Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallaght to Lucan commute

• 29-08-2019 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

Anybody do this commute regularly by car? How bad is it in terms of traffic and time involved? I live in Aylesbury tallaght and weighing up job in lucan village 9 to 5.30. No bloody bus doing the route which is a shame :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bicycle? It's around 14k, less than an hour, free fitness though some of the route looks rather car-centric to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The new road from the bypass to Lucan is great . Aylsbury through Killinarden to the bypass , left onto the bypass then into right lane . Turn right and its a straight run ( apart from about 5 roundabouts ) into Lucan

I drive it regularly but not a peek times and it takes me about 25 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The new road from the bypass to Lucan is great . Aylsbury through Killinarden to the bypass , left onto the bypass then into right lane . Turn right and its a straight run ( apart from about 5 roundabouts ) into Lucan

I drive it regularly but not a peek times and it takes me about 25 mins
    I'd say that be a nightmare at peak times with schools. Anybody use m50 route?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

M50 would be far worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Tallagh to Lucan off peak is handy. 9am and around half 5 in the eve is a complete disaster especially if going near the village. Schools back now so worse still.

If you could do say 7 to 3, would be perfect for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's easily cycled. Approx 14 km and 45 mins. It's the same time and distance I do my cycle commute.

The outer ring road is very busy after 8am for cars but for cycling is fantastic with dedicated off road lanes

The only school you pass is Killinarden . After that its not a school route
    The M 50 is much worse

Problem with cycling is one would need shower facilities at work :( looking like driving and cycling not great options for me. I ll be walking at this rate

Problem with cycling is one would need shower facilities at work :( looking like driving and cycling not great options for me. I ll be walking at this rate

Your times are peak times regardless of route .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Get an E-Bike. I was commuting from Drumcondra to Leopardstown which is 14KM, but 100m climb, most at the end. Needed a shower using the road bike, when I got the E-Bike I barely broke a sweat and was cycling in with jeans and a shirt, sometimes with a t-shirt that I changed over to a shirt in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Busconnects will have this orbital route :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Peak from Lucan to Tallaght on the M50 is a bit variable but isn't atrocious tbh.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Your times are peak times regardless of route .
    I have gone to employer to see if they will negotiate on start and finish times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I wouldn't use the M50, I'd try that road that goes up through Grangecastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

Busconnects will have this orbital route :P

The W4 will solve so many issues in this part of the world ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OP sorry for your commuting troubles. I would take a day off work in present job and try the m50 at rush hour. All other routes are just as problematic I'd say, and you won't have a toll to pay if you exit at N4.

I'm sure you know about the all around the houses bus no. 76 Tallaght to Blanchardstown. It stops at Palmerstown and you can get another bus to Lucan from there.

Mad to think a car is probably an absolute requirement on this route. But in 2027 Bus Connects will be in place remember!

Cycling is not an option for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

OP sorry for your commuting troubles. I would take a day off work in present job and try the m50 at rush hour. All other routes are just as problematic I'd say, and you won't have a toll to pay if you exit at N4.

I'm sure you know about the all around the houses bus no. 76 Tallaght to Blanchardstown. It stops at Palmerstown and you can get another bus to Lucan from there.

Mad to think a car is probably an absolute requirement on this route. But in 2027 Bus Connects will be in place remember!

2021 for the routes! Not that far away, but still far 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yea I used to do the reverse, lived in Lucan village and worked near the square. The worst part was getting through Lucan village but the m50 was fine and the n4 was fine.
    Peak from Lucan to Tallaght on the M50 is a bit variable but isn't atrocious tbh.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I would say cycling is not considered as an option by many. Once you try it you wonder how people endure a commute by car.

Advertisement