Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OAP on Trains ..

• 01-09-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,
    So my mother is 68 and has the free card for irish rail travel.
    Can she just arrive at the station and go anywhere in Ireland or does she need to reserve a seat ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

She can go anywhere in ROI (and NI with a free SmartPass) but on busy rail services it can be advisable to book a seat using the procedure you used for your <5 in the other thread.

You will be let on a booked out service as a standing passenger which may not be suitable for someone frail, but most 68 year olds would be quite angry to be called frail!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Thanks!

So she will need to pay for that reserved seat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

L1011 wrote: »
    You will be let on a booked out service as a standing passenger which may not be suitable for someone frail, but most 68 year olds would be quite angry to be called frail!
    They get frail really quickly when it’s time to get a seat on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks!

So she will need to pay for that reserved seat ?

Yes. From €2.50 to €5 depending on how far in advance you book.
    Worth it if you’re traveling at a busy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

I had en exchange with Irish Rail in the last few weeks.

Based on what it says on their website, I said:

"On your website, in relation to the free travel card, you say, "You must be in possession of your free travel pass when travelling on board all Iarnrod Eireann services and you must present your free travel pass at the ticket office to receive a ticket to travel on all services except the DART."

"Yesterday I needed to travel from Bagenalstown to Kilkenny. The train was at 11.23, and I arrived before 11.00. The ticket office was closed, and didn't open. Am I correct in travelling without a ticket and just my card in such circumstances?"

And they replied:

"Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in replying to you.

"Yes if the booking office is closed at the time of travel you can board with your free travel pass."

So if the booking office is open, it's necessary to get a ticket before travelling. Of course, if your mother enjoys a good row with the inspectors, she can just get on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have travelled (not often, oranmore to Dublin, enniscorthy to Dublin) without a ticket no problem because of a closed office.

on the same subject would appreciate a reply to my query.

Going to Belfast shortly. Aware there is a form to complete. Also aware that the office in Dundalk will not be open when I am traveling. I know my pass will scan automatically at the station to gain access to the platform.

But my problem is with the return journey the following day (this is allowed for Belfast from Dundalk, I’ve done it previously)
    I won’t have a ticket for Belfast to Dundalk and I won’t have handed in the form at Dundalk on first day of travel. Does my FTA allow me to travel on the return journey.? I didn’t apply for Smart-pass and they do examine the tickets in Belfast station.

Hi,
    So my mother is 68 and has the free card for irish rail travel.
    Can she just arrive at the station and go anywhere in Ireland or does she need to reserve a seat ?

If the service is busy, book a seat. In advance can be as low as €2.50 but usually €5. Well worth it.

Apologies, see this has already been advised above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

joeysoap wrote: »
    I have travelled (not often, oranmore to Dublin, enniscorthy to Dublin) without a ticket no problem because of a closed office.

Going to Belfast shortly. Aware there is a form to complete. Also aware that the office in Dundalk will not be open when I am traveling. I know my pass will scan automatically at the station to gain access to the platform.

But my problem is with the return journey the following day (this is allowed for Belfast from Dundalk, I’ve done it previously)
    I won’t have a ticket for Belfast to Dundalk and I won’t have handed in the form at Dundalk on first day of travel. Does my FTA allow me to travel on the return journey.? I didn’t apply for Smart-pass and they do examine the tickets in Belfast station.

In the scenario you describe,you will be presenting to the NIR Staff as an individual attempting to make a Journey not covered by the document they possess (A DSP FT Card ?)

Put yourself in their position and examine your options.

Going by the rulebook,you should be requested to pay the appropriate fare.

As you have a degree of forewarning in relation to this,I would suggest you contact NIR directly,even the relevant Station Management to suss out their views.

I am personally aware of people who refuse to apply for an N.I. Smartpass on the grounds of principle,relating to Crown permission to travel free within the island of Ireland.

It's a conundrum alright :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I am personally aware of people who refuse to apply for an N.I. Smartpass on the grounds of principle,relating to Crown permission to travel free within the island of Ireland.

I bet if the same people lived in NI, they wouldn't have a problem taking the old age pension from the 'crown'.

Aren't all UK railways now privatised anyway - a ticket inspector is hardly a member of 'the forces of occupation'!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They should still accept your pass without a ticket. You know you can purchase your ticket in advance from Dubdalk and fill the form if it suited.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    I bet if the same people lived in NI, they wouldn't have a problem taking the old age pension from the 'crown'.

Aren't all UK railways now privatised anyway - a ticket inspector is hardly a member of 'the forces of occupation'!

NIR is state owned

J
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    In the scenario you describe,you will be presenting to the NIR Staff as an individual attempting to make a Journey not covered by the document they possess (A DSP FT Card ?)

Put yourself in their position and examine your options.

Going by the rulebook,you should be requested to pay the appropriate fare.

As you have a degree of forewarning in relation to this,I would suggest you contact NIR directly,even the relevant Station Management to suss out their views.

It's a conundrum alright :(

I didn’t apply for a Smartpass because I would seldom use it. It doesn’t cover spouses, and is fairly restricted in use. Northern Ireland residents have full free unrestricted travel here. At 65 afaik,

coylemj wrote: »

I have no problem with Travelink. Or with anyone else in NI.
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They should still accept your pass without a ticket. You know you can purchase your ticket in advance from Dubdalk and fill the form if it suited.

Thank you Jamie, I will go the station earlier and get tickets for a later train.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I thought to go to NI the same applied to internal tickets except a return ticket was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

L1011 wrote:
    She can go anywhere in ROI (and NI with a free SmartPass) but on busy rail services it can be advisable to book a seat using the procedure you used for your

L1011 wrote:

I'm 60 and up a ladder every day + playing football with my teen+ swimming most days in the ocean + hopefully doing the same at 68

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could end up being surprised how much difference there is between 60 and 68 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm 60 and up a ladder every day + playing football with my teen+ swimming most days in the ocean + hopefully doing the same at 68

Not to mention you are one of Corks finest :P

Isambard wrote: »
    I thought to go to NI the same applied to internal tickets except a return ticket was required.

Same but you need a ticket. That was my query, the ticket office will be closed at time of 1st leg.
    looksee wrote: »
    You could end up being surprised how much difference there is between 60 and 68 :D

Yup, agree with that 100%. Even between 68 and 69. Can happen real quick too.

Not to mention you are one of Corks finest :P

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Same but you need a ticket. That was my query, the ticket office will be closed at time of 1st leg.

Yup, agree with that 100%. Even between 68 and 69. Can happen real quick too.

Fill in the form and go down to the station the day before and get a return ticket.

The ticket allows free travel to Belfast, but no further without a NI ticket.

I’ve since spoken to an IR employee.

His advice: fill in the form, and if there’s nobody in the office, get on the train.
    And on the train get the conductor to issue a ticket for the two journeys.

Problem (possibly no problem) with getting a ticket earlier is my wife can’t attend, and strictly speaking she’s supposed to.

Can they issue a ticket the day before travel? Wouldn’t the date of travel be wrong? And perhaps the date of return?

• Advertisement

Fill in the form and go down to the station the day before and get a return ticket.

Travelers with free travel from NI can travel freely in the south. Busses, trains, dart and Luas. Very one sided arrangement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I’ve since spoken to an IR employee.

His advice: fill in the form, and if there’s nobody in the office, get on the train.
    And on the train get the conductor to issue a ticket for the two journeys.

Problem (possibly no problem) with getting a ticket earlier is my wife can’t attend, and strictly speaking she’s supposed to.

Can they issue a ticket the day before travel? Wouldn’t the date of travel be wrong? And perhaps the date of return?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The ticket can be made out to any NIR station, whichever station is applied for on the crossborder form.

That’s what I thought. (But unless you have a SmartPass you can’t travel travel any further)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its a point to point ticket so a single out and back trip

You cannot break the journey, and any journey wholly within NI is not covered

You can get a 2 day return to NI. No travel beyond the station though. I’m close enough to use same day return but there’s the odd time I might stay over,

Should really apply for a smartpass, but it doesn’t cover Spouses.

Back. Went to the station and got return ticket for 2 for later train, no problem. The ticket was good for a month.

When we actually travelled the office was closed. I’m not sure how this worked for paying passengers.

As it happened on the return the Enterprise was slightly late and the staff in Belfast were more concerned with getting boarded than checking tickets. Everybody just waved their ticket in his general direction and walked on. I saw no precooked seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Fieldsman

Well joeysoap you say NI people can travel freely in the South but so can we up in the North. Go to your SW welfare office and get a pass for the North which your entitled to.
    Also I think our free travel is far better than a lot of other countries.

Fieldsman wrote: »
    Well joeysoap you say NI people can travel freely in the South but so can we up in the North. Go to your SW welfare office and get a pass for the North which your entitled to.
    Also I think our free travel is far better than a lot of other countries.

We can’t travel as extensively as Northern Ireland citizens can down here. (Spouses being a small example)., but yes must apply for a SmartPass.

I agree about other countries. Discount for senior citizens in most European countries and then it’s not great in some countries. Ours is terrific.

• Advertisement
Advertisement