Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 screen cinema going into Bailey Point, Salthill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

“1920s themed” with food service! Interesting.

Work has been ongoing since January: https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/1140552440946876417?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Finally!! lying idle for nigh on 15 years!! I'm looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Fully reclining seats and restaurant food delivered to your seat.
    Just what anyone wants, someones head in their face and the smell of garlic chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fully reclining seats and restaurant food delivered to your seat.
    Just what anyone wants, someones head in their face and the smell of garlic chips.

If it's like other dine in cinemas, the chairs will be pretty big, plenty of space between yourself and the person next to you.

The only problem I have with those paces is the distraction. If it's one of the places that they can summon a waiter with a button and have them constantly bringing beer, it'll be awful. Way too much noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

Cinema opened today. 3 screens of 10 ready. They have reduced ticket prices but it’s for testing purposes. So there is a chance the movie will stop for a fire alarm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shoulda called it The Promniplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Shoulda called it The Promniplex.

Here's your coat. Get out. :p

On a separate note, looks fabulous from the photos I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Cinema opened today. 3 screens of 10 ready. They have reduced ticket prices but it’s for testing purposes. So there is a chance the movie will stop for a fire alarm!

Do you just have to rock up in person to see what's on? I didn't see it listed on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you just have to rock up in person to see what's on? I didn't see it listed on their site?

I think it's a soft opening: able bodied 18+'s only, let in on the understanding that staff are still being trained. So likely not listed yet.

Proper opening day is sometime in early August.

Yes, as stated above, it’s a soft opening for adults only. Official opening is August 9th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

jk23 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the salthill cinema is open? On their Facebook it said they are opening officially the 9th of August....

In there today... Far from finished but the screen set up and seating is excellent... Had a great experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

smurf492 wrote: »
    jk23 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the salthill cinema is open? On their Facebook it said they are opening officially the 9th of August....

In there today... Far from finished but the screen set up and seating is excellent... Had a great experience

Just went to book for tonight... €14 for an adult ticket!! IMC is €9.50 for the same film around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Just went to book for tonight... €14 for an adult ticket!! IMC is €9.50 for the same film around the same time.

They can feck off with those prices. Be interesting to see what price the Omnipass is when they make it available for Salthill. Works out at amazing value if you're a regular cinema goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

smurf492 wrote: »

How are the reclining seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

How are the reclining seats?

Very comfortable, great leg room... I understand that 14 euros is expensive but eye cinema charge the same for their luxery screen but in fairness the seats in omniplex are better and roomier..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,181 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ChewyLouie wrote: »

Price gouging.

That'll put a lot of people off the place straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cinema specific posts from other threads pulled into this dedicated thread

Website
    https://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/galway
    Galway-Salthill, Ireland
    A Cinema like no other, Omniplex Salthill is a D'Luxx Cinema featuring all laser projection and fully electric reclining seats at standard! Our homage to 1920s decor combined with the most state of the art technology including Dolby Atmos immersive sound and 4K laser projection, Omniplex Salthill is really a cinema like no other!Currently a 3 screen cinema with 7 more screens to open later in 2019. Other features include Click & Collect and Candy King Pick'N'Mix.

6 wrote: »
    Price gouging.

That'll put a lot of people off the place straight away.
    They're marketing themselves as Screen 7 in the Eye except across the entire cinema. It might actually keep out some of those less desirables you sometimes have to share a screen with.
    E.g. Some teenage wan thought it'd be cool to take a selfie with Thor on the screen in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

€4 more than the Eye, who's ordinary screens are perfectly fine is asking for a kicking.
    I don't know how they expect to maintain that price across 7 screens.
    I've been in screen 7 in the Eye a few times and never seen it close to full.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

they should be glad, in my father's time[ 30's/40's] there were 2 cinema's in Wicklow Town, in my time 70's /80's there was 1, now it's 2019 and we don't have any , were supposed to be living in the county town and now even a cinema, during the 'Celtic Tiger someone wanted to build a shopping centre +cinema but the council seen fit to refuse planning , 'The Garden of Ireland ' nothing in it but weeds.

• Advertisement

• decky1 wrote: »
    they should be glad, in my father's time[ 30's/40's] there were 2 cinema's in Wicklow Town, in my time 70's /80's there was 1, now it's 2019 and we don't have any , were supposed to be living in the county town and now even a cinema, during the 'Celtic Tiger someone wanted to build a shopping centre +cinema but the council seen fit to refuse planning , 'The Garden of Ireland ' nothing in it but weeds.

The 30/40's offered little beyond the cinema.

The 70/80's gave us 2 channels

Now, stream anything you want directly on to the device in your hand. Hard to compete except in the larger population centers

Personally I can't wait to try out the new venue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I love going to the cinema and would pay a little extra to avoid people messing about and annoying me (I’ve walked out of IMC before and got a refund because messing was so bad).
    I’m a bit confused about the food delivery in the new cinema. Do they deliver food and drinks to your seat? How do they do that without disturbing all the people around you? Does it happen all the way through the film or just in trailers?
    I’m turning into a grumpy old man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

decky1 wrote: »

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Did they play 30 minutes of adverts before the show? That might be worth 4 quid to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Eh if you say so:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Very accessible location most of the time.

487990.gif

I went to the Lion King the last day in Screen 10. Seats are brilliant. Although, in full recline, you lose the bottom of the screen with the seats on front (Screen 10 anyways). Sound is the new Dolby Atoms which is a far superior offering than the other cinemas in town and would require a significant fit out to compete at that level in my opinion. We got two student tickets (happy days!), medium combo (drink and popcorn) and bottle of water for €29.50.

To compare ticket prices at all cinemas:

Recline @ Omniplex - €14 - adult
    Galactic Screen @IMC - €12 - adult
    Luxury Screen @ Eye - €13.75 - adult
    Palas - €11.50 - adult

So, if you’re looking for that luxury experience, there’s not much in it when you compare. However, Galactic and Luxury screens are generally options you don’t have to choose. Most movies are often in the other screens especially the blockbusters and come with lower ticket prices between €9-€11.50. So if you just want to see a movie, then IMC, Eye and Palas will provide better value for money for putting your bum on a seat. However, if you want the best experience Galway can offer in cinema terms, then the Omniplex is your best option at this time. This assessment excludes the Omnipass option, which appears like a good deal if you go to the cinema regularly.

The Eye has planning in (maybe granted) for extending into the old iRadio part of the building and the planning includes for 3 or 4 boutique screens i.e luxury screens. It will be interesting to see if they proceed with this.

You know what I'd love to see in Galway, an IMAX screen. I reckon IMC could work one into the Oranmore cinema pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I went to the Lion King the last day in Screen 10. Seats are brilliant. Although, in full recline, you lose the bottom of the screen with the seats on front (Screen 10 anyways).

At a risk of sounding slightly obsessed with the concept of reclining seating, how far do they recline? Are you actually laying flat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is Omniplex the only cinema in Galway that offers an unlimited pass? I live in Oranmore so getting to Salthill to go to the Cinema would be too much hassle.

IMC were going to bring out an unlimited pass called Infinity but I have heard nothing about it in over a year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement