Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is being Right wing considered bad?

• 17-08-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I've noticed recently that even questioning liberal policies in Ireland is considered 'far right', and the likes of the journal call any dissenters to the government narrative 'far right'. In today's age, I'd be considered moderate right wing and I'm proud of my views in this regard. However, somehow I get the feeling the establishment would consider me as problematic.

My values are based on meritocracy and working hard to achieve. I dont buy into identity politics as I feel it feeds a beast of divide and conquer. I feel everyone should have the same rights and not he prejudiced on colour, race or creed. However, I do believe in the truth and we should not sacrifice truth on the alter of political correctness.

I do not have extreme views, but we dont have a fair and just society as it stands. Recently, at the protests at Google HQ, it is clear that certain far left elements planted someone to give a nazi salute at the protest. It then got air coverage from Ryan Tubridy, who couldn't even be bothered researching, and just spouted the usual nonsense. This really bothers me, as there is clearly a bias against people with conservative views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a perception in the media/social media that the right is bad only if your consuming left wing media in the news or your in a social media space where thought and speech are monitored and controlled like Twitter, Boards, Facebook etc. It's fascism disguised as libertarianism. I'm glad to be anywhere right of the current left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

There's a perception in the media/social media that the right is bad only if your consuming left wing media in the news or your in a social media space where thought and speech are monitored and controlled like Twitter, Boards, Facebook etc. It's fascism disguised as libertarianism. I'm glad to be anywhere right of the current left.

Well, I see it's the narrative on every single legacy media outlet. From the journal to RTE, the Irish times to the independent.

They all hate Trump, populism, Farage etc. I actually think the opposite, I like Trump and Farage and Patriotism. I really do wonder why every media outlet has the same opinion. Even all the Irish political parties are pretty much the same, none have conservative views. It's a bit worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

lufties wrote: »
    I like Trump and Farage and Patriotism..

In which case, your claim that you're 'moderate right wing' is false.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's not just in Ireland though. Any signs of conservative or right wing views are immediately described as far right.
    Media pumps out article after article about "the rise of the far right" and how bad it is. It's acceptable to call someone a Nazi nowadays if they don't subscribe to left wing views.

I'm concerned about the amount of money spent on welfare
    I'm concerned about the level of immigration into Ireland
    I'm concerned about the creeping powers of the EU

= I'm worse than Hitler

In which case, your claim that you're 'moderate right wing' is false.

Your wrong. Neither are 'far right'. You sir are an example of what I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's no bias against the right wing. There's an objection to narcissistic, sociopathic behaviour which is what the likes of Trump and Farage exemplify.

We already have a political party on the island that espouses Trumpian views, the Farage outlook on the world, and 'patriotism': they are the DUP, a party steeped in flag-waving and bluster, coupled with utter disregard for the rights of those they disagree with.

Why anyone would desire a green-hued version of this is beyond me.

I find using the DUP as a moral compass to be quite useful: essentially take whatever direction that is the opposite of the one they recommend. More often than not it tends to point one on to the more noble path.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Your wrong. Neither are 'far right'. You sir are an example of what I'm talking about.

Are they, in your warped view, 'moderate'?

Are they, in your warped view, 'moderate'?

Straight away you try to slander and ridicule. I've obviously triggered you. They are moderate. Both are Patriots putting their own above all else. Far right is being openly racist, or hating homosexuals.

Before you predictably go 'But they racist", show me evidence of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I've noticed recently that even questioning liberal policies in Ireland is considered 'far right', and the likes of the journal call any dissenters to the government narrative 'far right'. In today's age, I'd be considered moderate right wing and I'm proud of my views in this regard. However, somehow I get the feeling the establishment would consider me as problematic.

My values are based on meritocracy and working hard to achieve. I dont buy into identity politics as I feel it feeds a beast of divide and conquer. I feel everyone should have the same rights and not he prejudiced on colour, race or creed. However, I do believe in the truth and we should not sacrifice truth on the alter of political correctness.

I do not have extreme views, but we dont have a fair and just society as it stands. Recently, at the protests at Google HQ, it is clear that certain far left elements planted someone to give a nazi salute at the protest. It then got air coverage from Ryan Tubridy, who couldn't even be bothered researching, and just spouted the usual nonsense. This really bothers me, as there is clearly a bias against people with conservative views.
    How is it clear that"certain far left elements planted someone to give a nazi salute at the protest"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's not about right or left with me it's a simple case of right or wrong. I would be considered by certain on here to be far right because of my anti immigration views but actually a lot of my views would be quite left wing for example I support free healthcare and education, I am against the privatisation of state assets and I have an intense dislike of international finace capitalism and globalism.

But I am tarred with the far right brush as firstly I want to feel safe in my country, want to preserve the nations culture, traditions and identity, don't want to be taken for a ride by con artists and I am against a race to the bottom caused by cheap immigrant labour.

In fact I would actually regard it as quite a left wing stance to be anti immigration which causes a race to the bottom due to cheap labour. Immigrants are willing to work for less, often don't have a family in the country to support or much of a social network so are more flexible to work longer hours. This means less money for hard pressed Irish families.

• Advertisement

There's no bias against the right wing. There's an objection to narcissistic, sociopathic behaviour which is what the likes of Trump and Farage exemplify.

We already have a political party on the island that espouses Trumpian views, the Farage outlook on the world, and 'patriotism': they are the DUP, a party steeped in flag-waving and bluster, coupled with utter disregard for the rights of those they disagree with.

Why anyone would desire a green-hued version of this is beyond me.

I find using the DUP as a moral compass to be quite useful: essentially take whatever direction that is the opposite of the one they recommend. More often than not it tends to point one on to the more noble path.

The DUP are part of the UK so dont worry your little head.

Show me some evidence regarding Trump, instead of spouting the usual predictable, meaningless 'isms'.

How is it clear that"certain far left elements planted someone to give a nazi salute at the protest"?

YouTuber Gearoid Murphy has done an in depth analysis on it in a recent video called 'who is the nazi', to any sane, logical person the overwhelming evidence is there that this guy was a plant. It has clearly been orchestrated by far left elements.

I cant copy and paste the vid for some reason, your gonna have to look it up.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's not about right or left with me it's a simple case of right or wrong. I would be considered by certain on here to be far right because of my anti immigration views but actually a lot of my views would be quite left wing for example I support free healthcare and education, I am against the privatisation of state assets and I have an intense dislike of international finace capitalism and globalism.

But I am tarred with the far right brush as firstly I want to feel safe in my country, want to preserve the nations culture, traditions and identity, don't want to be taken for a ride by con artists and I am against a race to the bottom caused by cheap immigrant labour.

In fact I would actually regard it as quite a left wing stance to be anti immigration which causes a race to the bottom due to cheap labour. Immigrants are willing to work for less, often don't have a family in the country to support or much of a social network so are more flexible to work longer hours. This means less money for hard pressed Irish families.

You articulate my views quite well. I'd add that I'm very liberal on fright policies too. I believe certain recreational drugs can be very beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

*If you are obsessed with nationalism..you are not a moderate
    *If you have distain for human rights.. you are not a moderate
    *If you use a segment of society as public enemies and use said enemies as a unifying cause.. you are not a moderate
    *If you believe in supremacy of the military.. you are not a moderate
    *If you engage in rampant sexism..you are not a moderate
    *If you try and control mass media that disagree with you.. you are not a moderate
    *If you have an obsession with national security.. you are not a moderate
    *If you believe religion and government should be intertwined.. you are not a moderate
    *If you belive corporate power should be protected at all costs while labour power should be suppressed.. you are not a moderate
    *If you have distain for the arts and intellectuals in science.. you are not a moderate
    *If you are obsessed with crime and punishment.. you are not a moderate
    *If you engage in rampant cronyism and corruption.. you are not a moderate

Stephen15 wrote: »

My views would be quite similar to yours. Iv lost count of the amount of times iv been called a racist or a facist on here and other places. Iv had warnings and just came back after a 1 month ban.
    I do think some on here just get on the defensive straight away and don't actually understand what they are talking about. They just go along with the narrative thats fed to them every day by the media. I won't say brainwashed. Conditioned might be a better word. It's all we hear. There is no balance.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    *If you are obsessed with nationalism..you are not a moderate
    *If you have distain for human rights.. you are not a moderate
    *If you use a segment of society as public enemies and use said enemies as a unifying cause.. you are not a moderate
    *If you believe in supremacy of the military.. you are not a moderate
    *If you engage in rampant sexism..you are not a moderate
    *If you try and control mass media that disagree with you.. you are not a moderate
    *If you have an obsession with national security.. you are not a moderate
    *If you believe religion and government should be intertwined.. you are not a moderate
    *If you belive corporate power should be protected at all costs while labour power should be suppressed.. you are not a moderate
    *If you have distain for the arts and intellectuals in science.. you are not a moderate
    *If you are obsessed with crime and punishment.. you are not a moderate
    *If you engage in rampant cronyism and corruption.. you are not a moderate

Well I guess based on that, I'm a moderate indeed.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    My views would be quite similar to yours. Iv lost count of the amount of times iv been called a racist or a facist on here and other places. Iv had warnings and just came back after a 1 month ban.
    I do think some on here just get on the defensive straight away and don't actually understand what they are talking about. They just go along with the narrative thats fed to them every day by the media. I won't say brainwashed. Conditioned might be a better word. It's all we hear. There is no balance.

I agree, same as you. All these looneys can do is smear with meaningless words. In fact they are doing the government's work for them, and are weak and cannot think for themselves.

I've lived iand worked n Latvia, and Malaysia in recent years. Both a breath of fresh air. I noticed that in the west hedonism is our new religion. However in so called backward countries they appear to be more in tune with nature socially, as they haven't been infected with Marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Isn't that quite a large generalisation right there?

The Left-Right spectrum is BS, and always will be, but there are people who see themselves as left-libertarian and as right-libertarians.

I agree, same as you. All these looneys can do is smear with meaningless words. In fact they are doing the government's work for them, and are weak and cannot think for themselves.

I've lived iand worked n Latvia, and Malaysia in recent years. Both a breath of fresh air. I noticed that in the west hedonism is our new religion. However in so called backward countries they appear to be more in tune with nature socially, as they haven't been infected with Marxism.

One thing I do know is that when some people see this tomorrow this thread is going to turn into a shït show. The usual posters will be along to call us Hitler.

One thing I do know is that when some people see this tomorrow this thread is going to turn into a shït show. The usual posters will be along to call us Hitler.

Yep, I'll probably get warned/banned etc. This new left ideology does worry me. Its turning our society sick. People are not being treated fairly. The green counsellor Hazel Chu was condemning 'nazi' salutes on RTE recently, another strategy to condition the sleeping masses. In reality it's a false narrative people are being fed to quell dissent. There was no genuine nazi salutes, but only an orchestrated one by a scum element in the hard left. I know their names, but I wont say as I'll get banned.

The debunking is on YouTube for all to see. Look at gearoid Murphy's channel, a very decent, rational guy.

• Advertisement

Straight away you try to slander and ridicule. I've obviously triggered you. They are moderate. Both are Patriots putting their own above all else. Far right is being openly racist, or hating homosexuals.

Before you predictably go 'But they racist", show me evidence of such.

'Triggered' - why do I get the feeling that before the night's out, somebody is going to call me a 'cuck'?

If you think Farage and Trump are 'moderate', then I'm afraid your view is warped. They certainly appeal to racists and the sort of imbeciles who think that patriotism is about keeping others out, but I'd be inclined to view them as cynical opportunists above all else. A pair of snake-oil salesmen who saw a gap in the political market.

'Triggered' - why do I get the feeling that before the night's out, somebody is going to call me a 'cuck'?

If you think Farage and Trump are 'moderate', then I'm afraid your view is warped. They certainly appeal to racists and the sort of imbeciles who think that patriotism is about keeping others out, but I'd be inclined to view them as cynical opportunists above all else. A pair of snake-oil salesmen who saw a gap in the political market.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. However let's deal with facts. Show me evidence of their far right policies, instead of calling me names like in the playground. It appears to me that the new left just name call to shut down debate, people are wise to it now though thankfully.

Yep, I'll probably get warned/banned etc. This new left ideology does worry me. Its turning our society sick. People are not being treated fairly. The green counsellor Hazel Chu was condemning 'nazi' salutes on RTE recently, another strategy to condition the sleeping masses. In reality it's a false narrative people are being fed to quell dissent. There was no genuine nazi salutes, but only an orchestrated one by a scum element in the hard left. I know their names, but I wont say as I'll get banned.

The debunking is on YouTube for all to see. Look at gearoid Murphy's channel, a very decent, rational guy.

I know who they are too. The vast vast majority of people don't know anything about them but get their news from rte so they will have heard that people were making Nazi salutes in Dublin. Doesn't sound good.

Crazy that this chap hasn't been identified by either group. It would put this to bed.
    Obviously one side knows who he is and isn't saying anything.
    Looks like a plant to me

Well I guess based on that, I'm a moderate indeed.

You said Trump is a moderate, based on that list he clearly isn't.

Also far right isn't defined by hating homosexuals or being racist. It's much broader than that.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You said Trump is a moderate, based on that list he clearly isn't.

Also far right isn't defined by hating homosexuals or being racist. It's much broader than that.

Show me evidence to the contrary. He is a patriot who loves his country and wants to keep illegals out.

Hitler was obsessed with nationalism, President Trump is not.

I know who they are too. The vast vast majority of people don't know anything about them but get their news from rte so they will have heard that people were making Nazi salutes in Dublin. Doesn't sound good.

Crazy that this chap hasn't been identified by either group. It would put this to bed.
    Obviously one side knows who he is and isn't saying anything.
    Looks like a plant to me

Do me a favour and watch gearoids video, its brilliant.

Yes, I agree. Most folk still follow RTE like it's a credible source of info.

The nazi salute guy was prob draughted in from England apparently the left did the same when Lauren southern was in Ireland.

Do me a favour and watch gearoids video, its brilliant.

Yes, I agree. Most folk still follow RTE like it's a credible source of info.

The nazi salute guy was prob draughted in from England apparently the left did the same when Lauren southern was in Ireland.

Iv watched a video made up of clips of the day. How the photographer moved him into position , took the photo and off he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I actually think the opposite, I like Trump and Farage.

Then you wouldn't be considered moderately right wing but far right wing.

There is still a moderate middle ground in Ireland. I think I would consider myself part of that group.

I think both extremes of right and left are damaging. I would consider Trump extreme. I would also consider Corbyn or Cortez extreme. I wouldn't consider any out of the three of them suitable for leadership.

I find people on the left or the right both think my position is bad.

Extremism is the enemy in my view.

Show me evidence to the contrary. He is a patriot who loves his country and wants to keep illegals out.

Hitler was obsessed with nationalism, President Trump is not.

Hitler was a maniac. Not being a total genocidal lunatic doesn't mean you are automatically a moderate.

Trump has used immigrants and muslims, made them enemy of America and unified a cause around them. He even used American born women of Hispanic and Muslim decent the other week in an attempt to portray them as enemies of America.

He is obsessed with national security ie build a wall, ban muslims from entering, sending army to border.

He is obsessed with crime and punishment including wanting death penalty in non death penalty state for central park 5 and telling police not to go easy on suspects. This despite the fact the us police are already extremely heavy handed even on young kids you shoplift a $1 toy and us has the highest prison population on the planet per capita.

Has Trump tried to control the narrative of the mass media? Has he continually called all non positive news stories about him fake..yes or no

Trump gave massive tax cuts to corporations and top 1% even though are richer than any time in history thus ensuring corporate power is stronger than any time in US history next decade.

Does Trump have distain for Hollywood, scientists who deal in climate issues. Has he not been slashing scientific advisory committees.

Has he not employed his daughter and son in law in high ranking positions and being sued for multiple forms of corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

They all hate Trump, populism, Farage etc. I actually think the opposite, I like Trump and Farage...
    I certainly admire aspects of Trump but on Trump, do you accept that he has been useless/incompetent?
    That he has not "drained the swamp" - but made it worse?
    That he is wrong on climate change and just pettily bad in his moves to allow the extinction of endangered animals?
    That he lies most of the time and is not very bright shall we say and a narcissistic bully?
    That he was very wrong in relation to Iran and at least kinda incompetent in relation to North Korea?
    That his tariff war has been ineffective ( so far), badly sold to the Americans (i.e. he lied about its limited effects on them) and damaging to US long term interests and will bring forward a recession?
    That he has further degraded American democracy and institutions?
    That he and his family are nepotistic and kinda corrupt?

On Farage, again he has some admirable qualities as a politician but do you agree that he mostly lies? That he has shady dealings with and funding from foreign actors? That mostly what he did in the EU parliament is for show / YouTube clips - lowest attendance aside from Brian Crowley, almost never showed up at fisheries committee (his role) - despite claiming to care about fishermen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement