Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nora Quoirin. [Read mod note in post #1 - updated 14/08]

• 09-08-2019 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

This is a strange case, some similarities to Madeleine McCann. My guess would be she left her room of her own volition, became lost and possibly trapped somewhere in the extremely dense vegetation which covers the locality and, after four days now, may well be dead.

Mod note 13/8/18

With the recent discovery of a body, please be mindful there is a grieving family with Irish members. Please be respectful until such time as more detail is formally released.

Additional mod warning 14/08
    Beasty wrote: »
    I have just deleted 22 posts that were either very insensitive/speculative in the circumstances or were responding to insensitive posts

If you see something like that, please report it rather than respond. It alerts us to it, and avoids us having to delete your own posts

For those who insist on making very insensitive or speculative posts, this is a final warning. It's reached the stage where we will have to start issuing cards and further threadbans

Do not respond to this post in-thread - PM me if you have any questions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a waking nightmare for her parents, god help them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Malaysian police appear to be very thorough and professional and seem convinced Nora wasn't abducted. Apparently that place is off the beaten track and surrounded by dense forest, vegetation etc and the chances of a random abductor showing up at the resort on the off chance would be very slim.

Hopefully the poor girl is found alive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It's a very strange case. How long do you reckon it'll be before the tabloids turn on the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

its an awful case. Hope she is found safe.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

It's a very strange case. How long do you reckon it'll be before the tabloids turn on the parents?

For the moment, I'd go with the theory that poor Nora simply wandered off in the middle of the night (perhaps she was very unsettled at being in a new place).

The abduction theory seems very unlikely. The place is isolated and in a rain forest and you'd probably need a car to get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Very strange case indeed, really feel for the parents must be hell on earth for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 toetatoe

Really hoping the family get some news soon. I just find it so hard to imagine anybody wandering off into tropical terrain like that in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

toetatoe wrote: »
    Really hoping the family get some news soon. I just find it so hard to imagine anybody wandering off into tropical terrain like that in the middle of the night.

I believe it was reported that poor Nora has additional needs & learning difficulties and the change in routine may have caused her to act out of character.

Absolutely awful for her poor family, fingers crossed for some news soon. If she's lost in the jungle she must be absolutely terrified :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There’s honestly no point in speculating about what happened to the poor girl, it’s impossible to know the situation. If she’s lost apparently they have local tribesmen who are expert jungle trackers on the case and please God she’s found safe and sound. What an absolute nightmare for the parents.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I believe it was reported that poor Nora has additional needs & learning difficulties and the change in routine may have caused her to act out of character.

Absolutely awful for her poor family, fingers crossed for some news soon. If she's lost in the jungle she must be absolutely terrified :(:(

One would imagine she can't have gotten very far into the rain forest and must be somewhere near the resort. With the hundreds of people searching for her, we can only hope there is a breakthrough soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's awful , whether she wandered off by herself or not . Just hope they find her soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

This is one of those stories that affects so many people, its every person's worse nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t know but I imagine the parents would have to be questioned. It would be remiss to not. Like Michaela Harte’s husband. It’s just a formality. I’m not following the case really so I’m not sure whether they were questioned or not has been revealed.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Malaysian police appear to be very thorough and professional and seem convinced Nora wasn't abducted.
    We must be listening to completely different news interviews. Every correspondent I've come across, on TV or radio, has been saying quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope she is found alive, poor thing. My biggest worry when I read about it were animals and poisonous spiders etc. out there in the jungle. Shudder.

It is just such a helpless situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It must be hell on earth for that family. The stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Awful case

Malay police wouldn’t inspire much confidence from what I’ve seen so far

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Seems a bit odd to me to take a kid like her with disabilities out to such a far flung and divergent place, if it was just a basic holiday I'd have thought just going somewhere in Europe would suffice, especially with this sort of scenario occuring.

We must be listening to completely different news interviews. Every correspondent I've come across, on TV or radio, has been saying quite the opposite.

There was an interview with a Malaysian based British journalist on RTE Radio yesterday and he was saying anyone trying to claim the investigation was sloppy or badly handled is wide off the mark. He says the police responded very quickly and took Nora's disappearance seriously. There is no evidence at all that vital time was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,240 ✭✭✭✭fits

dd973 wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd to me to take a kid like her with disabilities out to such a far flung and divergent place, if it was just a basic holiday I'd have thought just going somewhere in Europe would suffice, especially with this sort of scenario occuring.

It depends on the child and the family to be honest. I visited Malaysia four years ago and its a very safe country - probably safer than many places in Europe.

Nora has been on my mind an awful lot this week. Her family must be going through hell. I hope they find her.

• Advertisement

There was an interview with a Malaysian based British journalist on RTE Radio yesterday and he was saying anyone trying to claim the investigation was sloppy or badly handled is wide off the mark. He says the police responded very quickly and took Nora's disappearance seriously. There is no evidence at all that vital time was lost.
    Drivetime? I heard that. He said they don't operate in the way that a professional European force would. And that the police are refusing to open an abduction investigation because there is no evidence of an abduction, which seems more than a little odd.

If nothing else, and looking at today's developments, I think it would be fair to characterise the police investigation as a bit slack. Which must just be adding enormously to the family's turmoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My wife has a very good friend who is very close to Nora's parents. She is devastated and told my wife that Nora's parents are beyond themselves with worry. I'm checking twitter and the bbc every few hours hoping that she's found safe and well. Poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I have to say that the first thing I would have done was to get a helicopter in with a heat-seeking camera on board to search the immediate area.
    However, it was three or four days before this was done, which I thought was very lax of the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

dd973 wrote: »

Her uncle is based down the road in Singapore so there may have been plans to visit him or him to visit them.

Malaysia is a very safe place as others have said and am sure her family know her well enough to think that it would be ok or they wouldn't have gone.

As for an abduction not being likely...even though it is in the Rainforest, it is not too far from a highway and towns and villages. This area is only about 40 minutes from where I live and less from other parts of the city. It is not impossible that someone took her. The fact that the sniffer dogs lost her scent very close to the house tells me that she may have been put into a car.

One of my friends is a journalist based in KL and she has been following the story and writing for the Irish Times. I will see if can get any feedback on her regarding the police investigation. I do know that they will be under pressure to do a good job as recent high level cases were mismanaged and pretty much brought the old govenrment down so they are under the microscope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved AH > CA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's just their surroundings are fairly inhospitable, particularly to someone who has special needs.It's so awful.The police seem to be doing well, they have thrown resources at it and they don't seem to have wasted any time starting to comb the house and surrounding area.The rainforest is definitely an added complication though.

I did wonder how well a heat seeking helicopter would work above a rainforest.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

A very sad case doesn't look like an abduction to me.. but who knows. let's hope she is found

mrmorgan wrote: »
    A very sad case doesn't look like an abduction to me.. but who knows. let's hope she is found

The fact that she has special needs and had only just arrived in the resort makes me wonder is she was spooked by her new surroundings and wandered off into the rain forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The fact that she has special needs and had only just arrived in the resort makes me wonder is she was spooked by her new surroundings and wandered off into the rain forest.

Or saw a cute monkey/bird and followed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

ya that's a strong possibility... but also the parents said that she would never wander off... but then the area they were in makes it less likely of an abductor.

very sad case...

Advertisement