Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Diamond League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Really delighted to see Lynsey Sharp.

= Geebag!!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

OOnegative wrote: »
    = Geebag!!!

??

Anyway, kinda scary to see how good Jakob is at such a young age. I wonder how good he'll be in 3 or 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Fusitive wrote: »
    Absolutely huge performance for Ciara with a 4:19.03. It'll probably get lost in the placing as 1500/mile is swimming in depth right now. 3.5 second PB and equivalent to 3:59.7 for 1500. She probably went through 1500 tonight at close to or faster than 1500 PB too. Really good sign for her to say the least.

IAAF points tables have Ciara’s mile equivalent to 4:00.7. That’s the best one to go off. She’s not a sub 4 1500 runner tbh. Not yet. She’ll get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Chivito550 wrote: »
    IAAF points tables have Ciara’s mile equivalent to 4:00.7. That’s the best one to go off. She’s not a sub 4 1500 runner tbh. Not yet. She’ll get there.

The mile is so rarely run that the IAAF tables aren't great for conversions on the 1500/mile. I used the NCAA conversion tables. She went through 1500 in 4:01.21, 0.5 is a little slim when it comes to degradation from 1500 to mile.

The mile is so rarely run that the IAAF tables aren't great for conversions on the 1500/mile. I used the NCAA conversion tables. She went through 1500 in 4:01.21, 0.5 is a little slim when it comes to degradation from 1500 to mile.

To show you the problem with the tables when it comes to this.

Yomif Kejelcha Indoor Mile WR(3:47.01)= 1304pts
    Hicham El Gueruouj 1500m WR(3:26.00)= 1302 pts
    Hicham El Gueruouj Mile WR(3:43.13)= 1292pts

Is Yomif Kejelcha's Indoor Mile WR the strongest 1500/mile performance of alk-time?

• Advertisement

Maybe you're right, but it is just an extra 109 metres.

The 0.5 seconds doesn't tell the full story though. How fast did Ciara run the last 109 metres? Was she hanging on after almost being flat out at the 1500 mark, or did she finish like a train (I've no idea as the camera was on Hassan).

To show you the problem with the tables when it comes to this.

Yomif Kejelcha Indoor Mile WR(3:47.01)= 1304pts
    Hicham El Gueruouj 1500m WR(3:26.00)= 1302 pts
    Hicham El Gueruouj Mile WR(3:43.13)= 1292pts

Is Yomif Kejelcha's Indoor Mile WR the strongest 1500/mile performance of alk-time?

I don't think the indoor points are supposed to be compared to the outdoor points. They are separate tables. The same way men's times can't be compared to women's. Again separate tables.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Maybe you're right, but it is just an extra 109 metres.

The 0.5 seconds doesn't tell the full story though. How fast did Ciara run the last 109 metres? Was she hanging on after almost being flat out at the 1500 mark, or did she finish like a train (I've no idea as the camera was on Hassan).

She pretty much dead even split it which is how I could predict her being close to or slightly faster than her PB in that post. You're overthinking it here I think. 109m makes a difference because it takes away your ability to sprint earlier and there is a fatigue factor, it's why people thought it was really bold of Kejelcha to target both records in one race earlier this year.

The problem with the IAAF scoring tables isn't the tables themselves, it's the way people use them that's a problem. They are a competitive equivalence, not a cross referenced time equivalent. Smaller sample sizes from events that have less exposure or people running will create less accurate predictions. They shouldn't be used to predict times, they can be used to say a 12.7 100 guy is as competitive against his peers in his event as a 17:20 5k guy is in his event or whatever(just an example), not that the times are the same.

The NCAA conversion tables for 1500/mile are the opposite, they are not created to illustrate competitiveness, they are created for time equivalance. It seems like a very small difference but it's very important when it comes to getting a time equivalence vs a competitive equivalence. Depth matters more in the IAAF tables, time is matters more in NCAA conversions

This is probably a better way to put it. Why do the IAAF tables get updated and change regularly? Surely a 4:19.03 mile should be equivalent to a 4:00.7 1500 all the time if time was the equivalent factor?

Why does the NCAA mile to 1500 conversion never change and has been the same since the 60's?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Dalilah Muhammad broke the 400m hurdles world record at the US national champs last night with a time of 52.20.

• Advertisement

No Caster Semenya at this year's World Championships after her appeal failed. I imagine this means there won't be any Niyonsaba or Wambui either, so Ajee Wilson should be the big favourite heading into Doha.

Big story of the weekend was Konstanze Klosterhalfen solo running her way to 14:26 at the 5k of the German National Championships. She lapped everyone except the 2nd placed Alina Reh, who finished in the *slightly* slower time of 15:19. Doha shall be very interesting indeed, I'm already excited!

Birmingham entry lists out, including our own Sarah Healy who'll be running against the likes of Klosterhalfen, Debues-Stafford and McColgan in the Women's Mile.

No thoughts on Paris?

Conseslus Kipruto returned to the steeplechase but could only manage 6th with a time of 8:13. Thomas Barr finished last in the 400m hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

No thoughts on Paris?

Conseslus Kipruto returned to the steeplechase but could only manage 6th with a time of 8:13. Thomas Barr finished last in the 400m hurdles.

People seem more interested in speculating about doping than watching the sport!

Good race in men's 1500.
    Warholm brilliant, 400mh at worlds should be great.
    Thought Lyles was fantastic again too.

No thoughts on Paris?

49.32 from Barr though. Good time and getting back into decent form after the injury. Hopefully he can dip under 49 in DL final. He tops the standings so you would hope that will secure him a good lane (not sure if it works like that in DL). A sub 49 would be an excellent platform to take into Doha. Barr's 3 best times (and 6 of his best 8) have come at championships. He has the pedigree to bring it out in Doha, provided he stays healthy. No chance of a medal but he can make a final. So can 15 others though.

Start lists/schedule for tonight, looking forward to it! Hoping for a sub 9 for Emma Coburn in the steeplechase.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Warholm:eek:
    What a race.

Miller-Uibo is such a lovely athlete to watch, real pity she can't double at worlds.

Great meet tonight really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

That 400m hurdles was bloody spectacular. Must watch again later.

As for Miller Uibo...... wow.

The 5,000 metres was an interesting race and that 800 mens!! Jaysus, how far back was the winner with 250 to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I thought the 5,000m was briliant - with 800m to go, I didn't think Cheptegei would be caught and then with 200m to go, I wasn't sure he was going to make it. Both Kejelcha and the commentators seemed to think it was going to be a Kejelcha - Barega head-to-head but, for all of Kejelcha's talent, it's not the first time I've seen him run himself out of a race. You always want the guy who goes with the pace to hold on!

And Dibaba 4th in the women's 1500m, it'll be interesting to see what Klosterhalfen's best event is going to be, she doesn't have a kick but she's still right in the mix at 1500m. But delighted to see Hassan running the way she is at the minute - she's really worked on her endurance the last couple of years and it's paying off. And, as a bonus, she seems to be really popular with all of the other athletes.

• Advertisement

Forgot to post after Friday night.

6th and 9:10 for Coburn in the steeplechase obviousl isn't a good result for her, but fair play for her for having a try of it. Seems she messed up her pacing, she posted on Instagram that she followed the pacer because the pace was "supposed to be 2:56" for the opening kilometre, but it had always been set at 2:53. Seems like an odd mistake to make. I still think she can do sub 9, but not by going out as lightning fast as she did on Friday. Silver/bronze will probably be what she should aim for in Doha I think. Brilliant race by Krause though, 9:07 PB!

Another great night for Hassan, she'll surely run the 1,500 in Doha now? But if she does then she won't be able to do the 5,000, yet she's also been training for the 10,000 all season. Decisions, decisions, can't wait to see what she picks.

Entry lists for tonight, last big one before world's start in three weeks! Most looking forward to the Women's 5,000 metres, eager to see if Hassan can finally get the 5k win over Obiri. I'll also be interested to see if Klosterhalfen will still be in the mix at the business end of the race.

Men's 1,500 should be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭4Ad

2 great races already...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

That was a really good meeting,Doha will be fun there are going to be some amazing races.

Intriguing women's 5k last night, it should put Hassan as the favourite for Doha, if she even chooses to run it. I think Obiri would need to take it out a little faster to take the sting out of the Hassan kick. Of course she's also got Gidey, Klosterhalfen and Tirop to worry about too, the event feels a lot more open then it did just a few weeks ago. From the NOP Instagram page it seems Hassan is currently deciding between the 10k/5k double or the unconventional 10k/1500m for worlds.

Another runner up finish for Jakob. Think I've said this before, and maybe I'm just not understanding the tactics properly, but if Jakob stuck a little bit closer to the leaders and not gave himself so much ground to make up wouldn't he stand a better chance? He always seems to want to catch them on the home straight but I think he's good enough to stay with the leaders throughout. Idk, maybe I'm wrong.

El Bakaali didn't have Kipruto to worry about last night but he still managed to lose. Either way I think he's still the favourite for Doha.

Hassan had never beaten Obiri in her life until last night and then completely obliterates her. Great training going on in NOP clearly!!!

Well she'd never beaten her over 5k, she's beaten her many times previously at shorter distances.

Well she'd never beaten her over 5k, she's beaten her many times previously at shorter distances.

As I said it’s her great training with NOP!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    As I said it’s her great training with NOP!!

What are you insinuating :pac:

• Advertisement

What are you insinuating :pac:

Your clearly a smart person, you know. I’ve zero time for Salazar, he’ll be found out soon enough like Armstrong. I know a certain poster here if there reading will rip me to bits for my opinion but hey, we’ll see who’s correct in years to come. Cheers for the input on the DL over the season btw, kept us all informed.

Advertisement