Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The New Mutants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We have the MCU thread we have the DCU thread maybe Fox deserve a FCU thread for the X-men Universe.

They already have 7 films out there with 3 more in production along with this now.

Edit; FF are also in this Universe so that is 3 more films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it elsewhere, but whatever about the wobbly continuity, Fox's use of the mutants franchise has tended to be creative and varied, lately producing positive results that included everything from Logan to Legion, the latter in particular being a real high watermark for any superhero production.

This feels like another tonal deviation once more, and when you think about it there have been few superhero horror flicks of note (though hopefully the actual film won't contain as many loud noise / jump scare combos), so it could be one to watch out for.

Honestly, I think Marvel Studios could learn something from Fox's attempts to keep a marvel property fresh.

This is being bumped back to 2019.

It was due to be released on April 13th this year and will now be released in February next year.

A near year long bump isn't a good sign.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would have thought production is all but finished at this stage, real shame if the're going to ditch the horror vibe for a more standard superhero flick or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, that's some delay; the initial trailer looked good & I got the impression garnered a lot of goodwill & reaction. Is there any talk of a reshoots perhaps?

Gambit was due to be releases in February 2019 but has lost another director so maybe it's is being bumped to cover that slot.

Still bumping a major franchise film due for release in 12 weeks by close to a year doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gambit was due to be releases in February 2019 but has lost another director so maybe it's is being bumped to cover that slot.

Still bumping a major franchise film due for release in 12 weeks by close to a year doesn't seem right.

Read something about not wanting it to conflict with Deadpool and other superhero movies in overseas markets, but it still wouldn't account for such a large delay in it. Later in the summer, sure.... but almost a year?

Bumping this thread as this eternally delayed film looks to be further in limbo: having already been delayed due to Deadpool 2, Dark Phoenix and the Fox/Disney takeover, there were meant to be reshoots prior to an August release. However in an interview, star Maisie Williams admitted that she had no idea what the status of the film was, and hadn't been contacted about any reshoots. Supposedly her co-stars have shared similar summaries.

I read that it might just be dumped on Hulu at some stage as it’s highly unlikely that it will get a cinema release now.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, that's fairly ignominious; I guess if Williams is to be believed, the reshoots have been canned & they're just going to go with what they made already. Which is fine as I liked what I saw in the trailer I guess, jump scares notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I thought this could be another Logan and Deadpool based on the trailer. A film the executives normally wouldn't allow but because of the success of the aforementioned films gave it the go ahead. Hopefully the presumably canceled reshoots were an attempt to change the tone of the film rather than it being a complete unreleasable disaster.

Looks like it might get a cinema release after all.

‘The New Mutants’ Promoted At CinemaCon, Indicating Theatrical Release
    After rumors swirled earlier this year that Josh Boone’s feature adaptation of X-Men spinoff The New Mutants was headed to Hulu, Disney indicated in its CinemaCon presentation that the delayed Fox/Marvel movie was indeed part of its 2019 release schedule. The pic has a release date of Aug. 2.

Also a Dolby Vision release slate shown at CinemaCon indicated that New Mutants was imminent.

Fox dropped a trailer for the film at CinemaCon 2017. The pic was slated for an April 13 2018 release, got moved to Feb. 22 of this year, and then pushed again to late summer as the pic underwent many reshoots.

When Deadline asked around about The New Mutants Hulu rumors earlier this year, we were told by insiders that the decision would be made post Fox acquisition.

In regards to the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Lauren Shuler Donner told Deadline at TCA in February that she was “hopeful” that the teen-horror pic would see its Aug. 2 release date. “They worked hard on it,” said Shuler Donner about the film’s production team, “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu.”

https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-new-mutants-cinemacon-disney-theatrical-release-hulu-1202588098/

Looks like it has been pushed back again till April 2020.

It will either turn up on Hulu/Disney + or never see the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Shur that only puts it up against:
    • The next James Bond film
    • The Sequel to A Quiet Place'
    • Godzilla vs. Kong
    • Disney's Mulan
    • An Unnamed DC Comics Film

How could it go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha jesus, what are they doing with this thing?! the movie will probably be 30mins long by the time they are finished with it :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would be fascinating to see the cast do the media circuit ahead of this release.

Must be very frustrating for the cast & production; all that hard work potentially going down the drain. And it really did feel like something different from the other raft of Fox X-Men films. I was worried it'd be 90% jump scares like most Mainstream horror cinema, but that they were even trying to make a horror flavoured Marvel film in the first place was commendable.

If nothing else, I hope those involved in the production got paid at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm guessing the failure of Dark Phoenix will not help this get a release

So apparently this may not be as dead as feared: the rumour mill is saying that New Mutants is currently being test screened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

New Mutants gets a new trailer in January according to Boone

Bill Sienkiewicz has seen it and said it is still Horror based but more in line with MCU re. style than Fox style.

I'd be very happy if it keeps horror angle.

Wonder what is meant by "MCU style", cos it's nothing I'd immediately imagine as being compatible with horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder what is meant by "MCU style", cos it's nothing I'd immediately imagine as being compatible with horror.

Dr. Strange 2 is billed as MCU first horror so they are branching into horror this phase.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Dr. Strange 2 is billed as MCU first horror so they are branching into horror this phase.

I'll believe it when I see it TBH, Marvel talk a good game, but can't see them doing anything that'll break that gold PG13 rating.

Marvel wanting to step in to fill what WB has tried to fill (a horror-gap) under the guidance of James Wan?

Not aware of the details, but my first worry would be that reshoots turn this into a bit of a mess. But I suppose if it's still getting a cinematic release there's some faith the final piece is worth disseminating across cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it TBH, Marvel talk a good game, but can't see them doing anything that'll break that gold PG13 rating.

Joker, Deadpool, Logan. "There's gold in them there R rated mountains".

Surely the Marvel head honchos are smart enough to see another market for their product that can pull in the cash. No reason they can't do both. It'd be a bold move for them but could be a big money maker.

I think their plans are to bring deadpool back lower than R so I'd assume the same for when they introduce X-Men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

A bit surprised Disney don't use this as a way to promote Disney plus using this as the first X-Men film under the Disney brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

A bit surprised Disney don't use this as a way to promote Disney plus using this as the first X-Men film under the Disney brand.

Tis impressive in one way. The determination to release it to cinemas rather than dumping it on a streaming service.

Advertisement