Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting by kick scooter?

• 16-07-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Anyone do it in Dublin / other cities?
    I just picked up a second hand one...scooting commute starts tomorrow..it is only a 2.5k commute though :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

You'd walk it in a half hour.

is it worth the hassle and danger of falling off?

It wouldn't be for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is danger a big factor on a kick scooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Maybe danger was too strong a word.

However, if you're scooting on the footpath, you're going a lot quicker than everyone else.

If you're scooting on the road, you're going a lot slower.

The bigger the difference in speed to those around you, the bigger the chance of something going wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You will look like a graphic designer. Is this a step too far for you? :pac:

See plenty of people doing it around the IFSC/North Docks - inner and crossing roads are relatively traffic free bar Guild Street and generally wide footpaths too. Electric scooters are common enough too but I work with someone who was stopped and told not to use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Tried it today...awful..too much pushing not enough gliding.. pool of sweat by time I got to work..
    Back to walking tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big are the wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Zipppy wrote:
    Tried it today...awful..too much pushing not enough gliding.. pool of sweat by time I got to work.. Back to walking tomorrow

Thank God. If you came anywhere near me on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

Im thinking of getting a push scooter to get around the city centre.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or observed any garda incidents or crashes. i dont want to get one and get arrested on first day for going on a push scooter on a path. Or will it be frowned upon.

Im hoping if i take a common sense approach and go slow or stop if the path is busy with pedestrians i wont have hassle. i dont plan on racing it, just looking to cut walking time by half by going at a normal speed.

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sdraobs wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or observed any garda incidents or crashes. i dont want to get one and get arrested on first day for going on a push scooter on a path. Or will it be frowned upon.

Im hoping if i take a common sense approach and go slow or stop if the path is busy with pedestrians i wont have hassle. i dont plan on racing it, just looking to cut walking time by half by going at a normal speed.

tks

If getting one get the biggest wheels you can. The danger with these, and the electric ones, if that the wheels are so small they don't go over bumps or debris they lock up and while on the footpath, where they are illegal, it's a dodgy fall on the road you will be travelling in traffic when you fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

Del2005 wrote: »
    If getting one get the biggest wheels you can. The danger with these, and the electric ones, if that the wheels are so small they don't go over bumps or debris they lock up and while on the footpath, where they are illegal, it's a dodgy fall on the road you will be travelling in traffic when you fall.

Is this enforced much for kick scooters. Not sure why it is illegal. i expect cycling a bike on the footpath is illegal. But a push wheelchair (as opposed to a mobility scooter) are on footpaths. never heard of them being pushed onto the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

tks
    Would second the bigger wheels. I was walking over the East Link bridge and someone on an electric scooter that still looked the same size as a push scooter. They were on the road and the scooter went over a bit of dodgy road and she completely lost all traction, the wheels locked up and she was very close to falling inwards to traffic. It was a rather scary moment to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is this enforced much for kick scooters. Not sure why it is illegal. i expect cycling a bike on the footpath is illegal. But a push wheelchair (as opposed to a mobility scooter) are on footpaths. never heard of them being pushed onto the road.

Footpaths are for pedestrians and mobility impaired people. The road is for everyone else.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Footpaths are for pedestrians and mobility impaired people. .

You forgot cyclists and taxis......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've skated a longboard for part of my commute and I got my wife a good scooter with pneumatic tyres. It's foldable for the DART and bus. I pick up the board and walk if it's too congested and likewise you can just walk the scooter if there's too much pedestrian traffic. @Zipppy it is tiring and it's exercise that you've never done before, you're using muscles that you don't normally use and you'll build up fitness over two weeks.

It's a perfectly safe, healthy and legal way to travel. Cars have killed a lot more pedestrians on footpaths than scooters or boards ever will.

Advertisement