Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Scotland

• 16-08-2019 9:16am

This thread might be overkill, but it's the silliest of silly seasons in the Rugby calendar so why not.

Scotland are likely our biggest pool rivals. Interestingly this post I read recently suggests that Japan are within the margin of error for giving Scotland a potential upset based on a home advantage of +3 and the two teams world ranking differential. I haven't looked at it critically so it could be bollox.

France generally play their best after they onboard new coaches which they've recently done. I honestly think they are the most predictable and poorly drilled national side in upper tier world rugby and just by injecting some uncertainty into how they will play makes them slightly more competitive for a few weeks every couple of years.

The Teams are as follows:

2lJAkCq.jpg

CAMPD8I.jpg

Expectation

I think this is going to be an interesting fixture. We haven't seen much structured play from any of the Northern Hemisphere teams so far, most if not all of the scores in the England v Wales game came after at least five phases with outliers like the overthrow and Davies break producing scores in loose play.

Scotland and France thrive on loose play and whilst Scotland produce plenty of scores from the set piece they are a strong counter attacking team and kicking team and will be in full flight tomorrow evening.

The size of the French pack always troubles Scotland and whilst the Scots are technically impressive on the deck they won't have the power to live with France in a tight forward driven contest.

I think Scotland are a better team, are better coached and probably fitter. I think France are more physical and whilst blunt can be a highly effective type of blunt.

I'm excited to see both sets of midfields, Taylor Jones v Fofan Ficou should be fascinating and worth tuning in for. Medard getting a start at fullback is also interesting, huge amount of experience and terrific handling but not much pace anymore.

Not sure what way the bookies are calling this but I think France will have enough provided they dominate the opening 50 minutes. You can't ignore Scotland's away form and whilst you can't ignore France's form in general, this is the worst time to be playing them as Townsend will have little insight into the type of rugby and shape they will deliver on Saturday.

France 26 | 24 Scotland

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

first off, i dont think that japan having a chance against Scotland is bollox at all. i think their game as the closer of Pool A will determine who comes out of the group.

on this game.... i just cant wait to see Raka absolutely thunder over Graham again and again :)
    Raka has about 3" and 2 stone on Graham.

France typically have very very good individual players, but consistently seem to have a problem playing with any sense of consistence of tactic or overarching style. They can go from being unplayable (1st half v wales) to being completely inept (2nd half v wales) in a blink of an eye.

i dont think the French will particularly be worried about the result as long as they gel as a team.... and if they do that, they should have enough for the scots.

Then again, its the first hit out for both teams in a few months, so like last weekend, there will be lots iof mistakes and errors, and i think that will suit the french' more haphazard style leading to some sharp counter attack scores.

France by 8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Substitute Ntamack for Lopez and Ramos for Medard, and you have an extremely exciting 9 thru 15. Presumably Fickana will be their starting centre's at the RWC? If this was a tournament match and not a warm-up, it could be a belter!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hopefully Taylor goes well he’s had a horrible run of injuries.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

razorblunt wrote: »
    Hopefully Taylor goes well he’s had a horrible run of injuries.

Substitute taylor for lopez

Premier Sports presenter is an awful clown, just pretty much shât all over the product here when Killock and Visser were trying to give it meaning.

Mcinally as captain is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

France try after about 100 seconds....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

That Raka lad is a beast

I dont know what Scotland were practising all summer but it certainly wasn't lineouts

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Channel is this on?

• lawred2 wrote: »
    Channel is this on?

Anyone got a link for this match

• Advertisement

Premier 1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

lawred2 wrote: »
    Channel is this on?

Premier Sports.
    Think they are showing all the Scotland warm-up matches

Anyone got a link for this match
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

razorblunt wrote: »
    Premier 1

That's me out

• None of my streams work.

Not missing a huge amount, unlike Lopez’s goal kicking. France look decent and well drilled. Scotland are all over the place. Owens missed a probable red card whilst he was looking right at it.

Great French try!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Scotland have given up.

• France were pretty good there. They look reasonably fit and well motivated. They didn't create much through the phases but had enough of a platform from their ball carriers and that gave them some space which led to line breaks.

That's a poor first game from Scotland. They'll be disappointed with that and need to show home form now or they'll be answering tough questions before they are on route to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scotland were a better coached side under Cotter. They played some beautiful rugby, but we're overmatched up front so never threatened for honours.

Now they're still munched up front but play so little of that attacking rugby.

• Advertisement

France were pretty good there. They look reasonably fit and well motivated. They didn't create much through the phases but had enough of a platform from their ball carriers and that gave them some space which led to line breaks.

The rumours are that post WC coach Fabien Galthie is running the show already.
    They look far better than they did during the Six Nations.
    If they can replicate the performance away to Scotland next weekend, they could be a suprise force in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

ongarite wrote: »
    The rumours are that post WC coach Fabien Galthie is running the show already.
    They look far better than they did during the Six Nations.
    If they can replicate the performance away to Scotland next weekend, they could be a suprise force in Japan.

And let them be.
    If they were, then one of England or Argentina doesn't make the quarters. That would be fun!

No world Cup winners on view in Nice tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought France had improved their periods of flair and fluid running/offloading but they are still the same France and left loads of gaps that a hesitant and at times shambolic Scotland couldn't exploit. Hard to know what either will be like in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

French wings looked impressive especially Penaud who has been tearing up defences in Pro 14 for Clermont.

Clegg wrote: »
    Scotland were a better coached side under Cotter. They played some beautiful rugby, but we're overmatched up front so never threatened for honours.

Now they're still munched up front but play so little of that attacking rugby.

Very much so. He had just gotten then a decent upward trend too. All due to Townsend indicating he’d be off to France post Glasgow.

He’s tried to implement a Glasgow-lite approach but trying to do that with Laidlaw is a non runner, arguably Horne the pick of the 9s is their form player but none of the 3 have a consistent run there.

Not sure why the captaincy was moved to McInally away from Barclay too. Unless it’s already a made decision that Laidlaw will be straight in at 9 and captain.

Advertisement