Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget lunches

• 05-09-2019 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Any suggestions for a cheap takeaway lunch in the city centre? €5 or less, not including a drink.

Thanks

Comments

You will get a roll in most delis for around the 5er or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

McDonald’s happy meal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mac Ds eurosaver menu, their wrap of the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Childrenswear

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Are any of the delis nicer than the others?

Or is there any place a bit different? Not necessarily looking for a sandwich or burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think Classico on Forster Street have some pretty good deals. Four Star Pizza also do a slice and drink deal, as do Pizza Napoli on Cross Street and I think Apache on Dominick Street do too. You might find a good sandwich in Esquires in Eyre Square. Personally, I like rolls at the Spar on Headford Road O'Hehirs Bakery make lovely sandwiches and rolls but are probably about 6.50 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not being funny, but if you're trying to save money it's cheaper to bring a lunch from home (e.g. sandwich or leftovers). Not always possible, but the savings over even a short length of time are pretty big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Subway are good, no extra for all salads.

Mccambridges do s crackin soup , think the small is less than €2.50 and I find it enough . They also have a decent salad bar

Napoli do a massive slice for €3.90

Think you get a roll, wedges & water in gala prospect hill for a €5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not being funny, but if you're trying to save money it's cheaper to bring a lunch from home (e.g. sandwich or leftovers). Not always possible, but the savings over even a short length of time are pretty big

I second this. A pack of 5 bagels (less than 2 Euro), a pack of sliced cheese (2 Euro), a cucumber (1 Euro) and chutney (2 Euro) would give you a week of lunches for 7 Euro. If you shop at Aldi it’s cheaper still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I second this. A pack of 5 bagels (less than 2 Euro), a pack of sliced cheese (2 Euro), a cucumber (1 Euro) and chutney (2 Euro) would give you a week of lunches for 7 Euro. If you shop at Aldi it’s cheaper still.

You've left out the meat :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions, some I didn’t know existed, like Esquires. Will have to check them all out!

Absolutely, bringing in lunch is the cheapest option, but it doesn’t always happen for one reason and another. And there are so many places to eat in town, I was sure there should be some cheap and delicious options around!

• Advertisement

Wards on university road are excellent if you want a nicer deli, will cost you about 6 euro though. I wouldn’t get hung up on hunger 5 euro, I spend over 5 euro on my sandwich everyday and really it’s nothing in the grand scheme.

Couldn’t be dealing with bringing lunch, not near as nice and it’s just hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Esquires is good, but you'll get very little there for a fiver.

Wards is on university rd, not college Rd.

Mccambridges sandwiches are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Wards on college road are excellent if you want a nicer deli, will cost you about 6 euro though. I wouldn’t get hung up on hunger 5 euro, I spend over 5 euro on my sandwich everyday and really it’s nothing in the grand scheme.

Couldn’t be dealing with bringing lunch, not near as nice and it’s just hassle.

Wards is on Universty Rd

paconnors wrote: »
    Wards is on Universty Rd

Sorry meant to say university road.

Thanks, I’ll have to have a scout around town some day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd sooner eat my shoe than anything from a "Deli".... yuck! Plus you'll be hungry again within an hour or two (or worse, just feel rubbish).

Eating out is expensive... if you can put up with the hassle, bring your own, its the cheapest.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'd sooner eat my shoe than anything from a "Deli".... yuck! Plus you'll be hungry again within an hour or two (or worse, just feel rubbish).

Eating out is expensive... if you can put up with the hassle, bring your own, its the cheapest.

I eat form delis most days and find the majority of them both very nice and filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The ask from OP is cheap delis, not personal opinions on eating out is good or not.

Stay on topic folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I think the best value lunch is soup and brown bread. You'll find a lot of places offering it for under €5. The Cellar do a good one for €4.50 but I'm sure you'll find cheaper.

I haven't been for a while but Riordans on Quay Street used to do soup for about €3.60, nothing fancy though.

Edit: Just saw you were looking for takeaway. I'm sure there are takeaway soup and roll places too! Spar, dunnes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Pasta and Pizza di Napoli on Cross St did a slice of pizza and a can of pop for €4.90. Hopefully they still do it, when we travel from Meath every year we always stop by for it and donuts from Boychik...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Dunnes do a large pick-and-mix salad bar box for €5... as much as you can fit in. There are really tasty options and very filling. Smaller boxes available too. Normally go to Dunnes in Briarhill but I'm sure Eyre Square have the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Dunnes do a large pick-and-mix salad bar box for €5... as much as you can fit in. There are really tasty options and very filling. Smaller boxes available too. Normally go to Dunnes in Briarhill but I'm sure Eyre Square have the same.

I work in town and get lunch at Dunnes most days. The small salad tubs are only €2, and with a bread roll, apple and banana it comes in at less than €4. They also do sandwiches at their deli counter (max €4), and if you have access to a microwave, they do the Cully and Sully soups in tubs for around €2.50

McCambridges soups are lovely as someone mentioned, €2.50 I think for the small one, and they do lovely scones as well. There’s dozens of places that do salads or sambos for €5 or less, Gourmet Tart, Spar etc, and all the fast food places do deals as well

I forgot about Dunnes! And Napoli’s pizza is definitely delicious and good value. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any suggestions for a cheap takeaway lunch in the city centre? €5 or less, not including a drink.
    Thanks
    Was it for this article? :P
    FOOD FOR A FIVER IN GALWAY

zell12 wrote: »

I hope not: Noodle House has been closed for years.

Actually... I think it closed before Tucos opened!

Research FAIL!

zell12 wrote: »

No, absolutely not!! Was that published recently? Certainly some of the language used makes me think they read this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, that was published in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

Lime do an amazing take-away noodle box for €5.

I've recently heard good things about the sandwiches sold in Eurogiant. Pre pack, but fresh because office workers are buying them in numbers. And very nice prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

Personally, Charcoal Grill near Cross St and McDonalds would be a good option for a budget meal. You might get a drink and burger in Charcoal Grill for €4.

Advertisement