Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cyclocross 2019-2020 - The CXy thread

• 03-09-2019 9:19am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Since Rob & Lenny are asleep at the wheel - I'll get this season's thread started

Race entries for the Supercross cup open tomorrow according to their Facebook page - dates are below (venues TBC as of this stage)

Sept 22 - Dublin
    Oct 6 - Dublin
    Nov 17 - Dublin
    Dec 15 - Wicklow

RND 1- SEPT 22ND 2019
    Grange Castle

RND 2 - OCT 6TH 2019
    Tymon Park

RND 3 - NOV 17TH 2019
    TBD

RND 4 - DEC 15TH 2019
    Russborough House

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

want me to correct the thread title for you?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Aaargh- yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hopefully will do more than 2 this year. :cool:

Oldcastle CC are running two races I see.

3rd and 10th of November in Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

For anyone over 35 still on Facebook Sean Rowe has a list of the races
    photo.php?fbid=10220641007719666&set=basw.Abr47oqWzcPEWXKd8z00uLjy5ZV_Urn_oHs1MNMw1rgiqi-5usr3bF98qWaZcNBVhqCW69iD_I_x9DtzqI0OFgNWXZFDBSFKm07pi4UKlHKPQti62_Mh4wEedE5DAiBR4WTNkRbNz0gVNdkrvUbB-UtP.10220641007719666.10151800494421973.10219456927518401.10151286035236973.10219456939758707.10219456938358672&type=1&opaqueCursor=AbqDq4eBTUK9sNy-5MXhwPfLpp5cf37SX4u_aU8kDNs1tW4oSOD4XWkCQKaYYH-5ISbNqf19wgbT4dD_C-B4vxQ6k9b7yD-niOYt480O7oIRZGet-qr_HH7tglmaksWZCtdCSRM8SKbPDZ-7cu4_-wOb3cFpHcSHdC4gXRqSvN1G0pleN0cmsT3myRytE6vAT1lmfoqg2WmGA9w3a1SysQ1UJWgo-Rj1b3nHsyPN9tk-T7jAJvaocWM2OTRuAkGE-dQSvvOW64WwX5DHBWA0uMbXiUD4sUvg8Dc7encIyZLcn2lN88ZB56O6HUfR6qZNFFYXhAch7vSsdMoOwP3UCgJNnbGIma4aWnowC7ZB6mGhkICQHWbscBvC1qJRdcGdYycaWSkx40iyOs9_wTH8uJ3DRI8wWimoy-KyWC27cMEQPfnHPLGvbcqzadjJVavg02o-82ovdQ70Q0euTUnj4SA6EhyM-spVnIutT0fnXCsm0_e4yqzHr8uqDreBMVJ8XYaI82sAGmLjWY7jZVUHxBWFu7uD2ZlAnSwfUXCN3k-0R4z950h-Xwn18NK8kN-jn7m7kWLT3fUii86in0djNn7E2vGL8y6F2Et4JohU3XPZ52sLIKUrOZ_TGUOiohKr9NoC8vNBBvZLEhNNyzaRtzK8loBF2BGBiE_9Cfod_AtM54BIeta6di0Y84O4fFAxfB46Cgd9-0iD2jgtDVYTfPbbW0_d2KSwSa61LmJVOlUNZY7-nqbo0awTPBRkGAfhULSY8WYnJxyRIPrBS3zY5kZqXemsbVYeCnThy0G_bpamxkBSXJkHSp4k2aQ8LWQCrvEITHG-K45vMdXtwqHT4WUOODd0pDyMLhmkxdTjwq0eB3OnNuILKaCX5aIqrjpLMEkVPe89cnu2imm__3L-YZvd7LnUjjOoMvheBf_t1GZhtw&theater

For anyone using google calendar Gareth Gibbons copied Sean Rowe's list
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=c2VnM3M0aXIydWxsZDFoa3I2c3JuNW9kdGNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ&fbclid=IwAR1IKoQ1lgw5oSKajNcbr2kX3REMcA3NdOXJVU5xpd0lsE0M24GVD4T1lnU

Tried to add the image into the message but failed.
    Trying now as an attachment

Pre season training has gone amazing well as 4 of us got an entry for the 3 Peaks race so probably fitter than usual for this time of the CX year and definitely 110% better at walking up hills with a bike on my shoulder :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

It's mandatory to select all 4 races on that form, how do I sign up for 1 race, if that's possible?

Last year they made them available in advance of each race although the timing was erratic so just a case of keeping an eye out on social media for updates - B race entries sell out very quickly from experience of last year

Ta, would be on for all 4 but life usually gets in the way. Are all cx races more expensive than the €17 road races? I'm guessing individual races are around €25 based on the €90 4 race package

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Did anyone get an entry to the Three Peaks Cyclocross on Sep 15th?
    It's part of EF Education First's Alternative Calendar, so Lachlan Morton could be racing it.
    GCN might cover it again this year. Last year Niall Davis (of CX World Cup fame) was in the group with Simon Richardson (of Rás winning fame).

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/513490152743525/

There's also the Lakeland Gravel Grinder on October 12th in Fermanagh.

• Advertisement

Whyner wrote: »
    Ta, would be on for all 4 but life usually gets in the way. Are all cx races more expensive than the €17 road races? I'm guessing individual races are around €25 based on the €90 4 race package

Yeah €25 each last year

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

This looks awesome!

Single round entries now available for Grange Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Next years thread can be called "I'm too CXy for my bike, bikes going to leave me"

hoping to do the gravel grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Signed up. Can't wait. Only did a half-arsed season last year and I think it really affected my form and motivation going into 2019, so looking to be a bit more committed now!

Heard the Oldcastle race was great so delighted to see it's back on the calendar, feedback from the course was that it was a "proper" CX course.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

MUNSTER CX LEAGUE '19. RACING / ‘LC’ LICENCE REQUIRED.

6th Oct. St. Finbarrrs, TEMPLEMARTIN, Co. Cork
    20th Oct. Clonmel CC, CLONMEL RACECOURSE,
    27th Oct. Greenmount, LIMERICK RACECOURSE (non-league)
    3rd Nov. Revolution CC, MALLOW TOWN PARK
    17th Nov. De Ronde CC, TRAMOVE VALLEY PARK
    1st Dec. UDCC, UPPERCHURCH, Co. Tipperary
    8th Dec. Over the Hill cc, WATERGRASSHILL
    25 Dec. Santa CC, LAPLAND, North Pole (non-league)
    29th Dec. Youghal CC, CLAYCASTLE BEACH

And for those of you still wondering about preparing for the season:

https://www.cxmagazine.com/ireland-old-velos-seven-stages-cyclocross

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Lachlan Morton was 4th in the 3 Peaks CycloCross today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2cPDN5Bizz/

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Grange Castle today for 1st CX race in quite a long while. Happy enough with how it went despite starting way back but that was more choice due to fitness. Massive numbers today, and good individual battles throughout. Have always liked Grange Castle as a first race, nice course to get ya back into the hustle & bustle of CX racing. Prefer a more 'flowy' course but all in all good set up from the organisers as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was a bit dubious about such a massive field in B but it worked out pretty well. And the rain held off. :)

As a less than committed Cross Rider with terrible bike handing skills I really enjoyed it. Started a good bit back so eventually got lapped by the fast guys at the end. Good craic battling a few guys in front and behind me.

Cracked a rib coming off that tight off-camber bit last year so I was a bit nervous of it this time around. Managed to ride it perfectly once, mangled it once and ran it the rest. Was much faster running!

Good to see lot's of Boardsies getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

There's a round of the Ulster CX on the Sunday after this, not far from this if anyone fancies a weekend on the CX bike in Fermanagh.
    That's out plan anyway. Not be too much speed on the Sunday though I'd imagine

• Advertisement

first cx race in about two years yesterday. God, i forgot how hard they were. Was good to catch up with people, although I couldnt catch up with robfowl. I'll get him next time!!

Speaking of which, next time will be on a single speed.

492509.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Was that the one inTymon park ? How was the course after the heavy rain ?

muddy in parts, gloopy in other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Meanwhile in the Munster Cx League there was ...

Another Ambush at Crossbarry

Confusing enough that the opening round of the Munster CX league in Ireland was called Crossbarrs, located near Crossbarry and hosted by St. Finbarrs CC, but that it was won by Richard Barry who ambushed race favourite Richard Maes, and the whole field, means I must name him first. Anything else would leave us discombobulated

‘St. Finbarrs’ Richard won the St. Finbarrs Crossbarrs cross race near Crossbarry.
    “Which Richard?”
    “Amn’t I after tellin’ ya? …. Barry!”
    “Hang on, who’s Barry?”

Let’s get back to the field. The Atlantic’s ‘Storm Lorenzo’ brushed past Ireland two days before the race, and while its wind did not blow as hard as foretold, the rain that followed left us in no doubt that something was in the air. Sheets of rain bounced off the garage windows as I prepped my bike on Saturday, while torrents of run-off water washed down the saturated field onto the motocross course our laps would share. The organisers were worried, ‘would the event even go ahead?’ Met Eireann suggested it could, so on Sunday we all turned up for a race in a field only a drowning man would call land.

My ‘OldVelos’ 1981 Alan Super Cross hadn’t seen the light of day since last year’s national champs, so as I checked cables, chain and tyres I had made a mental note about mud-plugging gears. I had already made a bold change to my trusty antique by fitting STI levers. A difference they do make, cute and all as bar-end levers may be. Good too, as this was a course that would require many gear changes.

The drenched field was not the only challenge of the course. After interminable switchbacks, which allowed spectators witness the sticky progress, the ground eventually hardened, and a lip brought us on a nosedive to a track more used to motorised bicycles. Our acoustic versions couldn’t quite enjoy the higher burms on offer, but with a little effort and extreme concentration the course allowed riders make decisions on which rut to follow. This was without doubt the fastest part of the course and gave enough hard ground and pools to disperse some of the brake and bottom bracket encrusted mud. The freed wheels induced even more whizz in some, no more so than another Richard, Cleverly, who treated his many fans and event photographers to table top bunny hops.

Those airborne wheels would soon find themselves levitating again as riders returned to the quagmire. The jump-offs were coming earlier and earlier as the ground got chewed up, better to shoulder the bike in motion than to come to a sudden soggy halt. Good runners profited from fitness and studded shoes and in this field there are few to match the men, women’s and junior winners Richard Barry, Blarney CC’s Fiona Meade and Fionn Desmond. Richard was easy to distinguish in his distinctive helmet, Fiona’s outfit was more subtle, like the former Irish champion bands on her sleeves, Fionn emblazoned MBCC. All could be found 2 minutes ahead of their field.

There was no matching these riders today, so our eyes were drawn to second places and other age category match-ups. Trevor Woods excelled himself in 2nd, profiting from a long triathlon season. He would also take the M50 title, ahead of Midleton’s AJ Murphy, National Hill Climb Champion. Nessa Rochford, of the colourful De Ronde van Cork CC, took second in the ladies, Dave McCarthy in the pink of the new Pi Cycles-Verge outfit. Third place in the seniors and ladies was shared by Strata3 riders Aggie Wozniak and a coughing, spluttering, Richard Maes. Their teammate Patrick Clifford took 4th, and along with it the M40 jersey.

In the B-race, where I had been embedded, a convincing display and first B-league jersey for race sponsor McCarthy Cycles’ Luis Mota. This league and novel jersey will be worth watching as novice CX riders ride themselves into the A race. There they must prepare for even more mud-slinging and surely another ambush, possibly as soon as round 2 in Clonmel in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

secman wrote: »
    Was that the one inTymon park ? How was the course after the heavy rain ?

One of the best course I've raced (and I've been at it the last 4 years)
    Great mix of technical off camber, technical singletrack style and fast open sections
    Quite challenging, but thankfully not the mudfest that may have been expected - the grassy sections held up well
    Great to see such big numbers, really makes for great racing,whether you are battling for podium or down the back battling for 50th ;)

boomdocker wrote: »
    battling for 50th ;)

I was 51st.....

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

lennymc wrote: »
    I was 51st.....

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

not bad out of 123 racers...

...I was 50th :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

i finished similar position to you lads , very enjoyable course , i ran the forest section last lap , felt so much longer once off the bike !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Advertisement

I was thinking that looks bunny hoppable, until I saw people bunnyhop it......

Advertisement