Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’ve always loved that track. Love the way it builds up to the piano riff.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Hi,

I am looking for people to cast their mind back 25 years, (Great scott…… is it really 25 years ago!!!)

I am trying to figure out if my memory is off kilter on this one.

For anyone that frequented the Asylum, my memory of the dance floors downstairs is you walked down the stairs after paying in,

Drinks bar to your right and a dancefloor ahead of you,
    Archways also to your right that brought you into the main dancefloor where the DJ enclosure was at the front of dancefloor (Or back of the building from the street entrance)

Now if we go back to the first dancefloor that you encounter after walking down the stairs, on the wall facing you as you are looking at the dancefloor was a big orange fluorescent buddha painted, massive speaker set up to your left……

Now this is the part my memory I think is feeding me false information, my recollection was there was a step down onto a square dancefloor that went around this section, from where the bar was and running along the left hand wall and the wall where the Buddha was, the dancefloor that you stepped down onto was at the same level as the dancefloor through the arches.

But, from my own video of the reunion that was held there in 2008, the floors are completely flat from the bottom of the stairs right through to where the DJ enclosure was.

Am I remembering incorrectly? It seems or appears that I am but I have this memory that there was a step around three sides of the first dancefloor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hi,

I am looking for people to cast their mind back 25 years, (Great scott…… is it really 25 years ago!!!)

I am trying to figure out if my memory is off kilter on this one.

For anyone that frequented the Asylum, my memory of the dance floors downstairs is you walked down the stairs after paying in,

Drinks bar to your right and a dancefloor ahead of you,
    Archways also to your right that brought you into the main dancefloor where the DJ enclosure was at the front of dancefloor (Or back of the building from the street entrance)

Now if we go back to the first dancefloor that you encounter after walking down the stairs, on the wall facing you as you are looking at the dancefloor was a big orange fluorescent buddha painted, massive speaker set up to your left……

Now this is the part my memory I think is feeding me false information, my recollection was there was a step down onto a square dancefloor that went around this section, from where the bar was and running along the left hand wall and the wall where the Buddha was, the dancefloor that you stepped down onto was at the same level as the dancefloor through the arches.

But, from my own video of the reunion that was held there in 2008, the floors are completely flat from the bottom of the stairs right through to where the DJ enclosure was.

Am I remembering incorrectly? It seems or appears that I am but I have this memory that there was a step around three sides of the first dancefloor?

There was definitely a step down on to the main dance floor. That one to the left at the bottom of the stairs was higher and you could easily reach the ceiling there. Unless the pills have really done a number on my memory.

stephen_n wrote: »
    There was definitely a step down on to the main dance floor. That one to the left at the bottom of the stairs was higher and you could easily reach the ceiling there. Unless the pills have really done a number on my memory.

Glad you recall it to, i remember being able to see across the heads of people that were on the dancefloor there if i was standing with my back to the bar, and where the speakers were to your left i think was raised even higher, Higher like Two foot of a ledge that the speakers were standing on and room for people all down the left hand wall to stand up on it.

Do you also remember the Fluorescent orange Buddha on the far wall yes?

I am trying to recall the exact layout of the place,

> Enter from sackville place, door on left of front of building was where you paid officially.
    > Stairs down had a right hand turn at the top which then led to basement.
    > If you didnt pay in on the door, paid the bouncers instead, shutter to the right of the front of building were pulled up which led you straight into second floor.
    > Downstairs, Drinks bar to your right, Dancefloor straight ahead, Archways to your right leading to another dancefloor playing same music. (And when i think about it now, it must be the basement off the building next door that was the main dancefloor as the first dancefloor you encountered was probably the width of the front of the building)
    > Through archways to your right (4 of them), Look left and DJ enclosure at front of dancefloor, exit door to left of DJ enclosure, look right and corridor that led to toilets in the far corner.
    > Down the toilets corridor, first door on your right was Ladies toilets (That a joke, it was a free for all everywhere in the place), Continue down corridor then a right hand turn, then a left and the mens toilets were there, urinal along the wall and two cubicles with one sink (Water regularly turned off so you had to buy from the bar.)
    > Back to main dancefloor, door to the left of DJ enclosure at front of dancefloor led you out to corridor that went straight ahead, and stair case to your left, end of straight corridor brought you to coat room.
    > Staircase brought you up, turned 180' and up again, then a right hand turn into 'Skag room', benches along all the exterior walls of the room with all the 'Ballier' heads sitting just to your left as you entered.
    > At the far end of this room i am a little hazy, was there also access to the stairs that brought you back to dancefloors downstairs? I recall there was a handrail with short walk to where the shutter out onto sackville place was there, and seem to remember stairs that went back downstairs, but cant piece together this stairs and the stairs where you paid, they must have been the same stairs?
    > Back out the door you came in, another set of stairs brought you the third floor with different music playing than downstairs.
    > As you enter third floor, DJ Box (Literally a shabbily constructed enclosure made from 8 x 4 sheets) straight ahead of you, floor made from seriously heavy wooden timbers, bare brick wall to your right with another ledge running along this wall about 2 foot high x 3 foot deep you can sit on or stand on.
    > Walk to back of this dancefloor, one or two (Cant clearly recall) small room the size of a box room bedroom in a house to your right in a small corridor with normal doors on them and normal light switch inside the rooms, stairs at the very back where arched windows were that led back downstairs (However, this was immediately known to you to be off limits as it was usually occupied by some rough looking heads that probably ran the place), this was off limits and i dont know where this stairs actually came out in the building, it was located directly over the entrance at the front, but cant figure out where this came out in the building.

Does this sound about right to anyone else? And if you can Piece together the few things I am not sure about I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Here's a Trade / Hard House classic mix I did the other day, one or two little classic rare gems in there

https://www51.zippyshare.com/v/AZS7OTUz/file.html

Tracklist :

1. Version Two - Skychilds Toccata (A Depper Cut Mix)
    2. Tony De vit - Give Me A Reason (Club mix)
    3. Rim Shot - Everybody on the Floor (Saint Mix)
    4. Eteine Piccard - Get Up! (Don Esteban mix)
    5. Artemesia - Bits & Pieces (D-Bop 97 mix)
    6. Armanand Van Helden - Witch Doktor (Greenfields Mega Blast Mix)
    7. Da Bomb - The Original
    8. Destiny Angel - Deviate
    9. Bulletproof - Mistakes
    10. DJ Glenn Mill - Hypnotizin (Trade)
    11. BK - God, The Devil
    12. Brain Bashers - Do It All Night (Nightmoves) (Space Mix
    13. Allnighters - black is Black (Choci's Acid Trade Mix)
    14. Three Puckater - Imperfect Being
    15. X - Shut Up (Baby Doc Mix)

• Advertisement

Good interview there Pressure by Darren Rice. Hard to picture Rob as Goth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEqvtGIgEo

Sounds like he came on pretty late to the Dublin Dance scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Glad you recall it to, i remember being able to see across the heads of people that were on the dancefloor there if i was standing with my back to the bar, and where the speakers were to your left i think was raised even higher, Higher like Two foot of a ledge that the speakers were standing on and room for people all down the left hand wall to stand up on it.

Do you also remember the Fluorescent orange Buddha on the far wall yes?

I am trying to recall the exact layout of the place,

> Enter from sackville place, door on left of front of building was where you paid officially.
    > Stairs down had a right hand turn at the top which then led to basement.
    > If you didnt pay in on the door, paid the bouncers instead, shutter to the right of the front of building were pulled up which led you straight into second floor.
    > Downstairs, Drinks bar to your right, Dancefloor straight ahead, Archways to your right leading to another dancefloor playing same music. (And when i think about it now, it must be the basement off the building next door that was the main dancefloor as the first dancefloor you encountered was probably the width of the front of the building)
    > Through archways to your right (4 of them), Look left and DJ enclosure at front of dancefloor, exit door to left of DJ enclosure, look right and corridor that led to toilets in the far corner.
    > Down the toilets corridor, first door on your right was Ladies toilets (That a joke, it was a free for all everywhere in the place), Continue down corridor then a right hand turn, then a left and the mens toilets were there, urinal along the wall and two cubicles with one sink (Water regularly turned off so you had to buy from the bar.)
    > Back to main dancefloor, door to the left of DJ enclosure at front of dancefloor led you out to corridor that went straight ahead, and stair case to your left, end of straight corridor brought you to coat room.
    > Staircase brought you up, turned 180' and up again, then a right hand turn into 'Skag room', benches along all the exterior walls of the room with all the 'Ballier' heads sitting just to your left as you entered.
    > At the far end of this room i am a little hazy, was there also access to the stairs that brought you back to dancefloors downstairs? I recall there was a handrail with short walk to where the shutter out onto sackville place was there, and seem to remember stairs that went back downstairs, but cant piece together this stairs and the stairs where you paid, they must have been the same stairs?
    > Back out the door you came in, another set of stairs brought you the third floor with different music playing than downstairs.
    > As you enter third floor, DJ Box (Literally a shabbily constructed enclosure made from 8 x 4 sheets) straight ahead of you, floor made from seriously heavy wooden timbers, bare brick wall to your right with another ledge running along this wall about 2 foot high x 3 foot deep you can sit on or stand on.
    > Walk to back of this dancefloor, one or two (Cant clearly recall) small room the size of a box room bedroom in a house to your right in a small corridor with normal doors on them and normal light switch inside the rooms, stairs at the very back where arched windows were that led back downstairs (However, this was immediately known to you to be off limits as it was usually occupied by some rough looking heads that probably ran the place), this was off limits and i dont know where this stairs actually came out in the building, it was located directly over the entrance at the front, but cant figure out where this came out in the building.

Does this sound about right to anyone else? And if you can Piece together the few things I am not sure about I would appreciate it.
    Sounds about right to me, but at this stage I think bits of a few clubs have fused together in my memories. But I’m pretty sure that was the layout. Never really went up to the third floor though, so not entirely sure there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

ONE OF, IF NOT THE OLD SKOOL EVENT OF THE YEAR, 70% OF ONLINE TICKETS SOLD SO FAR.

Ultra-Sonic will perform the exact same set they played in the Ormond in December 1995 and Liquid are buzzing to play in Dublin.

Event page with ticket details below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2790958287795960/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭radonicus

Probably a long shot but I'm trying to get hold of a copy of Fintan McDonald's mix of 'This Is In' by Mad Sound Disease. It was on the flip side of the classic Dollard/ McDonald Moonboom remix. Anyone with a copy fancy uploading it? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

• Advertisement

Bumped into this yesterday. Nice memories ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A great line up here of old school jocks, in aid of Scott MacNaughton's son

https://www.hotpress.com/music/academy-host-big-night-memory-late-dj-scott-macnaughton-22793178

Couldn't decide what version to post so decided to post both. This is one of those tracks that's very well known yet for some reason i haven't heard in years. Anyway, came across this while stuck in traffic yesterday. Love it. The track that is not the traffic lol

Or

An Asylum classic! Fantastic progressive trance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

ALL HAPPENING NEXT MONTH, TECHNO LEGEND BILLY NASTY RETURNS AFTER A LONG TIME TO DUBLIN.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2675789375819879/

20_jp0a8nj-imgur.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

jonnny68 wrote: »
    ALL HAPPENING NEXT MONTH, TECHNO LEGEND BILLY NASTY RETURNS AFTER A LONG TIME TO DUBLIN.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2675789375819879/

20_jp0a8nj-imgur.jpg[/URL]
    Is this gonna be techno all night long?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Is this gonna be techno all night long?

some progressive as well no doubt but strictly all 100% Old Skool.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

duploelabs wrote: »
    A great line up here of old school jocks, in aid of Scott MacNaughton's son

https://www.hotpress.com/music/academy-host-big-night-memory-late-dj-scott-macnaughton-22793178

Damn so sorry to hear about this just now. Scott introduced me to so much music, I used to always listen to his show on power FM . RIP Scott thanks for all the tunes x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

trying here as well as the tune id thread.
    would anyone be able to id this track for me?
    https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/UsVlBMCb/file.html
    thanks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

trying here as well as the tune id thread.
    would anyone be able to id this track for me?
    https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/UsVlBMCb/file.html
    thanks.

Not sure, the second half sounds to me like a track i have heard before, and i think it was on this mix, the first volume of this, hit the decks,

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Mix-Collection-Hit-The-Decks-Vol-1-3/release/316454

Not sure, the second half sounds to me like a track i have heard before, and i think it was on this mix, the first volume of this, hit the decks,

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Mix-Collection-Hit-The-Decks-Vol-1-3/release/316454

there is a similar track on there alright but it doesn't seem to be the specific track i posted.
    thanks anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Zippy Share is like walking across a minefield. Click the wrong link, boom!

JDxtra wrote: »
    Zippy Share is like walking across a minefield. Click the wrong link, boom!

agreed to be fair, have always found it the quickest and easiest to upload the odd clip to though.
    but perhapse something like dropbox might be better going forward.

there is a similar track on there alright but it doesn't seem to be the specific track i posted.
    thanks anyway though.

No its none of the tracks on it, but i thought i heard the melody for sure in one of those other tunes.

I was thinking, if you can find another track that has that melody, maybe that track took from your one or vice versa and give you something to go on.

I will see if i can figure it out, i am sure that main melody is used in another well know old skool track.
    agreed to be fair, have always found it the quickest and easiest to upload the odd clip to though.
    but perhapse something like dropbox might be better going forward.

There is another site that isn't laden with land mines you can use,

https://clyp.it/

Maysa07 wrote: »

When i hear that track, for some reason it always makes me think of this one also, like they go hand in hand,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

Maysa07 wrote: »

Used to cane that in the UFO

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    Used to cane that in the UFO

One of the best places in the city ever, thanks for the memories Francois.

But i do have to say, i only found the place when the Asylum had closed and i think the death of the place was partly due to an influx of knacks and gangs that frequented the Asylum.

Advertisement