Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow play is killing golf

Options
  • 11-08-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

This needs to be taken seriously at all levels of the game. Most US pros afraid to say boo to De Chambeau for his latest carry on.
    Time for the US PGA to act with shot penalties.
    Slow play is one of the main reasons I gave up my membership a few years ago. Anyone bothered about this issue here?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree. Bryson isn't the only one guilty by any means but he has a cheek to say he isn't slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It would be great if Sky or someone else started a time per shot stat

Probably not in the interest of PGA to have all the evidence

There has been a commotion before and it just eventually went away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Until the day they start dishing out penalties to top players it’ll continue to happen. No point in giving penalties to journeymen if top players get done. Not even doing that. Good to see some players coming out about it but Bryson comments should be taken and given out to them.

Is their an official rule on slow play on time? If not then one should be written

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tbf, a man of Brook's stature has little to fear from someone like bryson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

patob wrote: »
    This needs to be taken seriously at all levels of the game. Most US pros afraid to say boo to De Chambeau for his latest carry on.
    Time for the US PGA to act with shot penalties.
    Slow play is one of the main reasons I gave up my membership a few years ago. Anyone bothered about this issue here?

My main problem with golf. Pros taking so long encourages everyone else to.

Do pros not have someone from the tour with them for the round. Give him a stop watch and let him time them. Its an easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

From PGA tour twitter feed just now: We're exploring adjustments to our current pace-of-play policy.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

From PGA tour twitter feed just now: We're exploring adjustments to our current pace-of-play policy.

LOL

Just came to post that. This could be fun now

I’d love the day if someone turned to Woods and said sorry Eldrick you’ve got a shot penalty for slow play.

Do that and they’ve solved so play

Trampas wrote: »
    I’d love the day if someone turned to Woods and said sorry Eldrick you’ve got a shot penalty for slow play.

Do that and they’ve solved so play

Tiger is actually regarded as being one of the quicker players on tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

By Bryson "The Rocket" DeChambeau and Jason "Exocet" Day perhaps?

More a figure of speak than anything.

They’d hammer a journeyman as no back lash but they do someone like woods they’d be afraid of it.

Trampas wrote: »
    More a figure of speak than anything.

They’d hammer a journeyman as no back lash but they do someone like woods they’d be afraid of it.

I agree with you there. Prime example of that was when they penalised that young Asian amateur player in the Masters a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The twitter drama over slow play continues. Now it’s Phil saying green books don’t slow play down at all. Says they are needed to speed up play.

Luke Donald disagreed and we have another little spat on our hands. This time Eddie Pepperal tried to play peacekeeper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They should let them all use range finders and immediately it would be faster.
    I honestly dont see the difference between lasering it and pacing it out (other than lasering it being far quicker of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

GreeBo wrote: »
    I honestly dont see the difference between lasering it and pacing it out (other than lasering it being far quicker of course)

I agree, the distance they are from the hole is a matter of fact, how they find out the distance shouldn't matter.

Would speeding up the play mean more camera crews required though to see every shot?

I think slow play in local clubs isn't that much of an issue. some of the issue I think is that lads have gone around in 3 or 3.5 hours for a 3 ball and they expect to go around at this pace every week. I know someone who if you ask him how did he get on he will tell you how long it took him before he tells you the score. Obsessed with going around as fast as possible. My club has a lot of older members and they just cant do this pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

etxp wrote: »
    I agree, the distance they are from the hole is a matter of fact, how they find out the distance shouldn't matter.

Would speeding up the play mean more camera crews required though to see every shot?

I think slow play in local clubs isn't that much of an issue. some of the issue I think is that lads have gone around in 3 or 3.5 hours for a 3 ball and they expect to go around at this pace every week. I know someone who if you ask him how did he get on he will tell you how long it took him before he tells you the score. Obsessed with going around as fast as possible. My club has a lot of older members and they just cant do this pace.

You dont need to be running around and every course should have a target time for 3/4 balls, if you are keeping up with that then there is no problem, but you still need to let people through if you are not keeping up with the group in front.

If you are not able to hit the target time then you need to consider (or have someone else decide for you!) to play outside of peak times (afternoons or in overflows)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

I have been away from golf the last few years and only recently took it back up, I can see both sides of the argument but I thinks it has been blown completely out of proportion as far as us armatures are concerned, first off I don't see the problem with a 4 ball taking 3 and a half to 4 hours to complete a round, I always allow 4 or 4 and a half hours to play if I don't have that amount of time to spare I dont play, I'm not a slow player but it's reality that perhaps a group in frount is slow or maybe a member of our group, I'm guessing the Average club golfers are shooting 80 or 90 strokes a round and we're not as consistent off the tee etc etc, for me there is nothing worse than the feeling of being rushed the whole way around, but on the other hand alot of the pros are just really taking the piss there is no need for alot of the over analysis they carry on with

You dont need to be running around and every course should have a target time for 3/4 balls, if you are keeping up with that then there is no problem, but you still need to let people through if you are not keeping up with the group in front.

If you are not able to hit the target time then you need to consider (or have someone else decide for you!) to play outside of peak times (afternoons or in overflows)

I'm not saying people shouldn't be letting other groups through, im just saying people have an unrealistic time in what they should be going around in. If you are out on a Sunday at peak times you shouldn't be expecting to get around in 3/3.5 hours.

However I did notice recently that the captains prize was taking 4.5 hours for 3 balls and that is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd agree with this, as long as its all done within the stipulated time. You'd still have guys lasering every hump and hollow they can see and/or walking to a spot where they can see everything.

I mean, I know yardages are important (obviously) and I'm not saying go back to playing by sight & feel, but when Bryson had to pace out a 70 yard shot the other day because that area of the course didn't have markings, there's something seriously wrong IMO. If one of the top players in the world can't hit a short shot like that based on what he sees, maybe he needs to look at himself rather than find reasons why he's not slow.

• Advertisement

I was on the course (inside the ropes) at the recent Irish Open.

On Sunday I went out with one of the earlier games, and we flew around on 3 hours and 10 minutes. Both players shot 68.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

etxp wrote: »
    I'm not saying people shouldn't be letting other groups through, im just saying people have an unrealistic time in what they should be going around in. If you are out on a Sunday at peak times you should be expecting to get around in 3/3.5 hours.

However I did notice recently that the captains prize was taking 4.5 hours for 3 balls and that is slow.

I don't think that 3 hours Is realistic for a three or four ball, that's and average of 10 mins per hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you're expecting to get around in 3 hours in a 3 ball on a Saturday or Sunday morning competition you're going to be disappointed and probably highly frustrated. It's not realistic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

copperhead wrote: »
    I don't think that 3 hours Is realistic for a three or four ball, that's and average of 10 mins per hole?

It's not far off though per hole, 12 mins is 3.40 pace with 14 mins over 4.10.

The pace of a course gets slower the later in the day it is as long as u are keeping up with the group in front u can't really do much else.
    For me letting people thru usually delays things further I think there should be more pressure for people to catch up.

If as a 4ball u save 15 seconds each a hole u bring the time down by 18 mins.
    Most courses 4 hours should be max for a 4ball, u have some courses that it's not possible with walks and length of the course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I played a 3ball in 2hrs 55mins on Sunday, we started 35minutes behind the 3ball in front and caught them on 14.
    Previous week was a 2 ball in 2hrs 40mins
    Both days were comp rounds

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

sorry that was a typo, it was meant to say shouldn't :(

slave1 wrote: »
    I played a 3ball in 2hrs 55mins on Sunday, we started 35minutes behind the 3ball in front and caught them on 14.

Those times are achievable if you get a clear course. but peak times on a Sunday, when you aren't first out is going to leave you frustrated if your expecting that pace.

My home course is also a nine hole and there isn't a block on teeing off at a certain time on Sundays to let the early starters through without getting stuck behind on the first tee. Many times we have done a 90 minute front nine followed by a 2.5 hour back nine :(

slave1 wrote: »

Would it be usual that it's not a full time sheet on a Sunday?

Even still that's an extremely quick round, the course must be short/setup to be quick ie, all the cabbage cut - no real hazards?

Simply wouldn't be possible of my track, best I've seen this year was 3hrs 40 minutes. We have water or out of bounds on most holes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

3 hrs 40 is not quick for a 3 ball. 4+ hour rounds of golf are incredibly off putting for somebody thinking of getting back into the game

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    3 hrs 40 is not quick for a 3 ball.

It is in our club were the average 3 ball would be 4 hrs.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement