Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

club membership fees timing

• 05-09-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

do gaa club membership fees run from January 1st till December 31st or is it twelve months from when you pay.

Ive to sign up a few kids and wonder if ill be hit again on the 1st January for membership fees again, or will the membership last for 12 months from now and thus i wont have to pay till next September.

im too embarrased to ask the club as its only 280euro.

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

€280 is a fair whack - how many kids is that for?

Also the fee would cover January to January from all my dealings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

GAA membership is based on a January to December calendar. It's not a rolling twelve months.

If you paid your membership in October 2019, it would fall due in January 2020 again.

Croke Park require a list of members by March 31st (or something like that) for insurance purposes.

Clubs will accept late members. Membership cash is the lifeblood of any club and they are delighted to get it.

In theory, you can't vote at a Club AGM if you are not registered by 31st March, but the enforcement is light touch.

€280 could only be a Dublin club!!! That's a big fee for a GAA Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Am gonna guess the 280 is a typo and the actual figure is 28 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

not a typo, 140 euro for a kildare commute belt club. two kids at 140euro is 280euro. sure ill take the hit and pay it again in january if it as you suggest january to january. then ill get 12 months when i pay in january

if thats alot, what are the kids rates for clubs outside Dublin/kildare.

• Advertisement

140 per kid is absolutely extortionate.

Do they get some free gear? Do they get fed after training for that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

My club in Galway is €50 for Senior players, €25 for Non-Players, €20 for Students/Juveniles

140 per kid is absolutely extortionate.

Do they get some free gear? Do they get fed after training for that money?

no, but they have the benefit of paying 2euro for each training session. and volunteers coming around looking to sell lottery tickets and sponsorship cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

20 here for juveniles and 50 if you havw nore then 3. Even local rugby club is 60 per child and 200 for family. Your club must have sone serious overheads or are using membership instead of fundraising to pay County board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

sdraobs wrote: »
    not a typo, 140 euro for a kildare commute belt club. two kids at 140euro is 280euro. sure ill take the hit and pay it again in january if it as you suggest january to january. then ill get 12 months when i pay in january

€110 per kid in a Co Galway club which I think is a lot higher than other clubs in the same county.

jimmy86 wrote: »
    My club in Galway is €50 for Senior players, €25 for Non-Players, €20 for Students/Juveniles

My home club in Kerry is €120 for seniors and €60 for kids - and I think we are one of the most expensive, if not the most, in Kerry

Adult, Student & Juvenile membership are all the same amount? That's nuts.

Also why do they bother with 3 line items- just call it membership if it's all the same price.

That's robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

€170 per year total for 2 Kids. No additional Fees per Training Session. North Leinster.

I don't think you should identify your club by posting its website.

People talk.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I don't think you should identify your club by posting its website.

People talk.

That carry on needs to be exposed - pure robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

People tend to have a right moan about GAA fees yet don't seem to have problems paying far more (per session) for other activities.

Kids tend to get at least 30 "sessions" (one session a week for 30 odd weeks) for their membership generally, works out at extremely good value per session. This is even better value as the kids ages and number of sessions go up.

The facility cost is usually a big part of any club membership cost, I know a number of clubs who have invested significantly and have substantial debt around their facilities - in order to cater for growing local populations.
    The ongoing running costs of a club are significant and again, there's plenty people complain and moan, but if they wanted to change things and do a better job, there's a fairly easy way to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

What's the average membership these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

How much is two mile house , kill or eadestown all within a 5-10 minutes drive of naas I doubt it's 280 for 2 kids.

€75 for a full family in my club Robertstown only 15 minutes out the road.

kippy wrote: »
    People tend to have a right moan about GAA fees yet don't seem to have problems paying far more (per session) for other activities.

Kids tend to get at least 30 "sessions" (one session a week for 30 odd weeks) for their membership generally, works out at extremely good value per session. This is even better value as the kids ages and number of sessions go up.

The facility cost is usually a big part of any club membership cost, I know a number of clubs who have invested significantly and have substantial debt around their facilities - in order to cater for growing local populations.
    The ongoing running costs of a club are significant and again, there's plenty people complain and moan, but if they wanted to change things and do a better job, there's a fairly easy way to do that.

The club are charging a training fee on top of the membership - that's nothing other than a pat down

• Advertisement

My club in Munster

Juvenile €40
    Adult €80
    Family membership (two parents and unlimited children) €120

Very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ours was either €260 or €280 that was membership for two kids, full membership (with voting rights) for one parent and a social membership for the other. Subs aren't collected during the year for training so I think it's ok. By comparison the kids also play rugby and I've to pay €80 a season for them both, or €100 if i wanted to be a member too, and €5 a week subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

My own club charges €192 per annum for a single player, think its €70 for nursery or €384 for family membership. Includes a lotto subscription. It's good value as far as I'm concerned. Kids train twice a week, for in excess of 40 weeks of the year, plus 20-30 matches a year depending on age grade. Effective cost in the region of €2 to €3 per session/game. Having paid for Ballet, Ballroom, Soccer, and various other activities over the years, I don't feel that I'm being ripped off. Dublin Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

€130 for a senior playing member in my club. It comes down in price for unemployed, students and underage but not 100% sure of each price.

When I lived at home in Kerry it was €80 for a senior player, €60 for unemployed or student. €30 for a kid.

€140 for a kid is absolute robbery.

The club are charging a training fee on top of the membership - that's nothing other than a pat down

Missed that piece - that wouldn't be common in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Insurance might be the reason some clubs make it compulsory and include in the annual fee, others leave it up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You shouldnt take the hit. A family orientated club should be able to work out the ratio for a three month or four month membership.The treasurer shuld be able to do the sums.
    If they dont put a motion before the first A.G.M. you are entitled to attend to amend the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭celt262

My Club €30 for adults, €20 Students/OAPS and €10 for Juvenile.

Edgware wrote: »
    You shouldnt take the hit. A family orientated club should be able to work out the ratio for a three month or four month membership.The treasurer shuld be able to do the sums.
    If they dont put a motion before the first A.G.M. you are entitled to attend to amend the rule

Yeah, the treasurer has feck all else to be doing in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We're €60 per child, with a discount for the 2nd/3rd etc. We pay a couple of euro a week for subs, goes towards paying refs apparently, jerseys, team outings apparently. Our renewals are due by March I think.

I would ask them whether they can knock it down for the last couple of months of the year.

Advertisement