Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firearm stored in car boot.

• 12-08-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

A lot of people use Peli rifle cases to protect their firearms. As these cases are very long to facilitate the larger rifles they have to drop one of the seats as they will not fit entirely in the boot. If they are locked in the boot albeit somewhat on the lowered seat is this still legal when travelling to a range or shooting venue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Isn't there something about it not being accessible from the cabin? Nearly sure I read that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Fastnet50

Yes but physically it is not, at least without a lot of hassle, just like to know as a lot of gun cases will not fit in a car boot entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Just had a quuck look at the Commissioners Guidelines there and the phrase is "not readily accessible".

I think having most of the case in the boot and a bit poking through the dropped seat should be ok. It's all a bit vague.

Yes it is especially if you have a few to transport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

On my licence in the conditions section I think it says " Not to be left unattended in car". Is this to be taken literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

On my licence in the conditions section I think it says " Not to be left unattended in car". Is this to be taken literally.

No knowledge here but I'm sure it is, nice big jackpot for any scummy car thief, he/she's not going to hand it in.

Is that a serious question Mink trapper

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

My take on it is if you have the case out of view a coat or something thrown over it, the case locked and secured by steel cable to an anchor point in the boot, then it is secured and not easily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

You need a pickup truck and a gun rack

You need a pickup truck and a gun rack

Yeah or a securicor van whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can pretty much say a long firearm,locked in a pelicase and stuck thru the back seat from the boot ,is NOT very accesible to the driver or passenger.:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thank you Grizzly, just been nagging me a little.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    No knowledge here but I'm sure it is, nice big jackpot for any scummy car thief, he/she's not going to hand it in.

What about getting a bite to eat or a call of nature.

Fastnet50 wrote: »
    Thank you Grizzly, just been nagging me a little.

If you want to be belt & braces.Put your gun case keys on the ignition key bunch.That way its impossible to get at,unless you stop the car and switch off the ignition.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

These are the commissioner's guidelines. They are not the law. You do not have to adhere to them unless this is specifically stated in the condition on your license.

You may find that is more convenient to leave the gun on the back seat until the commencement of the new SI. This can be handy when traveling a short distance to the next permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What about getting a bite to eat or a call of nature.
    These are the commissioner's guidelines. They are not the law. You do not have to adhere to them unless this is specifically stated in the condition on your license.

You may find that is more convenient to leave the gun on the back seat until the commencement of the new SI. This can be handy when traveling a short distance to the next permission.

I have the condition on my licence that I cannot leave the gun unattended in the car so I too have the dilemma, do I leave it in the car when I'm going to the jacks in Obama Plaza on the way to a comp or do I sling it over my shoulder and rock into Obama Plaza on my way to the jacks?

Option C ,boycott a greasy spoon named after the man who was one of the worst presidents in the USA,who would gladly have banned you guns for you,and go water the dasies at the roadside?:D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I have the condition on my licence that I cannot leave the gun unattended in the car so I too have the dilemma, do I leave it in the car when I'm going to the jacks in Obama Plaza on the way to a comp or do I sling it over my shoulder and rock into Obama Plaza on my way to the jacks?

Approach a lad wearing a tracksuit and tell him you have a licensed firearm in the car. Offer him a free SuperMacs if he sits in the car while you go to the toilet. This hopefully would satisfy the condition on your license.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How about everyone stop overthinking this and realise that most of this SI is unenforceable (not to mention unworkable) and there will not be an additional 140,000 Gardaí to monitor every firearm owner at all times.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Option C ,boycott a greasy spoon named after the man who was one of the worst presidents in the USA,who would gladly have banned you guns for you,and go water the dasies at the roadside?:D

I second this ^

Thought BC was taking the piss and googled to confirm no such place existed, unfortunately i was wrong.

Who's dumbass idea was it to name a place after the biggest idiot of a president that ever existed ?

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    How about everyone stop overthinking this and realise that most of this SI is unenforceable (not to mention unworkable) and there will not be an additional 140,000 Gardaí to monitor every firearm owner at all times.

Appreciate that. But why do they put theses conditions on your licence. Whatever happened to common sense.

Approach a lad wearing a tracksuit and tell him you have a licensed firearm in the car. Offer him a free SuperMacs if he sits in the car while you go to the toilet. This hopefully would satisfy the condition on your license.

I presume that would be someone out getting a bit of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I second this ^

Thought BC was taking the piss and googled to confirm no such place existed, unfortunately i was wrong.

Who's dumbass idea was it to name a place after the biggest idiot of a president that ever existed ?

Pat McDonagh of Supermacs fame built it so I'd guess he named it.

For the record, the place is a feckin gold mine. Always busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

He is opening another one soon, called the Che Guevara-lynch shopping centre :D

What about people who don't drive cars ? I know lads who shoot pistol and if the weather is good or the missus is using the car, they get the motorcycle out of the shed and tip on to the club. Same with people who drive company vans, if the cab is open to the back, its basically one large space, no separate compartment.

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    What about people who don't drive cars ? I know lads who shoot pistol and if the weather is good or the missus is using the car, they get the motorcycle out of the shed and tip on to the club. Same with people who drive company vans, if the cab is open to the back, its basically one large space, no separate compartment.

The new SI refers to when the firearm is being transported "in" a vehicle. A motorcycle is a vehicle you get on not in so you don't have any new obligations under the SI if you travel by motorcycle.

The same goes for a bicycle or walking. You may carry your firearm openly provided you don't have a condition on your license preventing you from doing so.

Appreciate that. But why do they put theses conditions on your licence. Whatever happened to common sense.
    Yeah, i wasn't intending to sound snarky. Should have added a smiley face.

However i think the point is still valid. Without, and i stress this point very LOUDLY, condoning any sort of criminal act if people use their common sense and judgement then you won't have a problem.

As for AGS common sense. Without being a dick they don't need it. They have the law on their side and it says we [the shooting community] are responsible for basically every aspect of gun ownership. So the onus is on us to be compliant.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

You may carry your firearm openly provided you don't have a condition on your license preventing you from doing so.

Eh, no.

There are multiple parts of ALL the firearm Acts and even a few in the 1990 offensive weapons act that says possession of an article/firearm/weapon in public without just cause or reasonable excuse is an offence and the prosecutor does not need to show intent only that people were alarmed and felt threatened/intimidated.

Also it's just asking for trouble.

In America where they have a 2nd amendment and some states have open carry laws people have tried to push this Right to the limit and have been arrested and even shot for it. So doing it in a country where the gun laws are tighter than a Frog's ass is never going to be acceptable. Condition on your license or not.

I dont even open carry in the states because as you said you're really just asking for trouble.

Guaranteed you will cross paths with an anti firearm leftest loonie who will taunt or berate you for it

• Advertisement

I dont even open carry in the states because as you said you're really just asking for trouble.

Guaranteed you will cross paths with an anti firearm leftest loonie who will taunt or berate you for it

Very brave, or foolhardy thing to do in America.

Advertisement