Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPA Looking For Gate Receipts

• 11-08-2019 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Seen this somewhere else and thought it might be interesting

Very worring views coming out of the GPA in relation to the possibility of claiming gate receipts. The GPA treat themselves as professionals in an amateur organisation using words like "stakeholders" for players. The game needs radical overhaul in terms of how the wealth in the game is distributed. Game was never about money or greed but I'm afraid it is increasingly going down this route. The game cannot survive without clubs and club players and the voluntarily support of their local people but unsure if the GPA and the top brass in the GAA understand that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

GPA is a beaten flush. Basically a house union now. Main motivation as framed by the Down chap (not a player himself afaik) whose sole objective was to use it as bargaining chip to get contracts for big name players. That's been done and you even have well known Dublin, Cork and Mayo women, and a few camogs as well wetting their beaks in the media and advertising world. And fair play to them. If you can sell your face and voice, go for it. Doesn't harm the games themselves and arguably heightens the public perception of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

cms88 wrote: »
    Seen this somewhere else and thought it might be interesting

Very worring views coming out of the GPA in relation to the possibility of claiming gate receipts. The GPA treat themselves as professionals in an amateur organisation using words like "stakeholders" for players. The game needs radical overhaul in terms of how the wealth in the game is distributed. Game was never about money or greed but I'm afraid it is increasingly going down this route. The game cannot survive without clubs and club players and the voluntarily support of their local people but unsure if the GPA and the top brass in the GAA understand that.

Next the GAA television rights will be sold to the higher bidder!
    Dublin will then be split in two to create an "old firm" money machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Give it to them.
    Frankly, it is better they get it than some g*b****e suit or it beibg pumped into Dublin, which is what is happening at present.

Ironically, the betrayal of the amateur ethos is about the most honest option on the table...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Chiparus wrote: »
    Next the GAA television rights will be sold to the higher bidder!
    Dublin will then be split in two to create an "old firm" money machine.

No one in Dublin would pay to watch that. So I don't know how it would make money

No one in Dublin would pay to watch that. So I don't know how it would make money

Northside vs Southside?

I think the GAA are seeing €€€€€€€€ potential.

• Advertisement

Still better than the other option of not one from the other 31 counties watching Id have thought...

If you think Dublin can hold the rest of the country to ransom, you are very much mistaken. If they decided in the morning that there will be 2 teams or there will be no team, then you would just have to grin and bear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Still better than the other option of not one from the other 31 counties watching Id have thought...

If you think Dublin can hold the rest of the country to ransom, you are very much mistaken.

Were ye at the match yesterday or on your boycott?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Were ye at the match yesterday or on your boycott?

Leinsterdub brought up the idea of a boycott. I simply illustrated the point that he is arguing from a position of weakness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Bonniedog wrote: »
    GPA is a beaten flush. Basically a house union now. Main motivation as framed by the Down chap (not a player himself afaik) whose sole objective was to use it as bargaining chip to get contracts for big name players. That's been done and you even have well known Dublin, Cork and Mayo women, and a few camogs as well wetting their beaks in the media and advertising world. And fair play to them. If you can sell your face and voice, go for it. Doesn't harm the games themselves and arguably heightens the public perception of them.

The GPA are like the in-house social committee in work.
    The management appoint them and throw them a few bits and bobs to keep the grunts happy.

They have become a bunch of poodles

Northside vs Southside?

I think the GAA are seeing €€€€€€€€ potential.

You're imagining the potential. I'm from the northside but most of my friends are from the southside. Who would I support? I'd tell you who. No one I'd just give up on the gaa

• Advertisement

If you think Dublin can hold the rest of the country to ransom, you are very much mistaken. If they decided in the morning that there will be 2 teams or there will be no team, then you would just have to grin and bear it.
    Would you go watch a merged Mayo-Galway? If they merged and you stopped going would you consider it a boycott?

Leinsterdub brought up the idea of a boycott. I simply illustrated the point that he is arguing from a position of weakness...

I didn't. It wouldn't be a boycott. I support Dublin. If Dublin were no longer a team I'd simply not be interested. For it to be a boycott you actually have to give a ****. I would not give a **** about watching North Dublin.

You're imagining the potential. I'm from the northside but most of my friends are from the southside. Who would I support? I'd tell you who. No one I'd just give up on the gaa

People said the same when Shamrock Rovers left Milltown,

Galway were the Leinster hurling champions in 2018.

Sport evolves , so will GAA.

33000 at the all ireland semi speaks volumes.

There teams didn't stop existing. Galway went from no championship to having something to play for and leaving Milltown nearly killed Shamrock Rovers. It took nearly 3 decades for them to recover and only then because they still had some hardcore fans.

If the GAA merged your county with a other would you still support it?

None of the people I go to games with would support a rump Dublin. Are you aware of anyone who would support these teams?

There was a full house at the semi final involving the team that is allegedly killing the game and that you want to split into local authority areas.

If that happens, there will be no team representing Dublin GAA. You may be sure of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Out of curiosity how would the split work for determining which side a player would be on? Can’t be birthplace relative to the Liffey (given the location of the maternity hospitals), so by current club? And if so, what would be the breakdown of the current Dublin panel? (Assuming the split is based on the Liffey.)

Just asking, not in any way supporting it.

Of starting 15 last night, 8 are with northside clubs. Castleknock is kind of sui generis,

Out of curiosity how would the split work for determining which side a player would be on? Can’t be birthplace relative to the Liffey (given the location of the maternity hospitals), so by current club? And if so, what would be the breakdown of the current Dublin panel? (Assuming the split is based on the Liffey.)

Just asking, not in any way supporting it.

If Galway can be in Leinster all the assinine rules can be changed.

Who knows, some of the better Mayo players might get to play on a championship winning team ?
    The Southside Snobs, or the Northside knacks?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Gachla

There teams didn't stop existing. Galway went from no championship to having something to play for and leaving Milltown nearly killed Shamrock Rovers. It took nearly 3 decades for them to recover and only then because they still had some hardcore fans.

None of the people I go to games with would support a rump Dublin. Are you aware of anyone who would support these teams?

Unfortunately, it's got to the stage where it will either be Dublin getting split or other counties merging. I don't see why other counties should get punished because one county got handed millions of public money granted by the disgraced Bertie Ahern.

Yes, except it wont be my county which is an artificial division of an invading ruler.

It will be my team.

Yes, except it wont be my county which is an artificial division of an invading ruler.

It will be my team.

Fine then let's do an Welsh rugby union on the entire thing, go back to square one. Throw out all the tradition and history. Create 16 franchises no one will give a **** about all to spite Dublin.

Let's cut off our nose to spite our face like we did in the 80's when Kerry won 4 in a row. Owe wait never mind

• Advertisement

Gachla wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's got to the stage where it will either be Dublin getting split or other counties merging. I don't see why other counties should get punished because one county got handed millions of public money granted by the disgraced Bertie Ahern.

Dublin won't be dominant forever. Why can't we raise the standards of other countries instead of trying to tear down Dublin. Regardless of how you think they got where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Pathetic from a Paul Flynn. Needs to have a strong look at where he’s come from and where he’d if he wasn’t such a talented footballer.

Dublin won't be dominant forever. Why can't we raise the standards of other countries instead of trying to tear down Dublin. Regardless of how you think they got where they are now.

It's not about dominance. Dublin have increased standards across the board but pumping millions of public money into Dublin GAA was and is wrong even if they never won any titles. This is not about tearing anyone down. This is about fair play and letting every county compete on an equal footing.

Gachla wrote: »
    It's not about dominance. Dublin have increased standards across the board but pumping millions of public money into Dublin GAA was and is wrong even if they never won any titles. This is not about tearing anyone down. This is about fair play and letting every county compete on an equal footing.

Talk of splitting Dublin up is about tearing down. County's have never competed on an equal footing. No one seriously believes that do they? Pump millions in to every other county for the next two decades if you wish

Talk of splitting Dublin up is about tearing down. County's have never competed on an equal footing. No one seriously believes that do they? Pump millions in to every other county for the next two decades if you wish

No it's not. Splitting Dublin is making our games fair, simple as that.
    An equal footing means you compete with what you have. Yes there will always be population differences but there always was. In the 90's and early 00's we had a wide open football championship. Government and sponsorship funding has caused a huge chasm. It needs to be sorted.

its really a numbers game, especially the spread of GAA to the southside of Dublin. The money to be made is huge, Northside vs Southside - the equivalent of the "Old Firm" in Glasgow, Chelsea vs Arsenal, City vs United etc.

its really a numbers game, especially the spread of GAA to the southside of Dublin. The money to be made is huge, Northside vs Southside - the equivalent of the "Old Firm" in Glasgow, Chelsea vs Arsenal, City vs United etc.

It would have no appeal. I don't know anyone who defines themselves as a "northsider" or "southsider"!

There is a social divide but it has nothing to do with GAA. Leinster is largely a Dublin middle class phenomenon in rugby. They have almost no support among working class Dubs.

Besides, it would be surely a dangerous ploy to create some artificial division within a city that has enough problems as it is!

Main thing is, it would never be accepted by Dublin GAA and if forced, would mean end of popular support for whatever entities emerge.

It would have no appeal. I don't know anyone who defines themselves as a "northsider" or "southsider"!

There is a social divide but it has nothing to do with GAA. Leinster is largely a Dublin middle class phenomenon in rugby. They have almost no support among working class Dubs.

Besides, it would be surely a dangerous ploy to create some artificial division within a city that has enough problems as it is!

Main thing is, it would never be accepted by Dublin GAA and if forced, would mean end of popular support for whatever entities emerge.

No one wanted to go down this path but it could be the only option. As I said, why should other counties be forced to merge? They've done nothing wrong. Dublin GAA went to Bertie and took the money. They should be split.

What county are you from?

Strange that someone so obsessed with Dublin and hatred of Dublin has not one single post anywhere about another county, and yet you pretend to be concerned for the future of the GAA.

In fact you mostly other than your anti Dublin obsession seem preoccupied with rugby.

A sport with generations of elitism and anti national in its very genes. A sport in which one of its "stars" took his flute out and p1ssed over someone in a pub.

Good luck my friend ...

Oh and I know who i won't be supporting in the "World Cup" :-)

• Advertisement

What county are you from?

Strange that someone so obsessed with Dublin and hatred of Dublin has not one single post anywhere about another county, and yet you pretend to be concerned for the future of the GAA.

In fact you mostly other than your anti Dublin obsession seem preoccupied with rugby.

A sport with generations of elitism and anti national in its very genes. A sport in which one of its "stars" took his flute out and p1ssed over someone in a pub.

Good luck my friend ...

Oh and I know who i won't be supporting in the "World Cup" :-)

I asked earlier whether you could refute my posts without deflection or abuse. You've shown that you are incapable of doing so.

Advertisement