Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'd have some caution with the met.ie extremes page as the max wind gust for August record is incorrect (144 km/h at Claremorris on 11 Aug 1999 it says) which I've told them about before but no change or response, so I wouldn't be surprised about other mistakes.

That was the day we had a near total solar eclipse across Ireland especially in the south. The totality path crossed southern England. It was a mostly cloudy day in the Limerick area. Don’t remember much rain that day. Remembering seeing the almost covered sun through the watery clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sun is out...cool breeze but warm in the sun...you can really notice how much lower the sun is in the sky now...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's nice and sunny here but cooler than recently. It's currently 14.8C. The day's high was 18.3C, the first time in 10 days that the high was below 20 and the first time in 9 days that there was any rain recorded. There was 1.2mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another 0.1mm at Athenry up to now so their total is now 300.0mm for this August as far as I can see.

Meanwhile, a very nice evening in Dublin after a grand day with decent sunny spells if a bit breezy. I'm definitely giving a 7/10 now for this August in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fabulous clarity to the sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Despite 2 heavy but fairly short showers today, most of the day was bright and very sunny, cool wind, but in sheltered parts away from wind it felt rather warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another very pleasant day in dublin. Was a bit chilly at times but lovely sunshine for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Autumn is upon us....

10pm met reports.... Knock Airport 9 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely clear sunny evening in Galway, I see from the radar that heavy showers are still piling in back in Letterkenny. Surprisingly little flooding on the drive down, a lot of standing water in fields and a few small rivers burst their banks but nothing major
    Xenji wrote: »
    It is a record for the station, but nationally for August it recorded less than half the record and I doubt it is even close to the top 10, I think there are over 500 volunteer ran rain stations in the country so it is hard to correlate all the information.

I have all that info in an SQL table, haven't got my laptop at the moment but can have a look when I'm back home tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

What was this Summer like for average sunshine and rainfall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

i thought today was supposed to be a wash out. cracking day in waterford sunshine all day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In South Sligo it has been raining pretty much constantly for 48 hours. I have never seen a wetter August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It looks like, provisionally at least, that Athenry did not make the 300mm for the month of August with 297.3 being the initial figure (unless it changes later on)

Newport next in line at 228.9mm. Stations that did not breech the 100mm mark for the month inc all of the Dublin stations, Oak Park & Johnstown Castle. Nationally, the mean total came in at 146mm, which is around 160% of normal, while the aggregate mean temp came in a 0.4c above average.

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• JJayoo wrote: »
    In South Sligo it has been raining pretty much constantly for 48 hours. I have never seen a wetter August.

The worst August that i can remember. I have been trying to spray my garden for a the full month and there has literally been 1 dry day.

Of course the Met eireann forecasts have been typically atrocious. No rain predicted for several hours, 30 minutes later another deluge. Don't even know why they bother. They might get it right for the east, but a lucky dip would be more accurate at predicting the weather in the west then Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Of course the Met eireann forecasts have been typically atrocious. No rain predicted for several hours, 30 minutes later another deluge. Don't even know why they bother. They might get it right for the east, but a lucky dip would be more accurate at predicting the weather in the west then Met Eireann.

Can I ask, are you looking at their automated hour-hour forecast for you location? If you are, it's shockingly bad at forecasting rainfalls to anything more certain than a vague idea. It relies entirely on its model of forecasting where the showers will be, and is not the reality.

The text based forecast is better.

• JCX BXC wrote: »
    Can I ask, are you looking at their automated hour-hour forecast for you location? If you are, it's shockingly bad at forecasting rainfalls to anything more certain than a vague idea. It relies entirely on its model of forecasting where the showers will be, and is not the reality.

I had, they had no rain in Mayo until 2PM today on that forecaster. But it lashed for the last 30 minutes. Its that bad everyday. They are as well to take that site down, because all its doing is misleading people. €60 of spray wasted this month so far.

The live radar forecast is also useless as the showers are here before they show up on that chart.

Is there any other job where you can be so wrong so often and still keep your job as a forecaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It looks like, provisionally at least, that Athenry did not make the 300mm for the month of August with 297.3 being the initial figure (unless it changes later on)

Newport next in line at 228.9mm. Stations that did not breech the 100mm mark for the month inc all of the Dublin stations, Oak Park & Johnstown Castle. Nationally, the mean total came in at 146mm, which is around 160% of normal, while the aggregate mean temp came in a 0.4c above average.

Data from Met Eireann.
    Just 74.4mm at my location near Arklow for the entire month of August
    Ground is like solid cement

(A repeat of last of to Dec's extremely wet period would have to happen to bring the area up to its annual average rainfall-As it stands we are only 150mm or so ahead of last year which included nearly 3 months of practically no rain fall)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lovely bright sunny morning here in Dublin .

Data from Met Eireann.

At odds with their hourly totals for yesterday which give 13.9mm at Athenry but I guess they’re not reliable either seeing this.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    At odds with their hourly totals for yesterday which give 13.9mm at Athenry but I guess they’re not reliable either seeing this.

Possibly because the 'hourly' reports available on the 'current' and 'yesterday's' page include data for between 11pm and midnight of the previous day. I think it would be more fitting if they started each day at the 00.00 reports, which would be more inline with the daily data which start and end at midnight.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Artane2002 has opened a brand new shiny thread for Autumn 2019 here

htDkBQ6.gif

Another lovely day in dublin. Still barely a drop of rain here in north dublin since last Thursday 22nd august. August ended up quite a pleasant month in the east

Definitely going for a 6.5 out of 10 for summer 2019. Poor June, very nice July and quite a nice August.

Provisional IMT in the end only 14.9c for Ireland during summer 2019... slightly above avg but cooler than summer 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2018. Almost on par with 2014. Things to remember though are that June was cooler than average and there will be regional variation.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Mod Note: Artane2002 has opened a brand new shiny thread for Autumn 2019 here

htDkBQ6.gif

Here's a link to it to make sure everyone's on the same page

[url] https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058011608/1/[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

JCX BXC wrote: »

Or the radar animation

Definitely going for a 6.5 out of 10 for summer 2019. Poor June, very nice July and quite a nice August.

Will give it 2 out of 10 here, and that 2 is only for because we had some nice downpours.

New Moon

Will give it 2 out of 10 here, and that 2 is only for because we had some nice downpours.

Where are you? West coast I am assuming

Where are you? West coast I am assuming

The west, but not the coast.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭appledrop

So long summer 2019. I give it a 6/10 for Dublin. I've upgraded my previous ratings for August as last 10 days were better than expected + virtually no rain in Dublin.

Advertisement