Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I didn't get this far to get this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Where are you going in Spain? We’re off to Salou Thursday. Hoping the weather won’t be as hot as threatened now or running could go by the wayside fairly fast!

We are going to a camp site near l’estarit. About 45 mins from Girona. It looks hot all right - the last time I was in the area was 2016 and I was training for Berlin - some fuzzy ten milers in 30 degrees !!! I’m not a hardcore runner I have to admit I won’t not have a couple of glasses of wine to get up at 6 or something.
    I’m just back from ten miles now - and will do 5 tomorrow before I fly - so no need to worry about big miles for at least a week !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Congratulations Bluesquare!! Brilliant result in Dunshaughlin, I'm absolutely delighted to see this. Loved the report (and nice to see the happy ending over on your old log too ;) ). Hope you're enjoying the hols now!

Thanks All . Still contemplating getting a new hobby now !! I miss my sub 50 dream !! What will I have as a new tenk target - sub 49 just doesn’t seem as sexy !

I have another tenk coming up at the end of July but after a month of holidays I can’t see that being a race race .

It’s so hot here in Spain right now - glorious but not really running weather - even at 7 am it’s hot hot .

I had great plans to run on Wednesday before we flew - but I was just plain tired - the race took a larger toll then I had expected.

I skipped Thursday as well cause was trying to avoid looking too obsessive (and was still wrecked). On Friday I managed 6 mile at 6:20 pace with a 7:45 start , tough run acclimatizing to the weather . Saturday I was wide awake and got out at 7:30 for 5 mile - more sluggish (more wine) and certainly much hotter - 27 degrees when I finished (6:30 pace). This left me with 4 mile to do to reach a 25 mile target . On Sunday I dragged myself out of bed and crawled down the road , thinking just do 5k be grand .

I wandering down a random back road and found a fabulous cycle/walking track amongst of all things paddy fields . Who knew . It turned into beautiful run. There were hundreds of cobwebs glistening in the morning sun decorating the plants that lined the canal that fed the fields . Kept running to find out what was behind the next corner - ran 5 mile and was happy with life!

This brought my mileage to 26 miles for the week. This seems low compared to most peeps on here. I’m happy mind, it’s the most I’ve managed in a month in over a year. A good base for the marathon .

My monthly mileage read 199.9 on garmin so ran 100m on the beach to get a nice round number . I thought I’d left that runners ocd behind years ago !

I forgot to throw in my cross training to the log - hiked up to Castel Montgrí this morning - a steep little climb and a two hour round trip !! Fig cheesecake is divine- just saying!

Holiday Running cont ....

I decided this week was going to be a step back week before the marathon plan kicked off as I really didn’t want to hate running before I started!

I wasn’t following any plan this week - just throwing in miles when I could at whatever pace legs took me. Which was far from fast. Hot weather , Spanish wine and icecream was taking a toll on my pace - but there will be plenty of time for good nutritional behavior in the next four months. I’m only away once a year.

Monday - a 5k hike with the kids
    Tuesday -rest , well deserved after three days running in a row , and a fourth day hiking
    Wednesday - 8k@6:04 am, 6k@6:20
    Thursday- 8k@6:12
    Friday - 4 mile @ 6:07
    Sat - flight to Italy
    Sunday- 8k @ 6:06 .(1 mile LT in there at 5:10, met someone I knew and ran with them for a section- who knew I had it on me in the heat !)

Italy seems cooler for running so far although temperatures are higher - I think cause it’s by the lake .

So total mileage last week : 23 miles , if I include the hike 26 !

Resting today as full day of activities planned!!! Seem to be running all the time but not racking up miles . Husband thinks I’ve lost the plot

From Spanish ice cream to Italian ice cream, mmmm.... Hope you're having a ball!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats on Dunshaughlin. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

just catching up, Congrats on the Sub 50 in Dunshaughlin. Delighted for you.
    Enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Thanks all for the congratulations on my sub 50. I’m still delighted .

Back from holidays now and ready to rock ! About 4 pound heavier - and have a serious amount of water retention . July though is unrelenting and I have two more weekends away before the month is out , so it’s going to be a trial fitting in runs .

First week of marathon training :

Note : the plan I’m using has low enough mileage but this is minimum suggested mileage. I have purposely added miles to my plan to be inline with Hal’s intermediate 2 plan . I’m conscious that everyone on here seems to do more miles but I’m also aware that this maybe counterproductive for me. My plan is to figure it out as I go along - i want to enjoy this training block and get the best out of it that I can .

Tuesday :

Plan : 7 mile with 2*2 mile @ MP and strides
    Actual : 13k with 2*2mile @ MP and strides

Still in Italy for this - it was quite a dull morning so the heat wasn’t 0TT. Took a while for the body to adjust to moving faster then an easy pace .

So one mile warm up @ 6:33
    2 miles MP (3.2k@ 5:32,5:22,5:29,5:39)
    1 mile easy @ 6:15
    2 miles MP @ 5:27,5:33,5:30,5:30)
    2 miles Cool down @ 6:20 with 4*30 secs strides

I found it difficult to find MP ( I’m going with sub 4 for the moment ) . Good job I have 3 months to practice. What pace to peeps usually use ? Is it the sub 4 pace minus a couple of secs to account for the extra distance on garmin at end of a marathon? (5:41-4 secs)

Thursday :

Plan: 6 mile easy
    Actual: 6 mile easy @ 6:20

Friday :

Plan: 5 mile easy
    Actual: 7 mile easy @ 6:20

Sunday:

Plan: LSR ten miles
    Actual : LSR ten miles @ 6:20

First run back home and legs were very tired at the end - I’m guessing that was the flight and the 17 days of good living. I had a protein shake straight after but still very stiff today .

31.5 miles altogether which is the most I’ve done in an age ! (3.5 more than schedule )

Another busy week begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Welcome back from the hols.

Should be doing planned marathon pace or the marathon pace your current fitness gives you? Maybe it’s the same? Did you check the calculators after your 10km race?

• Advertisement

Welcome back from the hols.

Should be doing planned marathon pace or the marathon pace your current fitness gives you? Maybe it’s the same? Did you check the calculators after your 10km race?

Mac Millan gives me 3:52 which I’m ignoring and just going with sub 4 for now . MP should be about 5:37 I think (adjusting for the extra distance I’ll run during the marathon ). I can’t seem to get the pace though - my legs falling to threshold pace and I keep having to pull back . Still not convinced on the sub 4 thing but I’m going with it for now. The only paces on the schedule are easy ( he gives a range of 6:20-6:30) MP(5:30-5:40) and LT ( 5:00-5:10) and strides (1 mile pace).

Week 2 Marathon Training

Monday 15th July

I never usually run on Mondays but with the club race on Tuesday and the fact I was going down the country for the weekend looming I had to do something . Unfortunately that something was an LT session. Not ideal 12 hours after a long run after a flight home . Oh it it was a bit humid . Irish humidity is special !

Schedule: 3*(1k easy ,1LT) - with 2k warm up and warm down

Actual : 3*(1k easy ,1LT) - with 3.2k warm up and 2.2 warm down (7mile)

Paces for LT : 5:05,4:58,5;04. Easy paces all done between 6:10 and 6:20

I won’t lie , this was a tough session , last rep hurt I was exhausted for the whole day after .

Tuesday 16th

Sports massage - this hurt bad ! Apparently my left calf was very tight - hadn’t noticed to be honest .

Club race- It always nice to watch a race and see how other people focus and to see the effort required etc in their face and movements. The leaders always look almost serene though . Good to see to wubble wubble who cruised by !

Wed17th July

Schedule : 5 mile easy
    Actual: 6 mile easy @ 6:22

I tried to leave the run for 24 hours after massage to avoid any issues but still felt fairly tender

Thurs 18th July
    Schedule: 7 mile easy with strides
    Actual: 7 mile easy with strides @ 6:21

Legs namely left calf really achey on this run.

Friday 19th of July
    Schedule: 13 mile easy
    Actual: 13 mile easy @ 6:10

Was dreading the long one as legs were aching so much on Thursday - but it was ok in the end . It was too fast and I couldn’t slow the gang down. I was trailing behind trying to do my own pace but had to keep them in sight cause was in the middle of no where and well I have zero sense of direction.

This was my longest run since last September . Haven’t fueled on a training run in long time so decided I’d start practicing this real food lark. I had a mini mars bar at 10k and a date at 16k . They tasted much better the gel - not sure of effectiveness but they were nice rewards for the trudging .

Second week done and dusted @ 32.3 mile

Nice two days rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Week 2 Marathon Training

Monday 15th July

I never usually run on Mondays but with the club race on Tuesday and the fact I was going down the country for the weekend looming I had to do something . Unfortunately that something was an LT session. Not ideal 12 hours after a long run after a flight home . Oh it it was a bit humid . Irish humidity is special !

Schedule: 3*(1k easy ,1LT) - with 2k warm up and warm down

Actual : 3*(1k easy ,1LT) - with 3.2k warm up and 2.2 warm down (7mile)

Paces for LT : 5:05,4:58,5;04. Easy paces all done between 6:10 and 6:20

I won’t lie , this was a tough session , last rep hurt I was exhausted for the whole day after .

Tuesday 16th

Sports massage - this hurt bad ! Apparently my left calf was very tight - hadn’t noticed to be honest .

Club race- It always nice to watch a race and see how other people focus and to see the effort required etc in their face and movements. The leaders always look almost serene though . Well find to wubble wubble who cruised by !

Wed17th

Not so sure about that description :D 3 1/2 miles in or thereabouts? I certainly didn't feel as comfortable as I may have looked! Nice to meet you afterwards :)

Monday 22nd
    Plan : nothing
    Actual :10k on grass @6:10

Tuesday 23rd

Plan: 4*1k@LT with 90 secs easy between reps (6 mile)
    Actual: 4*1k@LT with 90 secs easy between reps (7mile)

Warm up: 2.5k@ 6:10
    LT paces : 5:05,5:01,5:04,5:00
    Cool down: 4.4k@6:15

The session felt good despite the heat and 90 secs slow seemed like a perfect time to recover.

Thursday 25th

Plan: 2 mile easy ,3 mile MP, 2 mile easy and strides (8 mile)
    Actual: 4 mile easy @ 10:07

By the time hubby got home from work it was too late to do an 8 mile session so improvised.

Friday 26th

Plan: nothing
    Actual : 2k easy (@6:20)5k MP(@5:31,5:33,5:32,5:24,5:36) 3k easy(@6:11)

An attempt to make up for previous nights missed session. I’m really struggling to hit MP . It should be about 5:37/9 min mile but my legs do not like that pace . They insist on LT pace or easy pace. So I’m constantly speeding up and slowing down . And the last 100m of each km is generally me crawling on hands and knees to slow enough to hit the pace . So the first 2.5 of the MP is on an incline and the last 2.5 the reverse . I think maybe next time I’ll slow the first half by ten secs and speed up the second half but keep effort consistent .

Saturday 27th

Plan : LSR 15 mile
    Actual: nothing

Sunday: 6 mile easy
    Actual: 15 mile easy@ approx 6:05

9.6k warm up, 10k race, 4.8k cool down .

The plan this week originally was to mini taper and to race today . Changed plan mid week as weather silly warm for racing and the course not particularly pleasant or Pb producing . I decided that my shiny new Dunshaughlin 10k pb would work for me better from a mental perspective then blowing up in a race today on hills and heat.

I still ran the race but as part of a long run and couldn’t resist dipping under 60 mins @ 59:50.

The plan prescribed 34 miles and I managed 38. Very happy with that despite very tired legs. Back at work tomorrow after a month off so I expect slippage on my energy levels and mileage . Good job it’s a step back week and a bank holiday the next week !!

I thought in 2016 I was doing great mileage turns out I’ve done more mileage in June and July this year than July and August before a September marathon in 2016!

I’ve upped my protein intake slightly so hoping that helps with recovery . As I said today is the first day I was zonked after a run !

Very pleased with my July mileage . Most I’ve ever run in a month.

..........138.4 miles or 223.7 km

Just had to post that . Go me ! Now let’s see where these miles take me .

Step back week - week 4

Back at work after 5 weeks of parental leave so a step back week was well placed. Off on my travels again to Cork this weekend so was keen not to bring runners and get a few days chilling .

Tuesday 30th July
    —————————

Schedule : 5*1k@LT pace with 90 secs AT (easy pace )between reps . Total : 6 mile

Actual :5*1k@LT pace with 90 secs AT (easy pace )between reps . Total : 7.5 mile . LT reps (4:58,4:58,4:58,5:01,4:54)

Reps a bit on fast side - hard to control pace with group training sessions . First four felt ok - a bit of chatter - (bursts here and there) so it seemed controlled. Last K was tough enough. Heart rate a bit higher here than normal for these type of sessions.

Wednesday 31st of July
    —————————————

Not on schedule but doing Sunday’s miles

4 mile easy @ 6:25

Legs tired after previous session.

Thursday 1st of August ( wtf????? August ??)

Schedule : 1 mile AT, 2 mile MP, 1mile AT, 2 mile MP, 1 mile AT with strides

Actual : as above but forgot to do strides eek!
    Paces : are in km cause can’t work friggin watch

First batch MP:5:31,5:31,5:32,5:42(.2)
    Second Batch MP: 5:35,5:29,5:33,5:36(.2)

Found this work out tough , tired and achey after last few weeks . Happy to have it done and pacing for MP a bit better.

Came home from work on Friday exhausted and with a dodgy tummy . Not dodgy enough to stop me running this morning but was a bit concerned so made sure route had toilet options.

Saturday 3rd of August
    ——————————-

Schedule: 13 miles AT
    Actual : 13.1 miles AT @ 6:27

Was a lovely pace and a nice chatty run
    Did need the bathroom stop though .

I tried the Osmo hydration in 600 ml . My energy levels were fine after but I still felt thirsty . It’s not unlike lucazade sport texture wise and tasted like green zero with sugar . I drank a lot of water when I got home . My buddy used the tailwind mixture and had the same sensation as me re feeling thirsty . It was a very humid morning but still . I think there will be a need to bring money for water next time or hide some on route .

I’m tired and achey and glad to be resting until Tuesday evening .

Brought my foam roller to cork and might try dip in cold sea (eh unlikely ).

Hopefully this is normal tiredness after building mileage for a month !

31.7 miles . 7 miles less than last week and I’m very happy with not having to run those miles !

Enjoy your trip to Cork. The sea was nice and warm a few weeks ago when I went in upto my ankles ;-)

Enjoy your trip to Cork. The sea was nice and warm a few weeks ago when I went in upto my ankles ;-)

Can’t see it happening . I hate hate cold water . But we will see......

Can’t see it happening . I hate hate cold water . But we will see......

Made it into the sea anyway . No miracles on my tired legs mind - but have me a half a second cool rating with the kids !

Posting this morning as on the train and a bit bored.

Last weeks running which was a step back week ended on Saturday . I have yet to fit in recovery run after the actual long run as have been front loading miles for a few weeks.

On Sunday and Monday I didn’t run .Shock horror . I did walk for 40 mins a day though and also indulged in a mini hike for an hour or so. I ate loads and may have indulged in 1/2 alcoholic beverages over the long weekend !

Tuesday 6th August
    ——————————
    Plan : 8 mile easy (prescribed easy pace 6:20/10:15)
    Actual: A very exciting 9 mile easy run. ( 6:10/10:00)

Ok I’m back to old tricks I admit it - doing slow too fast but club runs are hard to manage . Unlike previous marathon training I’m now running with my peers - as in same fitness levels so not struggling to keep pace with faster folk. Just people who refuse to listen - I think they maybe going faster to get me to shut up . I just spent all my time muttering slow down , slow down , and then running slower and slower forcing them to follow suit . They will thank me in the end lol! It wasn’t a complete disaster I know and it was a chatty albeit evil muttering run.

Thursday 8th August
    ——————————-

Schedule : 2 easy, 3 MP,2 easy and 4*30 sec strides with 90 sec easy recovery

Actual :8 mile: 2 easy , 3 fantasy MP, 2 easy and strides

Paces for easy bits : 6:00, 6:05 ish
    Paces for MP: 5:38,5:23,5:26,5:33,5,28

Again with club and again with the muttering .
    This time was I chatting non stop during MP to get them to slow - but I was told no talking during the tempo bit - c’mon!.Then we would regress to bloody Hmp pace and I would start chatting again . So pace all over the place . Quite an undulating route for half of it so hard to get a Rhythm.

Rest day today and will do a bit of S+C. Long run tomorrow with some MP so that’s going to be fun .

Legs starting to get a little stiff —and calf was complaining after strides last night . Going to be a long creaky autumn .

• Advertisement

Ok I’m back to old tricks I admit it - doing slow too fast but club runs are hard to manage . Unlike previous marathon training I’m now running with my peers - as in same fitness levels so not struggling to keep pace with faster folk. Just people who refuse to listen - I think they maybe going faster to get me to shut up . I just spent all my time muttering slow down , slow down , and then running slower and slower forcing them to follow suit . They will thank me in the end lol! It wasn’t a complete disaster I know and it was a chatty albeit evil muttering run.
    I can fully imagine how frustrating it must be running with people who are going too fast, but your description of this makes it sound hilarious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Posting this morning as on the train and a bit bored.

Last weeks running which was a step back week ended on Saturday . I have yet to fit in recovery run after the actual long run as have been front loading miles for a few weeks.

On Sunday and Monday I didn’t run .Shock horror . I did walk for 40 mins a day though and also indulged in a mini hike for an hour or so. I ate loads and may have indulged in 1/2 alcoholic beverages over the long weekend !

Tuesday 6th August
    ——————————
    Plan : 8 mile easy (prescribed easy pace 6:20/10:15)
    Actual: A very exciting 9 mile easy run. ( 6:10/10:00)

Thursday 8th August
    ——————————-

Schedule : 2 easy, 3 MP,2 easy and 4*30 sec strides with 90 sec easy recovery

Actual :8 mile: 2 easy , 3 fantasy MP, 2 easy and strides

Paces for easy bits : 6:00, 6:05 ish
    Paces for MP: 5:38,5:23,5:26,5:33,5,28

Again with club and again with the muttering .
    This time was I chatting non stop during MP to get them to slow - but I was told no talking during the tempo bit - c’mon!.Then we would regress to bloody Hmp pace and I would start chatting again . So pace all over the place . Quite an undulating route for half of it so hard to get a Rhythm.

Rest day today and will do a bit of S+C. Long run tomorrow with some MP so that’s going to be fun .

Legs starting to get a little stiff —and calf was complaining after strides last night . Going to be a long creaky autumn .

It's very frustrating and i know the feeling running with others. Do ye specify the target pace before the run? I find by doing that i can be less naggy and more specific, so if the target pace is 6 min/km and that's been agreed before the start then i can just give a call out we're now doing 5:45 pace etc and they seem to accept that and pull back a bit much better than just a call out to slow down etc. I hope that makes sense, maybe you're already doing that but i found it helped a bit, difficult running in a group though but so enjoyable, sometimes you might just have to sacrifice running at your ideal pace.

ariana` wrote: »
    It's very frustrating and i know the feeling running with others. Do ye specify the target pace before the run? I find by doing that i can be less naggy and more specific, so if the target pace is 6 min/km and that's been agreed before the start then i can just give a call out we're now doing 5:45 pace etc and they seem to accept that and pull back a bit much better than just a call out to slow down etc. I hope that makes sense, maybe you're already doing that but i found it helped a bit, difficult running in a group though but so enjoyable, sometimes you might just have to sacrifice running at your ideal pace.

They are generally good at MP or LT. Anything slower or faster seems impossible . My mistake was I gave them a range - and they always go with lower end and then some .

But the club running keeps me motivated so I suppose I’ll keep the muttering up. I will have plenty of opportunities to prove my commitment to easy easy i guess when no club around .

I’m in the hairdressers so again find myself idle and not really so decided to update log on my fantastical snorkelly long run.

So the plan was originally 15 miles with 2 easy,4MP,2 easy,4 MP, 3 easy

Didn’t exactly go as planned :

So it was wet. But we are not sugar and all that . So first two mile grand : 10:13,9:31

Next 4 mile at MP.

This wasn’t ideal - first 2 mile @ MP was into the wind and rain running against traffic on a coastal country dodgy road. Nerves were shot , felt wobbly everytime car zoomed by . Pace felt ok but I was holding back because every instinct wanted to peg it out of there cause didn’t feel safe.

2nd two mile better for sure apart from the giant hill in the middle . Kept the pace so happy with that . We decided to change the route as it was sending us up a ridiculously twisty country road. It wasn’t the best day to die .

MP splits: 9:02,8:46,9:02,8:59

Stopped briefly (2 mins tops)for a water buying glasses cleaning episode and then continued with two mile easy . 10:27,9:54

Realized that our four mile was going to take us up the hill of death as we had to change route once again due to the weather . So stopped doing marathon pace after 2 mile . ( 9:01,9:01) . I could feel blisters forming on heels and they were singing to me. We then decided ah let’s get covered in mud because being soaking wet was hardly hardcore enough. So we went back to original route and ran by the river - at this stage just running through muddy puddles and making no attempt to avoid . Peppa eat your heart out !

Ticked off three more miles including a lovely km uphill . We knew at this stage we would have to run past cars as distance short so lack of death wish earlier on was destroying our souls so close to finish !! (9:55,10:08, 10:26)

After the hill somebody suggested doing last two miles at marathon pace. So off we went again. At this point I seemed like the only one keeping the pace . (MP/9:00) The decision maker then decided screw this lets slow down for last mile . I was happy to do this but somehow it felt harder .

We finished with a ten min mile . It’s done . It wasn’t pleasant , it was a ‘bit’ wet and I was soaked to the skin . Actually I’d say you could see my skin through the top. Anyways I felt like a legend by the end ! Go me

A race report on a long run ! Wha

Last post of the week

6 miles recovery run done and dusted @ 6:30mink.

6 miles seems a bit much for recovery. I don’t really feel all recovered.

Found a lot of friction burns today after yesterday’s saga. Heels in a mess.

Anyways 38.2 miles for the week. Tick , tick , tick !!

Tough week of running ahead should be interesting .

Bring it on!

Week beginning 12th of August

Tuesday 13th of August
    ————————————

Plan: 5*(1kLT, 1 k easy)
    Actual : 12k with session as listed

LT paces: 4:58,4:58,5:00,4:59,4:57
    Easy paces: 6:25-6:30

Felt much harder then should have been - kept the pace no problem though. Maybe I just disliked the effort -nah that’s not true - on last rep breathing was way too labored.

Wednesday 14th
    —————————

Plan: nada
    Actual: 4 mile recovery @ 10:20

Heart rate average 141 - started high but most of it was under 140

Thursday 15th
    ————————

Plan: 2m AT, 4 mile MP, 2 mile AT with strides
    Actual: as above well 8.3 miles

Paces: 10:00,10:10,8:50,8:50,8:45,8:45,10:10,10:10 and strides

Obviously marathon pace was too speedy but was also complete whilst in the middle of deep conversation. It was also shocking warm. Anyways wasn’t paying attention to pace and just following group in front. So session wasn’t handy - and the MP not MP felt tough.

Sat 17th
    ——————-
    I was supposed to do LSR on Sunday as I was out after work on Friday . After the soaking last week I just couldn’t face another one . Also on Sunday I would be solo. Shock horror. So I stayed in the pub for like 4/5 bottles and then legged it when no one was looking. ( it was still only 9!) Unfortunately I have an hour long train journey home and by the time I got there well I was hungover . I drank zero ,had crisps , toast and tea and went to bed . Not a chance could I sleep , drifted off about 3 and wide awake for 7. So I got up and joined the gang for 28k.

Thankfully it was slow. I wasn’t very prepared , and had shoved a great selection of sweets and choc in my belt . Anyways run was grand , ran out of water though and god was I thirsty . Didn’t think about pace or look at watch - just took it handy and chatted . Last 4K I was on my lonesome so struggled a little , energy levels were fine ( those mini kinder egg things are the job) but legs ached. I plodded into the wind feeling sorry for self then last K picked up and finished fast .

Over all pace was 6:14 or 10:03

Lovely run and 17 is so close to 20 and 20 is like the longest run I have to do . So how hard can it be !

Sunday 17th
    Plan: 6 mile recovery
    Actual: 5 mile recovery @ 10:03

As I had gone over on 1/2 runs during the week a 5 mile recovery was plenty! This was a nice run. Legs and energy levels were ticidy boo and I was constantly pulling myself back . Heart rate was stupid low (130) for me .

Biggest weekly mileage coming in at 42.2 miles.

I feel in control of the training which has boosted my confidence in the whole process. Usually the training takes control of me ! I had a peek at my last log for Berlin - eek. Everything was done at top speed or whatever energy I had left on a given day !

Step back next week - doing frank on Saturday - not sure what my strategy should be . I’ll be running it on the back of two big mileage weeks . I plan to do my LT session on Tuesday but swap a MP interval session for an easy run on Thursday .

A ten mile pb is really not worth getting that excited about right now - the half though will be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Good weeks training- regarding the 10 mile, and half, that’s definitely how I’m feeling too.

That’s a nice strong weeks training. Well done. No advice on the 10 mile. I think it’s whatever you want from it yourself. I’m racing a 10k next week but have a 10mile the week after and it will just be part of a long run.

That’s a nice strong weeks training. Well done. No advice on the 10 mile. I think it’s whatever you want from it yourself. I’m racing a 10k next week but have a 10mile the week after and it will just be part of a long run.

Not sure what I want from it to be honest - frank has never really been nice to me , so maybe I’m looking for an apology and some nice treatment for a change !

Dunno maybe I’d like to use it as a tune up race for the half - see if I can strategize and implement a pace plan . I might set a soft target and see how she’s goes .

• Advertisement

Not sure what I want from it to be honest - frank has never really been nice to me , so maybe I’m looking for an apology and some nice treatment for a change !

Dunno maybe I’d like to use it as a tune up race for the half - see if I can strategize and implement a pace plan . I might set a soft target and see how she’s goes .

I’ve 18 miles to do the day of my 10 mile and this is the plan for it just in case it’s any help to you: 5 easy, 3 moderate pre race. 25' MP, 20/15/15 progressive tempo

I do need to ask for more details as I’m not going to manage 10 miles in 1hr15 but you could do some sort of a progression run?

Advertisement