Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wine in Supervalu

• 06-09-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I’m looking to buy a nice wine for someone - either a Bordeaux or a Sancerre, budget of about €30-40 - but the only shop I can get to today is Supervalu. Would they have anything decent in that price range or am I wasting my time? Would anyone haven’t suggestions of decent wines in that price range? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Depends which Super Value your going too.

The old Superquinn in Blackrock for example would have plenty of Top price wines +€50 where as a local in rural Ireland not so.

Bit more info on what your looking for too,

Bordeaux is famous for its Reds, Sancere for its whites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

It wouldn’t be the greatest SV in the world, but it’s not too bad. I’d be looking for a red in a Bordeaux or white in a Sancere.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

I'd say you'd struggle so. Most smaller supermarkets wouldn't carry much stock of +€20 bar the odd bottle of Champagne.

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi guys, I’m looking to buy a nice wine for someone - either a Bordeaux or a Sancerre, budget of about €30-40 - but the bike shop I can get to today is Supervalu. Would they have anything decent in that price range or am I wasting my time? Would anyone haven’t suggestions of decent wines in that price range? TIA

you sure you're looking in the right place?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

you sure you're looking in the right place?? :P

That’s a fairly impressive typo, don’t know how I even managed that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you're probably wasting your time if it must be in that price range :(

If you want a nice red, these are lovely and I think a fan of Bordeaux reds would like them.

Guigal Cotes du Rhone €15
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1004709000

Also, the Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva for €22.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1010737000

3536650501002_3.JPG

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Actually if your budget is €30 - €40 as a backup maybe 2 bottles, one red and one white. I'm sure the person receiving the wine would appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Some of the rural ones have a decent enough stock too, I was in the one in Tower recently and it had a shelf designed to look like a vault with a selection of €50+ type wines. Not that I'd know anything about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The standard wine range in Supervalu is VERY tired - same old same old, year after year. Some of them though do have a 'cellar' (or similar) shelf with more interesting wines (my local does), although I would question just how long some of the bottles have been sitting out under lights. The Guigal above is a good choice. Just be careful not to buy a wine that's temporarily at an inflated €20 - €40 price before they drop it yet again for another lacklustre 'sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh at that price your better heading to O'Briens or another decent offie. If you are near the Phoenix Park the Hole in the Wall has an excellent selection of wines as well.

• Advertisement

Just in case any future Supervalu shoppers stumble on this thread. Some recommendations here from Irish Examiner:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/foodanddrink/wine-with-leslie-williams-celebrate-wine-sale-month-with-these-french-options-948807.html

e.g. Château La Garde 2010 Pessac-Leognan,Bordeaux red — €30

Advertisement