Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's an easy decision - neither: They are both very expensive and 6 Kg of coffee a year is far to little. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Akula

Have a bailies 2x250g microlot subscription currently. Paying 15 a month and very happy so far given it’s just over 8 quid a bag.

Anything else very good value like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

cnocbui wrote: »
    That's €89 per Kg! I'd be wanting more like 4 Kg for that price.
    They're not meant to be bought at that quantity and you'll never see it in a cafe as a large-volume item. Some of these are particularly exceptional coffees that taste quite a mark above others, and there are definitely a few cups at this price range that have been unforgettable for me, can still taste them thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Also, most of those higher quality beans are roasted for filter and you generally have a better economy there vs espresso.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fixx are doing some Single Origin Bundles at the moment. You can get 3 for 30, 6 for 54 or 9 for 72. Havn't tried them or anything, but might be worth a punt. Free shipping over 50

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fixx are doing some Single Origin Bundles at the moment. You can get 3 for 30, 6 for 54 or 9 for 72. Havn't tried them or anything, but might be worth a punt. Free shipping over 50

Went to take a look at the deal and it says ‘The Team found a bunch of Single Origin coffees from this year which still have some life in them and would be perfect for anyone who wants to try different origins at a reduced price’

Feels like these could be pretty old beans / roast dates. Pity they don’t share more.

And only good value if you buy a lot of bags. And buying a lot of them and them already being old isn’t a good recipe.

Could be grand for somewhere high volume like an office.

At 3 for 30 + shipping it's not even that cheap for a cat, uhmm, beans in the bag. Admittedly, I have never tried their coffee, but it's unlikely that I ever will. From a certain price point up you expect the roaster to provide details on the sourcing, even if that in itself doesn't automatically mean you are looking at high quality beans. But if the description is very generic, that always puts me right off, as it's most likely cheap beans priced way above their value. Bourbon from Brazil and bourbon from a certain microlot or even a coop both fulfill the definition of single origin coffee, but there can be a world of difference between the two.

I missed that. I've had some of theirs a long time ago and enjoyed it, so took a punt as i got 20% off.

I'll grind them and bring them into work to share if needs be.

I'll have a bought worst in the past and will do in future no doubt

Arrived, 6 dfferent coffees. Fixx told me the roast date is 12 months before the BBE, not sure why they didn't print that. 3 from Feb then, 1 from march, then a few from May and June. Not great for most, nit probably fine for me given I've just finished my Bailies stuff that was roasted in March or April. Will give them each a go.

They have a bit more info in each individual one too, and no less than 3fe, but certainly less than Bailies whom I normally get from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Arrived, 6 dfferent coffees. Fixx told me the roast date is 12 months before the BBE, not sure why they didn't print that. 3 from Feb then, 1 from march, then a few from May and June. Not great for most, nit probably fine for me given I've just finished my Bailies stuff that was roasted in March or April. Will give them each a go.

They have a bit more info in each individual one too, and no less than 3fe, but certainly less than Bailies whom I normally get from.
    Quite expensive for such old beans ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Akula wrote: »
    Have a bailies 2x250g microlot subscription currently. Paying 15 a month and very happy so far given it’s just over 8 quid a bag.

Anything else very good value like that?

Was about to sign up to this exact sub. Using Baboa in Celbridge for the last 2 years looking for a change.

How do you find the beans and the variety they send?

£15pm for ongoing/rolling sub is decent value. I take it that the ongoing sub can be cancelled anytime?

BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »

How do you find the beans and the variety they send?

£15pm for ongoing/rolling sub is decent value. I take it that the ongoing sub can be cancelled anytime?

BobbyT28

I only just started it. And very happy with first bags. I believe you can cancel anytime so my gut feeling is you have nothing to lose by trying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bailies........6 or 12 month subscriptions only, you can't jump out at anytime during subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Came across a coffee roastery called Old Barracks roastery in Birdhill Tipperary. They roast their own coffee on site in the coffee shop. It's so so good. Not cheap but very very good coffee.
    Adults only coffee shop too. No kids but I guess they have awful trouble with that.

https://theoldbarracks.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Signed up to the ongoing sub. You have to do a minimum of 3 months before you can change sub. You can cancel ongoing sub at anytime after the 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Came across a coffee roastery called Old Barracks roastery in Birdhill Tipperary. They roast their own coffee on site in the coffee shop. It's so so good. Not cheap but very very good coffee.
    Adults only coffee shop too. No kids but I guess they have awful trouble with that.

https://theoldbarracks.ie

Jaysus they’d want to come to my house and brew the coffee each time I wanted one for the prices they’re asking.

I’m all for paying money for good coffee but that’s a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Running out - any recommendation for 1kg in the 20-30 range?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Running out - any recommendation for 1kg in the 20-30 range?

Haven't tried them but are about are the closest roaster to me

https://www.belllane.ie/product/whole-bean-subscription/

€27.50 a month pay as you go for espresso beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bell Lane might still have the 20% off FLASHSALE20 code working - you could try it! Think it is only off their blends, not single origin.

Dragonfly and Moondust are both great.
    Really fresh beans always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Rave Coffee

15% off single origins until midday tomorrow with DIVEin15

• Advertisement

vigos wrote: »
    Haven't tried them but are about are the closest roaster to me

https://www.belllane.ie/product/whole-bean-subscription/

€27.50 a month pay as you go for espresso beans.
    Seems odd they would charge more for the upfront sub! Am I adding it up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

J_E wrote: »
    Seems odd they would charge more for the upfront sub! Am I adding it up wrong?

Maybe includes shipping? Whereas shipping would be an extra €5 if ordering without a sub.

Yellowbourbon in England are doing a clearance of stuff roasted a few weeks ago as they were dialling in their new roaster. Mixed blend of 1kg each for a £10. Going to get myself a bag I think as it'll be 20 all in with Parcel Motel. Anyone else interested.

I've heard about them in another forum and decent things.

From the roaster
    a bunch of batches I used to dial in the new roaster. I blended them all together, it’s mostly Aricha but some new Kenya, some Guatemala and the new natural Ethiopia Shalaitu. Earliest roast date is about 3 weeks ago. Tastes bright and fruity.

For the record, they have 6-7 bags left. I'm going to order one this morning, if anyone is interested send me a PM in the next hour or 2. Probably need to be dublin based as I can deliver within reason there.

Yellowbourbon in England are doing a clearance of stuff roasted a few weeks ago as they were dialling in their new roaster. Mixed blend of 1kg each for a £10. Going to get myself a bag I think as it'll be 20 all in with Parcel Motel. Anyone else interested.

I've heard about them in another forum and decent things.

From the roaster

For the record, they have 6-7 bags left. I'm going to order one this morning, if anyone is interested send me a PM in the next hour or 2. Probably need to be dublin based as I can deliver within reason there.

Have you already ordered? Happy to chip in for a KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

HasBean have a 25% discount code for filling out a survey (take a few minutes).

The link to the survey is at bottom of the hasbean.co.uk site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

INTERNATIONAL COFFEE DAY!
    Our favourite day to celebrate, we're offering 20% less on all our coffee for International Coffee Day! Automatically applied at the checkout stage, the discount will be valid for today only. Enjoy!

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

This ad came up on an instagram and since looking at their prices i think it would be expensive if it were 20% of the cost let alone 20% off the list price

Shocking prices - anyone bought here??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They are about 3 times more expensive than Adams & Russell. I wouldn't buy from them.

I want to try this crowd next: https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt-kategorie/kaffees/

I dummied an order of 2.5Kg from them and it came to €54.6 inc shipping. From Squarmile, the same quantity came to €135.02.

Do you laugh or cry?

Expensive, but their small bags are 350g and they offer very cheap international shipping. I have never tried their coffee, but it's a recognised brand, not the least thanks to its co-owner James Hoffman, who is a coffee guru with a solid following on his youtube channel. What I like is that they suggest recipes, at least for some of their beans. I hope this becomes a standard that everyone follows some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Expensive, but their small bags are 350g and they offer very cheap international shipping. I have never tried their coffee, but it's a recognised brand, not the least thanks to its co-owner James Hoffman, who is a coffee guru with a solid following on his youtube channel. What I like is that they suggest recipes, at least for some of their beans. I hope this becomes a standard that everyone follows some day.

Think they offer free UK shipping too so the prices take account of that - they have a 350g bag of red brick for £10.50 which is fine pricewise imo

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    INTERNATIONAL COFFEE DAY!
    Our favourite day to celebrate, we're offering 20% less on all our coffee for International Coffee Day! Automatically applied at the checkout stage, the discount will be valid for today only. Enjoy!

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/

This ad came up on an instagram and since looking at their prices i think it would be expensive if it were 20% of the cost let alone 20% off the list price

Shocking prices - anyone bought here??

Square Mile are a top roaster and having 350g is great especially if you are brewing espresso where you always waste some dialling in. I really don't find that expensive at all for quality coffee. Have had some phenomenal beans from them in the past.

Advertisement