Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titans (DC universe, Netflix)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, a beat cop you could believe. A detective strains the credibility of the mundane.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭fitz

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, a beat cop you could believe. A detective strains the credibility of the mundane.

I wrote that off as something that would have been overlooked for a someone with connections to Bruce Wayne.
    They also refer to his partner back in Gotham as if they were a cop... I just assumed his "transfer" was based on a job history cooked up for him by Gordon as a favour, or something he had the resources to fake himself.

That he couldn't have organised a work history to get himself a job feels like it's a bit of a nitpick when you consider he has access to satellite surveillance systems and Wayne connections.
    Really don't think it's much of a stretch. He was no younger looking that his partner...

I actually enjoyed this more than anything DC have done with their universe on screen since Nolan's movies. Fight scenes were uncompromising (dodgy looking CGI blood aside) and the story moved along at a decent pace. Acting from Gar and Rachel wasn't terrific, some clunky dialogue in spots, but I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭pah

fitz wrote: »
    ... I just assumed his "transfer" was based on a job history cooked up for him by Gordon as a favour, or something he had the resources to fake himself

I assumed this also. He may never have been a cop in Gotham

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Have watched it on and off so only up to episode 8 but it's far better than I ever thought likely from the trailers. The characters are good and thread the needle between comicbook levity and its darker edge, the story interesting with some decent cameos from lesser known members of the DC roster.

It also swings pretty big in execution, unlike the CW DC shows that feel very limited by their rolling 3, 4 locations

The (end) title music gives me an awful headache though; it's bloody terrible gak. Rest of the music's quite atmospheric mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Casting news :Esai Morales has been cast as
    Deathstroke
    TVLine
    And Aussie actor Joshua Orpin has been cast as
    Conner Kent aka Superboy

Also should this thread be merged with the one in the Superhero’s forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Only started watching this recently on Netflix. really impressed with it so far, pretty dark etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Know nothing about the source material whatsoever but really enjoyed this show, much better than the CW superhero shows and for me, probably second to The Punisher in terms of overall quality.

The finale was particularly good. Looking forward to S2 and getting stuck into Doom Patrol before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

let me just begin with

OMGOMGOMGMOGMGOMGOGGMGMOGOGMGOGMGMOMGG

The Post Credits Scene!

*ahem* *chills out for a bit*

So anyway. I kinda watched this show spaced out a bit and then took a gap before watching the finale. Oh and what a finale that was!

For the show and season overall, I thought it felt more hard hitting, gritty and gorey than I'd been thinking it would be. Definitley R rated. Though the violence tones down a bit (compared to say Deadly Class) as the show goes on.

The
    Rachel/Raven and Trigon
    arc which the season revolved around was well done. I liked how Starfire, Hawk and Dove were explained to me. I liked the
    introduction of Doom Patrol
    . It definitely felt like cash was spent on the Writing, Direction, Special Effects, Travel, Fight Choreography etc of the show.

Did I mention the post credits scene? So like... I almost exploded out of my chair thinking
    Young Justice
    !!! Definitely want to see this pursued!

I'm guessing next season won't shy away from
    Wonder Girl and Superboy
    . Maybe they'll be central to the plot or could they get their own show?

Slydice wrote: »
    let me just begin with

OMGOMGOMGMOGMGOMGOGGMGMOGOGMGOGMGMOMGG

The Post Credits Scene!

*ahem* *chills out for a bit*

So anyway. I kinda watched this show spaced out a bit and then took a gap before watching the finale. Oh and what a finale that was!

For the show and season overall, I thought it felt more hard hitting, gritty and gorey than I'd been thinking it would be. Definitley R rated. Though the violence tones down a bit (compared to say Deadly Class) as the show goes on.

The
    Rachel/Raven and Trigon
    arc which the season revolved around was well done. I liked how Starfire, Hawk and Dove were explained to me. I liked the
    introduction of Doom Patrol
    . It definitely felt like cash was spent on the Writing, Direction, Special Effects, Travel, Fight Choreography etc of the show.

Did I mention the post credits scene? So like... I almost exploded out of my chair thinking
    Young Justice
    !!! Definitely want to see this pursued!

I'm guessing next season won't shy away from
    Wonder Girl and Superboy
    . Maybe they'll be central to the plot or could they get their own show?

They have already cast
    Deathstroke, Jericho , Ravager and Superboy
    so Season 2 looks like it’s going to be very interesting. Also Doom Patrol was used as Backdoor pilot for the show with the same name which is currently midway through its season. Completely different to Titans and a bit bonkers too. Swamp Thing is the next DC Universe show and is airing next month I think yet no promo has been released yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Iain Glen cast as Bruce Wayne for season 2

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/04/12/titans-season-2-adds-batman-bruce-wayne-to-be-played-by-game-of-thrones-star-iain-glen

Fun fact GoT exists in Titans as Raven was watching it in episode 2.

• Advertisement

Daxve wrote: »
    Iain Glen cast as Bruce Wayne for season 2

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/04/12/titans-season-2-adds-batman-bruce-wayne-to-be-played-by-game-of-thrones-star-iain-glen

Fun fact GoT exists in Titans as Raven was watching it in episode 2.

Makes sense to have an older Bruce, given the age of Dick. Good voice to have under the cowl

Makes sense, Grayson's arc could only get away with avoiding an on-screen Bruce Wayne for so long. They did their best with all those conveniently obscured shots in the various flashbacks, but sooner or later they had to have the two men in a room together. Glen's a good, underrated actor.

English actress Natalie Gumede has been cast in the recurring guest star role of Mercy Graves.
    Per Deadline, Titans‘ version of the DC Comics character is described as “the ruthless, cunning, right hand and bodyguard to the notorious Lex Luthor – serving her boss with unquestioned loyalty. Her connection to the Luthors runs deep, as Mercy has been a friend of the family and in Lex’s life since they were young.”

https://tvline.com/2019/06/12/titans-mercy-graves-cast-natalie-gumede-season-2/

Tragically, a member of the crew died during filming the second season; easy to forget that as 'fake' as TV fiction is, it still involves danger when coordinating action and on-screen violence:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/titans-crew-member-killed-after-incident-at-special-effects-facility-1203272469/
    A crew member of DC Universe show “Titans” died following an incident during rehearsal at a special effects facility in Toronto on Thursday. The stunt, which involved a car, went awry when a piece of the car broke off unexpectedly and struck a special effects coordinator.

Production will be shut down for two days.

“We are heartbroken and devastated by the passing of our treasured colleague, special effects coordinator Warren Appleby, after an accident which occurred at a special effects facility during the preparation and testing for an upcoming shoot,” said a Warner Bros. spokesperson. “Warren is beloved by all who worked with him during an impressive 25-year career in television and motion pictures. The executive producers, along with everyone in the ‘Titans’ family, Warner Bros. Television Group and DC Universe wish to express our deepest condolences, and heartfelt love and support, to Warren’s family and friends at this most difficult time.”

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I take it this hasn't been affected by the WB shakeup to the same extent Swamp Thing was?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh brilliant. Deathstroke for season 2.

Nice one. :D

titans-season-2-poster-full-1183880.jpeg
    Also Michael Mosley supposedly cast as
    Doctor Light

:)

Looking forward to it; occasionally a bit too edge-lord, but the back half of Season 1 really clicked into place.

Only quibble is that the trailer heavily infers that the cliffhanger from Season 1 is quickly resolved.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise how much I liked the Titans intro music!

Didn't realise how much I liked the Titans intro music!

Oof, opposite here. Like the show but that thumping intro music grinds my ears...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oof, opposite here. Like the show but that thumping intro music grinds my ears...

It kinda grew on me after Doom Patrol came out and I realised it was just for Titans. The idea of it being for all the shows didn't appeal. At first I thought it was gonna be like the netflix logo but for DC shows.

That wasn't the greatest opening episode really.

The first half hour was closing off the first seasons storyline the last 10 minutes was just introducing new characters and new location.

It felt very toned down. I thought the
    conversation between grayson and bruce
    was dull. The special effects early on looked cheap. I'm guessing that either they used this episode to save money or the budget has been cut.

It looks like a lot of this episode was filmed as part of season 1 and was intended to wrap up that story arc then but they carried it over so as to end season 1 on cliff hanger probably as they knew they were getting another season. Rachel's slight hair change seems to be when the new season actually picks up.

Not a great conclusion to that story but that's probably more to do with the timing and it would have felt better at the end of season 1. Anyway now that's out of the way and they've done a bit of a reset on with the story.

Rachels hair change almost looked like an entire look-change.

Did they pre-record some of the footage last season and then join it up with new footage this season?

Rachels hair change almost looked like an entire look-change.

Did they pre-record some of the footage last season and then join it up with new footage this season?

12 episodes were filmed for season 1 but only 11 were shown so episode 1 of season 2 is actually episode 12 of season 1 with about 12 minutes of new footage added.

http://collider.com/titans-season-2-review/#titans-season-2-images

Yikes, I hasn't known that. That's messy. Man, is some degree of chaos a prerequisite at all these live action DC shows? The CW seems to escape unscathed...

• Advertisement

2.2: Starting to feel like it's own season now. I don't know
    Doctor Light so this should be good!

The menace of Deathstroke hanging over them all too suddenly feeling real for Jason!

Advertisement