Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Bunkers

• 14-08-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭

This looks like an interesting idea, and a I think its worth a thread on its own.

How many times do you look up at an apartment and see bikes on the balcony.

For places like Stoneybatter where houses and gardens are small, they could also be very effective.

Some people giving out that the proposed annual cost is greater than a parking permit.

Personally I'd see the cost as a appropriate to encourage people to use it.

If a motorist doesn't use an onroad car park space, someone else can use it. Not the case with these I'd imagine.

https://bikebunkers.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've seen these in Belgium and France. They are not bullet proof given the tools bike thieves carry these days (believe me bike theft is 10-times worse in big cities in continental Europe than in Dublin). I'd use one to store my commuter (value 300 EUR) if I didn't have a secure basement & private storage in my apartment building but my two road bikes are staying in my apartment.

100 a year is too expensive. 50 would be about right if still steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

With a canvas covering, a little insulation and some bedding these would go a long way in tackling the housing crisis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the issue becomes one of insurance too; as you're not storing the bike on your property, the bike wouldn't be covered under contents insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the issue becomes one of insurance too; as you're not storing the bike on your property, the bike wouldn't be covered under contents insurance.

If you name it in your policy it’s covered outside the house. Any bike over 1000 should be named

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not my experience. if you name a bike as insured outside the house, worth more than €1000, it's treated very differently to an item of jewellery of the same value, for example.

case in point - years ago, the cost of just naming my two bikes to be covered outside the house, was more than the cost of the insurance for the entire house and contents (which would cover the same bikes *in* the house).
    even though i tried explaining that only one bike would ever be outside the house, but their systems are not set up to consider that.

• Advertisement

that's not my experience. if you name a bike as insured outside the house, worth more than €1000, it's treated very differently to an item of jewellery of the same value, for example.

case in point - years ago, the cost of just naming my two bikes to be covered outside the house, was more than the cost of the insurance for the entire house and contents (which would cover the same bikes *in* the house).
    even though i tried explaining that only one bike would ever be outside the house, but their systems are not set up to consider that.

Mine added 20 euro to the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

While I do see a use for this expensive for users, difficult for planners and contractors to install and burdensome for the council to administer solution, they're getting ahead of themselves with it.

For years, I used to lock my bike (Specialized Allez) on a Sheffield rack outside my apartment in Dublin 2. I suggest they offer to install Sheffield racks outside people's homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I don't think there is any point in anyone claiming for a bike under house insurance.

I went through the rigmarole last year.

800 euro bike. They were willing to offer me replacement cost....which who knows maybe 300 or 400.

But I would lost no claims bonus so policy would rise by 150 per annum.

It would cost me money to claim.

I get where you are coming from, but I would bet that very few people end up claiming for a bike under house insurance, regardless.

You are far better off just taking out a policy for the bike itself.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any point in anyone claiming for a bike under house insurance.

I went through the rigmarole last year.

800 euro bike. They were willing to offer me replacement cost....which who knows maybe 300 or 400.

But I would lost no claims bonus so policy would rise by 150 per annum.

It would cost me money to claim.

I get where you are coming from, but I would bet that very few people end up claiming for a bike under house insurance, regardless.

You are far better off just taking out a policy for the bike itself.

Bikmo.ie charge 160 a year. You’d be better sticking with household and taking a hit on your no claims.

My policy a claim doesn’t affect the main policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There does appear to be mesh ventilation at either end but I would say the bike would be vulnerable to rusting.

I presume it is operated through an app on your phone so less chance of sharing it among friends or family.

How do the Dublin bikes fare being out in the open all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

bingobars wrote: »
    With a canvas covering, a little insulation and some bedding these would go a long way in tackling the housing crisis

There isn't room to fit homeless people and bikes in these. What a stupid suggestion.

There does appear to be mesh ventilation at either end but I would say the bike would be vulnerable to rusting.

I presume it is operated through an app on your phone so less chance of sharing it among friends or family.

How do the Dublin bikes fare being out in the open all the time?
    They say you are giving a key. So it’s old school.

ted1 wrote: »
    Bikmo.ie charge 160 a year. You’d be better sticking with household and taking a hit on your no claims.

My policy a claim doesn’t affect the main policy.

Bicycle Insurance charge €84 to insure a €1000 bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Has anyone signed up to these?
    I've put in 2 separate requests over the last few weeks via the website and I've heard nothing back. Not even a confirmation email to say the request was recieved.
    There is no contact number on the website either.

There is a bunker really close to me and I'd like to use it. The bunker only has a single bike in it anytime I've passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Has anyone signed up to these?
    I've put in 2 separate requests over the last few weeks via the website and I've heard nothing back. Not even a confirmation email to say the request was recieved.
    There is no contact number on the website either.

There is a bunker really close to me and I'd like to use it. The bunker only has a single bike in it anytime I've passed it.

maybe try tweeting https://twitter.com/DCCbeta

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did you ever manage to get access to one in the end?

We've recently moved to a new house with a small back garden and we'd love to get the bikes out of it - there's a Bike Bunker right beside us that's barely, if ever used and we haven't been having any luck getting access to it at all. (apparently the service is 20 times oversubscribed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Pro2ac

So i have been marching up and down my local area with a vested interest in trying to see if these were being used. I have 3 within quick walking distance of myself, which every time I go for a walk has between 1 - 0 bicycles in them. This includes Mornings before 8 am every week day & evenings after 6pm. So I have been told these are 22 times over subscribed. How is that possible? Also I started applying for a space in June of this year - Beyond an initial rebuff email I have heard nothing. I mean I am sort of struck by how hilarious the whole initiative is..There are no forms of communication/review even available on the website beyond social media which they appear to ignore outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

No, I've not heard a thing.

I'm planning on getting a cargo bike next year so we have decided to sink a land anchor in our front patch and I'll just have to leave the bike to the elements.

Master of the Universe

Thanks a mil for responding - so you're over a year now with nothing from them? That's really ridiculous to be honest.

Yeah our door opens to the street so we don't have any front garden. Half tempted to stick a motorbike type anchor into the front of the house and just leave them tied up there. Beyond sick of dragging the bikes through the house at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

applied 18 months ago for one from the corpo site. still zero response....the two year covid sabbatical keeps giving...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah almost 4 months since my own last post on this and I'm still cycling passed and empty bunker every day beside where I live and then having to drag a wet bike through my house...infuriating.

try your local councillor

Advertisement