Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you pay revenue to choose number on import?

• 12-08-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Couple of questions regarding registering a car i am importing, a 1989 in this case , can i pay revenue a fee to choose a number that hasn't been used already ?
    Secondly can you choose any county or does it have to be your county of your postal address?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Couple of questions regarding registering a car i am importing, a 1989 in this case , can i pay revenue a fee to choose a number that hasn't been used already ?
    Secondly can you choose any county or does it have to be your county of your postal address?

Thanks.

I’m pretty sure u can choose whatever county u want. I know someone who imported a car, were living in Cork but were able to put a limerick reg on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The NCT sort all imports these days, they’ll accept whatever proof of address you give them within the 26 counties, so if you turn up in a Cork test centre with a Donegal address it’ll be 89-DL-1**** AFAIK. I’m not 100% but I do know the nct bit is true. It’ll almost certainly be a high number for the year so it stands out. I’ve seen Cork registered imports from 1989 reading 89-C-16***

We had an Irish registered car at home that was 89-C-106** and it was first registered in November 1989.

OP is there a specific number you want such as say a Peugeot 205 reading 89-C-205 for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The NCT sort all imports these days, they’ll accept whatever proof of address you give them within the 26 counties, so if you turn up in a Cork test centre with a Donegal address it’ll be 89-DL-1**** AFAIK. I’m not 100% but I do know the nct bit is true. It’ll almost certainly be a high number for the year so it stands out. I’ve seen Cork registered imports from 1989 reading 89-C-16***

We had an Irish registered car at home that was 89-C-106** and it was first registered in November 1989.

OP is there a specific number you want such as say a Peugeot 205 reading 89-C-205 for example?

I was thinking something along those lines 89 LM 3 ideally but that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I was thinking something along those lines 89 LM 3 ideally but that won't happen.

89-LM-3 is a 1988 Suzuki Swift, yes you read that right, the system was a bit different back then. That car has a last tax expiry of May 2002, NCT of January 2004 and is not showing up at all on Motortax.ie so they may be able to reissue it to a different vehicle as it appears the original might well be scrapped, but i know nothing on that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless the classic process is somehow different from the regular process then your residence decides the county on the reg.

Are you not going to put a ZV on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can’t do it on used imports. I tried a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

biko wrote: »
    Unless the classic process is somehow different from the regular process then your residence decides the county on the reg.

I'd guess it's a certain BMW Model . Hence the preference for an 'M' and a '3' in the Reg :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can’t do it on used imports. I tried a few years ago.

You've surely seen this car around Limerick (Black M3) 04 LM 3. Imported (used) by a Limerick Resident....who had to jump through a few hoops to get the Reg.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'd guess it's a certain BMW Model . Hence the preference for an 'M' and a '3' in the Reg :)

You've surely seen this car around Limerick (Black M3) 04 LM 3. Imported (used) by a Limerick Resident....who had to jump through a few hoops to get the Reg.

Any idea what hoops or how I could get hold of this Limerick resident to ask a few questions ?

biko wrote: »

No not ZV , 89 -xx-xxxx plates were the official plates of that vintage so I'll stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any idea what hoops or how I could get hold of this Limerick resident to ask a few questions ?

It's €1k to reserve a number. It'd want to be some car to spend 1k on a piece of metal/plastic that doesn't ad value.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/registration-plates.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Del2005 wrote: »

Well that link explains it perfectly.

Reserving a registration number

For €1,000 you can apply to Revenue for a particular registration number for the current year.
    To reserve a number, you must apply to the Central Vehicle Office at the address shown below, on or after 1 November in the year before it is intended to first bring the vehicle into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

89-LM-3 is a 1988 Suzuki Swift, yes you read that right, the system was a bit different back then. That car has a last tax expiry of May 2002, NCT of January 2004 and is not showing up at all on Motortax.ie so they may be able to reissue it to a different vehicle as it appears the original might well be scrapped, but i know nothing on that process.

Do they re-issue numbers at all? Especially for older cars, the records are so inconsistent and certificates of destruction were not a thing so it can be hard to tell if the cars are still actually out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do they re-issue numbers at all? Especially for older cars, the records are so inconsistent and certificates of destruction were not a thing so it can be hard to tell if the cars are still actually out there.

No numbers are reused in Ireland. IIRC VIP 1 was transferred but not sure how or even if the story is true.

It has been known to happen. GTI 1 & GTI 2 were both on MK 1 Golf Gti's in Limerick in the early '80s. Those numbers would have been originally issued in the' 60s at the latest. They were on the cars belonging to two Brothers who had a Trucking and Truck repair company.
    I have no idea how they did it.... But if you check Cartell, etc they still show up.

Edit :The Father bought a new Peugeot 504 in the mid 70s with the reg XTI 703. Going by this I can only guess that GTI xxx had to be well before this. Also in the early 80s Limerick City were using xxxGTI rather than the other way around.

PS. Actually they didn't even get to xxxGTI. They were on xxxFTI at the beginning of 1987 when the new format was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'd say back in the pre-'87 days, if you knew the right people you could do stuff like that.

It seems so. Also this Company sold new Trucks so presumably had contacts in the Motor Tax office ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

For reasons unknown, Revenue changed the rules in 2015 - from then on, only owners of NEW vehicles can apply to reserve a registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Of course 'For Reg' was transferred from year to year and from car to car !!!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement