Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

• 05-09-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

Well folks. As this match will hopefully take on a life of its own I thought I’d start a fresh thread.

Common view seems to be that Kerry poked the bear in the first game and their chance is gone. I hope that is not the case but fear it may be.

What changes do ye see on either side? I think Kerry will make at least one change but they got most things right the first day and just didn’t execute as they would have wished. They will need to do something with McCaffery at the very least.

Dublin still strong favourites with the bookies and after a good look at Kerry they will be feeling confident I’d imagine.

Mod Edit: Couldn't be bothered writing another mod note. Suffice to say, same rules apply to this thread as the last one here.

Winner 235 votes

Dublin
    53% 126 votes
    Kerry
    32% 77 votes
    Draw
    13% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Let me just start by saying that, in advance of the match, the ref has robbed one of the teams.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Up the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I only see one winner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Slattsy wrote: »
    I only see one winner here.

In fairness only one team can win!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Someone put up the McBain gif.

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I predicted Dublin by two in the drawn game. Always gaveKerry a good chance and i'm even more worried for the replay so i'll give Dublin the nod by one point with no nails left to bite as they wont be grown back since last Sunday so might get cracking on the toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'd say it might be a bit of an anti climax.

Probably give ticket away and bring the dogs rat hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

Think Dublin will win by 6 at least or maybe more. Back to normal service again with 15 vs 15.

Dublin management will be prepared this time.

Any chance the OP could put up a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

kala85 wrote: »
    Think Dublin will win by 6 at least or maybe more. Back to normal service again with 15 vs 15.

Dublin management will be prepared this time.

Any chance the OP could put up a poll?

Good idea, poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good idea, poll added

No Draw option in the poll ?

• Advertisement

Thought there was ET this time?

Edit: I thought there had to be a winner on the day but it looks like another replay after ET if they finish level, as unlikely as that is. My mistake. I can’t edit poll now but perhaps a Mod can?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Do folk reckon that there will be tickets to be had outside the ground on the day? Haven't had the chance to go to many matches at all this season with an 18 month old and newborn at home but I'd chance cashing in my brownie points and heading in to see if I could pick something up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Probably be similar enough to 2015 (hopefully not weather wise!). Dublin always in control but only win by a few in the end. i'd doubt it'll be a full on tanking, but you'd never know either

The last day was Mayo/Dublin in 2016 all over again - a gigantic missed chance for Kerry. The positive thing is they'll be in plenty more finals in the coming years to redeem themselves but this one is too early for me

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Do folk reckon that there will be tickets to be had outside the ground on the day? Haven't had the chance to go to many matches at all this season with an 18 month old and newborn at home but I'd chance cashing in my brownie points and heading in to see if I could pick something up

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t plenty of tickets floating around on the day. There is no minor match and the 6pm throw in means a lot of the Kerry day trippers won’t travel.

Kerry and Dublin clubs will get something like an extra 10,000 between them. Number of neutrals and overseas will be way down on last week,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Kerry take their first half goal chances this time.

Kerry by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Its imperative Kerry take the goal chances
    Dublin no matter what the opposition are cough up chances, this cannot be denied. Even this year the rossies opened them up a few times. We cant be suprised by Kerry's two ten minute spells last week, Dublin gave this to teams.

What Kerry did really well was curb the midfield sector and block space for mannion and con. Very shrewd. Kickouts also very good. They will need this again but I really think Dublin will click. A few changes will help. I'm expecting it to be tight but the full 15 to see off Kerry by 3,5 points

Could you put up a poll on what the winning margin will be I wonder.

That's what I was thinking.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t plenty of tickets floating around on the day. There is no minor match and the 6pm throw in means a lot of the Kerry day trippers won’t travel.

Will all the extra tickets be taken by the dubs.

I didn't expect as much demand for the first day. Was there many tickets floating around after on the first day.

I think there will be more demand from neutrals for this one since the first game was so tight but the 6pm throw in makes it difficult to travel to and get home from.

Also sometimes people can only afford one day out so they might not travel the second day.

Sometimes replays don't live up to the first game. Difficult to know but I think Dublin with 15nvs 15 will be a different game completely.

The contrast for me is if kerry only had 14 for a full second half, Dublin would have walloped them

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Forge83

There’s a massive assumption that the replay will be 15 v 15 and Dublin will win easily.
    Dublin have had a red card in the last 3 finals, 2017,2018 and 2019. This logically would mean a higher than normal chance of another in the replay.
    You can be sure that Kerry will put pressure on Cooper and Small again to draw cards. The Dublin defense has cracks in it that will be exploited in the replay. Kerry missed 2-2 in the first half, they won’t do that again if they are given the chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sallins13

funny how Dublin have a great displinary record bar finals. 3 finals in a row a player sent off. Seems from the outisde like a plan but despite this they are going for 5 in a row. Hopefully next Saturday the ref wont have his anyone but Dublin glasses on and the game will be fair to both with the best team winning

Any team that is geared up to leave it on the field for a final runs the risk of lads not seeing it out. Dublin teams have always played like that. Even when not great/

you think that's what he will be remembered for? Really....

BTW, Freud had a whole category for people like you who are obsessed with other people's defecatory habits/

sallins13 wrote: »
    funny how Dublin have a great displinary record bar finals. 3 finals in a row a player sent off. Seems from the outisde like a plan but despite this they are going for 5 in a row. Hopefully next Saturday the ref wont have his anyone but Dublin glasses on and the game will be fair to both with the best team winning

Are you saying that there has been a conspiracy to dethrone Dublin? I can’t remember any of those red cards being particularly controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

better not be another up for the match ! Awful tv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

sallins13 wrote: »

It's strange. In the history of All-Ireland finals, there has been 21 red cards dished out. Seven have been to Dublin, which is 33% of all red cards. Kerry have had four, Meath three.

It's the first time in history there has been three straight years of dismissals too- twice has there been back-to-back years of red cards (Charlie Nelligan in 1978, Paidi O'Se in 1979 and Charlie Redmond in 1995, Liam McHale and Colm Coyle in 1996).

Record breakers in more ways than one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Tomas o Se reckons Kerry for Sam..... while we do have grounds for optimism in Kerry i think we need to realise that we played against 14 for 40mins and didnt even have a shot on goal in last 12 mins when we should b dominant given that the Dubs had a player less and should have been out on there feet....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If the Dubs don’t get away with the persistent fouling then Kerry obviously have a chance . If the Dubs get away with their persistent fouling then Kerry have no chance . It takes a strong referee to stand up against the Dubs .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Forge83 wrote: »
    There’s a massive assumption that the replay will be 15 v 15 and Dublin will win easily.
    Dublin have had a red card in the last 3 finals, 2017,2018 and 2019. This logically would mean a higher than normal chance of another in the replay.
    You can be sure that Kerry will put pressure on Cooper and Small again to draw cards. The Dublin defense has cracks in it that will be exploited in the replay. Kerry missed 2-2 in the first half, they won’t do that again if they are given the chances.

But will they not ?

Going back to the dontfould preview article of the first match the stats was brought up that Kerry's "inside" shooting percentage is 59% (0 – 23 from 39) in the games sampled.

This is much lower than Dublin's "inside" shooting percentage of 74%

Now you would need to read the whole article for more context, but on the face of it Kerry have not been converting the goal chances that they have been making and thus to suggest that they will not leave 2-2 behind them again is not necessarily the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

But will they not ?

Going back to the dontfould preview article of the first match the stats was brought up that Kerry's "inside" shooting percentage is 59% (0 – 23 from 39) in the games sampled.

This is much lower than Dublin's "inside" shooting percentage of 74%

Now you would need to read the whole article for more context, but on the face of it Kerry have not been converting the goal chances that they have been making and thus to suggest that they will not leave 2-2 behind them again is not necessarily the case.

It also ignores the fact that Dublin wasted their own goal chances and will be confident of creating more with 3 inside forwards for the whole game.

Am i right in saying Dublin created more scoreable chances on the day?

Advertisement