Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hail Satan?

• 25-08-2019 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,786 ✭✭✭✭

This doc looks like a lot of fun has anyone seen it?

https://youtu.be/27RtJp-rhHk

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I should find this funny or bizarre but I dunno, I kinda get the appeal of satanism in a puritanical society like America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I think it's more about social justice from the workings of a religion, rather than a religion per se; from RT

"When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organize a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom and challenge corrupt authority..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I should find this funny or bizarre but I dunno, I kinda get the appeal of satanism in a puritanical society like America.
    I think it's less about a faith system, and more about a vehicle for secular protest. If a huge engraving of the ten commandments gets outside a courthouse, they'll demand a satanic statue beside it. It seems to be much more effective than appealing to their legal separation of church and state.

Wasn't as much fun as I expected, but fairly interesting take on church/state separation through the lens of religious discrimination in America; as a symbol of general social and institutional discrimination by the majority (which needs a lot of unpacking). There was a lot interesting stuff going on that were only touched on, making it feel like it should have been a short series of documentaries from different angles; it seemed to end just as it was only really starting to pack its argumentative punch. Overall though, it did convey a sense of Sympathy for the Devilists for me, with an interesting ending of how all institutions develop their orthodoxies, and thereby their heresies. After all, the devil is in the detail.
    Maybe a short series might result. I'd watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,758 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder did this come about after the satanic church complained about the statue in Sabrina?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder did this come about after the satanic church complained about the statue in Sabrina?
    Although controversy sells, and Sabrina is also a Netflix show, I don't suppose many people would have picked up on this, even in America. 'Hail Satan?' picks up on the financial strain of the temple's activities, but seems to have profited from Sabrina's use of the statue:
    "The Satanic Temple sued Netflix in November 2018 over usage of a likeness of the statue in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.[16] The case was settled out of court for an undisclosed financial sum and The Satanic Temple being given credit for the statue in future broadcasts."
    Here's the basis of the copyright infringement (as well as other bases for redress)

497130.png

The Church of Satan don't seem to have a problem with it though:
    https://hornet.com/stories/satanic-temple-church-of-satan-sabrina/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That is not Satan though. It's Baphomet.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That is not Satan though. It's Baphomet.
    That's true. It's a (borrowed) occult deity as a chosen stand-in. A graven image chosen (tongue-in-cheek) as a hypostatization/incarnation of their (pretend) deity.

Advertisement