Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on Mercedes E220 Coupe

• 29-07-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a 2010-12 E220 coupe.Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on them? Reliability,issues, running and repair costs or any opinions ?
    Really like the look of them and looking for something with a bit of comfort after years in a van!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/e-class-coupe-2009/

Not familiar with these cars but had a look on Honest John.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

covey123 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a 2010-12 E220 coupe.Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on them? Reliability,issues, running and repair costs or any opinions ?
    Really like the look of them and looking for something with a bit of comfort after years in a van!

Like yourself, after years of driving different makes of car's , truck's and vans etc. I wanted to "Upgrade". and I looked at a good few car's on Done deal, Carsireland etc. and eventually decided to take chance on a Merc. It was a 2010 E class 2.1 CDI Automatic. I was a little bit apprehensive about it, thinking that if it gave trouble, it could be an expensive fix, being Mercedes Benz.
    Now 19 mths later, very happy with it. Its a big roomy car, and very comfortable, but while it's size make's it so comfortable, the downside is that when it comes to parking, it can be problematic. It's not for the fainthearted in tightly spaced car parks. This is especially true of Coupe's, as their doors are far wider than the Saloon's 4 doors. Fuel consumption varies from 6.76 to 9.38 Ltrs per 100 Klms. ( that includes trailer work, and back road's with frequent gear change's)
    Things to watch for:
    Timing Chain and Sprockets: need checking / replacing in or around the 130'00 - 150'000 Klm. mark.
    Auto transmission fluid and filter need changing every 40'000 Klms. These were originally designed to last the life of the vehicle, no servicing required.....ever,,but it turned out that they do need servicing. If the trans dipstick cap show's an all black colour,,,,it has never been opened or checked. But if it show's a red insert in the black cap, means that at some stage in it's life, it has been opened. Get this checked as it's important.
    A good up to date service history is essential..... no history----no purchase ( unless you are a bit of a gambler.
    There is 220'000 Klms on mine now, and it drives beautiful. I service it myself mainly just engine oil and filter's, every 10'000 Klms, and so far it's working out fine. On the downside, like all rear wheel drive vehicles, in wet weather ( especially after a dry spell ) it tend's to "skip" on the rear end if you are cornering a bit too fast, unlike a front wheel drive car. But this is something you take into account and soon get used to it.
    If you need any more info, feel free to PM me.
    If you do go ahead and purchase, "Good Luck" with it. I have absolutely no regret's about purchasing my one.

Excellent reply, loads of great info, thank you.Will definitely give you a shout if I do bite the bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Covey, by any chance was it one in Askeaton? I'm looking at one this week, and came on to post the same question here!

• Advertisement

No not looking at any one in particular, have tested one but might be another while before I buy.If you purchase yourself would you mind sticking up any feedback here?

100%, hopefully have one by Friday, waiting on the Credit Union. It's a gamble I'm taking, as I've been getting 1k loans for the last 3 years and pissing money away on repairs. I'm splashing on this as I've heard they're bulletproof and I need something bulletproof, to last me at least 3 years now. I'm bricking it, it's either going to make or break me!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Make sure to check main dealer for parts, they are normally cheaper for most service items.

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    Make sure to check main dealer for parts, they are normally cheaper for most service items.

Or check out mercedesbenzofnewcastle or Opie Oils

They often have great deals on service items, even taking in to account the exchange rate ( v-good at the moment) + the costs of An Post , if you have an account with "Parcel Post" ( not sure if I have the name right )

All going well, i'll be picking it up Monday. Will let ye know!

• Advertisement

All going well, i'll be picking it up Monday. Will let ye know!

Best of luck with it !!! and does it have a service history ???

Picked her up yesterday. Full service history from Frank Hogans Mercedes since the day it was sold, every serviced (partial then full, repeat) every 15000 kms (there or thereabouts). She's driving great, couple of noises like rubbing, he reckons it's just the discs releasing after being parked up and will resolve itself. It's got a week or i'm back to him.

Other than that, aside from a handful of small chips/scuffs/marks, the thing is immaculate. Don't think anyone has ever sat in the passenger seat or back, and even the drivers seat still looks new, wheel doesn't look like it has been used (200000+ kms on it), just all around fantastic condition. Just hope the mechanics are as good. €240 for a partial service, €400 for a full, €350 for the transmission oil/filter change. It's not going to be cheap, but it'll be enjoyable.

Only thing that's annoying me is the motor tax. I'm ok with paying more than a manual, it's to be expected, but they have this is the 157-170 range, and everything I'm seeing is that it's well lower than that. I wonder is it like the RX7/8 where they just decide it's in a certain band? Pretty sure the AMG version would be in the lower band. Can this be challenged? I know it's only a couple of quid, but I'd rather have it in my pocket than in the governments.

Picked her up yesterday. Full service history from Frank Hogans Mercedes since the day it was sold, every serviced (partial then full, repeat) every 15000 kms (there or thereabouts). She's driving great, couple of noises like rubbing, he reckons it's just the discs releasing after being parked up and will resolve itself. It's got a week or i'm back to him.

Other than that, aside from a handful of small chips/scuffs/marks, the thing is immaculate. Don't think anyone has ever sat in the passenger seat or back, and even the drivers seat still looks new, wheel doesn't look like it has been used (200000+ kms on it), just all around fantastic condition. Just hope the mechanics are as good. €240 for a partial service, €400 for a full, €350 for the transmission oil/filter change. It's not going to be cheap, but it'll be enjoyable.

Only thing that's annoying me is the motor tax. I'm ok with paying more than a manual, it's to be expected, but they have this is the 157-170 range, and everything I'm seeing is that it's well lower than that. I wonder is it like the RX7/8 where they just decide it's in a certain band? Pretty sure the AMG version would be in the lower band. Can this be challenged? I know it's only a couple of quid, but I'd rather have it in my pocket than in the governments.

Well Wear, the more you drive it, the more you will appreciate it. Takes a bit of getting used to, for sure.Great that you got the full service history,,,,that's worth it's weight in Gold. It should show if / when the timing chain was done, and also the transmission service.
    In my one, the 2010 Saloon 2.1 w212 CDI model, the seat covering ( called "Artico" ) was a known problem...it split along the main stitched seam on the driver's seat. Does your's show any sign of excessive wear like that?? All the other seat's in in mine look just the same as they did coming out od the factory.
    If it's only brake disc's, don't worry, that will clear up quickly. Minor blemishes in the paint would be considered normal at that year. Nothing to worry about, if needed they can be touched up, What colour is it?
    Was 201948 Klm's on mine when I got it, now 220280, so just over 18'000 Klms driven
    Road Tax is €390.00 yearly. Manual or Automatic transmission has nothing to do with the tax bands....it's all about emission's.....is your's a E200, E220, E250, E300, E350?
    The service warning is set at 365 days on mine...or 15'000 Klms using Long Life Oil. Normally, I'd change it at 10'000 Klm's,,,you can get service kit's, ( oil and filter) on line at a pretty good price. The Trans oil and filter change interval is @ 40'000 Klms.

Again " Good Luck" and now, Enjoy the Drive...;););)

Does take some getting used to alright, but nowhere near as much as the 02 E220 Saloon I had. Loved that car and started my love of Mercedes, so delighted to have this now.

I'm waiting on the log book, but I'm pretty sure it's the 2010 E220 CDI Coupe 2.1, auto. And the transmission does appear to affect it. There were 2 2010 E220s there that I was looking at:

E220 CDI Manual - €280py
    E220 CDI Auto - €380py
    E220 CDI Auto Coupe - €570py

Exact same engine in all 3, same type too (CDI BlueEfficiency). Makes no sense, and anything I can read on the internet regarding this car says the emissions should be 137g/km, which puts it into the €280py band. Going to look further into it, but waiting on the log book to get the exact model. Trying to register for My Mercedes too, but don't have the VIN handy to check it. Closest I can find is the E400 Petrol coming in at 161g/km.

Seats in mine are immaculate, no idea what type but there isn't even a blemish on the interior. Even the drivers seat shows very little usage tbh, and with 200k kms I was expecting some wear, but no, previous owner (female) looked after it well. Had someone check the car just now and they believe the scraping sound is a new brake disc just easing into itself. I'll give it a week and if it's still making noise I'll bring it back, as that was the only point I made before agreeing to purchase.

And even the minor blemishes you'd have to look for, you can't immediately see it when checking it out. As you said, some is to be expected on a 9 year old car, but this far exceeds what I was expecting. Probably the cleanest car I've ever owned, and I owned a 02 in 08 (Galant, loved it!).

Road tax on mine is €570, but as I said, I'm going to look into that. Don't have much hopes as it's literally challenging the government, but I'm struggling to find where they got the 167g/km from, even teh AMG versions don't go that high (most of them, some petrol ones do). I've a feeling it's like the RX7/8 where they see a sporty looking car and just up the tax because of it. Who knows! Don't even know where to start tbh, think I'll need to get an emissions test. But going to ask Mercedes for the factory reading too.

I'm really happy to have it, I just hope it doesn't fail on me! Shouldn't with the history and care...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it a convertible? If so, it is probably a fair bit heavier which would raise the emissions.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Is it a convertible? If so, it is probably a fair bit heavier which would raise the emissions.

Nah, standard coupe. I've sent off a few emails, but literally just now saw something saying the CO2 from the coupe is 164 g/km, which would make it correct if it was an E200 petrol.

From the site, for the same 2010 E220 2.1L series (125):

Estate: 175 g/km
    Saloon: 165 g/km
    Cabriolet: 168 g/km
    Coupe, but unsure which is mine:
    - E220 CDI BlueEFF SE Edition 125 2d - 134 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE Edition 125 (SS) 2d - 128 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFF SE Edition 125 (SS) (Pn/Rf) 2d - 128 g/km
    - E220 CDI BEFF SE Edition 125 (Pn/Rf) 2d - 134 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 2d - 142 g/km

Pretty sure it's the first one I have, or the 5th. They're the only CDI E220 models that fit, but none of them are in the 157-170 g/km. I'm at a loss. Even registered for the Mercedes website hoping it would narrow down the model, but nope.

Edit: (SS) is Start/Stop, plus added a couple more to the list of coupes I could find. The highest I could find was 155 g/km and that was an auto 7-speed tiptronic, which I don't have, or the ones with the tiptronic or panoramic sunroof are higher in general, and I don't have them.

It may sound silly complaining about €200-300, it's more principle at this stage. Can't be leaving the gubbernment off like we did with the tax on the RX7/8's!

Nah, standard coupe. I've sent off a few emails, but literally just now saw something saying the CO2 from the coupe is 164 g/km, which would make it correct if it was an E200 petrol.

From the site, for the same 2010 E220 2.1L series (125):

Estate: 175 g/km
    Saloon: 165 g/km
    Cabriolet: 168 g/km
    Coupe, but unsure which is mine:
    - E220 CDI BlueEFF SE Edition 125 2d - 134 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY SE Edition 125 (SS) 2d - 128 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFF SE Edition 125 (SS) (Pn/Rf) 2d - 128 g/km
    - E220 CDI BEFF SE Edition 125 (Pn/Rf) 2d - 134 g/km
    - E220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 2d - 142 g/km

Pretty sure it's the first one I have, or the 5th. They're the only CDI E220 models that fit, but none of them are in the 157-170 g/km. I'm at a loss. Even registered for the Mercedes website hoping it would narrow down the model, but nope.

Edit: (SS) is Start/Stop, plus added a couple more to the list of coupes I could find. The highest I could find was 155 g/km and that was an auto 7-speed tiptronic, which I don't have, or the ones with the tiptronic or panoramic sunroof are higher in general, and I don't have them.

It may sound silly complaining about €200-300, it's more principle at this stage. Can't be leaving the gubbernment off like we did with the tax on the RX7/8's!

On the drivers door piller, just undeneath the locking bracket, there is a black sticker, and it contains the VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number),, write down this Nr, then google "VIN Unlocker" and enter your VIN Nrs in the field indicated. Click "Enter",,,and in a minute you will have the complete Mercedes Benz specifications for your particular Merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

When the 212 chassis was released the 4 cylinder cars where fitted with the older 5 speed transmission.
    The 6 and 8 cylinder cars where fitted with the new 7 speed transmission, this was then added to the 4 cylinder cars around 2010 though it may have been later. This reduced the co2 emissions and therefore the road tax.
    The easy was to tell what transmission is fitted is by the gear selector, the 5 speed has a shift leaver on the consul and the 7 speed has a column shifter.

jmreire wrote: »
    On the drivers door piller, just undeneath the locking bracket, there is a black sticker, and it contains the VIN ( Vehicle Identification Number),, write down this Nr, then google "VIN Unlocker" and enter your VIN Nrs in the field indicated. Click "Enter",,,and in a minute you will have the complete Mercedes Benz specifications for your particular Merc.

I googled, but everything looks dodgy so didn't continue.
    steveshort wrote: »
    When the 212 chassis was released the 4 cylinder cars where fitted with the older 5 speed transmission.
    The 6 and 8 cylinder cars where fitted with the new 7 speed transmission, this was then added to the 4 cylinder cars around 2010 though it may have been later. This reduced the co2 emissions and therefore the road tax.
    The easy was to tell what transmission is fitted is by the gear selector, the 5 speed has a shift leaver on the consul and the 7 speed has a column shifter.

Pretty sure it's the 5 speed, that might explain some of it.

Motortax got back to me stating it's down for 163 g/km and to contact Revenue for more info. Might do that.

I googled, but everything looks dodgy so didn't continue.

Pretty sure it's the 5 speed, that might explain some of it.

Motortax got back to me stating it's down for 163 g/km and to contact Revenue for more info. Might do that.

If you like, send me the VIN details by PM, and I'll sort it for you. It's the only cast iron way to get the 100% details about that car.

• Advertisement

Picked her up yesterday.

Well wear,had a look at that online after you mentioned it, great looking car

Not at all,if you saved that its close to the price of a yearly service,or if you hold onto the car for 4-5 years you're up at a grand saved

Picked her up yesterday.

So how is the car going for you?all good I hope

covey123 wrote: »
    So how is the car going for you?all good I hope

I wish. I had it a week and it's been back with him since. AC not working, drinking coolant and a fault on the air intake: P200A-78 & P200A-28. I should have it back tomorrow morning...

And they very graciously gave me a replacement car in the meantime. A Nissan Note... At least I now know that I still hate Nissans!

I wish. I had it a week and it's been back with him since. AC not working, drinking coolant and a fault on the air intake: P200A-78 & P200A-28. I should have it back tomorrow morning...

And they very graciously gave me a replacement car in the meantime. A Nissan Note... At least I now know that I still hate Nissans!

Better you discover everything and anything now while it's under guarantee than afterwards,,,,,,,I know that it's a bit of a downer though just after getting the car. Hopefully after this, it will be all plain and enjoyable "sailing"

A downer it was, I travelled 3 hour to a wedding and it broke my balls to do it in a Note... I've my own mechanic on standby for near the end of the warranty to check everything included on the list of what's covered.

A downer it was, I travelled 3 hour to a wedding and it broke my balls to do it in a Note... I've my own mechanic on standby for near the end of the warranty to check everything included on the list of what's covered.

Yeah that was some downer all right....expecting to arrive in a mercedes Bens....and turning up in a note........
    Still, after it gets sorted, it will give you many pleasurable hours of motoring.

Sorry to hear that,but as said above at least its better those issues showed when still under warranty,hope it all works out for you

I really hope it works out too, I can't afford another one until this is paid off (5 years). Should be collecting later today, waiting on the 'man' to re-gas the AC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

BM.

Advertisement