Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Council Felling of Trees to facilitate 5G roll out

• 14-04-2019 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Lots of speculation and some people utterly convienced that the council’s recent felling and pruning of trees around the city is all part of the 5G project and that the council are being instructed by central government to get things as 5G friendly as possible. Apparently 5G signals don’t like ‘leaves’......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sounds like a load of hogwash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh please - if that was true then every tree in every town and City would be cut down.

It really is one of those nonsense things that tends to get circulated on Facebook these days. The same story has been repeated elsewhere, complete with fake pictures in some cases. It also features on places that claim phone signals are giving us all cancer and on David Icke stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There are groups all around the world spreading this nonsense. Not just about Waterford obviously. Lots of groups in the UK.

It's worth remembering that the mob phone companies are private companies. Only your local council can cut the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There are groups all around the world spreading this nonsense. Not just about Waterford obviously. Lots of groups in the UK.

It's worth remembering that the mob phone companies are private companies. Only your local council can cut the trees.

The removal of the trees outside the tower hotel sparked the whole thing off from what I can gather....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Lots of speculation and some people utterly convienced that the council’s recent felling and pruning of trees around the city is all part of the 5G project and that the council are being instructed by central government to get things as 5G friendly as possible. Apparently 5G signals don’t like ‘leaves’......

That’s pure bullsh1t. Leaves do not interfere in 5G signal.

How do these people manage to get out the door in the morning with that level of stupidity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

There is a large scale felling of trees around the country but they appear to be alongside roadways. I imagine councils and landowners are preparing for more frequent storms and insurance liabilities. Is a shame to see some great oaks being felled but understandable. Hopefully replacements will be replanted in more appropriate locations

These people would have you convinced that councils are carrying out large scale deafforestation along the scale of what goes on in South America/Brazil/amazon.....any tress being removed by council would probably be 1. In danger of falling 2. Diseased 3. Interfering with sight lines at road junctions 4. Is in the footprint of some public works Contract......I just don’t see the ‘wanton’ removal of trees that they are referring to. If they (council) carry out replacement planting close to the location of knocked tree or in some other area then I don’t see the big deal....? Maybe I’m way off the mark...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It's to do with insane insurance claims and bad tree management in urban areas generally in Ireland.

It's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with 5G.

There's also been a lot of planting of trees inappropriate for the location in the past, which some councils are remedying these days, usually replacing them with something more appropriate.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's also been a lot of planting of trees inappropriate for the location in the past, which some councils are remedying these days, usually replacing them with something more appropriate.

Again these anti 5G people are utterly convinced that any local authority tree maintenance is all part of preparing the land or street scape for 5G roll out....!

5G emits electromagnetic forces/radiation that fries your brain,skin, genetials etc....we r all doomed as a civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Do you think other major cities will cut down their mature trees or lined boulevards for 5G ? It's a load of baloney.

The issue is in Ireland we either make a poor selection of tree choice, or the council does not want to spend to money maintaining them or we dont know how, then there is the fear they will fall in storms/legal cases etc. Other countries just get on with it and have lovely mature trees in their cities. Something we struggle with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Stay away from this anti-5G campaign. Saw that one of them was an anti-vaxer, I was like no way not buying their deceit.

Encouraging people to make signs out of cardboard to oppose destruction of trees. Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

These people would have you convinced that councils are carrying out large scale deafforestation along the scale of what goes on in South America/Brazil/amazon.....any tress being removed by council would probably be 1. In danger of falling 2. Diseased 3. Interfering with sight lines at road junctions 4. Is in the footprint of some public works Contract......I just don’t see the ‘wanton’ removal of trees that they are referring to. If they (council) carry out replacement planting close to the location of knocked tree or in some other area then I don’t see the big deal....? Maybe I’m way off the mark...?

Think there is a push also these days to remove non-native species as well. They are seen as invasive and native species would be better. Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

more likely they are concerned hackers will be able to get "root" access :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Such bizzare and absurd conspiracy theories like this makes you really fear for the current world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

source = facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

lawred2 wrote: »
    source = facebook

Well I never!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

BBM77 wrote: »
    Think there is a push also these days to remove non-native species as well. They are seen as invasive and native species would be better. Makes sense to me.

That had more to do with those Sitka spruce forests which are just a cash crop for Coillte.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Such bizzare and absurd conspiracy theories like this makes you really fear for the current world.

its peddled by people who are usually anti vaxxers or shell2sea conspiracy nuts. They oppose all progress . Usually the telltale signs are the vauge 'it could cause itching, sleeplessness, depression, a runny nose, night sweating' etc.. and then the season changes, everyone gets a cold and they shriek 'look look we were right'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

That had more to do with those Sitka spruce forests which are just a cash crop for Coillte.

I think there is a bit more focus everywhere on what types of trees are suitable for the location they're in, and recognition that unsuitable trees can have a negative impact on the local area.

Think about those who plant ash trees in their gardens near boundary walls and then totally lose control of them. They grow too tall, people try and prune them and then they grow even faster. London Plane trees on urban streets which take away natural light and roots which destroy pavements.

A number of County Councils will have tree strategies, and some people will have noted Fingal Council are actually giving away free native Irish trees at the moment to help encourage pollinating insects - I think they've given away about 1,000.

It seems as though native Irish trees will be planted in Dungarvan to replace the unsuitable and dead trees which were removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think there is a bit more focus everywhere on what types of trees are suitable for the location they're in, and recognition that unsuitable trees can have a negative impact on the local area.

Think about those who plant ash trees in their gardens near boundary walls and then totally lose control of them. They grow too tall, people try and prune them and then they grow even faster. London Plane trees on urban streets which take away natural light and roots which destroy pavements.

A number of County Councils will have tree strategies, and some people will have noted Fingal Council are actually giving away free native Irish trees at the moment to help encourage pollinating insects - I think they've given away about 1,000.

It seems as though native Irish trees will be planted in Dungarvan to replace the unsuitable and dead trees which were removed.

Ah here,,, there's no need for rational explanations. Think of the 5G been blocked by the governments leaves or whatever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Sure if the people protesting 5g just get this they'll be alright. Problem solved.

Had a look at a few face book pages Re the ‘mass tree felling’.......talk about OTT reaction.....if council are doing the replanting as they say they are committed to then I don’t really c a major issue.....reading the face book stuff and comments would have you think that there is amazon scale deforestation taking place.....last time I drove around town I saw 100’s of trees.....the odd stump here and there but for the most part there were still plenty of leaves every where to block the 5G signals so obviously the council has a lot of work to do and is way behind program if it is actually trimming and removing trees to facilitate 5G. :) ......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5G is live as of today, so watch the skies for falling birds and the ground for dying trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

5G is live as of today, so watch the skies for falling birds and the ground for dying trees.

How dare they include Waterford in it as well, along with the other cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

hardybuck wrote: »
    How dare they include Waterford in it as well, along with the other cities.

Have a look at the comments on Wlr's facebook about this,one woman said its going to cause more homelessness because people will have to move out of their homes due to the radiation :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Odelay wrote: »
    That’s pure bullsh1t. Leaves do not interfere in 5G signal.
    Technically, leaves can interfere with or attenuate radio signals. The effect varies by frequency.

Not sure about the whole anti-5G thing though as there are other arguments for removing or pruning trees.

Regards...jmcc

Have a look at the comments on Wlr's facebook about this,one woman said its going to cause more homelessness because people will have to move out of their homes due to the radiation :eek:

I ended up arguing with those nut jobs and then realized "why am I aruging with people so f*cking stupid" and just deactivated Facebook again.

Facebook is a swamp of idiots who think they know more than doctors becuase they watched a YouTube video or people who think they know more about 5G than scientists because they watched YouTube. Urghh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be honest, this 5g scare crew give me more of a headache than 5g ever will.

Advertisement