Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bushypark speed limit

• 02-08-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Going to Moycullen and entering Bushypatk there is a 50k speed sign. Passing through and with the Glenlo on your right you see in the distance a sign for 100k. Once you see that sign some drivers would start accelerating before passing it to get up to speed.

(Have you ever done that? )

Just after that sign is an incredibly dangerous bend the other side of which on the right is a house whose wall has been crashed into more than once by traffic coming the other way. I think some fatalities as well I'm not sure. Incredibly, there is a Drive Slowly sign near that house.

Is this just pure madness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Back in 2005 or whenever we moved to kilometers a lot of national speed limit (black diagonal) signs were replaced by inappropriate speed limits. Most of them were just translated to 80km/h without any consideration to safety.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2500312,-9.2310216,3a,75y,246.11h,75.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scyjSUPRDZ2hl4gmKG-UNWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know if I speed up prematurely at that location - maybe, maybe not. Probably.
    Not sure where this incredibly dangerous bend is, is it the double bend at the turnoff for Gortacleva?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote:
    I don't know if I speed up prematurely at that location - maybe, maybe not. Probably. Not sure where this incredibly dangerous bend is, is it the double bend at the turnoff for Gortacleva?

Yes those bends. At 100k incredibly dangerous.

Wouldn’t see them bends as bad myself tbh.

Wouldn’t see them bends as bad myself tbh.

I have to say I would.
    At 100k, meeting a cyclist also at the corner, you would be looking for trouble. You'd have to be Lewis Hamilton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Unfortunately it seems you need to meet a certain quota for deaths before anyone will bother to do something about it.

But maybe worth contacting the county council nonetheless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It’s incredibly hard to turn right from Gortacleva onto the clifden road as you can’t see around the bend - if cars are travelling fast they are on top of you before you can see them approaching. That’s one of the things that makes it dangerous rather than the angle of the bend in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Unfortunately it seems you need to meet a certain quota for deaths before anyone will bother to do something about it.

But maybe worth contacting the county council nonetheless?

True, coupled with there being no cycle or footpath. Pedestrian lad from UK killed there last year. Horrible bend considering the amount of traffic and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

It goes to 100kph after Glenlo coz you're out of the city boundary then. Before that you're within the city so it's 50kph

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seen a motor bike overtaking a car on one of those bends today. Almost got smashed by an oncoming car. Less than 20 seconds later he would have been on straight stretch anyway. See it regularly with cars overtaking cyclists too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It goes to 100kph after Glenlo coz you're out of the city boundary then. Before that you're within the city so it's 50kph

It should really be extended regardless - the 50kph limit until the straight section with Hard Shoulders.

It should really be extended regardless - the 50kph limit until the straight section with Hard Shoulders.

Absolutely.
    That's logical and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

It's not mandatory to go 100k around the bends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Was someone from the council reading this thread? The speed limit has now been reduced to 80km/h from that bend as far as where the road straightens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Council have eyes and ears everywhere

Was someone from the council reading this thread? The speed limit has now been reduced to 80km/h from that bend as far as where the road straightens.

Would TII have responsibility here as its National Road.
    Or can the Gardai suggest I wonder? - if alot of incidents are occuring at/near the junction for Gortaclava would imagine they can suggest to the TII re the limit on that section of the N59

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

zell12 wrote: »
    The Council have eyes and ears everywhere
    Not council, TII.

As you come to the end of good wide road to moycullen where it narrows, has the speed limit changed? I thought it was 50k but did i notice a 60k or 80k?

The increased on one section and decreased on another. After passing the Glenlo Abbey Hotel Outbound it is now 80km/h. Should really be 50km/h until after the Gortaclava turnoff. Then 80km/h until the section with Hard Shoulders.

Advertisement