Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heliotherm installers

• 21-08-2019 12:15pm

Can anyone recommend me installers of heliotherm Heat pumps ?

I’m interested in the ground water pump, super efficient but can’t get anyone I called so far to be bothered to call out or call me back, obviously too busy....

Will be a retrofit heating lots of rads , rads are large and 2 x double rads in kitchen dining area , conservatory, sitting room , master bedroom and upstairs attic.

Insulation , walls Pumped and average in attic could be better but it is what it is. Can always do better later the heating is priority and in need of replacement badly so that is priority.

Plan eventually is to install solar pv to help offset the running costs of the heating + running the house charging the car etc.

What is the grant worth , that’s if I qualify ?

I just need people who will bother to call me back or call out to give quote etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Can anyone recommend me installers of heliotherm Heat pumps ?

Did you try Ashgrove Renewables? Not sure if they do that specific brand but they might.
    https://www.ashgrove.ie

I’m interested in the ground water pump, super efficient...

Will be a retrofit heating lots of rads , rads are large and 2 x double rads in kitchen dining area , conservatory, sitting room , master bedroom and upstairs attic.

You realise that you will lose a large chunk of that efficiency by using steel rads as your heat distribution and probably reduced life span on your compressor as the HP will be cycling on/off alot more and that will lead to premature wear.

Is installing underfloor heating out of the question?
    If it is, consider replacing the rads with oversized aluminium rads and have a large buffer tank to reduce cycling.

KCross wrote: »
    Did you try Ashgrove Renewables? Not sure if they do that specific brand but they might.
    https://www.ashgrove.ie

No didn't try them, their site doesn't mention Heliotherm at all.

KCross wrote: »
    You realise that you will lose a large chunk of that efficiency by using steel rads as your heat distribution and probably reduced life span on your compressor as the HP will be cycling on/off alot more and that will lead to premature wear.

Is installing underfloor heating out of the question?
    If it is, consider replacing the rads with oversized aluminium rads and have a large buffer tank to reduce cycling.

Yes I know it's not going to be as efficient as underfloor , I did call a company in Galway and the jist is that the pump will be sized to ensure it's not cutting in and out all the time but on more than off, if I remember correctly.

All the rads will be changed. Underfloor isn't possible.

If I can offset some energy with Solar PV and have night rate electricity and can keep the cost below oil I might be happy although the cost of the HP is significant, a future FIT will hopefully become available making solar PV a lot more attractive.

It's a long term investment for sure , spending around 1000-1400 a year on oil. + electricity , solar PV can meet part of that in the future.

Yes not as good as new A rated build but I fear the cost of oil in a few years time.

The Boiler is fine so in reality all I need to do is change the rads and have some form of electronic control, definitely a lot cheaper.

If the SAEI do not approve the grant that will make it more expensive, something else to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

Did you get the Heliotherm installer in the end sorry for posting in a old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

Did you get anyone in the end for the heliotherm?

Looking for someone to service ours and crowd that installed it are useless at responding to emails, they clearly don’t want to service it anymore but simply won’t tell me that straight out!

No I abandoned that idea, older 80's bungalow and all that not the best insulated but I was interested in the COP of the one that could use the well water but can't imagine the cost and it still will probably use a lot of electricity and it's certainly not cheap now.

In the end we went with Klover Style 220 Pellet stove, got it installed around 1.5 months ago now, very happy with it, the extra controls over the Effel Oil stove make it quite convenient to use with the app too.

The difference with a Pellet stove is that I have to go get bags of pellets and it's a lot more manual work especially compared to oil, cleaning and all that but it doesn't bother me, I'm not one that cares about a bit of extra work. I wouldn't recommend it for elderly People, no insult intended but it is a lot of lifting 15 Kg bags then lifting into the stove and having to go and get the bags, lift them out of the car, put in shed, bring from shed to house etc. I store around a week of pellets in the conservatory.

You can get silo and pump 3 tonnes of pellets in that would be more convenient and cheaper buying such bulk but in reality I don't mind getting bads of pellets every 2 weeks. There's surprisingly little ash, way less than I expected, probably indicates that it's quite efficient.

The Kitchen/Dining area is as warm as it would be with the Effel if I want it to be but usually don't have it that warm, the difference is that the Pellet stove is now plumbed into the rads.

1-2 bags of pellets per day if using it around as much as Oil, 3-4 hrs morning and roughly same afternoon/evening. Around 8 Euro's per bag. 2 bags would be on the high side of our usual usage. We're able to heat the attic room now too included in that, previously unable due to gravity fed system and the height of the upstairs rads vs the tank. We replaced most of the old rads too.

Kept the oil as it was already installed and will do as a backup, we will have to relocate the Tank it when it's empty because the previous owners decided to put the tank on blocks on the bank of a stream and it's leaning towards the stream so it will have to be relocated.

We usually use between 2 - 2.5 tanks of Oil a year. So if burning through 1 - 1.5 bags of pellets a day that would be 12 Euro's a day, 7 days a week over what ? 8 months, October to May costing around 2600 Euro's or roughly the same as Oil and I can live with that, pellets have increased in price due to the cost of electricity rising because of the Gas but we got a lot of wind on the grid but the wind energy is linked to the cost of Gas, this is a pure scam, won't go more into that here.

Anyway, very happy with the pellet stove so far, I can only imagine how little pellets would be used in a space heating stove not heating rads and some of these can be ducted to heat 2 or maybe 3 other rooms.

I might get an insert pellet stove for the sitting room eventually for the evenings we don't need to heat the whole house and look at getting a Silo.

It's nice not using imported Oil to heat the house and all the pellets come from locally produced pellets from local timber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

Hi

Have you still the pellet stove and are you still happy with it ?

Any issues at all ?

Is there a reason you went with the 220 over the 180 or was it recommended?

I have a 2200 sq ft bungalow and want to get rid of my solid few stove for a pellet stove I have around 15 rads

Advertisement