Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halpenny Golf

• 03-09-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭

I just thought that this needed a thread of its own. Too many bad news stories about online transactions, so here's a good one.

My wife decided to buy me a pair of new golf shoes for my birthday :). I chose a pair of Adidas shoes from Halpenny as I already had a pair of Adidas summer shoes and they were a good fit and ideal for warm weather.

Order placed and she got an email saying they were being sent by courier within a day of placing the order. Four days passed and no sign of the shoes, so she sent an email back to them asking where they were. They replied within the hour saying that they were out of stock and apologising for the mixup. They offered a pair of Nike shoes as a substitute and at that point my wife handed it over to me as I was the intended recipient and would be best placed to make a decision.

I replied to the email saying Nike were too narrow for me and asked if they had any other options and left it at that for the weekend.

Yesterday morning I got a call from Halpenny and we sorted out another pair of Adidas shoes; more expensive, but no extra charge. Happy days. A couple of minutes later they called back and asked me what size glove I wear.

This morning the shoes arrived with a Mizuno glove in my size in the box. :)

I have never encountered a retailer going so far out of their way to fix a problem. I was so impressed, I thought it should be noted. Hence this thread and post. Perhaps others have had similar experiences with other retailers, but I certainly haven't. In fact a year ago, my wife tried to buy a phone from Three, same situation evolved and there was nothing other than "sorry about that, we'll refund your money in a few days, end of".

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice touch

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGuirks wouldn't have done that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

callaway92 wrote: »

Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I have always found them good.

Great to see a post about a positive experience, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Have bought a couple of clubs from them in separate transactions, both orders arrived within 2 days, excellent service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

callaway92 wrote:

I have had a similar experience with McGuirks in Airside, they went well out of their way to sort out an issue with a set of custom fit irons, couldn't have been more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bottle wrote: »
    I have had a similar experience with McGuirks in Airside, they went well out of their way to sort out an issue with a set of custom fit irons, couldn't have been more helpful.

I’ve had issues with McGuirks in the past that lead me to not doing any more business with them (including often getting society prizes from them)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well mcguirks would actually and have done similar. It all depends on who you deal with and at least twice mcguirks went above and beyond for me.
    Once I brought my golf glider back to them as it was not driving straight, it was a few months old, maybe even a year. It had never gone straight but you know you always say to yourself I must sort that out...... and never do! So it had gotten worse and I brought it in to them. Got it back a week or so later which I was happy with and I was happy to pay for repair....... no charge sir...... oh and we are very sorry it took so long to repair, here is 2 sleeves of pro v balls as a gesture.

Another time they slightly messed up a large golf ball order, gave me a free box of balls.

As I say it always boils down to who you deal with.

Halpenny are no different in my opinion, always a pleasure to deal with and you get that extra touch with them.

Actually in general, I think there is something about golf shops that it different to the rest of retail, maybe it is because we are a relatively small community in comparison to the mobile phone giants etc, but the lever of service in the golf retail world is possibly the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well mcguirks would actually and have done similar. It all depends on who you deal with and at least twice mcguirks went above and beyond for me.
    Once I brought my golf glider back to them as it was not driving straight, it was a few months old, maybe even a year. It had never gone straight but you know you always say to yourself I must sort that out...... and never do! So it had gotten worse and I brought it in to them. Got it back a week or so later which I was happy with and I was happy to pay for repair....... no charge sir...... oh and we are very sorry it took so long to repair, here is 2 sleeves of pro v balls as a gesture.

Another time they slightly messed up a large golf ball order, gave me a free box of balls.

As I say it always boils down to who you deal with.

Halpenny are no different in my opinion, always a pleasure to deal with and you get that extra touch with them.

Actually in general, I think there is something about golf shops that it different to the rest of retail, maybe it is because we are a relatively small community in comparison to the mobile phone giants etc, but the lever of service in the golf retail world is possibly the best out there.
    Yeah. To be fair to McGuirks, I had a problem with an online order from them a while ago and brought the product back to one of their shops and was given an exchange with no problems whatsoever.

I just wanted to highlight the Halpenny one because of how well it was handled, well above and beyond what I would have expected. In general, I am in favour of using traditional shops over online ones and will usually buy online from one of those, rather than a purely online or remote (UK for e.g.) site.

Advertisement