Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Jubilee teams

Options
  • 20-08-2019 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Why don't Rte do a show on them? Interviews from now . Film the meal etc. It would cost little and I know a lot that would have interest in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

They used to show it but havent done so in recent years. I would like to have seen it aswell but instead we had to listen to Donal Og talking about puck out strategies. I think there is too much analysis these days and a large portion of the viewers are more interested in watching the occasion than death by analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Next year will be the Clare 95 jubilee, mad to think it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

And Poor aul Davy Fitz will miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Yeah I think hurling punditry has regressed somewhat in recent times. For a start there is to many pundits, have your core amount

This hasn't been helped by silly advertising ads and over analysis of games

I miss the minor games on RTE well, was unique listening to it in Irish on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

bruschi wrote: »

And Poor aul Davy Fitz will miss it!

How will he miss it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

thesultan wrote: »
    How will he miss it?

He fell out with them all
    Him and Lohan be some crack side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

C__MC wrote: »

Worth the admission fee alone.

Davy will be there. He won't back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Why don't Rte do a show on them? Interviews from now . Film the meal etc. It would cost little and I know a lot that would have interest in it.

Great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Film the meal? Not sure watching a bunch of people eating would be gripping TV but there is some merit in a short programme on such teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nope, don't believe that, that was only a few years back, those jubilee teams are for auld fellas.

Ah **** it I'm old

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Pat Fitz will be in charge of organising it, it's more likely to have Davey on his own rather than him missing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yeah I think hurling punditry has regressed somewhat in recent times. For a start there is to many pundits, have your core amount

Minor games get good coverage on TG4, and should be kept there IMHO. TG4 give great coverage all year of Gaelic Games, so it would be unfair to strip them of the finals.

The jubilee teams is a half arsed effort in recent years. They used to be brought on at half time IIRC, or at least shortly before the throw in. For example, I was at the Connacht final this year, and Leitrim footballers were the jubilee team. Now they had a great weekend together from what I heard, but they were presented to a half empty stadium about 45 minutes before the senior game.
    Either give the lads a bit of proper exposure or call the fvcking thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

The great Down team from 1994, Greg Blaney, Mickey Linden, James McCartan etc was introduced at half time during the Ulster final this year.
    I assume they'll be in Croke park next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

They used to show it but havent done so in recent years. I would like to have seen it aswell but instead we had to listen to Donal Og talking about puck out strategies. I think there is too much analysis these days and a large portion of the viewers are more interested in watching the occasion than death by analysis

Agree. The jubilee teams were always a nice touch and hurling has too many experts.

Hurling is a relatively simple game(a very skillful game at that). Now I understand that it has become more nuanced in recent times but I feel as if the hurling analysts are copying they Gaelic brethren by concentrating too much on systems and strategies.

The All Ireland is as much an occasion as a match and the Jubilee team has been part of that for a while, not analysts waffling on about systems......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

How will he miss it?

He'll be in the dressing room getting the Wexford players all fired up to go out and bate Limerick in the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agree. The jubilee teams were always a nice touch and hurling has too many experts.

Hurling is a relatively simple game(a very skillful game at that). Now I understand that it has become more nuanced in recent times but I feel as if the hurling analysts are copying they Gaelic brethren by concentrating too much on systems and strategies.

The All Ireland is as much an occasion as a match and the Jubilee team has been part of that for a while, not analysts waffling on about systems......

The Jubilee team of 2013 got a great welcome - (Meath '88) when Dublin were playing Mayo in the AI final.
    The Meath lads had great craic with the Dublin fans.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehh TG4 has it still in Irish.
    kala85 wrote: »
    Worth the admission fee alone.

Davy will be there. He won't back down.

Just imagining Davy entering to the Tom Petty song playing would be so apt.

Well, I won't back down
    No, I won't back down
    You can stand me up at the gates of hell Cusack Park
    But I won't back down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Minor games get good coverage on TG4, and should be kept there IMHO. TG4 give great coverage all year of Gaelic Games, so it would be unfair to strip them of the finals.

The jubilee teams is a half arsed effort in recent years. They used to be brought on at half time IIRC, or at least shortly before the throw in. For example, I was at the Connacht final this year, and Leitrim footballers were the jubilee team. Now they had a great weekend together from what I heard, but they were presented to a half empty stadium about 45 minutes before the senior game.
    Either give the lads a bit of proper exposure or call the fvcking thing off.

When do you want them on the pitch? Five minutes before throw in? The players come onto the pitch half an hour before throw in. Then there is their warm up, the parade & the meet & greet with Mickey D that has to take place. They can hardly have the jubilee team on the pitch during all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ProudDUB wrote: »
    When do you want them on the pitch? Five minutes before throw in? The players come onto the pitch half an hour before throw in. Then there is their warm up, the parade & the meet & greet with Mickey D that has to take place. They can hardly have the jubilee team on the pitch during all that.
    Half time, like they used to do, and like he actually said in the post...

Oh right. Sorry. Missed that bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How will they manage the 2036 jubilee?

Cluxton will not have much time to get togged out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

bruschi wrote: »
    He'll be in the dressing room getting the Wexford players all fired up to go out and bate Limerick in the final!

I think you've been eating too many strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Did he fall out with them all?

I read his book and he fell out in a bad way with Brian Lohan and Jamesie O Connor but no mention of a mass falling out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

seligehgit wrote: »
    Jamsie O Connor .

There's a blast from the past. What ever happened to him?

beertons wrote: »
    There's a blast from the past. What ever happened to him?

He's an analyst on the Sky Sports coverage

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh right. Sorry. Missed that bit.

Reading back my response it sounded a bit more hostile than I intended!

No bother. You've had a rough week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why don't Rte do a show on them? Interviews from now. Film the meal etc. It would cost little and I know a lot that would have interest in it.
    Film the meal. Why? How many really give anything more than a cursory glance for their to be a need for that
    Its great to honour them on the day but there isnt any need at all to discuss them much further...
    I dont think people do. Do people really want to see a team from past honoured and the past discussed far more than the current game

How many is too many pundits? Surely as wide a range as possible of pundits is better than too few.
    Think minor on TG4 is better tbh.

Advertisement