Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does running actually cost?!

• 16-08-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭

Bit of fun!

A lot of people will claim that running is great and basically free.

I got to thinking about how much running really costs. (Inspired by working out how much each nappy change costs me!)

Everyone is different and this is not meant to be a 'sure you don't' need x, y or z'

I've worked out that each of my long runs cost €4.25 and my midweek runs cost €1.77
    Breakdown: Asics cost me €120 and will be worn for 5 runs per week for 20 weeks= €1.20 per wear
    Long runs; Use 1 scoop of Tailwind at a cost of 90 cent & 1 gel at a cost of €2 approx.

Shorter runs; Use a zero tab at a cost of 22 cent
    One full wash of all gear costs 22 cent per week.

Have not included my Garmin, race entries, buying gear etc.

I thought it was an interesting thing to think about on my long run this morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I've worked it out kind of differently and based it over the whole year:
    Shoes  € 240.00  
    Gear  €   40.00  
    Races  € 300.00 2x marathons and several other races
    Garmin  €   50.00 250 over 5 years
    Physio  € 200.00 Estimate
    Gels  €   50.00  
    Protein  €   45.00  
     € 925.00

[/td]

[/tr]

This gives me a total of €925 not including traveling to races and all the extra food I eat. I will do approx 1700 miles this year so that works out at 55 cent per mile ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Interesting topic.

I don't use tailwind, gel's or zero tabs and my weekly long run is around 20k. If I was doing marathon training I’d need them but don’t currently.

Not a member of a club.

So it's down to gear. Think my last pair of runners were only €60 (sale) and covered 1000k ish. That's 6 cent per km. A par costing €120 (and most likely my next pair) would be 12 cent per km and inline with your runs. T-shirt, shorts are pretty cheap and last ages. I’ve no problem using the free t-shirts you get at races for easy runs. At a wild guess I’d spend €150 on socks, shorts and tops in a year? Could be a lot more or less as I really don’t know. 22 cent on washing based on your calc.

The big cost is my new Garmin F245 (€299) and chest HRM (€48). The old Garmin F25 lasted 6 years and still works so say the new one lasts 4 years and I do 2000k each year. That’s 4.5 cent per km.

I’m looking at per km
    €0.006 Washing
    €0.075 Clothes
    €0.090 Shoes
    €0.045 Garmin
    Almost €0.22 per km. So a 10k easy run this evening will cost me €2.20 which is more than I thought it would be for a free sport. Still cheap. If my watch breaks before 4 years or I need supplements as part of marathon training costs also go way up.

Race entries and traveling to races is what would really push up costs but are variable and hard to quantify. I came second in a small local race recently and the cash prize barely covered the entry and petrol. Include the fact I lost my hoodie at it and it was an expensive race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Add on a couple of grand if you do the NYC marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Interesting thread.

I'd be curious to know if there was a cheaper sport than running. Coming from triathlon I would have thought running was "basically free" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Yermander wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

I'd be curious to know if there was a cheaper sport than running. Coming from triathlon I would have thought running was "basically free" too.

Running is basically free, people make it expensive. With Tri and cycling and such, money gives competitive advantages but not really with running. I was away for the last few days with no gear and decided to run on Wednesday. Just went to the beach, tossed my clothes on the pier and ran barefoot and with a pair of swimming shorts on. No fancy footwear, no gels or carb drinks, no Garmin or watch or expensive tech shirts or shorts. The only cost was time and I'd struggle to justify that as a cost because it felt fookin amazing.

• Advertisement

Fusitive wrote: »
    Running is basically free, people make it expensive. With Tri and cycling and such, money gives competitive advantages but not really with running. I was away for the last few days with no gear and decided to run on Wednesday. Just went to the beach, tossed my clothes on the pier and ran barefoot and with a pair of swimming shorts on. No fancy footwear, no gels or carb drinks, no Garmin or watch or expensive tech shirts or shorts. The only cost was time and I'd struggle to justify that as a cost because it felt fookin amazing.

That’s a one off. You can’t leave your front door and run barefoot every other day. At a minimum you need cheap runners and you still have to wash whatever you wear on returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Dudda wrote: »
    That’s a one off. You can’t leave your front door and run barefoot every other day. At a minimum you need cheap runners and you still have to wash whatever you wear on returning.

Why can't you? It's literally the way I run all the time now because it's the only way I can run without excruciating calf pain. Last week, I ran 46 miles barefoot with two workouts, a sprint workout and a session of diagonals all on grass barefoot. I never wear a watch and I make my own carb drinks at home. That's honeslty what I do now. Running can be basically free or cost 1000's a year depending on what you do. That's up to each person and what they want, I've no gripes with what anyone else does. It's not even because of money or been tight.

I run barefoot because it's the only time I can with only minimal pain and it's more enjoyable. On grass because XC is my favourite surface and sport.
    I don't wear a Garmin because it drives me nuts and I strongly believe effort is a better measure than pace.
    I make my own rehydration carb drinks because it's easier and can be made in a second rather than the hassle of buying bulk gels and drinks.
    I don't buy tech gear because I've a whole wardrobe worth of race T-shirts.

Fusitive wrote: »
    Why can't you?
    Your right. I was thinking of the sandy beach and going for a swim after in the sea as a wash. Very few have a sandy beach outside their front door.

EDIT: As for the free t-shirt you’d have paid a bit in race entries over the years like others I presume. It's still dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Presumably, each run is saving you money if you measure the small cost for each run, versus what it would cost for a gym membership/bicycle/GAA membership and related*

*assuming that running was your primary/only form of sporting activity; if not, the argument still probably holds true, only not to the same extent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You've to wash all your clothes. Less often, perhaps but it's still just a basic part of owning clothes. I certainly wouldn't consider it a running (no pun intended) cost of participating in a hobby.

I certainly consider running an almost free sport. I don't use gels, tabs, supplements etc. Granted I run very short distances but my SiL is a marathon runner and also doesn't bother with any of the above except during an actual marathon.

One pair of runners a year, couple of decent sports bras & pairs of leggings and bob's yer uncle.

I used to scuba dive on a recreational basis and let me tell you, that was expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Don't forget the divorce costs!

All said... running can cost as much or as little as you want it to cost. Personally, I've done running for a good few years now and I've found the shorts and t-shirt I like, and I wear them to death.. runners I change every 5-600miles but sometimes I see a nicer pair, but in general I have stuck to Mizuno for years and recently started to use Adidas Ultra Boost... so more money.

If you get into using a coach etc then costs can rack up. Clubs don't cost too much and that may get you access to a coach.. money saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Suggestion: make your own gels.

Buy a pouch (~10 euros)
    2 x table spoon of honey (cheap stuff is fine, not going after taste just the sugars, 25c)
    0.5 x tea spoon of molasses (5c)
    pinch of salt (0c)
    mix with some strong coffee to make liquid (15c).

So 1 gel is ~45c, which saves you 1.50 a pop and produces less waste. Pouch is free after 7 gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I've worked it out kind of differently and based it over the whole year:
    Shoes  € 240.00  
    Gear  €   40.00  
    Races  € 300.00 2x marathons and several other races
    Garmin  €   50.00 250 over 5 years
    Physio  € 200.00 Estimate
    Gels  €   50.00  
    Protein  €   45.00  
     € 925.00

[/td]

[/tr]

This gives me a total of €925 not including traveling to races and all the extra food I eat. I will do approx 1700 miles this year so that works out at 55 cent per mile ran.

That looks about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Whoever is behind the marketing for tailwind in Ireland deserves a pay rise.

Never seen a product so unsuitable to running become so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Djoucer wrote: »

May I ask, with zero agenda, why you think it is so unsuitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Djoucer wrote: »

Why is it unsuitable to running ? Don’t use myself but used a diluted version for hydration .

I spend a small fortune on running , I’m sure it’s a lot cheaper for most people . Running bras ain’t cheap , it’s hard to get decent shorts , I go through a lot of zero , I’m
    Forever signing up for races I don’t do , and I just can’t settle on a decent pair of socks. Iron tablets , magnesium supplements, vitamin d , protein milk . Maybe I have a problem ! The run hub is too close to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Could run naked and barefoot if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

yabadabado wrote: »
    Could run naked and barefoot if you wanted.
    That could be expensive - possible fine of €634 - https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/law-on-public-indecent-exposure-26696631.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Have to get caught first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Itziger wrote: »
    May I ask, with zero agenda, why you think it is so unsuitable?

My guess is that it is because it's a powder. Unless you are an elite who can leave a bottle at a feed station or can reliably place friends and family at designated points on the course you have to mix it as you run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think running can be as expensive as you want to make it.

Running shoes, T-Shirts, Shorts, socks, you can get them cheaply or you can get the latest branded models and that will depend on your costs.

Shorts, T-Shirts etc can be got for €10 or less. Socks, Lidl and Aldi do great running socks for less than €3 a couple of times a year.

You can get the older version of running shoes for €40-€70 if you want.

Then you have races, you can enter cheaper club run races or you can enter more expensive races, but if you run Imra, BHAA, local club races the cost is pretty low.

On the other hand you can enter foreign marathons and include costs like flights and food and weekends away etc.

It really is as expensive as you make it but there is no real need for gels or protein or supplements if you don't want to use them.

You also should look at what would you be spending your money on if you werent running. For me it would be alot more pints, takeaways and things like that.

For me whatever it costs its worth it as my life is so much better with running than without (and I've had plenty of time without running over the last year to compare)

Were you wearing a light blue shirt in Corkagh this morning?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Were you wearing a light blue shirt in Corkagh this morning?

I was!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I was!

Ah feck. I thought it was you and was going to say hello but Lazare from these parts said you were from Lucan Harriers so I figured I was wrong.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah feck. I thought it was you and was going to say hello but Lazare from these parts said you were from Lucan Harriers so I figured I was wrong.

I'm there fairly regularly, I'm sure we'll bump into each other again!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

I used drink about 20 pints of Guinness a week.

Found out u can’t drink that much Guinness and run marathons too.

Therefore running has saved me a small fortune .

20 x 52 x 7 x 4.5 = 32k 😳

Maybe that’s why I have 8 pairs of runners ! They seem cheap 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭plodder

adrian522 wrote: »
    Running shoes, T-Shirts, Shorts, socks, you can get them cheaply or you can get the latest branded models and that will depend on your costs.
    I just checked the retail price of Gel Kayano's, that I use and they're now a mouth-watering €195 in some places, but I've never paid more than 95 for them, and the last two pairs (bought in a Black Friday sale at a UK outlet) were about 70 euro. I wonder does anyone actually pay these crazy retail prices? I'm hard (heavy) on shoes as well, but I'd easily get 1000 miles out of a pair. I still regularly use the t-shirt I had for my first marathon in 2004. Good quality gear lasts. Socks are the only item I seem to buy regularly and they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

tomred1N wrote: »
    I used drink about 20 pints of Guinness a week.

Found out u can’t drink that much Guinness and run marathons too.

Therefore running has saved me a small fortune .

20 x 52 x 7 x 4.5 = 32k 😳

Maybe that’s why I have 8 pairs of runners ! They seem cheap 😀

You worked that out as 20 pints a day. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Murph_D wrote: »
    You worked that out as 20 pints a day. :eek:

The 7 is the number of years of I’ve being running instead of drinking ! If it was days I’d be long dead !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I used to scuba dive on a recreational basis and let me tell you, that was expensive.

Try motocross lol. One of the teens I'm coaching got sucked in by the whole nike 4% thing, he put his life savings into buying a pair, I was half like what the hell, but on reflection I was like well that was what I use to easily blow on a weekend doing motocross.

Advertisement