Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that were once loved that are now not considered great

• 12-08-2019 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

When one thinks back to what they went to see in the cinema and what the most anticipated films were, some have remained loved and more have not. Sure, there were films considered great back when released and still are now and sure, there are films always hated.

The obvious one for me is: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. When this was released, everyone went to see it and by and large loved it. But as the years went by, this film has not been loved.

What others come to mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can easily loop in any film with retrograde cultural moments; so I'm thinking of things like Micky Rooney playing an "Asian" character in Breakfast At Tiffany's, or the earlier Bonds where Jimmy often forcibly pushed himself on women, despite their protests (heck, it also had "slitty eyes" characters itself, with Dr No and its titular villain). Movies like that you have to swallow those clunking missteps to still enjoy them.

Otherwise, pick any Oscar Best Picture winner of the last 90 odd years for a good candidate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Finnegan Mammoth Grey

human traffic or almost any of those films designed to appear profound to teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

pixelburp wrote: »
    You can easily loop in any film with retrograde cultural moments; so I'm thinking of things like Micky Rooney playing an "Asian" character in Breakfast At Tiffany's, or the earlier Bonds where Jimmy often forcibly pushed himself on women, despite their protests (heck, it also had "slitty eyes" characters itself, with Dr No and its titular villain). Movies like that you have to swallow those clunking missteps to still enjoy them.

Otherwise, pick any Oscar Best Picture winner of the last 90 odd years for a good candidate :D

There was a discussion about misogyny in James Bond films on the Bond 25 thread. It most certainly is blatant in most of them. But these early Bond films are often highly rated. The other thing you notice in the earlier Bond films is the blatant anti-Chinese propaganda in them. China funded SPECTRE and China/North Korea used Goldfinger to try and destroy America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

The Karate Kid naff didnt hold up over the years

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »

Went to see one of the sequels of this in the cinema and I thought it was one of the worst films I ever saw. The original I saw later and it is just okay. The sequels are dire.

• Titanic, the budding romance between Jack & Rose is contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Crash and Babel both absolute garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

American Beauty - Think it was seen as very edgy and daring at the time, but now a lot of it seems very dated and emotionally tone deaf in places - and that's even if Kevin Spacey hadn't proved to be a weird dude in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Donny Darko.

Tbh I half heartedly watched it once so could probably give it another try. I just remember everyone going on about it and then when I watched it, I thought it was only alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Commitments is absolute cringe now

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Arghus wrote: »
    American Beauty - Think it was seen as very edgy and daring at the time, but now a lot of it seems very dated and emotionally tone deaf in places - and that's even if Kevin Spacey hadn't proved to be a weird dude in real life.

Still a super film.
    And what's this about Kevin Spacey?
    A fantastic actor..
    End of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It will always be a classic in my eyes. Even with the lack of misogyny, always a let down for me... I blame OJ.

Cassandra+Crossing,+The.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The lord of the rings movies? great at the time, I doubt you could pay me to watch them now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

silverharp wrote: »
    The lord of the rings movies? great at the time, I doubt you could pay me to watch them now

Bzzz, can't agree with that. I watched them all recently and they hold up - in fact, watching them in the modern climate of blockbusters was eye opening; the trilogy's only 20 years old yet it's true to say they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Bzzz, can't agree with that. I watched them all recently and they hold up - in fact, watching them in the modern climate of blockbusters was eye opening; the trilogy's only 20 years old yet it's true to say they don't make 'em like that anymore.

I loved them when they came out but the thought of watching them again. I'm the same with Avatar.

I think those film's are just too long.

Tammy! wrote: »
    I loved them when they came out but the thought of watching them again. I'm the same with Avatar.

I think those film's are just too long.

They're no longer than many Blockbusters these days IMO, where 2 - 2.5 hours is the norm; see the recent Avengers films and their bladder tightening 3 hour runtimes.

You can quibble over the Extended Editions' length, but IMO there's barely an ounce of fat on the theatrical cuts and the decision to shoot all three films at the same time gave the trilogy an overall cohesiveness missing in a lot of other series.

IMO they remain one of the best Hollywood blockbusters in history.

They're no longer than many Blockbusters these days IMO, where 2 - 2.5 hours is the norm; see the recent Avengers films and their bladder tightening 3 hour runtimes.

You can quibble over the Extended Editions' length, but IMO there's barely an ounce of fat on the theatrical cuts and the decision to shoot all three films at the same time gave the trilogy an overall cohesiveness missing in a lot of other series.

IMO they remain one of the best Hollywood blockbusters in history.

I agree they're great movies. I just have no desire to watch them again like I would with other films.

Loved and still love this film and I WISH we could hear bands like this today in Ireland singing proper music, in this case classic soul.

The sequel to it called The Van is something I cannot enjoy. Maybe it is that Brendan Mrs Brown O'Carroll is in it!!

Tammy! wrote: »
    I agree they're great movies. I just have no desire to watch them again like I would with other films.

That's fair enough, though the thread is more about films no longer considered great & lost their lustre - which the LOTR trilogy hasn't IMO.

Avatar, length aside, would be appropriate: it's insane to think there was genuine excited hysteria over that film, quickly fading once the gimmick of the technology wore off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

The original IT movie, used to absolutely terrify me, now I watch it and laugh at just how bad the CGI was, and can we talk about that Spider thing at the end? Stephen King is a weird dude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭jh79

Snapper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my problem is that what were amazing battle sequences back then are pretty much copied in modern video games now. i'd say people would agree they that they have fond memories of the films but they wouldnt have huge rewatchability?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Leon.

Really enjoyed that movie in my youth, some standout performances and absolutely powerhouse acting from Oldman.
    Reno was fantastic too, but on rewatching it fairly recently I honestly felt very creeped out by the sexualisation of Natalie Portman.

The movie hasn't changed, but by feck my opinion of it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The van damm films (not movies) are disappointing to rewatch these days. Probably weren't great in the day but as a child watching kickboxer and the likes it was amazing stuff that got you roundhousing your brother afterwards.

Don't agree the commitments hasn't held up it's proper nostalgia and the music is great. Would watch anytime it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I first saw it about 4 or 5 years after it initially came out and wondered what all the fuss was about.

iamtony wrote: »
    The van damm films (not movies) are disappointing to rewatch these days. Probably weren't great in the day but as a child watching kickboxer and the likes it was amazing stuff that got you roundhousing your brother afterwards.

Don't agree the commitments hasn't held up it's proper nostalgia and the music is great. Would watch anytime it's on.

The Commitments is a great film and great music.

Those Van Damme films were probably better than those Chuck Norris films but all these were not really actors at all. They were martial arts stars who thought they'd try their luck at being the next Schwarzenegger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

The English patient. Loved it when it first came out but now... Melodramatic and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

khalessi wrote: »

The current series makes up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Rambo: first blood. Watched this a couple of months ago, my god soooo boring. It would be straight to dvd/television type of movie if released today.

Advertisement