Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon Berlin 2020

• 19-08-2019 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Just entered the Berlin Half marathon for 2020. Has anybody here ever donut? How did you you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

Snapgal wrote: »
    Just entered the Berlin Half marathon for 2020. Has anybody here ever donut? How did you you find it?

I've done it 4 times now including the last 3 yrs. Great route and organisation, good support, an amazing city to spend a weekend. Transport is top class, very easy to get around.

The only issue has been the weather, 20° last 2 years no wind, sounds perfect but training in our winter early spring in cold conditions and then going to that is tough. The following day it was back to 13-15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Wottle wrote: »
    I've done it 4 times now including the last 3 yrs. Great route and organisation, good support, an amazing city to spend a weekend. Transport is top class, very easy to get around.

The only issue has been the weather, 20° last 2 years no wind, sounds perfect but training in our winter early spring in cold conditions and then going to that is tough. The following day it was back to 13-15.

I know. I teach German and lived there for a year for college 20 years ago - even then public transport and everything else super organized.
    I remember the heat wave they had this year over there in Cologne at Easter - plane was delayed from Dublin flying over as stormy here but less than 1hr 1/2 later over there 27 deg basking in sun. Friends were telling me over there though few days before there was some snow it was so cold!!
    I’ll chance it even if hot.At least the course is flat - remember doing half in Connemara around same time of year few years ago and day was hot - we never expected it it. Crazy hill at the end - people were getting sick at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Hi I have also entered Berlin half marathon 2020, I can't get over there until the night before though due to a family commitment, and by the time I land the expo will have closed. Would anyone happen to know if I can get someone to collect my number by proxy? I know you usually can in other marathons/halfs, but not always.

Thank you.

Last year I know of 3 people (same group) who were in same position. They contacted organisers and had their numbers printed morning of race at a tent.
    There was a lot of pleading via email before giving the OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Hi I have also entered Berlin half marathon 2020, I can't get over there until the night before though due to a family commitment, and by the time I land the expo will have closed. Would anyone happen to know if I can get someone to collect my number by proxy? I know you usually can in other marathons/halfs, but not always.

Thank you.

You need to present photo ID such as a passport or drivers licence to collect your number. They are fairly particular about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Thank you.

Know how strict German authorities can be but say you should be able to print it out on day. If any issues I can pick up numbers for you and anybody else. Can meet you somewhere night before to give number.Say a copy of ID should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

anyone heading over this weekend?

flying in the morning for one night and the half on sunday

was not sure if id bother since barcelona was 2 weeks ago but just booked a flight this week and will see how it goes - could be a bad idea but had serious FOMO

first time doing berlin half, hopefully it is a good day out! interested to hear of anyones experiences with it?

Currently in the airport, looking forward to it, but not in the shape I thought I'd be a few months back.

Its a great event with an epic finish, enjoy.

Might need extra layers before the off, it's to be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

only saw the reply today. how did u get on?

it was a class event and i will definitely do it again! my hotel was less than 1km from start line so i did not bother bringing a bag, got a few funny looks from people all wrapped up as i was walking across in a singlet an hour before start time! kept warm enough anyway, few exercises and jogs around the start area was needed...

ended up getting a pb by a few minutes too which im delighted with. felt very strong until the last km when i got a really bad stitch which caused a lot of pain with every step/breath, still tho - managed to power on and finish strong but around 1 min slower than i hoped for since i had the energy to push on but just the stitch made it near impossible. was a bit windy on course but nice and flat so overall it was grand. home on the late aer lingus flight last night, wrecked today. would love to do the full berlin marathon one day.

This race never fails to impress. Congratulations on the PB.

I went to Primark the day before and bought the cheapest hoody and bottoms I could find. I was there way too early but managed to keep warm. Used an old pair of wooly socks as gloves, threw them away at mile 2. My Leinster rugby hat is lost forever, fceked that off at mile 3.

11 second PB for me, which was a massive surprise, not in shape I was at the end of last year.

I too will be back for my 6th time, entries open next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement