Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agenda setting in the GAA

• 23-08-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭

Note*I am discussing the clear agenda being set by certain journalists/pundits who comment on the GAA*

Just using various issues as examples and the train of headlines/comments by those individuals

I have thought about this and the more I think about it is clear that a small cohort commenting on the GAA are manipulating the agenda discussion within the GAA to suit thier agenda whether the majority believe it or not.

Perceptions of reality can be created by these few individuals commenting on the GAA for example this is viewed in psychology -

People are being framed in thier thought process without even realising it

People are also influenced by the power of suggestion through priming -

Take for example the following subjects -

The Super 8's - are not popular

Martin Breheny: 'That non-event in Omagh was a betrayal of the championship - it's time to scrap Super 8s'

Martin Breheny: 'Dead rubber stink may yet overpower Super 8s idea'

Now if I was not at that particular game in Omagh I might have believed this.
    On the ground this was not true at all both the Dublin and Tryone fans really enjoyed the day - full house jam packed.

There was also no discussion of other great games like Mayo v Donegal and Donegal v Mayo - in the super 8's because this did not suit the argument.

In my view the reality is Cork and Meath , despite on winning a game will develop because of the Super 8's. As did Roscommon who got thier first ever win in the super 8's against Cork where the game was treated seriously by the players despite being a 'dead rubber'.

----

The Dublin - Finances - equals success - argument

(Note I am merely looking at how this is framed by certain journalists)

Ewan MacKenna: 'How obscenely good Dublin GAA have it is best highlighted by how disgracefully bad some others have it'

There is no mention of the quality of Dublin players and so on.
    Other periods of similar dominance in the GAA
    No praise for achievement - quality of players / management
    No mention of the numbers of players used and still there since 2011 (11) for example
    No mention of the fall in standards of the traditional counties.
    No mention of Dublin's previous severe regression below the mean. and underachievement despite previous advantages.
    No mention of intercounty Dublin hurling which has dipped since 2013

Or Club football where the Dublin football champions have been defeated by Brigids - Roscommon (2013) - Corofin Galway (2015) - Rathew Wicklow (2017) - Mullinaughta Longford (2019) (only one of these defeats was in an AI final the others were in leinster - and the Corofin one was in a SF)

In fact McKenna has now subtlety twisted the argument slightly

Ewan MacKenna: Cracks are appearing in the Dublin GAA model - and it's time to ask if their house really is in order

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ewan-mackenna-cracks-are-appearing-in-the-dublin-gaa-model-and-its-time-to-ask-if-their-house-really-is-in-order-37223231.html

He has now wrote an extensive article claiming that despite finances Dublin have not got 'thier house in order'

But to surely if you follow this 'new' line of argument - this means that Dublin are/were underfunded and Dublin require/required the finances after years of neglect? :confused:

The game of football is dying

Ewan MacKenna: Gaelic football is dying - and if the Dublin problem isn't tackled, it will soon be in the ground

If Dublin are the cause of football dying the figures do not back it up
    Dublin draw in the largest attendances in the league consistently - despite a drop.
    It is the same in Leinster even though there has been a drop in attendances.

It is also interesting to see that Dublin's SF against Mayo (2019) was a sell out and the Kerry v Tyrone (2019) one was half full.
    Which is in-congruent - surely if football was dying because of Dublin BOTH semi-final's would have dropped?

In fact the attendance in the Dublin game should have went off a cliff - if the 'Dublin problem' theory was true.
    Also the attendance in the Kerry v Tyrone game should have been much higher as the 'Dublin problem' was not involved.
    Both teams had a great chance to reach a final.

---

Dublin's - Home advantage

If if the game is exciting and contradicts the 'Dublin problem - football is dying argument'
    Suddenly another argument is put forth 'home advantage'

0q7kLp8.png

This was after the 2018 division 1 final where Dublin beat Galway by four points. It was despite Dublin having to play with 14 men for 20 minutes!
    But yet this particular journalist immediately implied 'home advantage' as the cause of Dublin's win in the aftermath.

Then of course there was the Super 8's argument Dublin home games-
    The impression was given that the whole of the country was against Dublin having two home games in Croke Park
    I thought that myself - fair is fair I thought.

Some were more blunt on the issue.

Conan Doherty - "Tough ****" - Dublin should not be allowed to play two Super 8 games at Croke Park

But then the reality was when the Donegal motion was brought to congress (no team could nominate CP as a home venue in the Super 8's) it resulted in a heavy defeat nearly 60/30!!

Shock, horror!

Personal attacks on Jim Gavin for being humble

Jim Gavin has been described as an odious man by Ewan McKenna (Since deleted/altered tweet) - for the simple fact that he does not say he will hammer the opposition in interviews.
    His humble nature is used as a stick to beat him.

Yet other successful managers in Gaelic football have also had the same approach as Jim Gavin

Be Humble - be Ruthless - take Risks, Cody tells Limerick audience the keys to success

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/378167/be-ruthless-be-humble-take-risks-cody-tells-limerick-audience-keys-to-success.html

The late Eugene McGee also described Mick O'Dywer as 'humble' https://www.newstalk.com/sport/what-made-mick-odwyer-the-greatest-team-manager-ever-710776

Davy Fitzgerald also uses the word humble to describe his group of Wexford players

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2019/0630/1059372-were-a-good-fit-theyre-half-mad-im-half-mad/

To me it seems that is is a common trait among the great GAA managers yet among some who are trying to frame the agenda it is viewed as disingenuous or negative

---

I have found that this attitude has permeated to certain posters on boards.ie who come out with comments like.
    I won't watch the AI final it is a forgone conclusion.
    Then in the same breath state even if is an enjoyable football final against Dublin would only have won because of xyz!

---

Dublin are not the only one's they are just the most current

I know Dublin are not the only examples of agenda setting -

The same was done with the attacks on Sean Cavanagh that led to the black card rule

- the fella was made a scapegoat

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/brolly-s-message-shouldn-t-be-lost-in-the-medium-1.1486510

Others tried to run Kevin McStay out of a job when he was with Roscommon through the media

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/09/15/news/kevin-mcstay-attacks-media-over-stories-that-surrounded-roscommon-exit-1433547/

Pat Spillane's Puke football comment

(which a decade later he backtracked on)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-admits-2003-tyrone-10484845

Brolly's about-turn on Donegal

First he lauded the Doengal 'System' in 2014:

Analysis: How 'the system' wins games for Donegal

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2014/0915/643952-brolly/

In 2018 Brolly then claimed:

Joe Brolly: Jim McGuinness advocates a defensive strategy that would bore us to death

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/joe-brolly/joe-brolly-jim-mcguinness-advocates-a-defensive-strategy-that-would-bore-us-to-death-37252109.html

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Kerry and the pure football,
    Kilkenny and the let it flow, manly game mantra....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

2011 and Ireland beat Australia in the Rugby World Cup.

Given the threat caused to the GAA in the capital by rugby, it would be great for the game if Dublin with the All Ireland the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Super 8's are s***e so far. Maybe the GAA are just unlucky with the way they've worked out but most of the games have been poor and both years have ended up with dead rubbers.

Dublin shouldn't play so many games in Croke Park.

Decision to introduce the black card was made before that Sean Cavanagh incident.

Pundits change their spots more often than I change my clothes. When Brolly et all spout something I don't believe they have an agenda more they like spouting!

McKenna is obviously different but I'm not sure if many pay him much heed nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Super 8's are s***e so far. Maybe the GAA are just unlucky with the way they've worked out but most of the games have been poor and both years have ended up with dead rubbers.

Dublin shouldn't play so many games in Croke Park.

Decision to introduce the black card was made before that Sean Cavanagh incident.

Pundits change their spots more often than I change my clothes. When Brolly et all spout something I don't believe they have an agenda more they like spouting!

McKenna is obviously different but I'm not sure if many pay him much heed nowadays.

But I enjoyed the super 8's great games Donegal - Kerry, Mayo v Donegal.
    I enjoyed the Omagh game as well great day out - packed ground (feeds into Dublin playing less home games - was a bit of craic)

Everyone else there seemed to really enjoy the Omagh game that was at it, except some in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

But I enjoyed the super 8's great games Donegal - Kerry, Mayo v Donegal.
    I enjoyed the Omagh game as well great day out - packed ground.
    Everyone else there seemed to really enjoy the Omagh game that was at it, except some in the media?

I can't really comment on the "day" that was had as I wasn't there. But I didn't watch it due to the nature of the game. Tyrone with 13 changes and Dublin with around the same. So more or less a friendly. If both teams season were on the line things would of been viewed a whole lot differently. I think the Super 8's were championed as white knuckle raw games in the middle of our summer. I don't think Omagh would be classed as that.

Dublin vs Cork for the first half, Donegal vs Kerry and Mayo vs Donegal (for excitement not quality) were decent affairs. But its not the rollercoaster ride the GAA thought it would be with people having phones glued to their ears wondering how the other game in the group is going in the last round of fixtures. I don't think it will last past its current term of three years without some tweaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Opens thread.

See's McKenna's name mentioned.

Leaves thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Super 8s as a whole was a movement in the direction of making the GAA modern and accustomising it to those who disagreed with the original format.

There will be some boring games sadly that is how it falls with the groups, but also senior hurling final wasnt wholly entertaining this year. Its just how games fall. Good read otherwise Gorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Asked the question in the pub earlier, would you go to the all Ireland football final?

Out of 10 lads who all play some GAA, none of them were bothered.

Asked the question in the pub earlier, would you go to the all Ireland football final?

So those who play the sport wont attend the greatest spectacle and the penultimate game of their choice of sport?

Jaysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Not all of the media on that list is of a similar footing though. For example, comparing the nonsense that mcstay faced in roscommon to mckenna's article on the poor returns on the comparatively massive spending on dublin is not really fair. Mckenna has referenced several facts and figures that are 100% accurate, which in turn raises interesting debate as regards what represents value for money on such an investment and what success of the project should actually be guaged on. That is good subject matter for discussion and debate. (You mightnt like that debate but that doesnt mean it isnt an interesting one).
    The roscommon stuff seemed that basically mcstay wasnt from roscommon therefore he couldnt do the job, which anyone can see is just kinda nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Super 8s is a ridiculous nickname as bar two teams the rest are far from super.
    The price for all ireland tickets is a way too much for many supporters. Even if I was offered tickets I couldnt justify paying 90 euro each. The price of two tickets wuld cover my utility bill for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

So those who play the sport wont attend the greatest spectacle and the penultimate game of their choice of sport?

Jaysis

Why are you surprised? To pay 90 quid for a ticket to a non competitive event? Also the AI is not the penultimate game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Jaysis

None of them went to the semi finals either

There just a growing apathy towards county games among a lot of club players and the GAA community

Jaysis

Why are you surprised? To pay 90 quid for a ticket to a non competitive event? Also the AI is not the penultimate game!

Well it is. It can go to a replay. Google definition. And 90 quid is nothing.

Jaysis

Well it is. It can go to a replay. Google definition. And 90 quid is nothing to see ur county lift sam or Christy

Jaysis

None of them went to the semi finals either

There just a growing apathy towards county games among a lot of club players and the GAA community

Well the final is sold solid. If your commited to the ethos of the GAA you will attend, dedpite your grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

"Don't look now lads, but here's Beggar's Bush with another one of his mad surveys. just nod and agree with him."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The biggest agenda setting I can remember was against Lee Keegan in 2016 (I think that was the year anyway). It surprised me how bias the media were at that time against him which fuelled #whatleedid. He got a very harsh black card in that game as well...

I left out another agenda setting that the GAA are all about money the 'Grab All Association' etc

1) When was the last time the GAA increased ticket prices increased for the All-Ireland final?

2) The GAA offer an early bird option on other tickets throughout the year - this is designed so the GAA do not have to handle lots of cash on the day and encourages people to buy tickets early

3) OAP and Student Prices - u16 = €5 at other times throughout the year
    OAP and students get a rebate at the gate - I have seen auld lads get €10/15 rebates (block D) and expect more! :D

https://www.gaa.ie/tickets/ticket-concessions

4) There are also various deals the GAA run - Hurling Heaven, Football Feast

https://www.gaa.ie/tickets/packages

---

Yet we have hyperbole from the likes of Eddie Brennan where he says it is 'shocking' for youngsters to have to pay €90.

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/controversy-e90-price-ireland-final-tickets-334957

When every man and his dog know that Football/Hurling finals are always the exception and the culture is that youngsters do not attend AI finals for the most part.
    The corporate brigade come out in force and who the GAA make the big money from.

Yet the GAA is painted as the enemy a price increase is shocking.
    Really?
    An organisation trying to get more funds in the organisation and increase finances - that funnels it back into the game.

Also everyone knows that there is wide spread abuse of the season ticket system - questionable use of wheelchair tickets by able-bodied people, and adults using underage tickets when they could in the past.
    I have yet to hear anyone like Eddie Brennan call that 'shocking' or even highlight it for example.
    The criticism always seems very one sided - the GAA are all about the money and the punters are the innocence's immune from criticism.

All in all I think the GAA are very fair with thier ticket pricing - especially when you compare them to other sporting organisations.

Not all of the media on that list is of a similar footing though. For example, comparing the nonsense that mcstay faced in roscommon to mckenna's article on the poor returns on the comparatively massive spending on dublin is not really fair. Mckenna has referenced several facts and figures that are 100% accurate, which in turn raises interesting debate as regards what represents value for money on such an investment and what success of the project should actually be guaged on. That is good subject matter for discussion and debate. (You mightnt like that debate but that doesnt mean it isnt an interesting one).
    The roscommon stuff seemed that basically mcstay wasnt from roscommon therefore he couldnt do the job, which anyone can see is just kinda nonsensical.

If you want to believe that the facts and figures are objectively used in a fair manner, you are entitled to hold that point of view.
    But what you seemed to have glossed over is the connection I made between the personal attacks.
    McStay received them from inside Roscommon.
    Also the personal attack(s) Jim Gavin receives from a certain journalist.

Is calling someone a 'a disingenuous, odious, nasty, little man' factually accurate for example?
    Or is it just a subjective attack designed to get as much attention as possible?
    And then this certain individual can then claim Dublin supporters cannot conduct a civil debate.....

Surely such attacks are indicative of a strongly held vendetta or agenda?
    And such attacks make those who resort to it lose credibility.
    This in turn makes others question so called 'facts' in light of these other statements - as there is a clear problem with objectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Well it is. It can go to a replay. Google definition. And 90 quid is nothing to see ur county lift sam or Christy

What? It only becomes the penultimate game if there is a draw and it goes to a replay. Describing the upcoming All-Ireland final as the penultimate game of the season doesn’t make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

If you want to believe that the the facts and figures are objectively used in a fair manner, you are entitled to hold that point of view.
    But what you seemed to have glossed over is the connection I made between the personal attacks.

Is calling someone a 'a disingenuous, odious, nasty, little man' factually accurate for example?
    Or is it just a subjective attack designed to get as much attention as possible?
    And then this certain individual can then claim Dublin supporters cannot conduct a civil debate.....

This in turn makes others question so called 'facts' in light of these other statements - as there is a clear problem with objectivity.

The points you made are valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

rebs23 wrote: »

This is arguably my biggest pet hate in the GAA. If it’s a free, it’s a free. It’s not the referees fault if he gives 40 or 50 frees in a game yet he is criticised for it because he isn’t “letting the game flow”.
    I’m not entirely sure what your dig at Kilkenny is though? People seem to have the perception that Kilkenny go around with the intention of taking the heads of each other when in reality the just want to hurl.
    Ironically and in keeping with the topic of this thread, Kilkenny have been screwed by referees for the last number of years at all levels yet when it’s raised the usual mantra of “sure you’ve been getting away with it for years” or “I thought they didn’t give frees in Kilkenny”.
    I’d have no issue with Kilkenny being penalised 50 times in a game IF there was 50 fouls and the referee wad consistent on both sides.

If you want to believe that the the facts and figures are objectively used in a fair manner, you are entitled to hold that point of view.

He doesnt state those things in the articles you are dismissing though, so that cannot be used to dismiss them. These articles are in fact containing accurate facts and figures and ask genuinely interesting questions - many of which people on the other side of the debate struggle to answer. If it was down to an agenda or a vendetta, this would simply not be the case. If a guy makes a mistake of twitter (later deleted) that shouldnt mean that everything he ever says should be, or can be, dismissed completely thereafter. If that is the road you want to go down then jim gavin himself is guilty of making little of diarmuid connolly putting his hands on an official, so should never be taken seriously again...
    The reality is you referenced articles the man had written and classed them on a par with the stuff levelled at kevin mcstay. The point stands that some of those mckenna articles stand up to scrutiny while the mcstay thing was derided - mainly by the national media in fact.

To my mind you are the one who seems to have the agenda here and are trying to shoehorn the mckenna articles in along with daft stuff in an attempt to discredit them. If you want to discredit them, take on the points the guy made and disprove them. Take on the figures and disprove them. Take on the conclusions and counter them.
    I think the real truth is, you cant because the points are well made and well sourced. So instead you talk about tweets the man made on a personal account that have absolutely no relevance to the articles at all.

My own take on it would be, I have little interest in his thoughts on the personality of jim gavin, but regardless of that, some of his articles on the dublin situation have been very well researched, very thorough and very hard to argue with - so much so that all guys can come back with are totally irrelevant tweets he momentarily had on his personal twitter page...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I’d like to know what impact this ‘agenda setting has’ on anything......it’s just journalists/pundits/self appointed experts ‘getting off’ on filling column inches in an effort to sell papers in order to boost readership no’s to get a bigger slice of the advertising revenues on offer.......same for the tv pundits.......throw out the odd controversial comment more viewers may tune in and hence improved revenue stream from advertisers......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If any of the 10 have access to a ticket or indeed yourself would you kindly pass it this way as i would dearly love to go.

P.S. face value of course....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

washman3 wrote: »
    If any of the 10 have access to a ticket or indeed yourself would you kindly pass it this way as i would dearly love to go.

P.S. face value of course....;)

Touts will have a pile of tickets as usual...’dark web’ is also place to get them

My own take on it would be, I have little interest in his thoughts on the personality of jim gavin, but regardless of that, some of his articles on the dublin situation have been very well researched, very thorough and very hard to argue with - so much so that all guys can come back with are totally irrelevant tweets he momentarily had on his personal twitter page...

That my friend is cognitive dissonance.
    You cannot have it both ways.
    It is indisputable that those type of tweets are inductive of an agenda and bias towards the subject matter, which ends up being spiteful and vitriolic in tone.
    Surely they cannot be conveniently brushed under the carpet? This is the same person you claim writes well researched articles.
    It is like saying Joseph Gobbels wrote well researched articles on the 'Jewish Problem'.
    Goebbels was a master of 'priming' 'framing' and 'agenda setting' before the terms were even invented.

McKenna speaks of the 'Dublin Problem' - for example -

Ewan MacKenna: Gaelic football is dying - and if the Dublin problem isn't tackled, it will soon be in the ground.

Even looking at the tone of the language this is hyperbolic in the extreme.

I wonder do you even realise, there might even be small possibility that you are being manipulated by a person with an agenda and/or vendetta?
    Or are you happy to take such statements at face value, and leave them unquestioned and unchallenged?

rebs23 wrote: »
    Kerry and the pure football,
    Last Stop wrote: »
    This is arguably my biggest pet hate in the GAA. If it’s a free, it’s a free. It’s not the referees fault if he gives 40 or 50 frees in a game yet he is criticised for it because he isn’t “letting the game flow”.
    I’m not entirely sure what your dig at Kilkenny is though? People seem to have the perception that Kilkenny go around with the intention of taking the heads of each other when in reality the just want to hurl.
    Ironically and in keeping with the topic of this thread, Kilkenny have been screwed by referees for the last number of years at all levels yet when it’s raised the usual mantra of “sure you’ve been getting away with it for years” or “I thought they didn’t give frees in Kilkenny”.
    I’d have no issue with Kilkenny being penalised 50 times in a game IF there was 50 fouls and the referee wad consistent on both sides.

I think these are the comments by Cody back in 2014 that rebs23 may have been referring to?

https://www.the42.ie/brian-cody-kilkenny-red-yellow-cards-1309616-Feb2014/

Cody and Eddie Keher wanted Red and Yellow cards banned in hurling.

There was an empahise on manliness and letting the game flow.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/eddie-keher-s-ideas-have-kick-started-a-debate-on-the-future-of-the-game-1.1687946

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/kilkenny-v-tipp-was-good-manly-stuff-38921

• Advertisement

That my friend is cognitive dissonance.
    You cannot have it both ways.
    It is indisputable that those type of tweets are inductive of an agenda and bias towards the subject matter, which ends up being spiteful and vitriolic in tone.
    Surely they cannot be conveniently brushed under the carpet? This is the same person you claim writes well researched articles.
    It is like saying Joseph Gobbels wrote well researched articles on the 'Jewish Problem'.
    Goebbels was a master of 'priming' 'framing' and 'agenda setting' before the terms were even invented.

McKenna speaks of the 'Dublin Problem' - for example -

Ewan MacKenna: Gaelic football is dying - and if the Dublin problem isn't tackled, it will soon be in the ground.

Even looking at the tone of the language this is hyperbolic in the extreme.

I wonder do you even realise, there might even be small possibility that you are being manipulated by a person with an agenda and/or vendetta?
    Or are you happy to take such statements at face value, and leave them unquestioned and unchallenged?

Im not trying to have it both ways and I dont see how you could come to that conclusion. I have stated that the articles stand up to all attempts to scrutinise them. The points are factual and well made. What he has tweeted doesnt change any detail of the articles so it doesnt take anything away from them.
    You can ramble away all you like, it will not change the above.

If you want to take on mckennas articles, then you need to start talking about the actual content of the articles, rather than talking about the man himself.

Advertisement