Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ARGO Cargo Bike Assembly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Step 3
    Bottom Bracket Link (Frame connector)
    Product recall Note: Stainless Steel one was sent out in April 2019. The original Bottom Bracket Link is also pictured(in black)

Pic_3_r.jpg

Step 4
    Attach Brake and Fork

Pic_4_r.jpg

Step 5
    Front joint for steering linkage

Pic_5_r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

leaving us hanging :)

mloc123 wrote: »
    leaving us hanging :)

Posting as I am building. Hopefully done by next week.

Step 6
    Join Middle and Front Section
    Pic_6_r.jpg

Step 7
    Mount Fork to Front Section
    Pic_7_r.jpg

Step 8
    Mount Fork Attachment to the Middle Section
    Pic_8_r.jpg

Step 9
    Attach Steering Link arm to the Fork
    Pic_9_r.JPG

Step 10
    Steering Linkage to Steering Arm
    Pci_10_r.jpg

Step 11
    Reflectors and Wheel Skewer
    Pic_11_r.jpg

Step 12
    Install Kickstand
    Pic_12_r.jpg

Step 13
    Install Rear Frame Section to Middle section
    Pic_13_r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Um, did you get any further?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Um, did you get any further?

Giving the box a few coats of paint (it is MARINE Ply) which has stalled progress

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

*cough*

Step 14
    4 Coats of paint (Had a 2.5l 'Wild Orcid' spare can; mix up when painting the house and shed doors last year. 'Wild Orchard' sounds so similar when buying in the paint shop :D)
    First 2 coats while cargo box was dis-assembled
    Box was then assembled on the Frame. Then removed box from the mounting brackets for the final two coats.
    Note - Barrel bolts supplied for assembling the box were poor quality. (Everything else has been fine) Wore thread off 4 of them even though used grease. Bought spares locally and were far better quality and so much easier to install.
    Pic_14_r.jpg

Step 15
    Remove Crank and Bottom Bracket on the Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Pic_15_r.jpg

Will have full assembly done by 16th Sep. Will post further pics then

• Advertisement

Step 16
    Install BBLink to the Bottom Bracket, install Crank Arms. Removed spider chain ring to fit crank arms to the required Nm (may need a lowered gear crankset into the future depending on usage)
    Pic_20_r.jpg

Step 17
    Fit bike to the Steering Linkage and BBLink
    Pic_19_r.jpg
    Pic_18_r.jpg

Step 18
    Tighten all bolts to the required Nm, do a recheck on parts

Step 19
    Surly LHT Bike with ARGO
    Pic_17_r.jpg
    Pic_16_r.jpg

Step 20
    Surly LHT Bike with ARGO Cover
    Pic_21_r.jpg

needed to install 2 hooks to the ARGO box for the cover.
    Pic_18_r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Looks pretty, enjoy the ride...

Question, how does the steering linkage behave? It looks like a vertical pivot through the frame but your fork will pivot according to the head tube angle. Is there some kind of a universal joint?

Question, how does the steering linkage behave? It looks like a vertical pivot through the frame but your fork will pivot according to the head tube angle. Is there some kind of a universal joint?

Should have taken a pic without the box when the ARGO was fitted.

Your understanding is correct
    I think the following
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=484477
    might provide you with the visual
    The SURLY Fork sits on this and is fixed with the skewer.
    as seen in the following
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=490764

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irishlenny

Hi - now you have it a while how does it handle and is it a slog with fullload ?

thanks ;-)

irishlenny wrote: »
    Hi - now you have it a while how does it handle and is it a slog with fullload ?

thanks ;-)

tbh - not used it a whole lot yet; the odd short trip. Use my regular bike most of the time. Hopefully will be using this Spring a bit more and when my young fella is 2+. Easy access to it is probably main barrier; need to buy a NEW house to accommodate it :D

Getting Custom Waterproof Cushion made for the child seat
    Pic_14_r.jpg
    Will upload a pic when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Can you fit a rain hood to it? Our family cargo bike as the cabrio cover, and I do feel it's a very good addition, especially with children in the box.

This has been answered already for the argo, but it took me a while to figure out how to decouple the steering linkage on the bakfiets to grease it. It was squeaking a fair bit. The solution to how to have a straight linkage between two points turning in independent arcs is very clever, and relatively simple.

There's a description here, but I still couldn't figure it out at first, but there's a small metal wire that goes through the sockets on the steering linkage and under the ball on the steering column and the fork and prevents the sockets from popping off. Other than that, they're basically two universal joints.

https://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/instructions-manuals-workcycles/reassembly-of-a-workcycles-kr8-bakfiets/

There's the ball on the fork, and there's an identical one attached to an arm at the end of the steering column that's turned by the handlebars:
    510793.jpg

There's one of the sockets, with the sprung wire in place; you have to remove this wire before putting the socket onto the cup, and then slide it back into place and push the arched part of the wire down till it clicks home snugly around the rod:
    510794.jpg

Apparently these clever little rod end bearings were invented in Germany in the 1940s.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Can you fit a rain hood to it? Our family cargo bike as the cabrio cover, and I do feel it's a very good addition, especially with children in the box.

That will be something I will need to source I reckon for West Coast of Ireland living, hopefully boards will come to the rescue on that. ARGOBIKES dont have one available so might need to see if I can fit one from a babboe or similar.

• Advertisement

If you want measurements of my bakfiets box, I can send them to you, so you can see whether it might fit the Argo. The cabrio cover is good. It warns you that you can't use it in the winter, but of course you can, but you do have to repair cracks in the clear plastic that result from low temperatures. I assume this would be a problem with almost any rain hood made of our clear flexible plastic.

If you want measurements of my bakfiets box, I can send them to you, so you can see whether it might fit the Argo. The cabrio cover is good. It warns you that you can't use it in the winter, but of course you can, but you do have to repair cracks in the clear plastic that result from low temperatures. I assume this would be a problem with almost any rain hood made of our clear flexible plastic.

Ya that would be great - is it similar to the one here?
    http://www.workcycles.com/products/child-transport-bicycles/workcycles-kr8
    (Image 5 of 5)
    Dutch winters are harder than Irish so can see why they would have to recommend, presume though storage indoors in the winter is problably key for the clear plastic when not in use?

If you want measurements of my bakfiets box, I can send them to you, so you can see whether it might fit the Argo.
    Did you order the cover when you purchased/ordered the WorkCycles Kr8 Bakfiets? or was it separate order?

Ya that would be great - is it similar to the one here?
    http://www.workcycles.com/products/child-transport-bicycles/workcycles-kr8
    (Image 5 of 5)
    Dutch winters are harder than Irish so can see why they would have to recommend, presume though storage indoors in the winter is problably key for the clear plastic when not in use?

It's very similar to that. I keep it in a concrete shed with no windows, so it's reasonably sheltered from the elements when not in use, but not from low temperatures. It just has a few cracks in the plastic, which I've backed with electrical tape. They're nothing major, and I've had it for about four years. Don't even obscure the view. They tend to develop where the cover folds the most during lifting and lowering.

I saw something in Woodies that would fix it better than electric tape. Sort of a clear patching material. If it ever gets bad, I'll use that.

You can get a general idea of dimensions in cm from this image, but (the long-base is the one I have) you might need other details, so do let me know.

496345.png

Did you order the cover when you purchased/ordered the WorkCycles Kr8 Bakfiets? or was it separate order?

I ordered from GreenAer and it was an option to get it at the same time, and they fitted it; but you can definitely order it separately. I added a few extra washers though, as they way they did it the spacers were digging into the wood slightly when the canopy was raised and lowered. I liked the way they used Presta lock nuts as spacers though. Don't know if that was GreenAer's idea or Cabrio's.

I think to fit it, you just need to drill two holes for the ceiling pivot arch to attach to the box, and fit some snaps on to the front of the box to secure the canopy there. And two plastic cleats to the back, for elastic straps to attach to, to stop the wind blowing the canopy open.

This is exactly the cover I have, and exactly the bike:

511096.jpeg

full_box_dimensions_reduc.jpg
    ARGO Box Dimensions
    511281.jpg

looks similar in size to the shorter base bakfiets @tomasrojo

Yeah, if you get a cover suitable for the short-base bakfiets, it might fit; I'll have a closer look at this in an hour or two.

You can use spacers if the skeleton of the canopy is too wide. As I said, a couple of presta locknuts are what's used on mine as spacers.

Yeah, the short-base cabrio cover might work. It's slightly wider at the front and back than your bike's box, but that's better than being too narrow. I think you could have the metal frame of the canopy anchored on the outside of the box rather than the inside.

It's too short by a few cm along the length though, which I'd have some misgivings about.

• Advertisement

It's too short by a few cm along the length though, which I'd have some misgivings about.
    Yeah agree, canopy rain cover looks to be a snug fit so those 5cm would be a bridge too far.

Advertisement