Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone use a Power Meter for running?

• 09-08-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

I've used a HRM previously but am considering using a Power Meter instead.

Has anyone had any experience with using a Power Meter. Would they recommend it over a HRM?

I've read that they have an advantage over HRNs because they give realtime feedback. HRMs can give misleading data due to weather, clothing etc.

Thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I have a Stryd power meter that I primarily bought to use for Zwift Run.
    I'm currently in training for DCM,so didn't want to use it for that,as I need to learn more about it, so once DCM is over I am going to start using it more.
    I also bought a book called Run with Power by Jim Vance and there is a Facebook page called the Palladino Power Project that has loads of useful information.
    My own thoughts are, its not so much a game changer rather just a different way of training but it is possibly more reliable than Heart rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

ewc78 wrote: »
    I have a Stryd power meter that I primarily bought to use for Zwift Run.
    I'm currently in training for DCM,so didn't want to use it for that,as I need to learn more about it, so once DCM is over I am going to start using it more.
    I also bought a book called Run with Power by Jim Vance and there is a Facebook page called the Palladino Power Project that has loads of useful information.
    My own thoughts are, its not so much a game changer rather just a different way of training but it is possibly more reliable than Heart rate.

I've seen that book recommended on the web. Do you recommend it?

There doesn't seem to be as much info for PMs for running compared to PMs for cycling.

From what I can gather there are two options for Running PMs. The Stryd that you have and a Garmin model.

I think there is only a few Watches that are compatible with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What kind of data are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've been using a Stryd Power Meter since May (post a conversation with their team at the Boston Maraton Expo), it's based on Critical Power (CP) which was previously determined via a series of tests or a recent 5k or 10k race. A recent update to the platform has introduced Auto-CP, which determins CP based on recent training history (30 days I think), for this to be accurate you need to have a cross section of runs, long, tempo and short fast bursts, 10 sec uphill is recommended.
    Stryd measures on several dimensions (acceleration, impact and force) and leverages a lot of common run metrics (cadence, vertical oscilation, ground contact time, leg spring stifness, etc). CP in turn determines your Power Zones.

My early observations have been.

Accuracy:
    You can change your watch settings to use Stryd for distance and pace while maintaining your mapping. They recommend using auto-calibration which I did initially and found it to be very accurate and after some track calibration I set mine to 1.01. I have run a couple of track races in the last few weeks and it has been spot on, previously with GPS this was never the case. Also it pretty much elimates poor pace data when running in tree covered areas or around tall buildings.

Real-Time Data:
    HR data lags, gps pace can be impacted by many things, power is instantaneous, if you are doing a session and targetting a zone, you know you are on it immediatley.

Hills:
    I would have had a tendancy to push too hard on hills, looking to maintain average pace, not have a split with 8:XX in it, etc. Running with power allows you to flatten out your effort, which should pay back in the latter parts of a session or race.

Relative Stress Score (RSS):
    A typical runner tends to manage their running week by number of miles run, I ran 60 miles last and will increase by 10% next week. What Stryd has taught me is that not all miles are equal and they carry different stress scores. Example, I ran a mile on the track this week which had an RSS of 13, a recovery mile this morning had an RSS of 5. I now monitor my week by my cumulative stress score.

I'm not fully following a power plan for my training, but as I ramp up my learning I'm dropping in certain elements. I'm in researching mode and I'm reading the Vance book referenced above and following several forums online. If you are a data geek you'll be in your happy place on these forums, if not it's an opportunity to learn a little more.

Is it a game changer, I don't know yet, obviously you still need to put the work in, but could it enable you to train a little smarter? Possibly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I ordered one on the 28th May, it's still not arrived. They have released a new version a few weeks ago which can measure wind resistance and they are shipping that one now instead. It's been a long wait. I will use it when training to gather metrics but I don't see myself training by it until the marathon is complete. Will be aiming at 5k and 10k after the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

digiman wrote: »
    I ordered one on the 28th May, it's still not arrived. They have released a new version a few weeks ago which can measure wind resistance and they are shipping that one now instead. It's been a long wait. I will use it when training to gather metrics but I don't see myself training by it until the marathon is complete. Will be aiming at 5k and 10k after the marathon.

What watch do you use? Do some digging to make sure it works with the Stryd unit. I have a Vivoactive 3 which, according to the Stryd website, works with the Stryd unit. But the software in the watch simply can’t cope with it, it crashes every time the Stryd connects to it.

It’s not an isolated incident either. Some digging around after I had the problems unearthed similar problems for other Vivo users. (As an aside, I wouldn’t recommend the vivo 3 for a runner for various reasons)

The Fenix range and higher end Forerunners seem fine, anything else you may want to google ‘Stryd & (watch name) problems’ to make sure you’ll be ok.

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    What watch do you use? Do some digging to make sure it works with the Stryd unit. I have a Vivoactive 3 which, according to the Stryd website, works with the Stryd unit. But the software in the watch simply can’t cope with it, it crashes every time the Stryd connects to it.

It’s not an isolated incident either. Some digging around after I had the problems unearthed similar problems for other Vivo users. (As an aside, I wouldn’t recommend the vivo 3 for a runner for various reasons)

The Fenix range and higher end Forerunners seem fine, anything else you may want to google ‘Stryd & (watch name) problems’ to make sure you’ll be ok.

Here's a list of watches that are ompatible with Stryd.
    https://support.stryd.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004924033-Stryd-watch-compatibility-chart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Bugsy2000 wrote: »

I've the Fenix 5 plus so no worries there. That's not great with the Vivoactive 3 though, will you upgrade the watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

The Polar Vantage V also does power but it is built into the watch rather than a footpod.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

digiman wrote: »

Since you ordered the old one, they will ship you the new version now - first orders are being fulfilled this week/next week I believe. New version is a improvement - measures wind speed, temperature, humidity, better connection antennae. The wind speed will basically enable you to run continuous effort into or with the wind.

I've had the old model since April and love it - I've actually ordered the new model and expect to get it delivered next week - I hadn't intended on getting it but they sent me a substantial discount after i enquired about it so i got it for 160euro delivered which was too good a price to pass up.

I find it most useful for:

Racing - keeps me from going out too fast in the first mile of race but lets me go fast enough. Heart rate will never stabilise in the first mile of a race so is useless.

Tempo's - I can run my tempos at the correct effort right from the get go and on a hilly or windy course no prob. Previously I relied on Heart rate and that takes too long to stabilise. going out too hard for the first 2 miles of a tempo ruins the whole tempo, going out too easy is inefficient use of time

Track Intervals - tempers my efforts on the first two intervals when I have a tendancy to go out too hard (like racing!).

the pace feedback from the stryd is unbelievably accurate.

I'm eager actually to try it for the XC season - I'm unsure yet though can it deal with the mud or will it get 'blocked up'

• Advertisement

I'm getting delivery of the new version - Stryd Wind - today. Since it seems to be so windy every day at the moment I'll be very interested to see how it works. I still have the previous Stryd version so will wear both on left & right runner for a week to see what the difference is, I have 2 Garmin connect iQ watches so should be able to pair them seperately to each device.

Thanks, If you get a chance let us know how they compare

Thanks, If you get a chance let us know how they compare

Only got delivery finally today so I did an easy run with both old and new on left and right feet paired to two watches. I was pleasantly surprised that both were always within 1 or 2W of eachother. It wasn't windy this evening so I didn't notice any great difference between the two whether I was with or into the slight breeze.

So couldn't see any difference tonight between the wind version and the old version but actually gained a lot of trust in the numbers the stryd is spitting out given they were so consistent with eachother.

I've used the new Wind version for about 2 weeks now. Initially I thought that the power numbers were the same old version / new version but after a number of runs I actually think that the Wind version has shifted everything around 23W higher. Which is ok in that its consistently higher but still I do need to kind of work out / revise the numbers for race efforts again whereas with the old one I was fairly sure and trusting of the numbers such that I was happy to race to a power target rather than a pace target.

The 'air power' contribution is interesting - you don't see in real time on the Garmin what the 'wind resistance' cost is, just the raw power number, but you can check afterwards in the data that wind was costing you up to 15-20% power in some cases. Of course you don't need to know the wind resistance contribution real time as the idea is to just keep a constant power output throughout the run/race.

I was interested to see how it performed on a treadmill when there is no wind or air resistance and it was spot on, always reading air power contribution 0% - again leads to better trust of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

What was the shipping time on the Styrd like?
    Are you liable for any customs charges?

Had a little tantrum with my Garmin foot pod today so need a replacement.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

I've been using one for a good while (original & now the Wind) & find it very good to keep even effort, makes a big difference on hilly events especially. Initially I got it to get me through Comrades but tend to use it for any long stuff now. In the Donadea 50k, meant there was only a ~50 sec difference between my first 25k & my second & I never had anything showing on my watch apart from running power.

As it happens I've a fully functional 1st gen footpod that I'm probably going to sell on if anyone is interested.

Count me as interested
    A new one right now is a stretch so let me know what you are asking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,941 ✭✭✭✭event

So what would a garmin footpod give you extra from your watch? I have the forerunner 245 so one of these be any good? Couldnt stretch to a stryd

event wrote: »
    So what would a garmin footpod give you extra from your watch? I have the forerunner 245 so one of these be any good? Couldnt stretch to a stryd

I'm open to correction on any of this -

I bought my first foot pod to get myself to the magic 180 steps per minute on cadence. Very useful for that. A lot of watches now though will do that themselves. Some coaches (I'm part of the McMillan Run Club at the moment) don't subscribe to 180spm any more

Next thing is for treadmill running. I've found the indoor accuracy of watches to be hit and miss and can rely on arm swing to estimate cadence. So, wave your watch arm like mad and you can be belting along!
    But the footpod translates well to Zwift when running indoors. It requires some calibration but is accurate enough to keep the treadmill sessions interesting and reasonably close to reality.
    That said, my Garmin footpod had recently started 'accelerating' on it's own. I'm running at say 12kmh and next thing it reports 32.2kmh without me changing pace.

This is why I'm looking at the Stryd. Accuracy is reported to be excellent and I'm curious about running with power. As a cyclist too, changing to power measurement has brought me on a lot

Be warned though, the Garmin speed/cadence footpod is no more. They have another one that measures loads of metrics but I don't think it works the same way. It clips onto your shorts and give ground contact time, vertical oscillation and other stuff I can't spell

Count me as interested
    A new one right now is a stretch so let me know what you are asking

I'll take a look to make sure all the bits are still there & stick a post in the Gear & Equipment subforum in a day or so. From looking on ebay, 2nd hand ones are going for €130+ but will be looking for less than that.
    event wrote: »

Footpod is really handy if you use a treadmill as Garmin's claim that some of their watches can work things out from your wirst is b/s in my experience. As it happens I've an old footpod that isn't needed anymore so will post that later on too.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    I'll take a look to make sure all the bits are still there & stick a post in the Gear & Equipment subforum in a day or so. From looking on ebay, 2nd hand ones are going for €130+ but will be looking for less than that.

No worries, I'll keep my eyes open for the post. I assume you won't be looking for the Brexit postage fees they have on eBay? :D

Ah I don't run on the treadmill, thought the footpod was for more than that. Cheers folks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Running along a coastal path in 45mph winds this afternoon, thankfully tail winds, and was thinking about the wind monitor on the Stryd footpod. Then I looked at the mud caked on my shoes and was wondering how it actually survives muddy puddles and what the chances of it falling off are?

I've never had it fall off but I chose not to wear it for Run the Line in the Dublin mountains last Nov as was worried it might disappear down a bog hole! It survived the Ballyhoura Moonlight challenge with no problems & that was impressively muddy in places.

Came across this on the Stryd fb group:
    Stryd is very water resistant, however it is not 100% water proof.

This means you can run through puddles, in the rain, and rinse Stryd in the sink. But, you should not run through streams, rivers, or oceans as these are high pressure environments and risk damaging Stryd.

I recommend to temporary remove Stryd for these conditions or stepping over them or with the foot that Stryd is not on.

robinph wrote: »
    Running along a coastal path in 45mph winds this afternoon, thankfully tail winds, and was thinking about the wind monitor on the Stryd footpod. Then I looked at the mud caked on my shoes and was wondering how it actually survives muddy puddles and what the chances of it falling off are?

It would not fall off if it was put on correctly - maybe if it took a direct hit of a branch or something but you'd want to be running through some pretty hardcore brush for that to happen. I've worn it for muddy XC races and extensively in muddy woods - no issue. when it gets very wet, running through deep puddles, it may stop reporting correctly for a few minutes as its 'wind' opening is blocked or is still draining but it really is quite robust. I wouldn't have a probelm running through a stream in it so long as it was only for a very short time and would have a change to drain afterwards.

Running through mud could lead to the wind opening getting blocked mid race and staying blocked - in that case you'd have unreliable feedback from it

Noticed something like that in the Dingle marathon as I was happily keeping jogging along (in the lashing rain) keeping an eye on the power number when it suddenly jumped by over a 100, reason was one of the buses taking the finishers from the half marathon back to base splashed me & the pod. It went back to normal after a few seconds but I did ask Stryd support about it & their first question was did it get splashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Came in here to ask if anyone knew anything about Stryd and found this thread.

For those that use it, would it benefit people at the lower end of the fitness scale or is it more for advanced training? I note Beep Beeps comment about having to have a variety of runs to build data.

Also, does it work for cycling too?

Came in here to ask if anyone knew anything about Stryd and found this thread.

For those that use it, would it benefit people at the lower end of the fitness scale or is it more for advanced training? I note Beep Beeps comment about having to have a variety of runs to build data.

Also, does it work for cycling too?

I am a big fan of the Stryd I bought through here.
    You need to accumulate runs and it'll calculate your Critical Power, similar to cycling FTP, and you'll have ranges to train and race at.
    I'm training towards a race that potentially won't happen if Ironman ever make up their minds so not getting the full benefit of the Styrd.
    But after a recent jump in running volume my CP has gone up. It's a nice piece of kit

But, sorry, no it won't measure bike power. That is still a more expensive add on

People still happy with their Stryds?

Might look at getting one

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm still very happy with mine. I'm mostly doing base miles at the moment so not much variety but the big changes I've seen since switching from pace only is that I feel less fatigued as I'm following the power number up hills rather than trying to maintain pace. Downhills are fun now as you can just freewheel down within your power range instead of trying to stick to pace. Generally I get home and am a little surprised at the overall pace average as it feels a little easier.
    I'm keen to see how it goes when I'm running at MP but I will be reverting to pace for shorter intervals.
    The Garmin Connect IQ app is ok. It'll provide you with a power range similar to the pace or HR range but it is pretty limited.

Overall, once this one packs in I'll be buying the newer version

Advertisement