Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your No4 Mk.1* a "Faux T"

• 15-08-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Before I jump into it I'm wondering does it affect the value of the rifle much? Would I be ruining a historical piece or making it a bit more desirable?

I'm thinking of buying the cheek piece, sling swivel and the repro base and mounts with a vintage scope.. fair investment all things combined

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For those of us that have no idea about old guns can you explain some of the above. What does it entail, what exactly are you planning on doing and if you have pictures please feel free to share.

Tks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

He wants to take a standard No.4 Lee Enfield .303 and convert it into a sniper version of the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Modifying any firearm is all down to personal taste and if you fancy doing a conversion you should go ahead with it.
    The Enfield you have is not particulary rare, so you are not ruining any special part of a historical artifact.
    There are several sites that do repro " Sniper" parts for Enfields, swivels, cheekriser, mounts and scopes.
    I have seen a few conversions done well, and as you say the conversion parts are not cheap, in total you will spend more on the conversion parts than the Enfield cost you, but as you will be aware still standing a hell of a lot cheaper than a real "T" .
    You wont be increasing its value, but you will have what you want, & if you do decide to move it on...you will be selling it for what it is..a conversion..no harm done.
    Best of luck if u do it...& stick up a few pics, Have a chat on the Irish Lee Enfield FB page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

You may encounter some issues here, as to make a good job of this, you will need to do a lot of work which requires a lot of expertise.

The receiver has to be milled, the mounts sweated, after your receiver being drilled and tapped, I have seen it done with a Lee Enfield N04 Mk1 looked at recently that a guy fitted an S&b 6x42 Green scope to and it didn't look well.

There are a few companies in the UK that do the conversions, maybe get in touch with them. I know a guy who has been successful with his conversions in Ireland

The alternative is to get a no holes mount that screws in without the need to drill and tap and put some tape around your stock, or buy a separate stock and put the piece on it.

But if you want to see a real No4 MK 1T let me know and we can arrange something at the range sometime.

Best of luck with your endeavours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Valmont firearms in the UK are doing a steel scope mounting rail, that is supposed to be very good. No machining the action or anything to fit it. That, an easily available cheekpiece and the proper snipers sling, you would have a very usable rifle. Personally i'd love one of the .45acp delisle carbines that are being reproduced, very expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭badaj0z

This is a very good report on how to do it:-

https://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/EnfieldNo4TConversion.pdf

The chinese are knocking out reasonably accurate copies of the no.32 scope. Not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

This was as far as I got.

Glad I didn't drill and pump money into it thanks to some good advice I got!

There's something about LEs and Iron Sights..

jb88 wrote: »
    You may encounter some issues here, as to make a good job of this, you will need to do a lot of work which requires a lot of expertise.

The receiver has to be milled, the mounts sweated, after your receiver being drilled and tapped, I have seen it done with a Lee Enfield N04 Mk1 looked at recently that a guy fitted an S&b 6x42 Green scope to and it didn't look well.

There are a few companies in the UK that do the conversions, maybe get in touch with them. I know a guy who has been successful with his conversions in Ireland

The alternative is to get a no holes mount that screws in without the need to drill and tap and put some tape around your stock, or buy a separate stock and put the piece on it.

But if you want to see a real No4 MK 1T let me know and we can arrange something at the range sometime.

Best of luck with your endeavours

Thanks very much for that very kind offer jb88!

As you can see from the picture I attached I took a very low budget route!

Realising the amount of work that went into the Ts has made me appreciate them even more!

Think I might start saving!

Young guns of castledawson, always seem to have a lot of the more desirable models of enfield in stock or available.

http://www.young-guns.org.uk/products/enfield-rifles/

• Advertisement

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    Young guns of castledawson, always seem to have a lot of the more desirable models of enfield in stock or available.

http://www.young-guns.org.uk/products/enfield-rifles/

That's actually where I got this one too!! He's a gent

Advertisement