Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat (2021)

• 16-08-2019 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭

Well it's a long ways off yet but the cast rumours are starting to take shape.

While Joe Taslim has been confirmed to be playing Sub Zero, Ludi Lin is now rumoured to be in talks to play Liu Kang reports Variety.

Just need Lewis Tan for Johnny Cage now and we'll be sorted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well it's a long ways off yet but the cast rumours are starting to take shape.

While Joe Taslim has been confirmed to be playing Sub Zero, Ludi Lin is now rumoured to be in talks to play Liu Kang reports Variety.

Just need Lewis Tan for Johnny Cage now and we'll be sorted.

Why the **** would you want Lewis Tan for Cage? :confused:

Also not liking the look of a director who has zero imdb history :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

nix wrote: »

Lewis Tan feels like Johnny Cage to me and I'm not particularly pushed if the character is white or not. Tan has the flash charisma for it.

I'm not particularly pushed if the character is white or not.

heh, everybody else would think the complete opposite, and considering the amount of Asians that will be cast in other roles, i very much doubt they will get another asian to replace the only American white male from the line up :P

https://www.superherohype.com/news/462663-mortal-kombat-movie-finds-its-jax-mileena-and-raiden

3 more confirmed...was hoping for a bit more oomph to the Jax casting.

haha Mehcad Brooks for Jax, I'm out!

Whyt didnt they just go with the cast from the shorts? they were spot on mostly..

This is looking like mega budget poop already :rolleyes::(

• Advertisement

Yeah...based on this it looks like Taslim and Lin were the names they wanted to lead with in order to gain "cred" with the fans, because it's looking downhill from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

The screenwriter is also writing a Resident Evil reboot and a FEAR movie? I seriously hope he's good, couldn't handle another hack-job on Resident Evil (first two were pretty OK, fell off a cliff after that), and FEAR has amazing potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,751 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

haha Mehcad Brooks for Jax, I'm out!

Whyt didnt they just go with the cast from the shorts? they were spot on mostly..

This is looking like mega budget poop already :rolleyes::(

Was Terry Crews linked with the Jax role?

Is the characters Sonya, Johnny and Cassie in this reboot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://www.superherohype.com/news/462663-mortal-kombat-movie-finds-its-jax-mileena-and-raiden

3 more confirmed...was hoping for a bit more oomph to the Jax casting.

This is the "movie career" Mechad Brooks left Supergirl to pursue? Yeesh, so I guess we'll see him back in season 6 then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Here's all the ones cast so far:

Ludi Lin - Liu Kang
    Tadanobu Asano - Raiden
    Mehcad Brooks - Jax
    Sisi Stringer - Mileena
    Joe Taslim - Sub-Zero
    Jessica McNamee - Sonya Blade
    Hiroyuki Sanada - Scorpion
    Josh Lawson - Kano
    Chin Han - Shang Tsung

I've no doubt the story will be good, Ed Boon and Greg Russo writing, so it will be down to the actors imo. Also guaranteed R-Rated and will include fatalities. I'm going to give this a good chance. I'm not going to jump on the hype train though, don't want to ruin it before it even starts filming. I still think they should have given Tancharoen a chance, his Mortal Kombat Legacy series was fantastic imo, and I loved his realistic take on the series with Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. I'm a big MK fan, and I loved the first film back in the day, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually thought they mis-announced the casting and it was Hiroyuki Sanada playing Shang Tsung and Chin Han playing Scorpion. Hiroyuki Sanada would be a perfect Shang Tsung.

Still though, my expectations for this are kinda low, but I still hope it might be really good. Love the MK games and even the storylines in them, which considering they're beat 'em ups is saying something. Hiroyuki Sanada is great in everything I've seen him in though, so I've no issues with whatever character he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I lasted this long without needing to listen

Hiroyuki Sanada gets a hell yeah! from me, but not happy hes playing scorpion, its likely just an easy pay cheque movie for him, mostly wearing a mask, stunt man doing the heavy work. Easy money for him.. I agree he'd have made a better Shang Tsung, Chin Han is a bad fit..

So despite an improvement cast wise, it still seems off, but Ed boon attached to writing, we may get something that will do the game justice in that aspect at the very least..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362280/Mortal_Kombat_Legacy_II/

The shorts for anyone who hasnt seen them.

10 of them or thereabouts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2019/08/28/lewis-tan-teases-mortal-kombat-reboot-role/

Well....the net grows smaller. He'll probably be a character from the newer games but Johnny Cage all of a sudden looks possible.

Don't think it'll be Johnny Cage, he's American so I don't think the look would suit him. Possibly one of the newer characters, but could be one of the originals. Raiden hasn't been cast yet...

Don't think it'll be Johnny Cage, he's American so I don't think the look would suit him. Possibly one of the newer characters, but could be one of the originals. Raiden hasn't been cast yet...

Tadanobu Asano is apparently playing Raiden according to imdb, so it could well actually end up being Cage the boots for him to fill. There isnt any main characters left really, unless they wanna really mix it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Here's all the ones cast so far:

Ludi Lin - Liu Kang
    Tadanobu Asano - Raiden
    Mehcad Brooks - Jax
    Sisi Stringer - Mileena
    Joe Taslim - Sub-Zero
    Jessica McNamee - Sonya Blade
    Hiroyuki Sanada - Scorpion
    Josh Lawson - Kano
    Chin Han - Shang Tsung

I've no doubt the story will be good, Ed Boon and Greg Russo writing, so it will be down to the actors imo. Also guaranteed R-Rated and will include fatalities. I'm going to give this a good chance. I'm not going to jump on the hype train though, don't want to ruin it before it even starts filming. I still think they should have given Tancharoen a chance, his Mortal Kombat Legacy series was fantastic imo, and I loved his realistic take on the series with Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. I'm a big MK fan, and I loved the first film back in the day, so I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't heard of a sinle name in this post and those writers have no stand out, previous credentials.

This is destined to be another for the video game film scrap heap.

El Duda wrote: »
    I haven't heard of a sinle name in this post and those writers have no stand out, previous credentials.

This is destined to be another for the video game film scrap heap.

With Ed Boon on board, I'm giving it a chance. Without him I would agree.

I know Taslim, Brooks and Lin. Taslim has done well in one or two action films I've seen him in where he was the lead more or less. Lin I've only seen as an supporting actor but again, he's another that impressed and looks capable of carrying a lead.

Brooks was just there on Supergirl. Nothing against him but he's not Jax to me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

El Duda wrote: »

I don't know many of the actors, but Ed Boon is the creator of the MK franchise, as well as one of the lead writers on the last few MK and Injustice games, all of which have great stories (not perfect though, especially as they have to fit into the framework of a fighting game with chapters etc, but still really good).

I don't think it's going to be a great movie by any stretch, but as an MK fan, I think it'll be decent enough.

Updated cast list. New entries are Max Huang as Kung Lao and Elissa Cadwell as Nitara (really? She never stood out for me in the games). Rumours could be that Tan is playing a new character and protagonist, and Matilda Kimber (who is 12) will be his daughter. Unsubstantiated though, just guesswork.

Hiroyuki Sanada - Hanzo Hasashi / Scorpion
    Tadanobu Asano - Raiden
    Mehcad Brooks - Major Jackson 'Jax' Briggs
    Ludi Lin - Liu Kang
    Lewis Tan -
    Josh Lawson - Kano
    Chin Han - Shang Tsung
    Joe Taslim - Bi-Han / Sub-Zero
    Sisi Stringer - Mileena
    Max Huang - Kung Lao
    Elissa Cadwell - Nitara
    Matilda Kimber -

Release date also brought forward to January 2021, but that was announced last December so might be pushed again due to Covid, and the last update was January this year. However, according to IGN, filming wrapped up 13/12/19 so is in post-production. Might even get a trailer soon *fingers crossed* (some actors Twitter reactions to finishing filming in article)

Still trying to figure out why Nitara is in there... She was only playable in DA, TE and Armageddon, with a cameo in Deception, Unchained and 11 (no one talk about 11, I've only just started the story).

This article on inverse has confirmed that the casting is woke ethnically correct in May, and people are happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought Kitana was meant to be in it. From my understanding of the characters listed (Last I really played was 4) none of the women are fighting for Earth realm, which is strange for a film that is, as you pointed out, woke.

If Tan is a new character, I'm slowly coming around to the idea. Assuming the character is written well and placed correctly, it could move things along nicely.

I wonder how this film is getting on....very little to no news recently.

I've no doubt it'll be delayed, there would surely be a trailer at this point if it was to meet the Jan 15th release date. So it'll be pushed I reckon, and in the meantime they can finally release Generations! Please...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Anything will be better than Annihilation. Even thinking about that botched cheese fest makes me shiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Some new images from the film. Trailer out later today

https://ew.com/movies/mortal-kombat-first-look-lewis-tan-joe-taslim-hiroyuki-sanada/

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2021%2F01%2F13%2FMortal-Kombat_4-2000.jpg

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2021%2F01%2F13%2FMortal-Kombat_5-2000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Looks like something The Asylum would come out with

• Advertisement

Jax's arms look better than DC's AAA Cyborg and Kano has a gritty realism about him. I'm liking the looks of it. Bring on the trailer!!

Edit: I didn't read the while article as it seems spoilery for the opening sequence. Where does it mention a trailer dropping?

Edit edit: The tease was for the pics, not a trailer apparently.

Advertisement