Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about cartridges.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They require authorisation even if only for a blank firing gun. this authorisation comes in the form of a letter from your Super.

If someone you know has them then i'd suggest bringing them to a gunshop or range and they will dispose of them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

They are for a nail gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

juice1304 wrote: »
    They are for a nail gun.

That would tie in with the history. A carpenter or builders workshop.

Now, how to dispose of them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Give the local Garda station a call in the morning and ask them for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

tuxy wrote: »
    Give the local Garda station a call in the morning and ask them for advice.

“I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse.”
    ― Brendan Behan

Drop them into a dealer, don't get the guards involved for gods sake.

• Advertisement

oldgit1897 wrote: »

“I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it worse.”
    ― Brendan Behan

Drop them into a dealer, don't get the guards involved for gods sake.

Unfortunately I could not agree more

I was in a Wurth hardware shop the other day, they had a display of winchester nail gun cartridges on the counter. I doubt any licence was needed to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

I have them on plastic strips for concrete fixings gun . Have them in till box, in work shop. Think I even have them on the floor of the van. Pick them up in builders providers. Think I got the last lot in the tool hire. If they'll fit in a .22 rifle and just shoot them till all gone maybe

Benny mcc wrote: »
    I have them on plastic strips for concrete fixings gun . Have them in till box, in work shop. Think I even have them on the floor of the van. Pick them up in builders providers. Think I got the last lot in the tool hire. If they'll fit in a .22 rifle and just shoot them till all gone maybe

I don't think they would fit in a .22 rifle, they are 6mm i think. And i doubt it would be a good idea anyway, i would imagine they would operate at a far higher pressure than .22lr ammo.

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I don't think they would fit in a .22 rifle, they are 6mm i think. And i doubt it would be a good idea anyway, i would imagine they would operate at a far higher pressure than .22lr ammo.

I've shot the .22 ones in rifle. Not much of a pop out of them. No resistance with them only blanks so not much pressure . Not to say you should just that I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Used in Hilti guns for fixing steel nails into concrete or steel, they are all colour coded, black is the strongest

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

isn't the WSM 17 based on a nailgun cartridge?

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I walked into my local garda station and explained they were found in a clearout. Yer man took them and I said I dont want a load of hassle for doing the right thing.

So the official line is they were found in a ditch and there are no more....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That would tie in with the history. A carpenter or builders workshop.

Now, how to dispose of them....

For future Ref.Soak with WD40 or drop into a container full of any lightweight oil or brake/transmission fluid overnight. Theywill be totally inert within 24 hours..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    For future Ref.Soak with WD40 or drop into a container full of any lightweight oil or brake/transmission fluid overnight. Theywill be totally inert within 24 hours..

how does the oil get into the primer? the crimp is also glued....

slipperyox wrote: »

You could use a blow touch or heat gun on it first to break down the glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

That has to be a joke.

Or a hammer

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Or a hammer

Maybe but you need to try not to hit too close to the primer.

You ever see what tranny or brake fluid does to a car paintjob?;) That stuff will penetrate anywhere,so that sort of glue is of no effect to it.. I actually find it better tansome oils to break loose rusted bolts. Belive you me it will inert ammo pretty well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Are you sure WD-40 will work? There has been extensive testing on centre-fire rounds and in most cases it has not deactivated the round.
    Rim fire is totally different then?

I cant say it will work 100% in all cases.
    But from personal experiance,the WD 40 did a nice job on a box of 6mm flobert BB caps I had saved.They really arent much different from blanks in powder composition or manufactur,just they have a 5mm ball on top.

Advertisement