Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

devein prawns for dinner party or not?

• 27-08-2019 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭IIGeminiII

Hi guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are planning to have a dinner part at our apartment in about a weeks time. Neither of us would be the best at cooking, but we are going to do a tray of prawns served with wedges of lemon. I'm wondering if you need to devein the prawns if you are serving them in their shells? is that a bit of a social faux pas to leave the vein in? Or is it normal if you are leaving them in their shells. Sorry, just a bit anxious about first impressions as we haven't many friends until now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

IIGeminiII wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are planning to have a dinner part at our apartment in about a weeks time. Neither of us would be the best at cooking, but we are going to do a tray of prawns served with wedges of lemon. I'm wondering if you need to devein the prawns if you are serving them in their shells? is that a bit of a social faux pas to leave the vein in? Or is it normal if you are leaving them in their shells. Sorry, just a bit anxious about first impressions as we haven't many friends until now.

I lived in Portugal for a while years ago and ate prawns at restaurants on many occasions. They were never deveined.
    A bowl of water with lemon wedges is handy to have on the table for guests to clean their fingertips in, or a few bowls depending on how many guests you have.

Devein - but your fishmonger will do that for you. Your guests will thank you for it- most prawn eaters prefer not to eat prawn poo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭IIGeminiII

A few other things, I don't have enough wine glasses and will have to match with champagne glasses but I'm going to be serving white wine? you think that's ok?

You think it's okay to buy something like muller rices for desert?

I'm also going to do mussels (the orange ones). I did them once but are they supposed to shrink so tiny?

Thanks very much

edit: anyone have experience cooking squid? i don't want to make too chewy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A few other things, I don't have enough wine glasses and will have to match with champagne glasses but I'm going to be serving white wine? you think that's ok?

I'm also going to do mussels (the orange ones). I did them once but are they supposed to shrink so tiny?

Thanks very much

Id leave out the Mueller rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Id leave out the Mueller rice.

I'd also leave out the mussels and the squid if the OP is as inexperienced with cooking them as he sounds.

Out of curiosity, OP, why serve such a seafood-centric menu if you're not comfortable with it?

Also, go to IKEA or T.K. Maxx and buy a six pack of cheap wine glasses.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much

No to wine glass query.
    No to muller rice.
    No to mussels- probably cooked them too long
    Flash fry squid- if you don’t know how don’t do it on this occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Whatever you do, make sure you have white wine glasses for the guests.

I'd drink it out of a ditch but plenty of fussy ****ers out there when it comes to appropriate drinking utensils.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If your trying to impress with fish yet your not really sure how to prepare and cook it then just avoid it!

I'd be much more impressed by a somewhat basic home cooked meal done well!

If you want to use fish keep it as a simple starter some nice smoked salmon brown bread and wedges of lemon.

Is there a theme you need to stick with for certain kinds of food or can you cook whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Prawns, mussels and squid are all incredibly easy to overcook, but really with solid timing, not the most difficult cooking in the world. I probably wouldn't try and do them all for the first time in one meal though.

I'd never serve prawns without removing the intestinal tract. I'd usually ask my fishmonger to do it, but if they didn't, take your time, don't mangle it and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I remember the first time inviting friends for dinner, it’s a daunting task but the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Firstly, check with your guests that they eat shellfish/seafood before doing anything.

Aldi sell raw peeled prawns that are devined. Really good value.

Two seafood courses may be a bit much. Try and think of something else for starter/main.

How many people will be eating on the evening?

Muller desert are a total no no. Jelly and ice cream? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ok, how many people are coming over for the dinner party?

The trick to any good dinner party is not to be chained to the kitchen, so serve things that can be done in advance. Your guests want your company more than your food.

Defo a no on the muller rice. For the love of god either buy a dessert, or pop some icecream in the freezer and top with a sauce and nuts, sprinkles etc... icecream sundae.

I don't know what you mean by mussels orange and going small... are you not cooking them in the shells? Skip if you're not experienced with it. Need to know how to pick out the dead ones before cooking, and the dead ones after cooking. Don't kill people with bad shellfish.

Easy menu:

Charcuterie board with drinks. Can be done a bit in advance, is basically arranging things on a plate.
    https://www.spendwithpennies.com/how-to-make-a-charcuterie-board/

This is usually LOADS for dinner and drinks with friends.
    If you want to do something hot as well, try a slow cook recipe that you are familiar with and can do way in advance. A slow cook curry with naans or a slow cook stew with garlic bread and salad.

Dessert
    Sundaes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ Ellen Little Gynecology

If you aren’t a confident/ experienced cook do not cook shell fish for new friends, they won’t be too fond of you if you give them food poisoning.

Muller rice might be ok if you are a teenager , but for adults it would be embarrassing to be served a muller rice for desert. Buy a cake or make a cheese platter.

Thanks guys. There is 4/5 coming, plus my girlfriend and I which is six or seven. I wanted to cook a seafood menu as I'm living in Spain and I already told them that is what I could do. I may have exaggerated my abilities. If I do a plate of prawns with a curry and rice would that be good. with sun dai afterwards? With a smoked salmon starter?

Should I have paper napkins? Should I play music?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Thanks guys. There is 4/5 coming, plus my girlfriend and I which is six or seven. I wanted to cook a seafood menu as I'm living in Spain and I already told them that is what I could do. I may have exaggerated my abilities. If I do a plate of prawns with a curry and rice would that be good. with sun dai afterwards? With a smoked salmon starter?

Should I have paper napkins? Should I play music?

Thanks

Napkins yes, music optional but yes for me.

What are you comfortable cooking OP?

The whole thing just seems a bit all over the place atm are you confident in what your planning on making?

Like I said sometimes when someone is trying to impress with food they end up doing the total opposite.

What ingredients are you one hundred percent set on using?

lemon drizzle cake? i don't want to spend a fortune either but i would like to have anyone leave comfortable and happy, as i'll be going to there house too and don't want my own dinner to be a disaster. there isn't great fruit and veg in the town where i live.

i'd like to do seafood as that is very popular here and thats what everyone eats. i was thinking a big tray of prawns in there shell with lemon wedges, maybe a soup or smoked salmon to start which i could make day before, bread, ailoi, a shop bought cheesecake for desert?

i'd like to do seafood as that is very popular here and thats what everyone eats. i was thinking a big tray of prawns in there shell with lemon wedges, maybe a soup or smoked salmon to start which i could make day before, bread, ailoi, a shop bought cheesecake for desert?

If the local fish is good then perfect you just don't want too much of it at the same time ya know.

Maybe pick a course and have the fish around that. How would you plan on cooking the prawns if you really wanna go with them? Would you rather use them as starter or main?

The cake sounds perfect keep it light and cool.

Fry the prawns in there shell in some butter and serve them on a large plate with bread and humus? i have made humus before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP if you're not fully confident in your cooking skills Id maybe go with a cold smoked salmon & salad starter and then spanish fish stew with chorizo for main like this one https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9647/onepan-spanish-fish-stew

The stew is one pot so for 6/7 people it would need to be large. Be aware of your timings as fish cooks very quickly in hot liquid and you dont want it turning to mush. Both dishes can be prepared in advance so most of your work is done before guests arrive. Do not serve Muller rice! Any store bought cake is better than that!

• Advertisement

Fry the prawns in there shell in some butter and serve them on a large plate with bread and humus? i have made humus before

I'd personally leave out the humus by my own taste especially going with prawns. That's me personally though.

The last time I made prawns I fryed them gently in roasted garlic and chilli butter and served them with crusty fresh bread. The main thing I always find with prawns is they cook incredibly quick so you can literally cook them last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

If it's in Spain nobody will expect the prawns to be deveined - I've had dinner in many Spanish houses and they never are (although I prefer them to be :o). I assume you mean big langostinos rather than prawns though right?

A very easy seafood snack for a dinner party is tostadas with cream cheese and anchovies - make sure to get decent cantabrian anchovies though.

For the main I'd be dubious of serving fish stew with chorizo. It sounds nice but I've never seen chorizo in fish stew in spain. I could be wrong though...

Why don't you make them something with seafood that they wouldn't normally have. A nice fish pie for example. It's pretty foolproof and always got a good reaction when I made it in spain. You can use any mix of fish really
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie

Don't serve muller rice if trying to impress :p A cheescake from shop would be fine. Or if you really want to impress try something like this. Again its foolproof to make.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lime-semifreddo-cheesecake

petros1980 wrote: »
    If it's in Spain nobody will expect the prawns to be deveined - I've had dinner in many Spanish houses and they never are (although I prefer them to be :o). I assume you mean big langostinos rather than prawns though right?

A very easy seafood snack for a dinner party is tostadas with cream cheese and anchovies - make sure to get decent cantabrian anchovies though.

For the main I'd be dubious of serving fish stew with chorizo. It sounds nice but I've never seen chorizo in fish stew in spain. I could be wrong though...

Why don't you make them something with seafood that they wouldn't normally have. A nice fish pie for example. It's pretty foolproof and always got a good reaction when I made it in spain. You can use any mix of fish really
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie

Don't serve muller rice if trying to impress :p A cheescake from shop would be fine. Or if you really want to impress try something like this. Again its foolproof to make.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lime-semifreddo-cheesecake

I was thinking fish pie myself actually just wasn't sure if they wanted to go that route!

Haven't had fish pie in good while but its a simple incredibly flavoursome dish that can be made easily for a number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I made this last night and it was very easy and very Spanish. For 6 people i’d up the rice to 450g and 1.5litres of stock. If you can’t get saffron, just add a teaspoon of Tumeric instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bakedspanishrisotto_70241

Thanks for all the suggestions i think i'll make the fish pie as I have one of those casserole dishes, white wine, a plate of prawns in there shells, with wedges of lemon, madeira cake from the shop with tea or coffee i wont do a starter, maybe cheese and grapes. can anyone recommend relaxing music?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08oHlTwFpUQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQG7KVUDaJM&t=1007s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3NAjwPKkM

For the fish pie you likely won't get smoked fish in spain. So just use salmon plus a white fish (cod/haddock).

Make sure you have some crusty bread - no Spanish meal is ever without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

OP did you get that plumbing problem sorted out ?
    I'd also warn the guests of potential frozen shytes in the freezer!!

landlord says it will be fixed next week and its not just my apartment. i don't want to talk about it anymore. can a mod delete my old posts about this issue pls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hi guys,

I always de vein prawns before cooking them. I thinks it's disgusting to leave it in. Then again, I don't cook them in their shells, mainly for that reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement