Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Printing boarding passes - no colour in printer

• 02-09-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

I was asked to print off Ryanair boarding passes for a friend & wife this morning. My printer ran out of colour ink and I got only the black & white text.

The bar codes printed off fine along with the pax names. Will this suffice or do I need the full colour text?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

It's fine. As long as barcode printed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

B&W all the way, tends to work better with the scanners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Haven’t printed a Boarding Pass in color for many years.
    Also hate wasting ink on silly advertising which consist mostly of photos EI been a big culprit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I replaced my home colour printer with a monochrome laser printer a couple of years ago and haven't printed anything in colour since then (including boarding passes).
    As the poster above says, some of these airline boarding passes are very colour rich when the only bit you need is the black and white bar code.
    I used to replace expensive cartridges several times a year now a €40 toner costs me about €40 and is good for 5000 boarding passes (apparently).
    Apologies for the thread drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Save the paper and ink and just use the app or a pdf on their phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

theteal wrote: »
    Save the paper and ink and just use the app or a pdf on their phone

That's ok for you and me but for Mr fuddy duddy and Mrs fuddy duddy,who have a smart phone and barely know how to text with it,its not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That's ok for you and me but for Mr fuddy duddy and Mrs fuddy duddy,who have a smart phone and barely know how to text with it,its not

I started by giving the parents the app and a paper printout :pac: Got them used to the app while having the paper safety net and now they are fully converted over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I'm all for gadgets but paper doesn't crash, run out of battery or need to be unlocked while grappling with bags

I'm all for gadgets but paper doesn't crash, run out of battery or need to be unlocked while grappling with bags

I have to admit lately I've been doing both, partly because of the cheap cost of printing since I converted and partly because of the really cool feature of the printer whereby I simply have to touch my phone off the printer to print, highly recommended... :)
    Once again apologies for the thread drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Be fine. I only have a B/W printer and use it all the time (call me paranoid, but its Ryanair and I just feel more comfortable having the physcical document in my hand) - never had a problem.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Be fine. I only have a B/W printer and use it all the time (call me paranoid, but its Ryanair and I just feel more comfortable having the physcical document in my hand) - never had a problem.

Ah, the Ryanair effect, customer service through fear...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mortelaro wrote: »

Nope, no excuse in this day and age, if my near 70 yr old mother (who is afraid of the TV remote) can work the Ryanair app anybody can.

As for the excuses about phones crashing/flat battery etc. How often does this actually happen? If your phone is crap and having issues by all means print the boarding pass but ordinarily its just a waste of paper. Black and white is fine, it's just the barcode that's needed and that's supposed to be black ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, the Ryanair effect, customer service through fear...

Easyjet also, to be fair.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Comhra wrote: »
    The bar codes printed off fine along with the pax names. Will this suffice or do I need the full colour text?

On the print settings there is an option to print in black and white using black ink only.. So you'll have shades of grey rather than blanks where the colour is meant to be.

I know people are saying "it'll be fine" and it probably will be. But a boarding pass is a document that's meant to look a certain way and might not be accepted by either ryanair or security staff if it's damaged or defaced.

Easyjet also, to be fair.

Quite possibly, the fear of knowing that the moment you find yourself the wrong side of the small print you will be punished, and you will pay heavily.
    Air travel is stressful enough these days without having to worry about **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

I have to admit lately I've been doing both, partly because of the cheap cost of printing since I converted and partly because of the really cool feature of the printer whereby I simply have to touch my phone off the printer to print, highly recommended... :)
    Once again apologies for the thread drift.
    So what printer do you have? Is it NFC?
    THANKS

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

antix80 wrote: »
    On the print settings there is an option to print in black and white using black ink only.. So you'll have shades of grey rather than blanks where the colour is meant to be.

I know people are saying "it'll be fine" and it probably will be. But a boarding pass is a document that's meant to look a certain way and might not be accepted by either ryanair or security staff if it's damaged or defaced.

Seriously? Boarding passes are not meant to be in colour. Bar codes are black and white, there is no colour. Airlines don't print boarding passes in colour, more often than not they now print in black on paper rather than the previous coloured card (but the printing with your information was always in black).

If you're going to print a boarding pass, do the planet a favour and always choose black and white.

BTW printing a colour document without selecting the setting still won't leave gaps where colour should be unless it's a really really old printer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Caranica wrote: »
    If you're going to print a boarding pass, do the planet a favour and always choose black and white.

If you want to do the planet a favor, learn how to use a smart phone! (not you Caranica)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Caranica wrote: »
    Seriously?

Seriously, did you even read my post?

The bit where I said "there is an option to print in black and white using black ink only"

and the bit where I said "rather than blanks where the colour is meant to be"

And 2 people thanked you for your rubbish post. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

slightly off topic but Boarding passes can be loaded onto two phones at once if you are worried about battery running out , if you are travelling +1 .

You can also load them into the wallet feature on most phones so you dont need internet access at the time of boarding

Save the trees try and use mobile where possible it really does help

• Advertisement

Nope, no excuse in this day and age, if my near 70 yr old mother (who is afraid of the TV remote) can work the Ryanair app anybody can.

As for the excuses about phones crashing/flat battery etc. How often does this actually happen? If your phone is crap and having issues by all means print the boarding pass but ordinarily its just a waste of paper. Black and white is fine, it's just the barcode that's needed and that's supposed to be black ink.

Yeah some old people are good at it
    Many aren't
    Send them to the gas chamber,its not acceptable...
    They can join the queue with all the people so stupid as to leave laptops phones liquids in bags at security and belts and shoes on holding us all up
    Theres no excuse in this day and age...

Doylers wrote: »
    I started by giving the parents the app and a paper printout :pac: Got them used to the app while having the paper safety net and now they are fully converted over lol

Good idea
    Now send them to the shops,mass,or the ICA meeting with belts and shoes on a tray,get them used to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

A while back I saw a rather frazzled looking mother with two small kids hanging out of her. She had to step out of the top of the security queue and was nervously swiping left and right on her phone, searching for the app.

I'd use the apps myself, but on one occasion I ended up scanning my wife's barcode instead of my own by mistake; an easy thing to do when both boarding cards are on the same booking.

There's a lot to be said for having them printed on paper as a backup at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

im good with tech in general but have fallen ages behind using any apps when it comes to flying, always print B&W no issues, but seen people scroll by in seconds swiping their phone screen.

how would that work if you have 3 peoples passes on pdf file ?

scamalert wrote: »
    im good with tech in general but have fallen ages behind using any apps when it comes to flying, always print B&W no issues, but seen people scroll by in seconds swiping their phone screen.

how would that work if you have 3 peoples passes on pdf file ?

You get them to download their boarding pass to the app on their own phone
    Theres no restrictions there
    It's the normal thing to do

Once it has the barcode even a WhatsApp image of the mobile bp works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

You can do the PDF file thing but this generally requires pinching and zooming and scrolling for each pass , both for the gate scan, and when checking at the plane steps with Ryanair and Aer Lingus . It is a right pain if you are in charge of several folks passes.

As mentioned above far better to use an app to check everyone in and then send them on all their boarding passes via whatsapp or airdrop or SMS . Once the pass is in the wallet there is then no need to be internet connected

However if you want to keep all the passes then add them all to the wallet then at boarding just scroll left or right as needed, no pinch or zoom needed it resizes correctly to be scanned by the machine or the attendant at the entrance.

dohouch wrote: »
    So what printer do you have? Is it NFC?
    THANKS

Yes it's NFC and wifi, it's a Samsung, can't remember the exact model but I think it's a Samsung 2026 or something, it only cost me about €60 if I remember correctly...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think we have had our question answer. So I’m locking this before additional posters make themselves look childish with moronic posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement