Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Got this Fossil Automatic watch on holiday, my first automatic watch. Not to sure about now I have it home though :(

487347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Got a silicone Barton strap today, definetely getting a few more colours!

487466.jpg

487467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

funkyouup wrote: »
    Got a silicone Barton strap today, definetely getting a few more colours!
    NO quoted pics
    Class straps and great company, I've about 10 of them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

487517.jpg

To be honest this is more of an investment piece for me but I never buy anything I wouldn't like to wear.

So instead of being a safe queen I bought a cheap jubilee replacement bracelet for it (to keep the original in pristine condition) and put it on the wrist. It's a fun piece and funnily the replacement bracelet feels better than the Omega original :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo

Thirdfox wrote: »
    IMG_20190808_100727.jpg

To be honest this is more of an investment piece for me but I never buy anything I wouldn't like to wear.

So instead of being a safe queen I bought a cheap jubilee replacement bracelet for it (to keep the original in pristine condition) and put it on the wrist. It's a fun piece and funnily the replacement bracelet feels better than the Omega original :D

Nice watch, I love it. Quartz is a risky investment your a braver man than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

sparrowcar wrote: »

Hello,

Any issues with customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Greg81 wrote: »
    sparrowcar wrote: »

Hello,

Any issues with customs?

Not once

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice watch, I love it. Quartz is a risky investment your a braver man than me.
    Then again FG ten years ago they were little enough money, now they're more like 2000 last time I looked, so like anything it depends when you buy. Then there's the tale of the chap over on TZUK who happened to snag on ebay one of those that was an actual tested and possibly flwon NASA example(where NASA replaced the bulb with a tritium light). Sweeeeet. :)

In the quartz pantheon generally speaking outside of early LED tech, digitals are usually the poor relation and analogue is what tends to sell and nearly always stuff from the earliest years of quartz. Much of it because being crazy expensive when new they had the best cases, dials, bracelets etc in the ranges and the latest styles. That segment really revved up in the last five years, with prices quadrupling and more. Though there has always been a small but loyal fanbase for digitals and prices have generally remained about the most stable of any watch sub genre.

Thirdfox's Speedy would be one of the outliers there with the upswing in values. I suppose the "Space Watch"(and Omega space watch) aspect really helped there. Ten years ago you could buy Seiko Pogue "space watch" for not much more than a hundred quid. I seem to recall getting one in '13 for under 200. Now not so much. I seem to recall Colonel Pogue's actual flown Seiko only got 5000 at auction. Today? I'd reckon triple that if it came up for sale again.

Biggest problem with quartz are spares, especially for oddball stuff. IMHO the collector pretty much needs a spare movement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I always worry that a quarts espically digitals, will just stop working and then its an electrical engineer you need not a watchmaker. A battery leaks or a capacitor explodes and its game over. In the mechanical scene a service can replace a lot of the movement without effecting value, a vintage quartz with a new movement or screen is heavily devalued. You can have a "patina on a dial" and its all money, but a busted screen on a digital that leaks everywhere is bad news.

Now having said that its a super cool watch I love it, pure class.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I always worry that a quarts espically digitals, will just stop working and then its an electrical engineer you need not a watchmaker. A battery leaks or a capacitor explodes and its game over.
    +1 FG In 90% of cases as you say it's game over. Most of the very earliest movements are fixable, but even there you need a real expert, and one who has spares.
    In the mechanical scene a service can replace a lot of the movement without effecting value, a vintage quartz with a new movement or screen is heavily devalued.
    Actually so long as it's the same movement or repaired with NOS parts rather than a modern replacement(99% wouldn't fit anyway) it doesn't seem to affect the values at all. Plus the older stuff unlike today was much more modular(and mechanical) so like mechanicals you can replace components. If you have them of course. Where serial numbers are present they're almost always on the main plate anyway. EG I have an example of Seiko's first calculator LCD and the LCD screen had faded as they tend to and I found a NOS screen on ebay, slapped it in and good as new. If anything it increased the value.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Might as well post my other watch. Tissot PRS200, I used to only wear this watch for special occasions but have started wearing it everyday. It has a few marks from heavy nights out :( but I love the watch overall.

487599.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This Breitling has really caught my eye.
    The better half has arranged one for my Birthday :)
    I got to try this one on a few days ago and it compares beautifully with my beater.

I think I want it on a bracelet tho ;)

Roll on November!

487715.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

That Superocean is beautiful, great choice, is that the 42mm version?
    banie01 wrote: »
    This Breitling has really caught my eye.
    The better half has arranged one for my Birthday :)
    I got to try this one on a few days ago and it compares beautifully with my beater.

I think I want it on a bracelet tho ;)

Roll on November!

Time wrote: »
    That Superocean is beautiful, great choice, is that the 42mm version?

It's the 44mm version, really is a lovely piece but it needs a bracelet IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

bit of Bluesy
    20190810-191142.jpg20190810-001417.jpg

Bluesy is very special because it continues the lovely blue and gold theme that goes all the way back to Tutankhamun's facemask
    4.png

A+-Guru wrote: »
    bit of Bluesy

Lovely piece, really nice.

thank you :D

banie01 wrote: »
    Lovely piece, really nice.

Love the Blusey there A+ guru, in my opinion a very nice option. An one that has some "value" in today's Rolex market. The blue ceramic bezel is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was always wrecking my brain wondering why I liked the blue/gold combo before but couldn’t put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭VW 1

Do all of the date versions come with the magnification glass? For some reason I can't take to it. The blue gold combo is beautiful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

VW 1 wrote: »
    Do all of the date versions come with the magnification glass? For some reason I can't take to it. The blue gold combo is beautiful though.

All except previous version Seadwellers and the Cellini line.

I agree, it's crazy that the SS are going for more than the TT, your getting more of a luxury watch with the TT, holding both the TT and SS in the hand you can see what I mean. The way Rolex market is going though I think the TT is lagging and I would not be surprised to see the TT start to climb in price, people say you can get one easy at an AD but it's not the case, the usual wait list BS that we all know doesnt exist. They give them to VIP.

Love the Blusey there A+ guru, in my opinion a very nice option. An one that has some "value" in today's Rolex market. The blue ceramic bezel is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Casio F108WHC-7BCF on Orange Zulu strap

IMG-20190811-132353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Today, it is the trusty SKX009.

487922.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

My Pebble Steel smart watch is glitching so picked this up in the mean time. I like the face, but the strap needs to be replaced as not that comfortable.

487934.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I was always wrecking my brain wondering why I liked the blue/gold combo before but couldn’t put my finger on it.

Perhaps you are a closet Tipperary hurling fan:confused:??

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

blue5000 wrote: »
    Perhaps you are a closet Tipperary hurling fan:confused:??

Nah that’s just as much pain as thinking I’ll ever own a SS Rolex :D. I don’t need that much misery in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Dublin this morning, finally got a chance to catch Cargolux 747 that is taking the place of Air France 777.

Right on time :D
    UUNinOA.jpg
    62AAwZd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Timex Expedition

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20190817140047959-COVER.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

IMG-20190820-111834.jpg
    free picture upload

Morning coffee with my Timex Marlin

This discussion has been closed.