Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to Belfast: Car, train, or bus?

• 16-08-2019 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I am going to Belfast City Centre tomorrow for one night, and I was initially tempted by the train because I thoughts perhaps I could do some work on my laptop on the journey. The bus also appeals for similar reasons, though perhaps a bit cramped.

I will be starting from Sandyford, and it seems like it could take me an hour or more to get from there into Dublin City Centre tomorrow to catch the train or bus - and if I were to just take the car I could be halfway there.

Perhaps there is a bus service closer to Sandyford, or some way to make the public transport option better, or maybe car is just the best way to go here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

2hrs 5 minutes by the M50,M1.
    I can't see any other mode of transport coming close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭KevRossi

For speed it's the car, but it@ll be slightly more stressful with driving, parking etc.
    Train is best for less stress, option to work/relax and it's a nice journey as well with plenty to see out of the windows.

I used to drive that route, now I take the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

vandriver wrote: »
    2hrs 5 minutes by the M50,M1.
    I can't see any other mode of transport coming close.

I feel like I am on episode of Top Gear :) But yes, it is faster!
    KevRossi wrote: »
    For speed it's the car, but it@ll be slightly more stressful with driving, parking etc.
    Train is best for less stress, option to work/relax and it's a nice journey as well with plenty to see out of the windows.

I used to drive that route, now I take the train.

I just checked a return ticket from Connolly and it's €19.99 which seems very reasonable. Is there somewhere to park at the train station, and is it just as reasonable?

I am trying to book a hotel or airbnb on a budget, and having the car opens up more locations. If I had been able to organise this sooner I probably would have been able to get the Premier Inn or somewhere else central for €40, so not so much of an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not sure if it's still the case, but as of last Friday anyway train passengers were being bussed from Newry to Dublin - so if you're leaning towards the train, check it's actually running!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I will be starting from Sandyford, and it seems like it could take me an hour or more to get from there into Dublin City Centre tomorrow
    sandyford to stephen's green is (IIRC) 22 minutes on the luas. maybe half an hour to get to o'connell street, at a guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not sure if it's still the case, but as of last Friday anyway train passengers were being bussed from Newry to Dublin - so if you're leaning towards the train, check it's actually running!

Yes, still in place. To the 23rd I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

I find Dublin Coach .ie quite good for that journey. Usually cheaper than the train and it is direct to Belf city centre.

Based in Sandyford myself and I get the Luas to Westmoreland St, then walk to Custom House

Etap hotel, on Dublin Rd. Cheap as chips

I find Dublin Coach .ie quite good for that journey. Usually cheaper than the train and it is direct to Belf city centre.

Based in Sandyford myself and I get the Luas to Westmoreland St, then walk to Custom House

Etap hotel, on Dublin Rd. Cheap as chips

So I am as bit off topic here, but just looking at Etap since you mentioned cheap as chips:

IT95A8m.png?1

So its €43 if I book today, but if I book tomorrow, which is when I am actually going, the price jumps to €150.

I am guessing this is because they have rooms they want to fill. Should I just wait until early tomorrow morning to book somewhere, and if so is there a particular time of the morning I should wait until? I could always use the laptop when I am halfway there.

Ideally looking for something in or close to the Titanic Quarter.

If I am looking at Airbnbs outside of the city centre, and end up taking the car, apologies if this is ignorant, but are there parts of Belfast one should avoid with an ROI reg?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So its €43 if I book today, but if I book tomorrow, which is when I am actually going, the price jumps to €150.
    no, it's €43 *cheaper*, not actually €43.

• Advertisement

no, it's €43 *cheaper*, not actually €43.

My bad! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Its a terrible hotel btw

the easy hotel or a premier inn may be a better option, or the Ramada at St Annes Square i have found to be excellent in quality and location, plus its beside a car park

i generally find out you get better deals on the day as they are looking to shift the rooms,

i have a referral link for booking.com where you will get £15 back after you stay OP if you want me to PM it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I head up regularly for various reasons.

Car is by far the fastest for me if you are not going CC to CC. The bus is really great and cheap. It is also as fast, if not faster than the train. It is rarely full (I have always had two seats to myself).

Also watch that the train is crap at the moment. Train to Newry for a bus to Belfast, so you get about 60% by train and then onto the road anyway.

In terms of having an ROI reg, never had any problems, but avoid Shankhill, Sandy Row which are close to CC. But otherwise should be fine.

The drive is straightforward. My favourite pit stops are at Strandfield (Carlingford Exit) or Hillsborough close to Belfast. You also have 3 x Applegreens on the main road on the way - Julianstown, Castlebellingham and Lisburn for a quick pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Frankie and Benny's in Lisburn is a nice spot too. If you want to do some shopping it's easier to park and not as chaotic as Newry.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Frankie+%26+Benny's/@54.4929304,-6.0594561,455m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48610484b9addd4b:0xd7c32413b1e6a468!8m2!3d54.4929273!4d-6.0572674

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If you're worried about parking, park somewhere here and ramble over to get the train into the CC. All free here.

https://goo.gl/maps/vMKWeg87Q8wtTvYeA

A very nice area, not a hint of trouble there. Belfast is generally very very safe and doesn't have the air of scumbaggery that Dublin has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I just checked a return ticket from Connolly and it's €19.99 which seems very reasonable. Is there somewhere to park at the train station, and is it just as reasonable?
    !

That's a one way fare. You need to select your return leg as well to arrive at the full fare. There are some non flexible train fares at €17.99 per leg

For what it's worth your rule of thumb is that the bus is cheaper, the car is more flexible and the train is roomier. Driving has two tolls en route as well, while rush hour driving in Belfast can be hairy at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

FWIW the train if you are going to central Belfast or anywhere onward served by train like Ballymena then the train is ideal in my view as you can work all the way. Driving the NI bit of the M1 can get exciting with all the right hand exits and entrances and cross traffic so I much prefer train if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

That's a one way fare. You need to select your return leg as well to arrive at the full fare. There are some non flexible train fares at €17.99 per leg

For what it's worth your rule of thumb is that the bus is cheaper, the car is more flexible and the train is roomier. Driving has two tolls en route as well, while rush hour driving in Belfast can be hairy at the best of times.

While I wouldn't necessarily call it hairy, Belfast's wierd one way system and NI's dislike if telling drivers which lane to take at a junction can make life.... interesting....

Also worth nothing thst taxis in Belfast are ludicrously cheap compared to the likes of Dublin, so don't worry too much about being on a public transport route (though the bus service is reasonably comprehensive, if unreliable at peak times.)

Advertisement