Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stadia Founder's Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I enjoyed scrolling through that page, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pre ordered. Just a sucker for new tech.

I wanted a Chrome cast ultra anyway and that is €80 so it's €50 for a new controller and a few months trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'll have to think about it. But I do have a Mr.Spock raised eyebrow about it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My internet is off mobile broadband, and it typically just fluctuates around the 2-3mb range... when it's "good" to 10-15mb. Doubt I could benefit off this.

Yeah I wouldn't go near it unless you have a solid 20mbps. Min 35 for 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Wombatman wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of signing up?

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_founders_edition

I'm good for the speed test and it sounds like a good value package.

I was expecting a low mark on the speed test as I usually get a low on any other speed test I tried. 244.94 Mbps i got on Googles test. As it should be. I'm on a Virgin 250mbs package.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, having recently upgraded to 150Mbps on a 1Gb line, I can handle this now, but I'm unsure about it. I've read through that page, and I'm not sure, is it like EA Access? Pay €10 a month for access to a library? I saw something about discounts for paid members, so I'm not sure is it a free library or discounted games after the initial free period for being a founder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

This is something I personally wouldn't touch for a few months at the very least. Input lag can be crippling when playing a streamed game, PS Now is a perfect example of that. Even with a solid 40MB connection it simply can't match playing a game off the disc or local install.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone know if you pre-order it, when the money actually comes out of your account? :)

I assume it's at dispatch?

I'm skint now, but I think I can buy it in Nov no problem!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is something I personally wouldn't touch for a few months at the very least. Input lag can be crippling when playing a streamed game, PS Now is a perfect example of that. Even with a solid 40MB connection it simply can't match playing a game off the disc or local install.

You can download any PS4 game to your console using PS Now which eliminates lag. I agree that if you don't have the option to download the game then the lag can be unbearable, which is why I don't have any interest in Stadia until it's properly tested, even though I have 1gb broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I cancelled my pre-order after the Gamescom stream. The whole 'netflix but for games' concept is what initially interested me in Stadia but I realise now that it's not going to be that and they view it as more of a platform to compete with Xbox and PlayStation.

I'm more interested in something like Antstream, and will reassess when Google release more details on their subscribers library.

Kingp35 wrote: »

You can download any PS4 game to your console using PS Now which eliminates lag. I agree that if you don't have the option to download the game then the lag can be unbearable, which is why I don't have any interest in Stadia until it's properly tested, even though I have 1gb broadband.

Yeah buts it only some games, the PS3 titles can only be streamed - even with 40mb I was finding in worst cases that a push to the left or right on controller was taking 1-2 seconds to register in game. If Stadia is anything like that then anything requiring fast response such as racing or FPS games is gonna be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I cancelled my pre-order after the Gamescom stream. The whole 'netflix but for games' concept is what initially interested me in Stadia but I realise now that it's not going to be that and they view it as more of a platform to compete with Xbox and PlayStation.

I'm more interested in something like Antstream, and will reassess when Google release more details on their subscribers library.

I'd be of the same view.
    Even Nvidia Shield carries quite a good range of free stuff and also allows Blizzard and Steam gaming.

There's nothing so far that would make me want to ditch that for Stadia as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah if it was €9.99 including games it would be great but I don't think it is. You have to buy the games separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah if it was €9.99 including games it would be great but I don't think it is. You have to buy the games separately?

Yeah, the pricing is off

Stadia is free - the Stadia Pro €9.99 is for 4k and Surround Sound capability. There'll be monthly games included but it's unclear how many that actually means, you still have to buy other games separately and at rumoured full price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭ffocused

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone know if you pre-order it, when the money actually comes out of your account? :)

I assume it's at dispatch?

I'm skint now, but I think I can buy it in Nov no problem!

They will not charge until November.
    I pre-ordered it in June and they have not taken payment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There's something about this that seems doomed before it ever gets started. The messaging has been awful, and they don't seem to be able to give concrete answers to genuine concerns.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My understanding is that you can buy new games on it if you want and there's a curated netflix style catalog that you can access for a tenner a month?

ffocused wrote: »
    They will not charge until November.
    I pre-ordered it in June and they have not taken payment yet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can buy new games on it if you want and there's a curated netflix style catalog that you can access for a tenner a month?

That's the plan, but there's nothing on it from the start, as far as I'm aware, it's just Destiny 2 new thingy when that goes live in Nov.

They may plan on putting 50 games onto the service between then and Xmas, but who knows? You might be stuck with just Destiny 2 for your 3 months! The marketing is awful to say the least!

Also, new full price games "may" be cheaper on the pro tier, than the free tier, seems to be the messaging also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The main problem I'd have is that if, like other Google products, it isn't 100% successful after 18-24 months, they'll just shut it down and whilst you'll still have a Chromecast and a controller, any games you bought will be gone.

• Advertisement

It's a 4K 60fps console for €129. When the PS5 or Next Xbox comes along you will have to shell out €400+ and you don't even get a free game. That's nearly €300 to spend on Stadia games.

In saying that I will also spend €400+ on the PS5 and Next Xbox :D

What's that a more powerful Switch? Sign me up :pac:

It's a 4K 60fps console for €129. When the PS5 or Next Xbox comes along you will have to shell out €400+ and you don't even get a free game. That's nearly €300 to spend on Stadia games.

PS5 and Xbox will still be playable when the internet connection goes down - how’s that gonna work out for Stadia? :D

PS5 and Xbox will still be playable when the internet connection goes down - how’s that gonna work out for Stadia? :D

I have a bag of the internet in the attic for such occasions. :pac:

But I have fiber to the home and haven't had an outage in the 2.5 years since I got it. Prob go home now to an outage after saying that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The 129 is for a controller and a chromecast, you dont need to pay that to use the service at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gonna let you guys test it out, wouldnt mind the Cast Ultra tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No real interest in it, benchmarking is working out that it will be fairly laggy. I think average ping of around 130 which will be a pain in the ass.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The 129 is for a controller and a chromecast, you dont need to pay that to use the service at all.

You do if you want to play it in November this year.
    The free version for everyone doesn't launch until February 2020.
    Calhoun wrote: »
    No real interest in it, benchmarking is working out that it will be fairly laggy. I think average ping of around 130 which will be a pain in the ass.

There is no way a ping from anywhere on this island to a Google node in Galway or Dublin will take that long. A ping to the google cloud centre in London is 50ms from me in Limerick. No data from Stadia will be coming from outside the island or over standard HTTP. It'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

marcbrophy wrote: »
    You do if you want to play it in November this year.
    The free version for everyone doesn't launch until February 2020.

There is no way a ping from anywhere on this island to a Google node in Galway or Dublin will take that long. A ping to the google cloud centre in London is 50ms from me in Limerick. No data from Stadia will be coming from outside the island or over standard HTTP. It'll be fine :D

I haven't worked it out I am just going from reports online from people who either observed the feed which also aligned with some early benchmarking.

They aren't really attempting to counter any of the negativity from existing gamers so I suspect they just hope to attract in newer gamers who don't know if it's good or bad.

Would not be an early adopter of this unless it got some rave reviews. Even at that with the content control happening on their other platforms if be hesitant for them to becomes controlling interest in the gaming marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I think the 130ms is related to input and some sites are combining it with network.

The thoughts of playing Destiny 2 PVP vs Stadia lads makes me think I could finally get those exotics :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For something like Destiny, it's going to need some kind of cross play because I reckon the initial take-up could leave people with very few players to play with - especially with a staggered release.

Advertisement