Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 decolts

Have any of you been watching the colts 'with the next pick' series? really is a great insight into the process of scouting, up to the war room during the draft. Top quality production!

If this doesnt get you excited for the season ahead i dont know what will! ha.. Loving Reich's reaction after the 3rd round pick - it would seem they got all the guys they were really targeting! Even the discussion it shows when they were talking about the players pre-draft on Banogu and Okereke where they were trying to decide which to go for, and then managed to get both!

Final episode here in case you were interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5QNhKYq8WU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

What do we think of signing Suh? Missing piece of jigsaw at a position of weakness by bringing in quality experience or a disruption that goes against the culture team are building? ...He hasn't signed just is still available and Colts could afford him on a one year easy. $14m for year with Rams, maybe with the market he could get signed for $10m without causing disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭letowski

Deco99 wrote:
    What do we think of signing Suh? Missing piece of jigsaw at a position of weakness by bringing in quality experience or a disruption that goes against the culture team are building? ...He hasn't signed just is still available and Colts could afford him on a one year easy. $14m for year with Rams, maybe with the market he could get signed for $10m without causing disruption

Yeah I would like him as we need more players with his skill set that can play at NT or DT. I think Grover Stewart is the only player thats above 300lbs. All the others, Autry, Hunt, Lewis and Ward are converted DEs although I was impressed with how Hunt played at NT later last year. I suppose Suh's age profile and character history goes against what Ballard wants. Id say we will probably bring a NT during the final cuts are made after the pre-season games.

Overall, I like the depth of the squad other than DT and OT. Especially on defense at LB, CB and S, we have nice young depth. Funchess, Campbell and Cain are going to be good upgades from Grant, Rodgers and Pascal at WR2-4 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

McCoy might be worth pursuing, we've still got plenty of cap space.

Would be very surprised if we didnt have interest in McCoy - he would be a great fit both positional and personality.. Pretty much a perfect fit for Ballard. Don't see why we wouldn't do a one year contract for someone like him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

decolts wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if we didnt have interest in McCoy - he would be a great fit both positional and personality.. Pretty much a perfect fit for Ballard. Don't see why we wouldn't do a one year contract for someone like him!

The culture seems to be build the big names from within. Which is fair enough. McCoy is a big name. Suh is a big name. I think the biggest names we can expect are guys that have not worked out elsewhere so still have something to prove.. Ebron, Funchess... But maybe McCoy could slot into the Justin Houston type acquisition? Also McCoy is a great character to have... Just this one exception Chris?

For any of you who have game pass this is worth watching:

https://www.nflgamepass.com/en/original-series/andrew-luck

Hey all, just checkin in to see what you all think about Luck and this injury? I thought we were past hearing only about Andrew Luck injuries in preseason after the last couple of years! it's so frustrating to hear how they weren't able to diagnose the issue earlier, and couldn't figure out what was wrong with him! Really don't have much confidence in him appearing in the first few weeks of the season at this rate!

And related to the above.. Jacoby Brissett. Sounds like he hasnt been having the best training camp up to now, and after all the talk from the colts about how good he is, and how it would take a top draft pick to trade him im not so sure he is as good as they seem to think he is! In saying that, it sounds like he had his best day of preseason yesterday in the session with the Browns - which is encouraging.. so maybe he's starting to go in the right direction!

Away from the QB position.. positive reports are coming out on quite a few areas.. the DL in particular sounds like it is stepping up which is awesome.. Autry sounds like he's been a beast all training camp and Houston sounds like he is settling in nicely as well. Rock Ya-Sin is another one who sounds like a top quality draft pick.. looking forward to seeing our secondary in action now - we've really improved there, and having Hooker fit for preseason will make a huge difference to his season. WR's is another area that there is big excitement around - the strength in depth there is nuts.. if all the reports are to be believed.. delighted to hear Cain is performing after what happened last year, Fountain has also come on after a not so good rookie season. Have to think Pascal and Rogers are in line to be cut as it stands - cant' be taking more than 5 wr's into the final squad right?! Hilton, Funchess, Cain, Fountain, Campbell..

If Luck gets fit and can play in final pre-season game.. which seems to be the target at the moment.. then i'm super excited for the season! if he can't get fit tho for that, and miss few games.. i worry we might just be getting a wildcard route at best. Interested to hear your thoughts guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d be wondering what the colts medical staff have been doing this off season to not check why your starting QB isn’t able to practice most of the off season ? How does an issue that wasn’t meant to hold him out of training camp has now done so and now it’s developed into an ankle issue.

It must be annoying for colts fans that if treated properly back when it first happened this injury wouldn’t be the one it is now and the colts starting QB wouldn’t be in danger of missing week 1.

The Luck injury is extremely frustrating. When we first heard about it, back in mini camp in March, the Colts sat out Luck for the mini camp because of a 'minor calf strain'. That was fine at the time and sensible. But when he came back months later or training camp in July and the Colts said he was still dealing with the calf strain.. like, that was clearly BS. Even a severe calf strain would be cleared up by then. Then there was rumors circulating that it was his ankle and he might have a Kevin Durant type Achilles injury. Now its an issue with his bone in his ankle. And the Colts only released this info because Irsay spoke out of turn in an interview.

I'm not sure who to blame, but there is obviously a disconnect between the Colts PR team, medical team and the fans. Obviously the Colts have no obligation to release information to anybody, but this issue is getting more and more out of hand now to the point most shows and socal media are talking about it now. And if its the medical teams fault, serious questions have to be asked of their rehab staff and procedure that this is the second major injury to the franchise QB where there have been significant set-backs. Or maybe its just Luck's fault i dont know.

Reich said he will make a decision whether they go with Brissett for Wk1 @ LAC after the 3rd preseason game. To be honest, even if Luck is back, I'd just throw the game against LAC, start Brissett and give Luck 20 days from the 3rd preseason game to Wk2 v Titans. Play him then. It's highly unlikely Luck will be able to go LAC and get a win of the back of hardly any practice.

Was looking forward to this season but the off season has been a real disaster to be honest. Hopefully they can get it together but they looked bad against Buffalo and apparently Cleveland are dominating them in joint practice along with multiple fights. They can get things straightened out, get Luck back and get the season on track.

• Advertisement

Think I went and cursed the WR's with my comments yday! Fountain out for most likely the season! Sounds like a pretty horrific injury and a massive blow to a guy who was one of the standouts in pre-season. Pascal should be ready to fill that 5th WR spot tho as with his special teams ability then he'd have to be ahead of Rogers!

Sounds like yesterdays practice with the Browns wasn't the best though I'm nearly willing to write that off as it seemed to be after the Fountain injury that it all went downhill. Hard for the players to perform after seeing a team mate and friend get an injury like that. The fights in yday's session as well didnt help matters - surprised they didnt call it a day sooner than they did as it was just farcical by the sounds of it.

Tomorrow nights match will give us a much better picture of where we are at anyway - nice time too so should actually be able to watch this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Absolutely gutted about Luck.We were well built to make a run this year. Not Brissett's biggest fan either so the offence is going to be a struggle to watch this year.

Total shock. It was horrible viewing watching the end of the game last night and the news breaking, then the boos. This whole thing was a nightmare. I feel really sorry for Luck who I loved as a player and person. He was completely left down under the Grigson/Pagano regime.

Listening to the presser was difficult. Actually one of the first things Ballard said when he walked in the Build two years ago when Luck was going through the torn labrum injury was that it is never about one guy. But jeez that statement was fully tested last night. If I were to be totally honest, I thought Frank Reich looked in complete shock, he was just staring down at the table all press conference.

Its a turning point in our franchise. I thought we were building a team capable of challenging for a SB in the next season, possibly in even this season if we got hot at the right time. Doesnt feel that way now. I like Jacoby, but we have a tough schedule and he is only a good backup. His contract is up next year, I would be surprised if the Colts keep him as the franchise QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

letowski wrote: »
    Total shock. It was horrible viewing watching the end of the game last night and the news breaking, then the boos. This whole thing was a nightmare. I feel really sorry for Luck who I loved as a player and person. He was completely left down under the Grigson/Pagano regime.

Listening to the presser was difficult. Actually one of the first things Ballard said when he walked in the Build two years ago when Luck was going through the torn labrum injury was that it is never about one guy. But jeez that statement was fully tested last night. If I were to be totally honest, I thought Frank Reich looked in complete shock, he was just staring down at the table all press conference.

Its a turning point in our franchise. I thought we were building a team capable of challenging for a SB in the next season, possibly in even this season if we got hot at the right time. Doesnt feel that way now. I like Jacoby, but we have a tough schedule and he is only a good backup. His contract is up next year, I would be surprised if the Colts keep him as the franchise QB.

The boo's were poor form but I can see where some are coming from. Perhaps the boo's were aimed at the organisation overall. Irsay appointed Grigson who literally broke the best QB prospect since Manning. I guess the fans have felt lied and cheated to for a while now. I think timing on Lucks part was poor. If this was in his thinking for some time, then he should have gave us every chance to replace him.

The boo's were poor form but I can see where some are coming from. Perhaps the boo's were aimed at the organisation overall. Irsay appointed Grigson who literally broke the best QB prospect since Manning. I guess the fans have felt lied and cheated to for a while now. I think timing on Lucks part was poor. If this was in his thinking for some time, then he should have gave us every chance to replace him.

I think you make a good point with regards to the Colts PR and the fans. 2017 was just terrible on so many levels for a Colts fan because nobody had any clue what was going on. He was supposed to be back for TC, then it was WK1 then it was after a couple of games.. then IR. The intransparency of the whole sagas was very frustrating. Alot of people pay alot of money to go see Luck and the Colts play. Honestly I cant believe this situation has happened again. Its depressing.

Luck is the last person I blame though. His metal health is paramount, and it was clear 2017 was extremely difficult for him personally. I really hope he finds happiness in life. Its such a sad ending to a player with rare talent.

Hard to see which direction the franchise goes in. Ballard and Reich are good guys though if inexperienced still in their roles. I feel like we will be drafting a new QB next year, Id be surprised if we sign Brissett to a new deal next offseason. But we will see how it goes.

Another positive is that we have a very young team, the youngest last year when you take out Vinnie lol. There is a good core there. Hopefully we can get the QB position solved so we can get back on track. Might be hard resigning some guys though.

One person I feel sorry for is Vinateri who probably taught there was one last chance to win a SB with this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I was sooo hopeful of making a run at SB this year, this just sucks.

Sounds like Luck is doing what he needs to do and I can't fault him for that, the organisation should have done more to take care of him earlier in his career and we likely wouldn't be here.

We're going to have an absolute mountain of cap space to spend. If we can find a solution at QB (whether that's JB or someone else) we will have the money to bolster an already good young squad and have a shot at challenging over the next few years.

Absolutely gutted and in shock about Luck. Woke up this morning and went to check I straight away the result of the match.. never expected to see this news! I thought my bleary eyes were deceiving me and that I misread the first tweet I saw about it! Got to feel for Luck, the guy has been thru **** over the last few years, he had to make this decision - married and baby on the way, there is better things fo life than football and he's now got the money to go on and have a great life with his family and not have any more worries about injuries and what not! Can only wish him the best with his retirement. I cant get over the crowd reaction about it, I hope that wont be his send off as he deserves to be celebrated and not booed at!
    I really thought we could do a run for the SB this year but now it is impossible to ask, we might get a good run as I think Reich will do a good job with Brissett but it's not gonna be anywhere near the year we should've been having.
    Definitely see them looking around next year, not sure about a draft selection tho (via trades) but someone experience maybe who might come up on the market. The future is not Jacoby Brissett as much as I like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

The boos weren't right but i don't think the timing was right either. Its very close to season start to now plan properly without your 1st choice QB. It feels like the last few years have been a waste. Luck comes in, has no luck and Manning goes on to win another Ring.

The front office have a lot of questions to answer, do they have ambition or do they just after an easy paycheck.

The boos weren't right but i don't think the timing was right either. Its very close to season start to now plan properly without your 1st choice QB. It feels like the last few years have been a waste. Luck comes in, has no luck and Manning goes on to win another Ring.

The front office have a lot of questions to answer, do they have ambition or do they just after an easy paycheck.

Yeah, the Colts fans are being vilified by most media outlets, its fair, and it was horrible to a great servant to the franchise. But I think every Colts fan felt a huge level of sadness, confusion and frustration at the time, 2 weeks before the regular season, when we were told be everyone, including Luck, that he will play. I was hit hard by the news, I was up until 4.30am listening to the press conference and the news. But the boos were of emotional anguish than malice. The reality is that this whole saga was handled wrong by the Colts, just like it was in 2017 and unfortunately the fans as a result, handled it badly too.

Moving forward, its a clear turning point in the franchise. Brissett will be given the opportunity of a lifetime, to stake a claim for a QB1 job with a NFL team that has good talent and coaching around him. Imo Ballard needs to make a clear cut decision next offseason whether he wants to keep going with Brissett as QB1 or we look at the draft. He will have 16 games of VT to make that call, which is plenty. I don't want to be in a QB limbo where we have the talent, but the QB is holding us back.

I still think, if Brissett plays decent, we can challenge for the division. We are not a contender anymore which hurts. But its important that the winning culture we developed from last year keeps growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah, the Colts fans are being vilified by most media outlets, its fair, and it was horrible to a great servant to the franchise. But I think every Colts fan felt a huge level of sadness, confusion and frustration at the time, 2 weeks before the regular season, when we were told be everyone, including Luck, that he will play. I was hit hard by the news, I was up until 4.30am listening to the press conference and the news. But the boos were of emotional anguish than malice. The reality is that this whole saga was handled wrong by the Colts, just like it was in 2017 and unfortunately the fans as a result, handled it badly too.

Moving forward, its a clear turning point in the franchise. Brissett will be given the opportunity of a lifetime, to stake a claim for a QB1 job with a NFL team that has good talent and coaching around him. Imo Ballard needs to make a clear cut decision next offseason whether he wants to keep going with Brissett as QB1 or we look at the draft. He will have 16 games of VT to make that call, which is plenty. I don't want to be in a QB limbo where we have the talent, but the QB is holding us back.

I still think, if Brissett plays decent, we can challenge for the division. We are not a contender anymore which hurts. But its important that the winning culture we developed from last year keeps growing.

Agree with all that. We are now a playoff team and not one to contend for the conference or Superbowl.

The question has to be asked, was the lack of a decent D for Luck over a number of seasons a reason for his injuries and early retirement.

Our running game isn't filling me with joy either, if we can't throw we need a good running game and you'll do well to find any of our RB in a top 10 list anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

I'm still in shock a few days later. I'm happy for Luck as he's a good guy and after seeing him hit over and over in his first few years in the league, it's good to know when he gets into his later years he's not going to be constant pain like you hear a good lot of older players.

For Brissett, I'm hopeful. Seeing him celebrating with the defense last year, you can see he's one of the team and he has their respect. So they'll follow him. Can't see any reason why Reich won't set up things to maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses too.
    Plus with Luck not there, they can focus on the run and not have to deal with people complaining about not making use of Luck enough.

They can challenge for the division, and once you're into the playoffs, it's one game at a time. If Trent Dilfer can win a superbowl, why not Brissett? :-)

Then come next year, it's open season. Ballard can go anyway he likes. They can find the perfect QB for Reich, be it Brissett, another available NFL QB or draft one. Most of the holes are filled in the roster, so they could deal away a few to get a better QB too.

But this is me a week and a half away from the opening game of the season. Things may change very quickly like is usually does in the NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I think Chad Kelly could be the QB of the future for the Colts. He was slinging it pretty good vs the Browns, showed mobility and can throw on the run. Granted it was against backups and even 3rd string but his supporting cast were all backups too. He has the pedigree and he plays with an edge. But I don't think he can take snaps under center yet. They had 4th and inches in the red zone and lined up in shotgun and tried to throw after getting stuffed on a 3rd and 1 run.

I think they'll be okay under Brissett but need to get better blocking and running and then develop a young guy, either Kelly or a draft pick. Sam Ellinger from Texas is a guy who I like, he reminds me of Luck a bit who could probably be got jn round 2 or 3 if he comes out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

If Kelly has grown up after Denver, who knows. He's suspended the first 2 games because of that too.
    As long as Ballard and Reich pick the right guy to get the most out of their scheme.

If Kelly has grown up after Denver, who knows. He's suspended the first 2 games because of that too.
    As long as Ballard and Reich pick the right guy to get the most out of their scheme.

I think that whole thing was blown out of proportion, he was blackout drunk and didn't know where we was or what he was doing.. He wandered into somewhere and sat on a couch probably thinking he was still at the Halloween party. Needs to stay off the booze for sure but it's crazy to think he's suspended for that and Tyreek Hill broke a child's arm and he is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think that whole thing was blown out of proportion, he was blackout drunk and didn't know where we was or what he was doing.. He wandered into somewhere and sat on a couch probably thinking he was still at the Halloween party. Needs to stay off the booze for sure but it's crazy to think he's suspended for that and Tyreek Hill broke a child's arm and he is playing.

He'd have that excuse if that event wasn't part of a pattern of him acting like, at best, an idiot.

He got kicked out of Clemson for numerous issues, a few months later assaulted a bouncer after being refused entry, and when a Ole Miss ran on to a high school field during a game to try to get involved in a brawl that his brother was in. Each time they released the same sort of 'apology'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Luck put the Colts in the worst possible position. The team is good enough to get into the playoffs this year but probably out in first round. Therefore not in a good position to get a top QB in the 2020 draft. Going after Teddy Bridgewater or Ryan Fitzpatrick might be their best option at the moment.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

notobtuse wrote: »
    Luck put the Colts in the worst possible position. The team is good enough to get into the playoffs this year but probably out in first round. Therefore not in a good position to get a top QB in the 2020 draft. Going after Teddy Bridgewater or Ryan Fitzpatrick might be their best option at the moment.

I think the Colts have to give Brissett his shot now. He has been there a few years, knows the system and players etc. Brissett may actually be very serviceable if they play to his strengths, only one way to find out. They do need to find a viable backup though. You know what you are going to get out of journeymen like Fitzpatrick, i’d much rather roll with the guy they’ve been developing if it was my team.

Given the Colts let Andrew Luck keep his signing bonus I would not actually be surprised to see him back at some stage once his body is healed and his head is cleared. He is only 29 after all, time is on his side. I know it may be daft to be suggesting that now but I honestly wouldn’t rule it out assuming he will be physically able to play in the future. Time away from the game may change his perspective.

notobtuse wrote: »

I don't think either is an upgrade nor would either team let them go as Fitz will probably start in miami and NO will want Bridge not just as a backup but to bridge (sorry) between Brees when he finishes and whoever they develop. I think people overrate Bridge when he makes a few good throws in preseason. Ive also seen him make some howlers and he holds the ball too long and isnt that mobile.

It's too late to get anyone for anything other than depth, JB will start 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Seems free-agent quarterback Brock Osweiler visited the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday. He might make a respectable backup QB for the Colts this year.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Advertisement