Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relocating to Galway from Kildare

• 13-08-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi folks, myself and my wife are toying with the idea of selling our house in kildare and moving to galway with our 2 young kids.. I could get a transfer from my current job to the same position in galway city and my wife could get a transfer also, so work isn't an issue.. Has anybody done this and what were your experiences..? Are you happy with your choice? Also what are the commuter towns for galway city preferably out past spiddal direction as anywhere closer would be too expensive.. TIA...

Comments

There are no towns west of Spiddal, only villages. Spiddal isn't even a town.

The main thing to consider is where you will be working.
    If you have to commute across Galway to work it will be a pain.

Are you familiar with the area?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you go west of An Spidéal. the schools will be Irish speaking, so you might need to factor that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

First thing to consider is what side of the city your jobs will be, An Spidéal and further west is grand if you working west of the Corrib, but not the other side of the city,

As others mention, Schools in An Spidéal and further out will be All irish, our kids go to Ros a Mhil, and (while we are not from an Irish speaking background) they picked up the Irish quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

The commute across town is a right pain.

In the longer term the ring road would make this bearable. However, there is "no guarantee" the ring road will go ahead. It is currently awaiting planning permission from An Bord Pleanála, which is due to make a decision later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

u2fanatic wrote: »
    Hi folks, myself and my wife are toying with the idea of selling our house in kildare and moving to galway with our 2 young kids.. I could get a transfer from my current job to the same position in galway city and my wife could get a transfer also, so work isn't an issue.. Has anybody done this and what were your experiences..? Are you happy with your choice? Also what are the commuter towns for galway city preferably out past spiddal direction as anywhere closer would be too expensive.. TIA...

If city isn't an option, take a good look at Athenry or other commuter towns East of the city. Traffic is bad coming in from everywhere but Spiddal would break your heart.
    Very good schools and well connected to public transport and roads.
    Also, when you need to go visit folks etc. you are well on the way leaving from Athenry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Mr Man wrote: »
    If city isn't an option, take a good look at Athenry or other commuter towns East of the city. Traffic is bad coming in from everywhere but Spiddal would break your heart.
    Also, when you need to go visit folks etc. you are well on the way leaving from Athenry.

Athenry reported last week to be the most expensive place in the county for houses

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Tuam is an excellent location

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

bagels wrote: »
    Tuam is an excellent location

Location - yes. Destination? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

The girlfriend is from Kildare. Other than the rain we have here she prefers Galway. Rains is sideways and snow doesn't stick but other than that and the traffic Galway gets the thumbs up from her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

holly8 wrote: »
    Athenry reported last week to be the most expensive place in the county for houses

Most expensive Town in the county.

Oranmore is considerably more expensive.

Athenry gets my vote too if you are working on the same side of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

paddy19 wrote: »
    The commute across town is a right pain.

In the longer term the ring road would make this bearable. However, there is "no guarantee" the ring road will go ahead. It is currently awaiting planning permission from An Bord Pleanála, which is due to make a decision later this year.
    I moved to Galway 15 years ago and they were talking about ring roads then. It might never happen.
    West of Spiddal is very remote, even Spiddal itself is small with narrow roads. Come down and drive around before making any decisions. Broadband, public transport, school size, shops, jobs for your wife, these things need to be looked at carefully. Most important thing is to live same side of city that you work in- crossing in rush hour is horrendous.
    I love Galway but I live 5km from school and workplace and am on same side of city for these so I have a relatively stress free life.

There's a lot of money being pumped into Athenry over the last few years to prep it for growth.

2 brand new secondary schools, each for 1k students, 3rd one to be redeveloped, the primary schools are being redeveloped too.

The water treatment & waste treatment have been /are being upgraded to allow for a surge in the population of the town. Ring road, cycle lane and footpath expansion.

300 homes approved for construction, just waiting on the above upgrades, with another load going through planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You misheard, it's Kinvarra, athenry isn't close to the most expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You misheard, it's Kinvarra, athenry isn't close to the most expensive

Advertisement