Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkview Stepaside Belarmine

• 05-06-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Wanted to ask here, what you guys know about fire-safety issues found on Belarmine apartments?
    Is there known solution and cost for fixing the problem?

Regards,
    Sergio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LucyGrace

Hi, I was bidding on apartments in this complex this year. They had no concrete answers on the fire issues and costs. I went sale agreed and when my bank went to underwrite they would not. They were not going to offer a mortgage on these properties. I am not sure if you are looking as a buyer or as a resident but if its a buyer I would check with your bank even if you were willing to spend the money to fix the fire issue they may not support the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 j_d_lawler

Hi - any further information on this? I'm about to make an offer on a place there.

I was speaking with my bank and they said they couldn't see any potential issues. I believe the issues there are much more close to being resolved now.

Thanks,
    Justin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It may be worthwhile contacting the Management Company or its agency on this matter.
    Fire Prevention issues have arisen in many complexes as a result of Insurance Companies inspections. In many cases it is a matter of upgrading the present systems. While this can cost a bit well managed companies will have a Sinking Fund built up to cover such eventualities without resorting to increased management fees or levies.
    The Insurance Companies in my experience are being fair with the Management Companies who engage with them and produce plans for improvement even when these may be two/three year plans. The relevant Management Company should be able to provide full knowledge on fire prevention and any imroveents sought by Insurance Company.

If they wont provide or are very reluctant to disclose the necessary information you will have decisions to make about progressing the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Rockview/ Sandyford view/ Bracken hill have similar issues at the moment.
    Anyone have any insight to whats going on there? Survey carried out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

j_d_lawler wrote: »
    Hi - any further information on this? I'm about to make an offer on a place there.

I was speaking with my bank and they said they couldn't see any potential issues. I believe the issues there are much more close to being resolved now.

Thanks,
    Justin

I know that many estate agents won't touch park view as apartments always go sale agreed and fall through at mortgage stage.

KBC are the only bank I have heard of lending to purchasers there but there may be others.

I used an electrician who has an apartment there and he said that because nama own a load of these apartments that the tenants are holding out in the hope that they will do the required upgrades. They estimate it will be 10-15k per unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

I know that many estate agents won't touch park view as apartments always go sale agreed and fall through at mortgage stage.

KBC are the only bank I have heard of lending to purchasers there but there may be others.

I used an electrician who has an apartment there and he said that because nama own a load of these apartments that the tenants are holding out in the hope that they will do the required upgrades. They estimate it will be 10-15k per unit.

we were looking at one of the apartments in Parkview arround Christmas time and was told by EA that it's close to being resolved. He had no idea how much the final figure for each resident would be, could 1k could 10k to pay out.

He also said only KBC and maaaaybe Ulster were giving mortgages for this development.

We were with AIB and all of it just sounded like a big mess so didn't even bid in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why would you buy a property that has fire issues? If the developer skimped on life protection, they were capable of skimping on allot more...

Fire safety is easy to implement, there are very rigourous regulations around it... if they were not implemented correctly, that was by a concerted effort to avoid them...

Never ever ever buy a place that wasn't built properly... it will always be a nightmare. Very unfortunate for those who bought there, but you have the coice not to become one of those people.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why would you buy a property that has fire issues? If the developer skimped on life protection, they were capable of skimping on allot more...

Fire safety is easy to implement, there are very rigourous regulations around it... if they were not implemented correctly, that was by a concerted effort to avoid them...

Never ever ever buy a place that wasn't built properly... it will always be a nightmare. Very unfortunate for those who bought there, but you have the coice not to become one of those people.

While I agree with you to some extent, apartments that have signs of structural problems or water ingress problems will come to light if they exist. The fire protection problems will only appear if they are investigated or there is a fire. Apartments that have fire requlation problems that need to be fixed maybe better to buy/ invest in over an apartment that no issues have been investigated in. Certainly if there was issues of Pyrite or major structural issues I'd avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NormanStanley Fletcher

As somebody who bought back in 2006, I advise anyone looking at Parkview to stay away, there's nothing but issues. It is a cluster**** of issues, which in the end will end up costing every apt owner thousands and thousands of euro. This includes renting as the build quality IMO is poor.

As somebody who bought back in 2006, I advise anyone looking at Parkview to stay away, there's nothing but issues. It is a cluster**** of issues, which in the end will end up costing every apt owner thousands and thousands of euro. This includes renting as the build quality IMO is poor.

Any sign of the problems getting remidied? Has there been a Levy put in place yet for problems to get repaired?

• Advertisement

Any sign of the problems getting remidied? Has there been a Levy put in place yet for problems to get repaired?

There has been some work over the years Re water issues from the roofs of all the blocks, but the most important one, the fire issue is still dragging on, the legal process and the process of dealing with everyone at the table is astonishingly slow, we had/have a fire warden on site 24/7 for insurance purposes. There doesn't seem to be any sign of a conclusion to any of it, never mind actually getting to the point that there would be an actual figure put to people. Extremely frustrating situation to be in as an owner. I've tried to sell twice with both falling through in the end due to above issues, and don't even mention the negative equity ;)

we were looking at one of the apartments in Parkview arround Christmas time and was told by EA that it's close to being resolved. He had no idea how much the final figure for each resident would be, could 1k could 10k to pay out.

He also said only KBC and maaaaybe Ulster were giving mortgages for this development.

We were with AIB and all of it just sounded like a big mess so didn't even bid in the end.

You definitely made the right decision. The EA was spoofing or clueless, all it would take would be to get in touch with the management company (Core) and immediately you would feel the veil of secrecy they're working under, the lack of giving out the info or the hassle producing certs etc for solicitors/EA's etc. Count yourself lucky. Would you mind if i asked what block you were looking at?

If its any consolation, most apartments built in the last 15 years have these issues. You only have to Google Fire Issues and see there is scores of developments in Dublin alone that have similar issues. I've looked at the PPR website and a good few apartments have still sold in the development in the past 6 months. Is your apartment a 1 or 2 bed? The 2 beds seems to be getting decent prices still.

If its any consolation, most apartments built in the last 15 years have these issues. You only have to Google Fire Issues and see there is scores of developments in Dublin alone that have similar issues. I've looked at the PPR website and a good few apartments have still sold in the development in the past 6 months. Is your apartment a 1 or 2 bed? The 2 beds seems to be getting decent prices still.

Absolutely, there's going to be some serious bills for a lot of apartment owners in the future, and the sad thing is that most owners are scared to speak out about it, because in the end all they're doing is devaluing their own property/investment. Theres a lot to be answered IMO, especially the laws/rules back then RE self certification etc. We as a whole are suing everybody that was connected to any defects etc here i believe, but will anything come of it...........I wouldn't hold my breath. A little surprised at the sales alright on the PPR, goes against what's the norm when talking about the situation. Must be cash buyers the majority of them, although still think some of the values are too high IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't know anything about these apartments, but sometimes these problems can be overblown. There has been several developments in the news where the owners are getting bills of 5k to 10k to remedy problems - and while that's not nice it's a drop in the ocean compared to the purchase price. Usually the hold up with dealing with it is attempts to sue builders etc., and the other issue is the wasters in the complex who decide they aren't going to contribute. I can easily see sales going through if cash buyers think there is a discount to be had.

Absolutely, there's going to be some serious bills for a lot of apartment owners in the future, and the sad thing is that most owners are scared to speak out about it, because in the end all they're doing is devaluing their own property/investment. Theres a lot to be answered IMO, especially the laws/rules back then RE self certification etc. We as a whole are suing everybody that was connected to any defects etc here i believe, but will anything come of it...........I wouldn't hold my breath. A little surprised at the sales alright on the PPR, goes against what's the norm when talking about the situation. Must be cash buyers the majority of them, although still think some of the values are too high IMO.

If the developer has gone into liquidation, I think it's a waste of time, these apartments were built close to 15 years ago, it's game over to try sue a builder that far back.
    hmmm wrote:
    I don't know anything about these apartments, but sometimes these problems can be overblown. There has been several developments in the news where the owners are getting bills of 5k to 10k to remedy problems - and while that's not nice it's a drop in the ocean compared to the purchase price. Usually the hold up with dealing with it is attempts to sue builders etc., and the other issue is the wasters in the complex who decide they aren't going to contribute. I can easily see sales going through if cash buyers think there is a discount to be had.

Very good point, I seen a development in Dublin City Centre were being hit for 5k and the residents were crying like the cost was going to destroy their lives. Turns out most of the development was rented which means the landlord can write it off their tax bill. Don't get me wrong, I know 5k to 10k bill is alot of money, but it's a drop on the ocean of more serious problems you may have, houses with pyrite etc. That could cost you the cost of a total rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jwjk

We are looking at an apartment here and have gone sale agreed, however it was only after the fact that we found out by chance regarding the issues mentioned. Any information we or our solicitor has tried to gather on the fact has been met with nothing and avoidance of the subject. We are likely just going to pull out of it appears to be more hassle than it’s worth. Literally no answers and the estate agent has tried to just push us into it saying it will take a leap of faith in our side when they were never forthcoming with any problems regarding the apartment.
    Has there been any further development on the issue. We are trying to find out what the actual surveyors report found, how much will it cost to rectify and will it impact on the living situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

I am owner occupier here it’s very frustrating not getting any clear answers from anyone. Some people have a lot to answer for and can’t be touched. Churches estate agents are continually putting leaflets to sell through my letter box saying they have “sold” several apartments. If issues need to be fixed I’d rather pay 1,5,10k to get them done and be safe and be able to resell my property if and when I wanted. Have to say love living here despite all the bs. Lovely area and lovely neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uncertainty

I own an apartment with fire defects too but not in this development. I wouldn't buy an apartment unless a fire safety review has been conducted by the management company. We have had to pay €16,000. The developer is still in business and the county council have the power to force them to fix issues before they grant them any further planning permission but they don't do it.

I'm part of a lobbying group to lobby the government into taking action. It's a disgrace this has fallen on the innocent purchaser, who did everything right to remedy these issues. Fire certificates were issued on a good faith basis and the developers took short cuts in the pursuit of profit.

I've heard some estate agents will not longer list apartments until they know a fire safety report has been done.

Banks are also beginning to lend again on these apartments once they know a plan of action to address the issue is in place.

I own an apartment with fire defects too but not in this development. I wouldn't buy an apartment unless a fire safety review has been conducted by the management company. We have had to pay €16,000. The developer is still in business and the county council have the power to force them to fix issues before they grant them any further planning permission but they don't do it.

I'm part of a lobbying group to lobby the government into taking action. It's a disgrace this has fallen on the innocent purchaser, who did everything right to remedy these issues. Fire certificates were issued on a good faith basis and the developers took short cuts in the pursuit of profit.

I've heard some estate agents will not longer list apartments until they know a fire safety report has been done.

Banks are also beginning to lend again on these apartments once they know a plan of action to address the issue is in place.

I know of a couple that pulled out of a sale due to fire issues to go and buy in another development which had no defects, well so they think. The develpment they bought in still hasn't been checked. they nearly would have been better off going with the 1st apartment.

Shannon Homes who recently have purchased land in Ballyboden for 20mil should never ever ever be given another planning application approval. Genuinely can't believe that not one builder or labourer working on any of the building sites never raised an issue to why they weren't installing fire collars on the pipes. If one single perspn had of went to the Media back in 2004-2006 and told them of the corners being cut, the council would have acted.

The Council are asleep at the wheel on this issue, and it was them who issued the fire certs originally. I also think these issues are in houses but no is checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Same issues in Blanchardstown, there was a fire in April this year that left one of the Verdemount buildings badly damaged. Owners will have to paid 50K each to fix the fire issues left behind by the builders. Apartments in the block are highlight devaluated and are currently selling at a much lower asking price than average

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/residents-blanchardstown-apartment-complex-face-16061043

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uncertainty

Ironically the people benefiting from this are the building sector and the government who are receiving VAT from all these remediation works.

My apartment block is pre boom time so I honestly believe the majority of apartment blocks are affected. I've heard from a reliable source that apartments are still being built with fire defects...

The government have set precedent by helping those with Mica and Pyrite problems so they will have to help us too, even tax relief. There were tax breaks up until last year for people who wanted to improve their homes, we want to make ours safe and get nothing. It's really incredible.

I've emailed the council to ask them to use their powers until the Planning Act to force my developer to fix the problems but after first saying it was 'a very serious issue' they are now ignoring my emails.

The government have even given public building contracts to builders who have built defective homes!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

It's also a kip internally and the apartments are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CByrne12

I met with an estate agent last week who said that the total cost of repairs per apartment was €20,000 but that NAMA would be paying half and the owner was to pay the other half. He advised that the fire issues were something to do with no insulation (or something) between the external walls of the building. The €20k covers the repair costs which involve drilling holes in the external walls and pumping the insulation in between the bricks.

CByrne12 wrote: »
    I met with an estate agent last week who said that the total cost of repairs per apartment was €20,000 but that NAMA would be paying half and the owner was to pay the other half. He advised that the fire issues were something to do with no insulation (or something) between the external walls of the building. The €20k covers the repair costs which involve drilling holes in the external walls and pumping the insulation in between the bricks.

Not sure about the money and costing, but if there is no caivty barrier, pumping in insulation won't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

Any updates in this matter? We are looking to buy in D18 and Parkview in Stepaside is one of the areas we are considering? Is it still possible to get mortgage on apartments in Parkview?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

We’ve also been looking at an apartment there, which seems to be quite competitively priced. The EA told us up front about the fire safety issues and indicated it would cost between €5k and €15k per apartment to fix it.

Having read the above thread, I’m now inclined to back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

All this speculation and no actual concrete info. It’s gonna cost x y and z. It’s an ongoing process and it’s frustrating but we as residents have not been told the actual cost.
    I’m a owner occupier here and haven’t been informed of any costs if any as of yet. But everyone throwing out figures without factual info is frustrating and misleading and even worrying for some.

Wurley wrote: »
    All this speculation and no actual concrete info. It’s gonna cost x y and z. It’s an ongoing process and it’s frustrating but we as residents have not been told the actual cost.
    I’m a owner occupier here and haven’t been informed of any costs if any as of yet. But everyone throwing out figures without factual info is frustrating and misleading and even worrying for some.

Parkview seems to be in a different position to other developments as there seems to be a great deal of secrecy around what the actual issues are. Simonsridge a stones throw away have a comprehensive report of the issues, costings are debatable though. The Government looked as if they were going to get involved in some type of redress scheme, which could help owners to fix these properties.

The real issues as I see it are if there was a fire in one of these apartments and it spread to 6 adjoining dwellings and people were injured the Government and Councils will be accused (and Rightly) of ignoring the fact people were going to bed in dangerous conditions. Look at the Grenfell tower incident, and think of all the finger pointing in the aftermath.

I can only offer you my sympathies in regards to this. I know all too well what it feels like to be in your position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Raleha94

Has there been any progress on this since the last post? Also looking at D18 but very cautious about these blocks after reading this thread

Advertisement