Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dylan Moran??

• 08-09-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭

I went to see Dylan Moran last night in the Opera House Cork - saw him there in 2015 and OMG we were talking about how class he was for weeks..
    Have loads of his DVDs.. love his wit..
    But last night I was so disappointed.. he seemed totally out of sorts - like in horrific DTs.. shaking all over the place and he just looked like he was about to collapse.. drinking out of a coffee cup - loading it up with ice and water.. and twas like he was trying soooo hard... but it was just a load of dribble,.. like there were a few good lines but they were diluted in the waffle..
    He says he doesn't drink - is he off it? Or did he go on the lash Fri night? Or DTs from something else?
    A mate said that she went to see him Fri night and he was class..
    To me he looked like he went on the session after the gig Fri night and didn't wake up till an hr before the gig last night..
    Just so disappointed.. was soo looking forward to it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Would it be possible he had a bad flu or some such dose?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Has he not always had the shaky mic hand in his stand up stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

Has he not always had the shaky mic hand in his stand up stuff?

yeah I guess but he was totally out of sorts... like he had brain fog.. man.... grr.. feel robbed tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I was there on Saturday night too and was wondering if he's sick. He did look like he's about to collapse, was quite late coming on stage and the break felt like ages (I could be wrong there though, I didn't time it and I stayed in my seat, so it could just seem long to me).

He looked a bit better after the break though, whatever he did on the break clearly worked. He joked that "the doctor has been in and all", maybe that wasn't a joke at all?

I was there on Saturday night too and was wondering if he's sick. He did look like he's about to collapse, was quite late coming on stage and the break felt like ages (I could be wrong there though, I didn't time it and I stayed in my seat, so it could just seem long to me).

He looked a bit better after the break though, whatever he did on the break clearly worked. He joked that "the doctor has been in and all", maybe that wasn't a joke at all?

yeah.. dunno what the matter was with him.. but he was defo out of sorts.. such a pity - apparently he was grand last night.. apparently he is off the drink but i dunno.. i'd say he was joking about the doctor but none the less he admitted that he was "slow" (i think thats what he said) in the 1st half..

• Advertisement

Saw him last night- in great form but not "perfect"- but then again, I'm comparing that to a DVD which would tend to be perfect.

He was being recorded, presumably for a Christmas DVD- some excellent observations throughout the evening. Probably 1 hour 20 mins to 1.5 hours of platform time at most.

He "rambled" a bit too much without always delivering a killer punch- considering this show has been on the road since 2018 I was expecting a "tighter" show- but it still wasn't as you described OP, so maybe it was a truly not a good evening that night for him- and last night, maybe the cameras distracted him a bit also. He did make a "joke" about the previous night not being great because of the cameras, so would be interested to hear if anyone attended on Monday night this week.
    I laughed heartily for a lot of the show though so can't really ask for more than that i guess.

Saw him last night- in great form but not "perfect"- but then again, I'm comparing that to a DVD which would tend to be perfect.

He was being recorded, presumably for a Christmas DVD- some excellent observations throughout the evening. Probably 1 hour 20 mins to 1.5 hours of platform time at most.

He "rambled" a bit too much without always delivering a killer punch- considering this show has been on the road since 2018 I was expecting a "tighter" show- but it still wasn't as you described OP, so maybe it was a truly not a good evening that night for him- and last night, maybe the cameras distracted him a bit also. He did make a "joke" about the previous night not being great because of the cameras, so would be interested to hear if anyone attended on Monday night this week.
    I laughed heartily for a lot of the show though so can't really ask for more than that i guess.

thats how I would describe the whole show we went to..

there was something really wrong with him on our night..
    i had seem him once before and he was class then - one of us had seen him several times before and was surprised by his demeanour on this occasion... in any event, I look forward to the DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MikeBrosnan17

Any chance it was some quirky new style?

Any chance it was some quirky new style?

If being “not funny” is a new style, I’d recommend he rethinks that idea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I remember a few years back a European friend asked me if he was sick or something, said she saw him knocking about somewhere and he was using a walking stick, looked in bad shape.

Particulars of his health are none of our business but I would reckon he's probably not well.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I remember a few years back a European friend asked me if he was sick or something, said she saw him knocking about somewhere and he was using a walking stick, looked in bad shape.

Particulars of his health are none of our business but I would reckon he's probably not well.

no disrespect to you or him but I think it is when we are paying money to see him perform.. i dunno what was going on with him but he looked soo strung out.. worse for wear... you get the picture i am sure.. and he alluded to this fact as well - he said after the interval "sorry.. doc has been etc.." something to that affect.. basically - acknowledging that things we not quite right with him..

Delighted to have a chance to see Dylan's Dr Cosmos's show in better light tonight (when we actually saw this show the poor fella was v much out of sorts)..

https://dice.fm/event/nmab9-dylan-moran-dr-cosmos-uk-ire-8pm-bst-8th-may-uk-8pm-bst-london-tickets

Literally cannot wait..

Anyone else tuning in?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Just in case anyone is thinking of going to his current show..... DON'T! Was at the one in Vicar st last night and it was a car cash, he was clearly drunk and most of it just random crap with added "Jazz piano".

no way - seriously? we had tickets for one of the Cork shows but we got a refund cos we couldn't go for personal reasons..

The last time I saw him he was totally out of sorts.. we went to night 2 of 3.. but apparently he was great on the other nights

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Am afraid so.....I've never seen him live before but this was just sad to see, some of the material was good in fairness but the delivery was all over the place. The crowd just seemed bemused when it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭drserious4

Have head that it is a sad sight and that he is a shadow of his former self.

heard or read?

feck - maybe the days of seeing him live are over.. might just stick to the dvds I have of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Any updates on Dylan Moran? I heard he had a nightmare out in NZ. I'm not thinking of going to see him but just hoping someone has a positive update about the man himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dylan-moran-interview-comedy-sinn-fein-klqpshpwk

"While he’ll happily answer questions about his career, all queries of a personal nature are immediately shot down. Moran has openly struggled with alcohol issues and was reportedly drunk on stage at one of his stand-up shows in New Zealand in May.

But he’s loath to discuss his drinking habits or his general wellbeing. “I’m not offering my health up as an object of discussion in a media interview,” he says. Is he in good form, though? “I feel great today, thank you very much. Ask me again in half an hour.”"

we had a similar conversation here the other night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Xander10

years back, I'd have say he was the best in the business, with genuine originalality.

Turned into the Shane McGowan of the comedy circuit. I'd fear he might die prematurely.

Post edited by Xander10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭nachouser

In Vicar street years ago he did the whole "I'm not smoking a cigarette indoors, but I'm totally smoking a cigarette indoors." Great gig.

Never discover your potential is a great gag.

no unfortunately not

been rewatching some of his classic clips on YT though

his interviews with Conan O'Brien are some of my favs

Dylan's on Tommy Tiernan now

Advertisement