Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over the top problem

Options
  • 25-08-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi been trying to fix my over the top swing for months and I’ve been told to just feel like I’m hitting out to the right but it’s no good as a drill as I’m still doing it.

Killing my game off the tee as it’s high and right every time no matter what way I swing at it or aim. Has anyone been through this and come out the other side ha ha. Any drills or programmes would be great to hear cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

kod12 wrote: »
    Hi been trying to fix my over the top swing for months and I’ve been told to just feel like I’m hitting out to the right but it’s no good as a drill as I’m still doing it.

Killing my game off the tee as it’s high and right every time no matter what way I swing at it or aim. Has anyone been through this and come out the other side ha ha. Any drills or programmes would be great to hear cheers

I find taking a flatter backswing helps, so basically not having to worry about shallowing in the downswing. It feels weird at first but has worked for me, there is a fine line though and I do sometimes hit them straight left.

Also the mandatory advice of get some lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

There’s lots of reasons why your ball flight may look like you are coming over the top and different fixes for each.

I’ve suffered from it twice and the first time my pro told me I was aiming left off the target and focusing on my alignment and keeping my arms close to my body got me back on track.

Second time it was down to alignment again and not releasing the club.

I wouldn’t have fixed either without the pro’s help to diagnose it and give me drills to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You mustn't be actually doing the drill that you think you are doing, otherwise you would see change.

Line up 3 balls with either the name or a line you draw on yourself pointing 45* right of your target.

Align yourself as normal but think about hitting the ball in the direction the line is pointing.

hit the first one, then move into the next and hit it, and again, all in quick succession.

You should be either hitting a big draw or a block right, depending on your clubface, but your OTT move will be gone.

/edit
    How do you know you are coming over the top btw? did a pro tell you? Have you videoed your swing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elgstring

When you say high and right, is it a slice or a push?

When I was struggling with an ott swing it was a massive slice. In my lesson to fix this the pro wanted me to feel like, when at the top, on the downswing I am trying to hit my big toe on my nearest foot, this helped me to get the club on the inside as opposed to out to in which may be your issue. If doing this, it's a range drill to begin with as it is the extreme of what will be expected once you're on the course, weirdly enough it tends to balance itself out when you hit the course once you've bedded that feeling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Without seeing the swing it's hard to diagnose a proper solution but a possibility would be a physical attribute could be causing this. If you can't disassociate your lower body from your upper body it will lead to the over the top move.

If your body can't do it, all the swing drills in the world won't change this.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, go to see someone who can diagnose and solve the root cause of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

GreeBo wrote: »
    You mustn't be actually doing the drill that you think you are doing, otherwise you would see change.

Line up 3 balls with either the name or a line you draw on yourself pointing 45* right of your target.

Align yourself as normal but think about hitting the ball in the direction the line is pointing.

hit the first one, then move into the next and hit it, and again, all in quick succession.

You should be either hitting a big draw or a block right, depending on your clubface, but your OTT move will be gone.

/edit
    How do you know you are coming over the top btw? did a pro tell you? Have you videoed your swing?

Cheers for that

Was both I videod my swing first and seen it then took it to the pro then who said the same after seeing big minus path numbers on trackman

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

elgstring wrote: »
    When you say high and right, is it a slice or a push?

When I was struggling with an ott swing it was a massive slice. In my lesson to fix this the pro wanted me to feel like, when at the top, on the downswing I am trying to hit my big toe on my nearest foot, this helped me to get the club on the inside as opposed to out to in which may be your issue. If doing this, it's a range drill to begin with as it is the extreme of what will be expected once you're on the course, weirdly enough it tends to balance itself out when you hit the course once you've bedded that feeling in.

Cheers for that. Other one I was told by a playing partner was to feel like my right elbow in the downswing is going up my right pocket. Few weeks of pain on the range ahead

Cheers for that. Other one I was told by a playing partner was to feel like my right elbow in the downswing is going up my right pocket. Few weeks of pain on the range ahead

For me its always easier to think about the direction I want to hit the ball rather than different positions for different body parts, but whatever works!

The right move just has to click a couple of times and you'll trust it. I always find it hard to trust a new move until I see a couple of good, solid shots with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GreeBo wrote: »
    For me its always easier to think about the direction I want to hit the ball rather than different positions for different body parts, but whatever works!

The right move just has to click a couple of times and you'll trust it. I always find it hard to trust a new move until I see a couple of good, solid shots with it!

I'd be similar to this. I struggle to change something when focussed on "do X with your right elbow", or something like that.
    GreeBo wrote:

I saw a clip of a pro giving similar advice to this on twitter & found it really good, in particular for hitting draws.

They were basically saying think like this over the ball. Its simple but quite effective

3VLFQtA.jpg

I'd be similar to this. I struggle to change something when focussed on "do X with your right elbow", or something like that.

I saw a clip of a pro giving similar advice to this on twitter & found it really good, in particular for hitting draws.

They were basically saying think like this over the ball. Its simple but quite effective

3VLFQtA.jpg

Yep, thats it exactly.

line 3 (or more!) up one "above" the other all with the draw line and hit them in quick succession, ignoring strike, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

it’s high and right every time no matter what way I swing at it or aim

It's timing. Just apex earlier. Drew you a diagram.

1430lTM.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Put headcovers under your arms and hit a few balls. Remove the left one and hit some more. Finally remove both but keep the feeling of the arms close to the chest.
    I find this good for forcing you to use your shoulders and stop you throwing your right shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it may help someone else to understand one possible cause for an over the top swing.

For years I have struggled with this and although I could try to fix it I never understood my underlying problem or ever really got rid of it.

This pictures in this link shows for me where I was going wrong and in my case it has nothing to do with timing or pushing my right shoulder forward.

https://www.golfdistillery.com/swing-errors/over-the-top/

My problem was all to do with my left arm and shoulder. I had an ingrained thought that the left arm must remain straight in the downswing. This meant that my left arm went from the top in a plane directly to the ball and the right arm had no choice but to follow that plane and therefore was getting pushed forward. In the attached link, think of a straight line through the left arm at the top position as the path I took back to the ball.

In the correct swing plane, the arms drop as well as rotate. I haven’t ever seen this problem being explained as a cause before.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭e.r

Panrich wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but it may help someone else to understand one possible cause for an over the top swing.

For years I have struggled with this and although I could try to fix it I never understood my underlying problem or ever really got rid of it.

This pictures in this link shows for me where I was going wrong and in my case it has nothing to do with timing or pushing my right shoulder forward.

https://www.golfdistillery.com/swing-errors/over-the-top/

My problem was all to do with my left arm and shoulder. I had an ingrained thought that the left arm must remain straight in the downswing. This meant that my left arm went from the top in a plane directly to the ball and the right arm had no choice but to follow that plane and therefore was getting pushed forward. In the attached link, think of a straight line through the left arm at the top position as the path I took back to the ball.

In the correct swing plane, the arms drop as well as rotate. I haven’t ever seen this problem being explained as a cause before.

Thanks for this, I found it helpful.

Advertisement